It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:04 pm 

Quote:
It is quiet in the F1 paddock in Sochi. The F1 circus has been flat out for the whole of the month of September with four races in five weekends, but beneath the surface things are bubbling away.

The word is that there will soon be a major announcement with McLaren ending its relationship with Renault and moving to become a customer of Mercedes, its long-time partner in the 1990s and 2000s. The logic behind the move is pretty sensible. If you cannot have a factory engine of your own, the best thing to have is a customer supply of the best available engines

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesawar ... um=twitter

Would be an interesting shake up. OTOH Merc power units don't seem to be doing much for Racing point on a consistent basis and aren't helping Williams problems at all seemingly.

This would leave Renault without any customers for it's power units.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:09 pm 

What do they know about Renault next year I wonder?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:18 pm 

Didn’t Eddie Jordan say this 3 months ago?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:14 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Didn’t Eddie Jordan say this 3 months ago?

Yes Eddie predicted the move in July.
Former Jordan Boss Predicts McLaren Reuniting with Mercedes
https://www.essentiallysports.com/forme ... -mercedes/

...and McLaren denied it at the time.
McLaren: Jordan "wrong" on Mercedes engine deal claim
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 51/899851/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:40 pm 

This is excellent news for McLaren. Their car looks pretty solid finally but it seems like perhaps the PU might be keeping them from looking even better.
As one person commented below the posted article, as long as Cyril Abiteboul is in charge of Renault, they'll go exactly where Caterham went under his
leadership. Something about him has just never sat well with me. Like he's more into playing games than he is interested in getting everything right wherever
he's at. I think Renault F1 is where they are both because and in spite of him and This hiring of Ricciardo was a spiteful move on his part to one up Horner
and nothing more, and now the sudden appointment of Ocon midway through the 2019 campaign disrupting the morale at Renault shows how inept he is
as a "leader". That announcement should have been kept under wraps until the end of the season, unless they informed Hulkenberg and he announced signing
elsewhere first. And honestly had he kept it under wraps, Hulkenberg would've had more leverage in shopping himself around to other teams. Hulk may be
a commodity to some teams, but being out of a ride, now they can get him on the cheap because it's either take it or leave F1, possibly for good.

I don't like his style of doing anything.

However, with Ferrari's rise in the PU department, I hope Mercedes improve their PU for 2020 and bridge the slight gap that exist at the moment.
If next year's McLaren is as good or better than this year, we might be in for a very exciting season with 4 teams in the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
This is excellent news for McLaren. Their car looks pretty solid finally but it seems like perhaps the PU might be keeping them from looking even better.
As one person commented below the posted article, as long as Cyril Abiteboul is in charge of Renault, they'll go exactly where Caterham went under his
leadership. Something about him has just never sat well with me. Like he's more into playing games than he is interested in getting everything right wherever
he's at. I think Renault F1 is where they are both because and in spite of him and This hiring of Ricciardo was a spiteful move on his part to one up Horner
and nothing more, and now the sudden appointment of Ocon midway through the 2019 campaign disrupting the morale at Renault shows how inept he is
as a "leader". That announcement should have been kept under wraps until the end of the season, unless they informed Hulkenberg and he announced signing
elsewhere first. And honestly had he kept it under wraps, Hulkenberg would've had more leverage in shopping himself around to other teams. Hulk may be
a commodity to some teams, but being out of a ride, now they can get him on the cheap because it's either take it or leave F1, possibly for good.

However, with Ferrari's rise in the PU department, I hope Mercedes improve their PU for 2020 and bridge the slight gap that exist at the moment.
If next year's McLaren is as good or better than this year, we might be in for a very exciting season with 4 teams in the mix.

Teams make driver announcements for next season all the time. What was unusual in announcing Ocon? I can't think of a team on the grid that has not done this apart from Maybe Haas. I can't remember when Magnussen was announced.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:27 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Teams make driver announcements for next season all the time. What was unusual in announcing Ocon? I can't think of a team on the grid that has not done this apart from Maybe Haas. I can't remember when Magnussen was announced.

