PLEASE, shorten future Singapore GPs!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
DFWdude

PLEASE, shorten future Singapore GPs!

Post by DFWdude »

Among the twelve rounds that comprise the Singapore GP since 2008, all but 2 have flirted with the two-hour time limit. Four races actually ran the full 2-hours and beyond. (How the 2017 race consumed 2:03”23 with lap times of 1:45ish still begs explanation.) Two other races finished within a minute of 2 hours. At 1:51”11, the 2018 race was the single outlier to finish with more than 5 minutes remaining.

When this race isn’t beset with monsoon rains, it is put into precession mode with lots of Safety Cars. Through the years, some of the mickey mouse corners have been streamlined to shorten lap times. Yet, the race still runs too long. There simply is no time buffer to allow for any delays without bumping into the 2-hour time limit. TV coverage always runs well over its allotted timeslot.

I suppose there are some who feel that this street race at night is exciting. But for me, when it isn’t raining, the most interesting part of this event are TV shots of the stunning Marina Bay Sands Hotel, and other beautiful landmarks.

Otherwise, the racing is poor. Even with 3 DRS zones, the straights are not long enough, so the leaders seldom pass each other. The leaders run slowly to manage the tires. We’re left to watch the midfield play bumper cars, instead. Year after year, this race is so boring, it’s no wonder the 2-hour time limit could not come soon enough.

Maybe that’s why I concluded – years ago – that 61 laps for this race is too long, 191.54 miles too long. It needs to be shortened. I realize the general standard for F1 tracks is around 190 miles. But history has proven that Singapore is just not suited for it.

56 laps (175.84 miles) sounds about right to me. This length would put it among some fine company without worry of being shorter than other tracks. Monaco is 161.885 miles, Baku is 162.43 miles, Suzuka is 179.51 miles, etc…. and all of those finish well ahead of their 2-hour limit.

Attack....
Last edited by DFWdude on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikeyg123

Re: PLEASE, shorten future Singapore GPs!

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:Among the twelve rounds that comprise the Singapore GP since 2008, all but 2 have flirted with the two-hour time limit. Four races actually ran the full 2-hours and beyond. (How the 2017 race consumed 2:03”23 with lap times of 1:45ish still begs explanation.) Two other races finished within a minute of 2 hours. At 1:51”11, the 2018 race was the single outlier to finish with more than 5 minutes remaining.

When this race isn’t beset with monsoon rains, it is put into precession mode with lots of Safety Cars. Through the years, some of the mickey mouse corners have been streamlined to shorten lap times. Yet, the race still runs too long. There simply is no time buffer to allow for any delays without bumping into the 2-hour time limit. TV coverage always runs well over its allotted timeslot.

I suppose there are some who feel that this street race at night is exciting. But for me, when it isn’t raining, the most interesting part of this event are TV shots of the stunning Marina Bay Sands Hotel, and other beautiful landmarks.

Otherwise, the racing is poor. Even with 3 DRS zones, the straights are not long enough, so the leaders seldom pass each other. The leaders run slowly to manage the tires. We’re left to watch the midfield play bumper cars, instead. Year after year, this race is so boring, it’s no wonder the 2-hour time limit could not come soon enough.

Maybe that’s why I concluded – years ago – that 61 laps for this race is too long, 191.54 miles too long. It needs to be shortened. I realize the general standard for F1 tracks is around 190 miles. But history has proven that Singapore is just not suited for it.

56 laps (175.84 miles) sounds about right to me. This length would put it among some fine company without worry of being shorter than other tracks. Monaco is 161.885 miles, Baku is 162.45 miles, Suzuka is 173.73 miles, etc…. and all of those finish well ahead of their 2-hour limit.

Attack....
I don't get the problem?

The circuit doesn't suit this current formula. Pre 2014 it produced it's fair share of good races. TBH I'd rather the other races were lengthened to take them closer to the full two hours.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Baku and Suzuka are both approx 190 mile races, like every race except Monaco

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:Among the twelve rounds that comprise the Singapore GP since 2008, all but 2 have flirted with the two-hour time limit. Four races actually ran the full 2-hours and beyond. (How the 2017 race consumed 2:03”23 with lap times of 1:45ish still begs explanation.) Two other races finished within a minute of 2 hours. At 1:51”11, the 2018 race was the single outlier to finish with more than 5 minutes remaining.

