Would Lewis win the world Championship in a Ferrari?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
GAZ811

Would Lewis win the world Championship in a Ferrari?

Post by GAZ811 »

I'd probably say Yes he would.What do other people think.

mikeyg123

Re: Would Lewis win the world Championship in a Ferrari?

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think he probably would have done in 2017 or 2018. Nobody can know whats going to happen in the future though.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Like the overwhelming majority of WDC's over the history of F1, it would dramatically depend on the car he's given. He's bloody good, but no driver can drive a slow car to a WDC, even if he is good enough to deliver result better than most in the sport.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

100% in 2017/18. PROBABLY in 2019, but would require some luck.

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Asphalt_World wrote:Like the overwhelming majority of WDC's over the history of F1, it would dramatically depend on the car he's given. He's bloody good, but no driver can drive a slow car to a WDC, even if he is good enough to deliver result better than most in the sport.
That really never made any sense to me. We declare a car as the best car based on which usually wins.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

ReservoirDog wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:Like the overwhelming majority of WDC's over the history of F1, it would dramatically depend on the car he's given. He's bloody good, but no driver can drive a slow car to a WDC, even if he is good enough to deliver results better than most in the sport.
That really never made any sense to me. We declare a car as the best car based on which usually wins.
A driver doesn't normally win the WDC without being in the best, or pretty much the best car on the grid. Therefore Hamilton could possibly bring a car to the WDC that was seen as fractionally slower than another car, but not in a poor car.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

You can never 100% know but my money would be on him for both 2017 and, especially, 2018. 2019 is a much more difficult one to look at. I think Lewis would likely have done a far better job to this point in the season than Vettel has. That's not really saying much because Vettel has made monumental blunders in races like Bahrain, Canada and especially Italy. I think races like Austria might have gone differently with Hamilton in the car as well and with the car really coming on strong now; I honestly don't believe that Sebastian would have the points lead that Lewis does at this point were their positions swapped. I think Hamilton would probably be behind this year if he were in the Ferrari but he would be within striking distance and he would now have the best car and the momentum IMO. Just my 2 cents.

-K-

Post by -K- »

The hybrid era would likely have been more entertaining if he had been, that’s for sure. Ferrari have put out some good cars and some not good cars, and in 2019, it seems to be a 50/50 with their improvement since the break. Mercedes has largely had the best car so the championships would have been closer with mistake prone Vettel in the slightly better car.

Before the break, I’d have said no, assuming Ferrari were going backwards again, but now I think yes. That said, if I was Lewis, I’d be hesitant to go there before breaking the records, as so much of it is strategy also, and it’s been so long since they have won one. Ferrari seems to mess up the strategy more often than Mercedes.

GAZ811

Post by GAZ811 »

sandman1347 wrote:You can never 100% know but my money would be on him for both 2017 and, especially, 2018. 2019 is a much more difficult one to look at. I think Lewis would likely have done a far better job to this point in the season than Vettel has. That's not really saying much because Vettel has made monumental blunders in races like Bahrain, Canada and especially Italy. I think races like Austria might have gone differently with Hamilton in the car as well and with the car really coming on strong now; I honestly don't believe that Sebastian would have the points lead that Lewis does at this point were their positions swapped. I think Hamilton would probably be behind this year if he were in the Ferrari but he would be within striking distance and he would now have the best car and the momentum IMO. Just my 2 cents.
Yes I also think it would depend on who was driving the Mercedes as to if Lewis could win in the Ferrari. Say Alonso was in the Mercedes rather than Bottas or even Vettel that would be a really big ask for Lewis but doable.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Haa yes another thread of the better Ferrari, the same guy who didn't beat Rosberg in '16 or because he had one failure claimed his team is sabotaging him, wait till he meets the strategy department at Ferrari.

Also assuming Vettel would be the other driver in Mercedes, which was delivering a 1,2 at will.

In '17 there were races where Vettel had to stick to the strategy he believed.

Notwithstanding in '17 it was Hamilton's weak start to the season that let Vettel build a gap early on.