Usually it's drivers who are stinking up the joint. And while Hulk isn't setting the world on fire, he's not doing a bad job. I think for a guy who was signed as potentially their ace for the foreseeable future, once they signed Ricciardo he became dispensable. I always take issue with that. The Gasly Albon switch made sense because Gasly was pretty ghastly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Usually it's drivers who are stinking up the joint. And while Hulk isn't setting the world on fire, he's not doing a bad job. I think for a guy who was signed as potentially their ace for the foreseeable future, once they signed Ricciardo he became dispensable. I always take issue with that. The Gasly Albon switch made sense because Gasly was pretty ghastly.

But this is how it always works. They brought in someone better. And it's not like Hulkenberg was fired. He will come to the end of his contract. I really don't see the issue here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:44 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

But this is how it always works. They brought in someone better. And it's not like Hulkenberg was fired. He will come to the end of his contract. I really don't see the issue here.

Maybe it wasn't necessarily Hulkenberg's driving but more Renault's financial expectations when it comes to driver payments that sealed his fate.

There were rumours Renault were keen to do a deal with Merc for Ocon to help offset the $20m a yr they're forking out for Ricciardo.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 366 trophies available, 27 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 am 

This is now official:

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/11 ... 07361?s=19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:48 am 

Reading twitter has made me aware that the rules seem to state one engine supplier can only supply three teams. Williams-Renault or Racing Point Renault?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:34 am 

JN23 wrote:
Reading twitter has made me aware that the rules seem to state one engine supplier can only supply three teams. Williams-Renault or Racing Point Renault?

Or a third one for Honda?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:55 am 

JN23 wrote:

Didn't realise that, interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:13 am 

JN23 wrote:

Sure it's not a 4 team limit?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 366 trophies available, 27 won

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:42 am 

They can do 4 teams if they get permission from the FIA, reading a quote from the regs in the comments on GrandPrix247. With the wording it seemed to me that they were going that route.

Ferrari are already supplying themselves and 2 customer teams (barring say Haas going for a switch.) Honda’s current deal with Red Bull seems to be up in 2021 so they could take another team at that time (I’m guessing they could offer the engines to Red Bull for cheaper on the condition that they no longer had exclusivity.)

Williams extended to 2025 so that would seem to suggest Racing Point-Renault or Honda is the most likely, unless Mercedes could buy themselves out of the deal.

Do Mercedes get anything linked to their customer teams’ performances that would make them prefer to supply Racing Point to Williams at this point in time? If so, I wonder if Williams’ history in the sport would lead Mercedes to give them the time, assuming that they will rise back up the ranks in the future.

Claire said she didn’t want Williams to be a Mercedes B team so it would be ironic if they ended up without Mercedes engines.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:01 am 

Interesting comment from Zac Brown on Sky when being interviewed about the change.

He was asked about the relationship with Renault going forward and he said basically Macca don't want to burn any bridges because you never know what the future holds. He then said "There's already a team in F1 that no-one wants to work with anymore & we don't want to be there".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:27 am 

Racing Point(RP) will be or are using the Mercedes wind tunnel for the 2020 car! If RP were to shift to some other engine manufacturer, would this deal have made any sense to be used just for 1 year?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:48 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Interesting comment from Zac Brown on Sky when being interviewed about the change.

He was asked about the relationship with Renault going forward and he said basically Macca don't want to burn any bridges because you never know what the future holds. He then said "There's already a team in F1 that no-one wants to work with anymore & we don't want to be there".

