tootsie323

Re: 2019 Japanese Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by tootsie323 »

Should be a fun few laps
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

-K-

Post by -K- »

Didn’t it just say tyre condition 70%? Why didn’t he stay out?

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Hahahaha leave him out to apparently 20% tyre life in first Stine and bring him in with 70% tyre life in second stint

Wonder how much vowles or whatever that guy's name gets paid, think he just pulls the pitstop lap numbers out a hat

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:I don't understand that was Vettel even going to catch Hamilton?
This is one of the most baffling calls I've ever seen. Mercedes get too caught up trying to be fair to their drivers. They've literally sabotaged themselves to make sure the best guy wins.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

FormulaFun wrote:Hahahaha leave him out to apparently 20% tyre life in first Stine and bring him in with 70% tyre life in second stint

Wonder how much vowles or whatever that guy's name gets paid, think he just pulls the pitstop lap numbers out a hat
Great strategy, let's leave Hamilton out so he is a pitstop behind.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Invade

Post by Invade »

For sure, Mercedes have spoiled what could have been a thrilling finale by pitting Hamilton again, and it seemed like his times were still competitive and his tyres in fair condition.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

mikeyg123 wrote:
This is one of the most baffling calls I've ever seen. Mercedes get too caught up trying to be fair to their drivers. They've literally sabotaged themselves to make sure the best guy wins.
No idea, now he has to overtake the Ferrari aswell which massively faster in a straight line

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1_Ernie wrote:Hamilton you idiot, you could have won.
It was Mercedes decision for Bottas to win.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 102 (1st)
Pole Positions: 102 (1st)
Podiums: 180 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

Is it just me or is Bottas slow in this race? Is he just managing his race in a very safe way?

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

pokerman wrote:
I know that, what I mean is he should take matters into his own hands.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Indeed Hamilton now has to risk the pass on Vettel, Vowles is a joke.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I do not trust these tyre condition graphics. I am sure Hamilton said they were worn.
Mercedes would not put one of their drivers losing a position to vettel without reason. I don't think it is to do with bottas. If Hamilton could win with what he had, he would have ignored the stop surely.
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

WHO IS VOTING Leclerc AS DRIVER OF THE DAY??

Invade

Post by Invade »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:I do not trust these tyre condition graphics. I am sure Hamilton said they were worn.
Yes this is probably the case. Hamilton was pushing on them hard for many laps. Perhaps not totally worn but not in good condition at least.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1_Ernie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
How can Vowles explain this?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

How to give away a 1-2 to appease the number 2 driver

LBET

Post by LBET »

Johnson wrote:Ferrari are getting the benefit of the doubt and the FIA breaking so many precedents they previously set.
Definitely a poo poo call from the stewards. inconsistent, bordering on favouritism and quite transparently so. A jump start is a jump start if it's an inch or a mile, advantage gained or not. Kimi certainly didn't gain an advantage from his breach of the regs.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Lol he can't get past the Ferrari on the straight ... Who could have predicted that

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

pokerman wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
How can Vowles explain this?
I gave up with him years ago, his been lucky Ferrari have been just as bad if not worse. His not someone I would trust in a close championship battle with another team.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

they could have told Hamilton to let bottas by and keep 2nd cause I don't think vettel would have caught Hamilton

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

FormulaFun wrote:WHO IS VOTING Leclerc AS DRIVER OF THE DAY??
With the drives of Sainz & Ricciardo? No chance
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:I do not trust these tyre condition graphics. I am sure Hamilton said they were worn.
Mercedes would not put one of their drivers losing a position to vettel without reason. I don't think it is to do with bottas. If Hamilton could win with what he had, he would have ignored the stop surely.
13 laps to go and Vettel 15 seconds back and not catching...

No way is this about getting this best result.

32deuce

Post by 32deuce »

Mercedes gave away a 1-2. Don't think Hamilton's tires were dead. Stupid decision.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Johnson wrote:How to give away a 1-2 to appease the number 2 driver
How can this be explained, how is that the best result for the team, also I believe Hamilton could have run the tyres to the end even if it was a case of letting past for fairness.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

32deuce wrote:Mercedes gave away a 1-2. Don't think Hamilton's tires were dead. Stupid decision.
Pretty sure they sacraficed a 1-2 to win the CC & ensure only they could win the DC by getting the fastest lap point.
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

32deuce wrote:Mercedes gave away a 1-2. Don't think Hamilton's tires were dead. Stupid decision.
Mercedes rules of engagement, the guy behind can’t run a different strategy and jump the one ahead. Stupid, they should have ordered Bottas through if they wanted him to win.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:

Let me introduce you to James Vowles.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Invade

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:

Yeah I'm at least pretty sure he would have hung onto 2nd place if he'd been left out.

I have a feeling Bottas would have been able to just about get the job done on Hamilton, but who knows...

