It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:56 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:46 am 

This is something that has always bugged me about 1999-2005 ferrari.. Every teams drivers would wear overalls made by the same people, be it sparco, puma, alpinestars.. You get the idea..

Yet in ferrari it was different, schumi always wore OMP, Irvine/Barrichello sabelt, just seemed weird to me, especially seeing as at least in 2005 the rest of the team wore puma, somehow I don't think it was a sponsorship thing, but even as that it's just a touch strange that such a big team would do something like that

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:34 am 

It might have been a personal sponsorship thing, but far more likely it was down to comfort. Ferrari are one of those teams that can afford to shop around, and I dare say they discovered that while Schumacher found OMP the most comfortable to race in, Irvine and Barrichello were happiest with Sabelt. And my guess about Puma is that that was a supply deal that put Puma's name out there a little more prominently than a straightforward purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:20 pm 

Sabelt were official supplier to Ferrari but Schumacher had it in his contract he could negotiate personal sponsors. OMP paid to supply Schumacher.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:39 pm 

I suspect it has to do with both sponsorship and personal choice/best fit. Rosberg famously changed his gloves (although I am not sure if he changed glove spec or supplier) for his 2016 WDC, as the seams were bothering him and he found it so much better to wear - small things that matter I guess. I also remember Barrichello using different brakes types, that they suited him better than his teammate (I think at) Brawn GP.

I personally couldn't care less, in a sense that as long as the equipment used pass the tests that they need to pass and conform to whatever regs, I do not mind whatever brand they are (with a caveat that they'd have to be from a company with an ethical background, not employing a sweatshop with kids somewhere). They'd need to follow some rules obviously - for example in Ferrari they will have to have the Ferrari red colour - otherwise it would be fine by me.

But this happens across a lot of sports, recently the "last dance" showed how Michael Jordan was cleverly covering his Reebok uniform with a USA flag over his shoulders while in the Dream Team as he was contracted with Nike to only wear Nike branded stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:31 am 

I looked at 2006 and yep, massa wears the puma ones like everyone else..except chumi who continues with OMP, I get he probably had a contract/sponsorship with OMP but seems a bit..its like Cruyff in the 70's only having 2 stripes on his dutch adidas shirts cos of his Puma sponsorship. it does seem like the sort of thing in the modern F1 era they'd want everyone to be..well..uniform

I couldn't see..say Ron Dennis handling that sorta thing well, hell apparently it was a big thing for him to accept Senna having his National Bank sponsor on the overalls.imagine if he wanted a different company to make them too?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:32 am 

Ron Dennis nearly signed Schumacher, the deal never went through because Schumacher wanted to put personal sponsors on his cap. Namely DVAG who sponsored him his entire career.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Ron Dennis nearly signed Schumacher, the deal never went through because Schumacher wanted to put personal sponsors on his cap. Namely DVAG who sponsored him his entire career.

This is interesting. I have not seen anything confirming this (re the sponsorship), but this article alludes to personal differences with Dennis:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/55775 ... ith-dennis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:42 pm 

With my tongue in my cheek somewhat, might I suggest that it was only OMG who could make race suits using lead thread :-)