Sorry Zak but that's just not true. Honda were (and are) happy to work with them, while Ferrari and Mercedes didn't want to work with them for competitive reasons, i.e. not wanting to end up in a scenario where a customer team is beating their works teams to the title. Renault are the only team who probably don't want to work with Red Bull. If your own team was more competitive then perhaps Mercedes wouldn't have been so keen to start supplying you again...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:42 pm 

Could this also indicate Mercedes Works team won't be there in 2021? Then there would only be 3 teams using Mercedes engines.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:43 pm 

I wonder what Ron thinks of all of this engine argy bargy? Isn't this just where the team was before the move to Honda before the move to RenRen?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:48 pm 

Not sure that this is going to help McLaren. Who knows who will have the upper hand in the next regulations? Unless McLaren know something we don’t. Or maybe they don’t feel that they are getting all the “toys” with the current Renault PU.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:59 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Not sure that this is going to help McLaren. Who knows who will have the upper hand in the next regulations? Unless McLaren know something we don’t. Or maybe they don’t feel that they are getting all the “toys” with the current Renault PU.

Or maybe they know something about the future of Renault in F1 that we don't. (speculation by me)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:50 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
What do they know about Renault next year I wonder?

kleefton wrote:

JN23 wrote:
Or maybe they know something about the future of Renault in F1 that we don't. (speculation by me)

Thats 3 people with the same thought.

Renault said earlier in the year that their future depends on the 2021 financials.

But then so did McLaren who clearly must be carrying on. The cap was agreed at $175m though the the technical and sporting regulations were are supposed to be being finalised at the end of next month.

More to come on this I think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:44 am 

But One Thousand Horsepower!!!!! I guess we can add McLaren's management to the list of people who don't believe Renault's power claims. How long until Williams announces Renault power going forward?

I agree that Renault's future in F1 is highly suspect, but I think that their departure would cause far more trouble than just McLaren needing a Mercedes engine deal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:45 am 

McLaren should have held on to Honda longer. They are going to be changing engine supplier every 3 years in the hope it gets them back to the front, but the fact is that since they left Honda there is no other engine supplier that will give them the power to win a world title. They need a tie up with a large engine manufacturer outside F1 with the tools to build a competitive engine from scratch or build their own.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 am 

Option or Prime wrote:

Renault said earlier in the year that their future depends on the 2021 financials.

But then so did McLaren who clearly must be carrying on. The cap was agreed at $175m though the the technical and sporting regulations were are supposed to be being finalised at the end of next month.

More to come on this I think.

What's this? An F1 team threatens to quit if they don't get the playing field that suits them?

What's this sport coming to?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:05 pm 

There have been supposed rumours in Russia Mercedes may leave F1 after 2020 & concentrate wholly on Formula E. In a way, McLaren would then become the works team of Mercedes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
There have been supposed rumours in Russia Mercedes may leave F1 after 2020 & concentrate wholly on Formula E. In a way, McLaren would then become the works team of Mercedes.

I heard that as well but I think it's a case of putting two and two together to get five.

Merc won't leave F1 whilst their winning and Hamilton is there IMO. After that then who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:32 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

That has been played down by Wolff. Wolff denies Mclaren to be new Mercedes works team.

There has been some speculation that Hamilton might drive the FE car for Mercedes but in an interview on C4 when asked "Would you drive in FE?" he gave a straight no.

If Mercedes did pull out of F1 I think he would go straight to Ferrari, which he didn't dismiss.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:52 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
That has been played down by Wolff. Wolff denies Mclaren to be new Mercedes works team.

He'd deny it either way, in fairness.

Option or Prime wrote:
There has been some speculation that Hamilton might drive the FE car for Mercedes but in an interview on C4 when asked "Would you drive in FE?" he gave a straight no.

Wouldn't surprise me if he did a one-off test though. Free PR for the FE squad, and we know F1 teams like to mess with the press at times.

Option or Prime wrote:
If Mercedes did pull out of F1 I think he would go straight to Ferrari, which he didn't dismiss.

Depends who is on top at any given moment really, I'd expect both Ferrari and Red Bull to try, but McLaren might have more of a draw.