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Yeah I'm at least pretty sure he would have hung onto 2nd place if he'd been left out.

I have a feeling Bottas would have been able to just about get the job done on Hamilton, but who knows...
I doubt it, Hamilton couldn’t pass Vettel when he was 2 seconds a lap quicker.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Pretty poor race up front, terribly pathetic way to win seal your WCC

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Johnson wrote:
Mercedes rules of engagement, the guy behind can’t run a different strategy and jump the one ahead. Stupid, they should have ordered Bottas through if they wanted him to win.
Yep I just said that however I guess they have to think would Hamilton let him pass, I actually even have a feeling that Bottas would not have caught him anyway.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Johnson wrote:
Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I doubt it, Hamilton couldn’t pass Vettel when he was 2 seconds a lap quicker.
Yeah but the Ferrari is so fast on the straights it's always very very hard to overtake them, they literally wanted bottas to win so much, and feared him not being able to overtake Hamilton on track so much, that they forfeit a 1-2

Invade

Post by Invade »

pokerman wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Yep I just said that however I guess they have to think would Hamilton let him pass, I actually even have a feeling that Bottas would not have caught him anyway.

Well this is why I was asking earlier, was Bottas just relatively slow today or performing mega management? His pace seemed very ordinary.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Let me introduce you to James Vowles.
I don't think this decision is on Vowles. I don't think Mercedes made the call thinking it was the best way to get a 1-2.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Yet again perhaps we see the reluctance to penalise Ferrari, has a car ever moved and not been penalised at the start, Verstappen gets crashed out nothing happens, Leclerc has bits flying off his car one piece that damages Hamilton's car but no instruction to pit a dangerous car.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Excellent performance by Bottas! Really the best weekend he's had all year IMO. It's the first time in ages where he has held the upper hand over Lewis comprehensively for a weekend. He seemed to have the slight edge through practice and he indeed just edged it in qualifying. In the race, he had a great start and made the strategy work perfectly from the front. Could have put the #44 on the car and you would have had people fooled today. Excellent job.

Lackluster weekend from Lewis and it looked like a frustrating race today. Losing time behind Leclerc and Vettel ruined his race and Mercedes just don't have the speed in a straight line to overtake the Ferraris.

Speaking of Ferrari; what a disaster! Vettel threw away the lead at the start and Charles should have been penalized for taking Max out at turn 2. Within a single lap their drivers had thrown away a 1-2 start. I think they got away with murder too. No false start for Vettel!? Really? That was a blatant false start. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the rule but I thought you were not allowed to move at all at the start until the lights went out. That and no penalty for Charles for blatantly knocking Max out and then driving around littering the track with debris for several laps was just a joke. Someone needs to give Charles a penalty at this point. Ever since being shoved off at Austria; Charles has been driving over the limit IMO. He drove dangerously against Max at Silverstone and Hamilton at Monza and he drive dangerously again today. He needs a slap on the wrist at this point.

Frustrating day for Max but a solid finish for Alex. Great weekend as a whole for Alex and he has taken his biggest step yet towards solidifying himself as Red Bull's second driver for the next couple of years.

Carlos Sainz yet again delivers a good result. Midfield Driver of the Year without question at this point.
Last edited by sandman1347 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

mikeyg123 wrote:

I am sure Hamilton implied he would have to pit before the end. Just before he pitted he was giving it all and will have been doing his tyres no good in traffic. He should have been able to get by vettenafter he pitted. How can we be sure vettel wouldn't have got him if Hamilton did not pit? He sounded like he said he coudn't go much further. It is surely doubtful he would have beaten vettel if that was the case.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:Yet again perhaps we see the reluctance to penalise Ferrari, has a car ever moved and not been penalised at the start, Verstappen gets crashed out nothing happens, Leclerc has bits flying off his car one piece that damages Hamilton's car but no instruction to pit a dangerous car.
I don't know why but the stewards were desperate not to penalise Ferrari today.

The only thing I can think of is the current rumblings about the 2021 regs and Ferrari's Veto..

Invade

Post by Invade »

Bottas pretty much just said he was controlling and pushing when needed, and today that generally wasn't needed. So there you go. Lewis having to play catch-up distorts the picture, I suppose. I reckon if Bottas needed to take matters into his own hands in the end he could have done Lewis had he stayed on a 1-stopper, but we'll never know.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Ultimate Bottas appeasement from Mercedes, but they've earned the luxury to do that. Still won the WCC, and Lewis will cheer up pretty sharpish next race when he inevitably makes it 6.

God only knows what Ferrari were playing at today, yet again...... Leclerc getting held up by the Williams on the last lap was the cherry on a bad particularly bad cake for them today.

As for the Stewarding..... a jump start is about as black and white as it gets, you've effectively opened the door for cars to move before the lights as long as you get it stopped again behind the line before they go green, very, very odd precedent to set.
2018 Pick 10 Champion