56 laps (175.84 miles) sounds about right to me. This length would put it among some fine company without worry of being shorter than other tracks. Monaco is 161.885 miles, Baku is 162.45 miles, Suzuka is 173.73 miles, etc…. and all of those finish well ahead of their 2-hour limit.

Attack....
I don't get the problem?

The circuit doesn't suit this current formula. Pre 2014 it produced it's fair share of good races. TBH I'd rather the other races were lengthened to take them closer to the full two hours.
Among the 6 races before 2014, 3 races finished less than a minute before the 2-hours, if not over. The remaining 3 races ended with just a couple minutes to spare.

The current formula has nothing to do with it.
Last edited by DFWdude on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

JN23 wrote:Baku and Suzuka are both approx 190 mile races, like every race except Monaco
Sorry, but no…

Suzuka (53 laps @ 3.387mi = 179.51mi)… http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/circuit/1312.html

Baku (51 laps @ 3.185mi = 162.43mi)… http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/circuit/214423.html

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Attack....
I don't get the problem?

Among the 6 races before 2014, 3 races finished within a minute of the 2-hours, if not over. The remaining 3 races ended with just a couple minutes to spare.

I'm saying we had a decent amount of good races not that they were shorter. If the races are OK why would you want them to be shorter?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:
JN23 wrote:Baku and Suzuka are both approx 190 mile races, like every race except Monaco
Sorry, but no…

Suzuka (53 laps @ 3.387mi = 179.51mi)… http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/circuit/1312.html

Baku (51 laps @ 3.185mi = 162.43mi)… http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/circuit/214423.html
Baku is 3.7 miles and Suzuka is 3.61.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Attack....
I don't get the problem?

Among the 6 races before 2014, 3 races finished within a minute of the 2-hours, if not over. The remaining 3 races ended with just a couple minutes to spare.

I'm saying we had a decent amount of good races not that they were shorter. If the races are OK why would you want them to be shorter?
IMO, the only memorable Singapore race was 2017, when VET and RAI punted each other before the first corner. And the rest of that race was a sleeper. As noted before, why it was allowed to run 3 minutes over time is still a mystery.
Last edited by DFWdude on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:
Sorry, but no…

I have quoted my sources. Where are yours?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Attack....
I don't get the problem?

IMO, the only memorable Singapore race was 2017, when VET and RAI punted each other before the first corner. And the rest of that race was a sleeper.
2012 was an absolute cracker. 2010 was good as well and 2008 was pretty memorable....

F1 Racer

Post by F1 Racer »

It's a terrible track and I worry that F1 seems to be gradually shifting towards more street circuits in major cities, and they never consistently provide good races. I seem to recall Valencia being a snooze-fest most of the time, and Singapore is the same.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:
Sorry, but no…

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2019 ... ml#circuit

I'm not making it up mate.

Yours say the same. I think you must be doing the conversion wrong.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:
Sorry, but no…

I'm not making it up either. I'm taking the circuit length (in miles) directly from ESPN reference for each circuit... http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/circ ... eason=2019

Regardless, when 1/3 of the races to date are called due to time limit (rather than racing), something needs to be done. 61 laps is too many at Singapore.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
DFWdude wrote: Sorry, but no…

I'm not making it up either. I'm taking the circuit length (in miles) directly from ESPN reference for each circuit... http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/circ ... eason=2019

Regardless, when 1/3 of the races to date are called due to time limit (rather than racing), something needs to be done. 61 laps is too many at Singapore.
Your ESPN reference is in KM. Suzuka for example is 5.807km which is 3.6083 miles.

I don't understand why a race going to the full allotted 2 hours is a problem? Or why something would need to be done to stop that from happening?

Herb

Post by Herb »

I have the opposite opinion. I don't think races should be limited to 2 hours.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Your ESPN reference is in KM. Suzuka for example is 5.807km which is 3.6083 miles.

I don't understand why a race going to the full allotted 2 hours is a problem? Or why something would need to be done to stop that from happening?
And yet the ESPN circuit graphic shows the mileage to be 5.451km, or 3.387 miles...

All of this is off the topic. I suppose I included it because someone will state that all races should be 190 miles, when not all tracks conform. Certainly we have Monaco as a good example. And I enjoy Monaco GPs every year. Singapore, not so much, if at all.