JN23 wrote:
Merc won't leave F1 whilst their winning and Hamilton is there IMO. After that then who knows.

Don't forget the plan for BMW Sauber was to take the title and immediately sell the team while it was winning. I can't say for sure if they would have stuck to that plan though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:23 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

This is my feeling too. The only way he'll leave Mercedes is if they pull out altogether, in which case he'll be on the first flight to Maranello. He won't go anywhere near Red Bull.

Until then, his loyalty is to Mercedes and for good reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 am 

If you were to ask me, I think Honda might be pulling the plug. No inside news, no reason to say this, it's just my gut feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:18 am 

paul_gmb wrote:
If you were to ask me, I think Honda might be pulling the plug. No inside news, no reason to say this, it's just my gut feeling.

But McLaren have Renault engines at the moment or is that a different comment?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 pm 

Never should have parted ways with Mercedes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:18 pm 

Sainz must be thanking his lucky stars for joining McLaren & leaving the Red Bull driver's program altogether. McLaren with Mercedes power is surely going to be joining the top tier of teams in 2021. They have the financial clout & are improving their car steadily & with a consistent Mercedes engine at the back, it will push them ahead of the midfield group & give a good shot for podiums to Sainz & Norris.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:26 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sainz must be thanking his lucky stars for joining McLaren & leaving the Red Bull driver's program altogether. McLaren with Mercedes power is surely going to be joining the top tier of teams in 2021. They have the financial clout & are improving their car steadily & with a consistent Mercedes engine at the back, it will push them ahead of the midfield group & give a good shot for podiums to Sainz & Norris.

Why? Had he continued to play ball at STR he'd be in winning car already let alone podiums.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:08 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Why? Had he continued to play ball at STR he'd be in winning car already let alone podiums.

But isn't he better off having Norris as a team mate when compared to Verstappen who most likely would put him in shade & Sainz would be yo-yoing like Kvyat & Gasly did? I think he's good a good future at McLaren which has good prospects for becoming a top team. Red Bull universe is a 1 sided (Verstappen sided) pressure cooker for others.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:14 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

But isn't he better off having Norris as a team mate when compared to Verstappen who most likely would put him in shade & Sainz would be yo-yoing like Kvyat & Gasly did? I think he's good a good future at McLaren which has good prospects for becoming a top team. Red Bull universe is a 1 sided (Verstappen sided) pressure cooker for others.

I don't think so. Norris is as quick already. By next season he'll be a better point scorer. Getting beat by Vertsappen in a race winning car would be better for him than being beat by Norris.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:59 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I don't think so. Norris is as quick already. By next season he'll be a better point scorer. Getting beat by Vertsappen in a race winning car would be better for him than being beat by Norris.

Just like it was for Gasly??????????? Also as I see it, Sainz is mostly beating Norris even when Norris doesn't retire due to some bad luck. Norris & Sainz complement each other as teammates, individuals etc. which am sure Sainz would be happy when compared to Red Bull's barbaric environment.

Probably no one will be good when the team is supporting Verstappen only. McLaren aren't as cruel as Red Bull who scrap their driver's performance without being lenient or understanding it's that driver's first few races in a top car against a highly skilled driver.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:20 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Just like it was for Gasly??????????? Also as I see it, Sainz is mostly beating Norris even when Norris doesn't retire due to some bad luck. Norris & Sainz complement each other as teammates, individuals etc. which am sure Sainz would be happy when compared to Red Bull's barbaric environment.

Probably no one will be good when the team is supporting Verstappen only. McLaren aren't as cruel as Red Bull who scrap their driver's performance without being lenient or understanding it's that driver's first few races in a top car against a highly skilled driver.

Mclaren binned off Perez and Magnussen within a season despite them almost matching their world champion team mate. Red Bull are no special case here.

Sainz is better than Gasly. Norris will improve next year don't forget. I'd sooner be getting beaten by Verstappen in a Red Bull than Norris in a Mclaren.