Like I said in other threads we are going to get to a point where people would actually say the Ferrari was the dominant car in both years.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Enlightening, but not really answering the question. Years haven't been mentioned so take your pick of which one. Are you saying Ferrari's strategy team have cost Vettel the WDC in the past?

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Rockie wrote:Haa yes another thread of the better Ferrari, the same guy who didn't beat Rosberg in '16 or because he had one failure claimed his team is sabotaging him, wait till he meets the strategy department at Ferrari.

Also assuming Vettel would be the other driver in Mercedes, which was delivering a 1,2 at will.

Notwithstanding in '17 it was Hamilton's weak start to the season that let Vettel build a gap early on.

Like I said in other threads we are going to get to a point where people would actually say the Ferrari was the dominant car in both years.
While all over the place and seem like you're hurt by this thread, you surprisingly bring up a good point.

Whenever we do a "what if Hamilton was driving the Ferrari", we assume a Hamilton at his total best in 20 out of 20 races. But Hamilton traditionally starts a season slow and gets stronger as it progresses. Given this, would he have still won? I'd say, not in 2017. But certo in 2018.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Absolutely in 2018, the Hamilton we have been watching the last few years including this year has been peak Hamilton.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

2018 I think he would pretty much regardless of who was in the Mercedes.

In 2017 it would depend on the driver in the vacant Mercedes. In a straight swap with Vettel? No. Against someone like Bottas/Rosberg as the lead Mercedes driver, possibly yes.

This year? Probably not although it will depend on how Ferrari perform from now until the end of the season.

Blake

Post by Blake »

F1_Ernie wrote:Absolutely in 2018, the Hamilton we have been watching the last few years including this year has been peak Hamilton.
the presence of Lewis would made up 88 points? I am not so sure as there are a lot of variables that would enter into the equation. Even if all variables were perfectly in alignment for Lewis, 88 points is a lot to overcome. Plus, there are some of the teams questionable strategies to have dealt with.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

2017 and 2018 yes in light of Vettels performance against leclerc, I think, in 2018 actually I'd say there's a couple could have possibly done it, ricciardo and verstappen (based on how they drove in 2018) and taking from current driver pool/form leclerc also

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Blake wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:Absolutely in 2018, the Hamilton we have been watching the last few years including this year has been peak Hamilton.
the presence of Lewis would made up 88 points? I am not so sure as there are a lot of variables that would enter into the equation. Even if all variables were perfectly in alignment for Lewis, 88 points is a lot to overcome. Plus, there are some of the teams questionable strategies to have dealt with.
By the end of Italy 2018, Vettel had cost himself 44 points with mistakes (more if you argue he would have got ahead of Raikkonen at Monza had he not spun).

He then lost points due to mistakes in Japan, USA and Brazil which I haven't put a number on because I can't remember the races properly and where he would have ended up without the mistakes. The number isn't then too far off the 88 that Hamilton won the championship by and if you believe Hamilton > Vettel that gives Hamilton more of a chance in the Ferrari.

I agree with Ernie and the others that have said Hamilton wins the 2018 WDC in a Ferrari.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Blake wrote:
That's the season end points difference though, season was done at Mexico. Im pretty sure most of us recognise Hamilton is better than Vettel and Hamilton has been driving at his peak. Vettel lost alot of points during that season and IMO Hamilton would have had a comfortable lead after Singapore, this would drive the team on and Kimi would have been made wing man before then. The only driver I think would have run Hamilton close is Alonso.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

JN23 wrote:
Blake wrote:
By the end of Italy 2018, Vettel had cost himself 44 points with mistakes (more if you argue he would have got ahead of Raikkonen at Monza had he not spun).

He then lost points due to mistakes in Japan, USA and Brazil which I haven't put a number on because I can't remember the races properly and where he would have ended up without the mistakes. The number isn't then too far off the 88 that Hamilton won the championship by and if you believe Hamilton > Vettel that gives Hamilton more of a chance in the Ferrari.

I agree with Ernie and the others that have said Hamilton wins the 2018 WDC in a Ferrari.
Singapore was a big swing in points too.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Would Hamilton in a Ferrari have won against Hamilton in a Mercedes.