The true question is whether people like races that habitually bump into the 2-hour time frame, and whether shortening a race that habitually does will be noticed by anyone.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Disagree. I enjoy settling in for the duration and having the added - will it go to laps/time factor.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And yet the ESPN circuit graphic shows the mileage to be 5.451km, or 3.387 miles...

All of this is off the topic. I suppose I included it because someone will state that all races should be 190 miles, when not all tracks conform. Certainly we have Monaco as a good example. And I enjoy Monaco GPs every year. Singapore, not so much, if at all.

The true question is whether people like races that habitually bump into the 2-hour time frame, and whether shortening a race that habitually does will be noticed by anyone.
Yeah the graphic is wrong. Look at the first link you provided - http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/circuit/1312.html

The distance is listed twice and differently. Once in the graphic and once on the side.

Why shouldn't a race last the full two hours?

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

mikeyg123 wrote: Why shouldn't a race last the full two hours?
B-E-C-A-U-S-E... When the race is called prematurely when it runs over, you guys then complain that it wasn't resolved by racing to the flag. You guys always need something to complain about.

This circuit -- alone among all the others -- habitually ends right on the button, if not over 1/3 of the time (4 of 12 races). I'm simply suggesting that shortening this race to 56 laps will not be noticed. Certainly the TV commentators would no longer have the topic to bring up -- every year -- at Singapore.

Not that any of you care, but just ask the TV Network guys what they think of Singapore, and they will tell you in no uncertain terms. Singapore is a TV nightmare.

Shortening a race due to the elements is understandable. Having a race that every year bumps into the time limit is not.
Last edited by DFWdude on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

DFWdude wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote: Why shouldn't a race last the full two hours?
B-E-C-A-U-S-E... When the race is called prematurely when it runs over, you guys then complain that it wasn't resolved by racing to the flag. You guys always need something to complain about.

This circuit -- alone among all the others -- habitually ends right on the button, if not over (1/3 of the time, 4/12 races). I'm simply suggesting that shortening this race to 56 laps will not be noticed. Certainly the TV commentators would no longer have the topic to bring up -- every year -- at Singapore.

Shortening a race due to the elements is understandable. Having a race that every year bumps into the time limit is not.
I've never heard anyone complaining about that. Like genuinely never.

I don't think it's an issue to have a race around 2 hours long.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

I've never heard people complain about a race timing out. We all know it's happening because we're told. Therefore the drivers know it's coming up.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Ja'a

Post by Ja'a »

As for my memory, this is really the first time someone asking to shorten the number of laps for a circuit, really..

I'm not sure if the OP asking to reduce the number of laps is due to the race being bored and wanted it to ends sooner, or genuinely due to nature of circuit being impractical having considered numerous factors such as driver become too dehydrated, or too many gear shifting over the full race, or less laps = more fuel can be used so drivers don't have to hold back to save fuels, etc...

Being an F1 fans for almost 2decades, I'll say hey let's just make the race to be 3 hours long because you know, 2weeks of waiting for the next GP is already too much for me..

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think we could actually race to time rather than laps. It would add an extra dimension to strategy. I'm not saying it should necessarily be 2 hours but a timed race rather than a known number of laps could throw up variables.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

Just watch the highlight show on channel 4 - problem solved

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Much of nothing really. When races are snoozefests everyone wants them finished, when there is great racing they want them to go on forever...

But the 2 hours limit is not the real problem in F1 now, is it?

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

mikeyg123 wrote:I think we could actually race to time rather than laps. It would add an extra dimension to strategy. I'm not saying it should necessarily be 2 hours but a timed race rather than a known number of laps could throw up variables.
This I actually quite like.

I agree it could throw all sorts of variables into the strategy mix. Much better than a lot of the other gimmicks that are being bandied about imho. :)

tim3003

Post by tim3003 »

It doesn't need to be shortened. It needs to be scrapped. The track is clearly not good enough for F1; it's too slow and has too few overtaking opportunities. A similar track, Valencia, was dumped after 2 tedious races. Presumably it's money that keeps Singapore on the calendar - or maybe the hollow cachet of being the first night race..

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

All races are first lap after 190 miles except Monaco

I agree Singapore needs to be shortened, could quite easily be reduced to the same length as Monaco. If its dry Its a slam dunk one stopper. The pace is pathetic and its not just this year, I recall hamilton was told to push in one of his victories and he went 4+ seconds faster on the next lap. Not sure how anyone finds it exciting and the only way to overtake is to wildly send it which the people with nothing to lose do resulting in laps behind a safety car...

Its not a challenging track at all

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

SteveW wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:I think we could actually race to time rather than laps. It would add an extra dimension to strategy. I'm not saying it should necessarily be 2 hours but a timed race rather than a known number of laps could throw up variables.
This I actually quite like.

I agree it could throw all sorts of variables into the strategy mix. Much better than a lot of the other gimmicks that are being bandied about imho. :)
Not saying this is good or bad but it has already happened in Formula E in Mexico last year.

Basically the front few drivers ran a slightly faster pace than expected, whilst battling for the lead. They inadvertently crossed the start line with about five seconds to go and thus triggered an extra lap. Caught out half the field who ran out of energy on the last lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NoeleP_UB4

Probably the most mental end to a race I've seen for years.
I remember when this website was all fields.

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

You dislike being entertained for 2 hours? You're free to switch off the telly at the 40 lap mark while others enjoy another few laps of entertainment.

Please entertain me less - said nobody ever. Except you.

shay550

Post by shay550 »

It's a race that clearly divides opinion. I'm on the fence. The race is clearly a great test of mental fortitude for drivers, and they all say it's the most demanding race of the season. At the same time it can get processional, overtakes lead to bump-a-cars, guaranteed safety cars etc. I could do without it but, the same can be said of some of the more open race circuits as well. There have been some boring races around Silverstone, and Albert Park too.

trento

Post by trento »

56 laps is better. And also, just make it a day race to make it even more challenging for the drivers. Since it's difficult to overtake, wearing them out under the heat in the day allows for more mistakes and possibly overtaking.

trento

Post by trento »

shay550 wrote:It's a race that clearly divides opinion. I'm on the fence. The race is clearly a great test of mental fortitude for drivers, and they all say it's the most demanding race of the season. At the same time it can get processional, overtakes lead to bump-a-cars, guaranteed safety cars etc. I could do without it but, the same can be said of some of the more open race circuits as well. There have been some boring races around Silverstone, and Albert Park too.
it's demanding simply because of the temperatures. That's about it.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

It's a terrible track to race on but shortening it doesn't allow any strategies to play out, ultimately the race got ruined by the 3 safety cars in the second half of the race which effectively shortened the race in terms of racing laps.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

j man

Post by j man »

pokerman wrote:It's a terrible track to race on but shortening it doesn't allow any strategies to play out, ultimately the race got ruined by the 3 safety cars in the second half of the race which effectively shortened the race in terms of racing laps.
:thumbup:

Without the Safety Car periods we could've had a interesting end to the race if the Ferraris had started to struggle with tyre wear.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

j man wrote:
pokerman wrote:It's a terrible track to race on but shortening it doesn't allow any strategies to play out, ultimately the race got ruined by the 3 safety cars in the second half of the race which effectively shortened the race in terms of racing laps.

Without the Safety Car periods we could've had a interesting end to the race if the Ferraris had started to struggle with tyre wear.
This. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing whether the alternate strategies adopted by the front runners would play out. It became apparent in the midfield, partly despite the SC and partly because one or two chose to put on fresh boots during the period(s).
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

I would have to disagree. I enjoy the night races.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

ReservoirDog wrote:You dislike being entertained for 2 hours? You're free to switch off the telly at the 40 lap mark while others enjoy another few laps of entertainment.

Please entertain me less - said nobody ever. Except you.

A_Game_A_Day

Post by A_Game_A_Day »

Not that any of you care, but just ask the TV Network guys what they think of Singapore, and they will tell you in no uncertain terms. Singapore is a TV nightmare.
A 2 hour limit isn't really a problem for TV companies though is it? If they schedule a 3 hour programme, say 30mins build-up + 2hrs race + 30mins analysis, the only variation introduced by faster (e.g. 1hr 30mins) or slower races (e.g. 2hrs) is the amount of talking they do after.

The time-limit and red-flag rule changes were introduced too avoid a 6hr race messing with schedules.