'17 - No
'18 - It would be tight but possibly.
'19 - No

JN23

Post by JN23 »

F1_Ernie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Blake wrote:

Vettel didn't make a mistake in Singapore 2018? Or are you talking about Hamilton do an exceptional qualy lap whilst Vettel underperformed?

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Badgeronimous wrote:Would Hamilton in a Ferrari have won against Hamilton in a Mercedes.

'17 - No
'18 - It would be tight but possibly.
'19 - No
I'd say it's more like:

'17-Uncertain but possibly
'18-Almost certainly
'19-Not likely

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

I think that the combination of Lewis Hamilton and his strategist James Vowles could have made the Ferrari a WDC championship car at least once in the last few years. The combination of Lewis Hamilton and the ham-fisted crowd of misfits from Maranello.... well, not so much.
Mission WinLater

Vettel Fan

Post by Vettel Fan »

Not this year. Perhaps last year, but not if Vettel were driving the Mercedes.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I'm not convinced. He doesn't switch teams often at all does he? We don't really know if he could get in the Ferrari and instantly do better than Vettel. I respect that Hamilton has looked the best driver for years now, but i just don't feel we can be certain he could have switched to Ferrari and had the team get it to how he likes quick enough (like it is now at Mercedes) . I see a lot say when they see poor drivers in poor teams that Alonso or Hamilton could have done far better if they were in that car. What proof is there? When has hamilton been in a terrible car? Sorry to say this, but i feel that as he is so good with what is pretty much the best car and certainly was from 2014-2016, i think he may have a sudden swing of performance if he went to poor performing team. Now I know Ferrari is a very good car, but i just don't think him randomly changing would have resulted in him winning titles. If he had been with Ferrari for some time like Vettel, then yes - i think he very possibly would have won the title the last 2 years and possibly this year too.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

No idea how people are calculating the points but I hope that the fact that Hamilton would be at Ferrari getting points for them is offset by the fact that he would not be at Mercedes and they would be losing points as a result. Its like a 6 point fixture in football.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

JN23 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Blake wrote:

Vettel didn't make a mistake in Singapore 2018? Or are you talking about Hamilton do an exceptional qualy lap whilst Vettel underperformed?
Wrong year, unfortunately for Vettel there have been too many mistakes over the last 3 years.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Mort Canard wrote:I think that the combination of Lewis Hamilton and his strategist James Vowles could have made the Ferrari a WDC championship car at least once in the last few years. The combination of Lewis Hamilton and the ham-fisted crowd of misfits from Maranello.... well, not so much.
You say that but Mercedes have made quite alot of strategy errors themselves over the last few years, luckily for them theres a team in red making more errors. With Hamilton in the team you have the best driver on the grid and Mercedes themselves can be to overreliant on Hamjltons pace and how he looks after the tyres.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

2018: Yes!
2017 & 2019: maybe.

pendulumeffect

Post by pendulumeffect »

The trouble is if he was at Ferrari, then Verstappen, Vettel or Riccardo would be at Mercedes by now, or Rosberg racking up the World titles without him in the way, and we'll assume LeClerc is his team mate. But I certainly think he COULD win the title in a Ferrari, just as he has done in a McLaren and a Mercedes.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:I think that the combination of Lewis Hamilton and his strategist James Vowles could have made the Ferrari a WDC championship car at least once in the last few years. The combination of Lewis Hamilton and the ham-fisted crowd of misfits from Maranello.... well, not so much.
You say that but Mercedes have made quite alot of strategy errors themselves over the last few years, luckily for them theres a team in red making more errors. With Hamilton in the team you have the best driver on the grid and Mercedes themselves can be to overreliant on Hamjltons pace and how he looks after the tyres.
Yes Merc and Vowles have made a number of strategy errors, but as you said nowhere near as many screw ups as Team Red have made.

...and yes, Ferrari and RBR would have touted as glorious victors if Merc had to rely on the skills of Valtteri Bottas for their number one driver.
Mission WinLater

froze

Post by froze »

pendulumeffect wrote:The trouble is if he was at Ferrari, then Verstappen, Vettel or Riccardo would be at Mercedes by now, or Rosberg racking up the World titles without him in the way, and we'll assume LeClerc is his team mate. But I certainly think he COULD win the title in a Ferrari, just as he has done in a McLaren and a Mercedes.
Exactly. It all depends on who is at Mercedes. If it's Verstappen, then I'd say Lewis wouldn't win in a Ferrari.
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Probably not as like others have pointed out it would free up a top position at Mercedes.

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

froze wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:The trouble is if he was at Ferrari, then Verstappen, Vettel or Riccardo would be at Mercedes by now, or Rosberg racking up the World titles without him in the way, and we'll assume LeClerc is his team mate. But I certainly think he COULD win the title in a Ferrari, just as he has done in a McLaren and a Mercedes.
Exactly. It all depends on who is at Mercedes. If it's Verstappen, then I'd say Lewis wouldn't win in a Ferrari.
Against the contact prone(similar to Vettel) Verstappen we all know? I doubt he would have had a perfect season in a Mercedes.

It's all good he is in a (slower)RB so people tend to "forget".

In a situation like Monza 2018 against Lewis and Raikkonen, I don't think he would have come out on top(he would have certainly crashed), and he would have scored less poles than Lewis.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

froze wrote:
Well in 2017 and 2018 Kimi would be in the other Ferrari. I doubt there would be many worries with Vettel in the Mercedes, Verstappen doesn't have the experience of a title fight and had alot of contact with other drivers in the last couple of years, Ricciardo has experience but not in a title fight. The only driver who could really fight Hamilton in the Mercedes is Alonso IMO.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Rockie wrote:Haa yes another thread of the better Ferrari, the same guy who didn't beat Rosberg in '16 or because he had one failure claimed his team is sabotaging him, wait till he meets the strategy department at Ferrari.

Hamilton had 4 engine issues in 2016. Russia Q, China Q, Spa Q and Malaysia R. 3 failures and 1 engine change grid penalty. This gifted Rosberg 4 wins. Yet you are the one talking about re-writing history at the end of your post.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

2017, I would say no.

2018, yes.

2019, maybe but only if he was in Leclerc car that hasn’t had many mechanical issues so far. He would also likely be behind at this point and needing to win most of the remaining races.

SR1

Post by SR1 »

Mort Canard wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Yes Merc and Vowles have made a number of strategy errors, but as you said nowhere near as many screw ups as Team Red have made.

...and yes, Ferrari and RBR would have touted as glorious victors if Merc had to rely on the skills of Valtteri Bottas for their number one driver.
In 2018, i think Mercedes made some kind of strategy error in at least 10 races. How does that compare to Ferrari, for 2018?

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

SR1 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

In 2018, i think Mercedes made some kind of strategy error in at least 10 races. How does that compare to Ferrari, for 2018?
What did the strategy error cost him compared to Ferrari?

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Rockie wrote:
SR1 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

What did the strategy error cost him compared to Ferrari?
Strategic errors cost Hamilton wins in Australia and Austria (though Austria is uncertain due to the mechanical failure) and possibly China as well (should have stopped when Dan and Max stopped). There were also a few smaller strategic errors that were less costly that year.

The better question would be; what did strategic errors cost Vettel in 2018? I think people have come up with this mythology that 2018 was a particularly disastrous year for Ferrari from a strategy standpoint but I don't see it. The biggest strategic errors they made were in qualifying sessions; where they failed to properly time things for their drivers more than once. Kimi didn't have enough fuel for his last run in Q3 at Spa and both Kimi and Vettel were sent out on wet tires to start Q3 in Japan; costing them a chance to do a genuine hot lap in the best conditions. I think you could argue that they also should have been more decisive in Germany when they dawdled for several laps before moving Kimi out of Vettel's way. That's about it though.

I think this bashing of Ferrari's strategy in 2018 really comes mostly from the desire to defend Vettel. 2018 was all about Vettel and his many many critical errors. Ferrari did not lose because of the car or the team that year. It was the man behind the wheel.