2019 Belgium Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

2019 Belgium Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

So tomorrow can we witness Leclerc's first F1 win?
Feel The Fourth

Invade

Re: 2019 Belgium Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Invade »

It's an awkward pole to be on and I think Leclerc is more likely to not win. I still expect Mercedes to be slightly stronger in the race and Vettel should be in with a real shot in the early goings.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Going to be interesting at the start, being just behind the leader is the best position to be here out of T1. I also noticed Leclerc was bottom of the top 4 in speed trap times and he seemed to be consistently fast through the middle sector, so I have a feeling Vettel may be running a faster straight line speed setup too.

Going to be a good race I feel, hopefully a Ferrari win!

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I think Mercedes and Max are going to faster than Ferrari. Vettel will be the faster of the two Ferrari drivers so it will interesting to see how Ferrari will handle it. Ferrari will be hoping that their tyre wear is not too bad. Honda is much better in race even though Max is using old engine and if Mercedes new engine is faster in race pace ? Ferrari can still loose this race.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

trento

Post by trento »

BTW there was a very serious accident in F2 race

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

trento wrote:BTW there was a very serious accident in F2 race
This is being discussed in other threads, but I will reiterate the post I put elsewhere: no images or footage of the crash or aftermath please.

The weekend is basically on hold pending the FIA's investigation. As soon as we hear a decision, we will post it here and in the qualifying thread unless another user beats us to it.

We thank you all for your respect of this request and of the young man whose life was cut short this afternoon.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

I've seen calls on social media for this race to be suspended in the wake of the F2 tragedy. For once I just don't have an opinion. I can see why people are calling for it, and I can see why some want the race to go ahead in his memory.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

I'm forgetting what I've discussed where now, but some have theorized that the death will instantly end the weekend, while others have said it's down to whether the track is found to be partially or wholly responsible. I'm not even delving into emotional responses now, no matter how easy that would be.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

BMWSauber84 wrote:I've seen calls on social media for this race to be suspended in the wake of the F2 tragedy. For once I just don't have an opinion. I can see why people are calling for it, and I can see why some want the race to go ahead in his memory.
In terms of safety, the FIA have to ensure that all is a good as it can be at the circuit.

As for the emotional reasons for racing or not, I would find it hard to believe there's a single racing driver who would want a race meeting to be cancelled on the back of their untimely death. Therefore, FIA safety checks permitting, the rest of the weekend should all go ahead, F3 and F2 included.

Just my opinion.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:I've seen calls on social media for this race to be suspended in the wake of the F2 tragedy. For once I just don't have an opinion. I can see why people are calling for it, and I can see why some want the race to go ahead in his memory.
In terms of safety, the FIA have to ensure that all is a good as it can be at the circuit.

As for the emotional reasons for racing or not, I would find it hard to believe there's a single racing driver who would want a race meeting to be cancelled on the back of their untimely death. Therefore, FIA safety checks permitting, the rest of the weekend should all go ahead, F3 and F2 included.

Just my opinion.
:thumbup:

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

There's also PR to consider, and local laws. Some countries mandate canceling the event if a death occurs. I believe Italy have that law, and it was part of the controversy around the continued Imola 1994 race.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

The F2 race tomorrow has been cancelled: https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 2686029827

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

I think the race will happen, however, the circumstances of the accident have not been discussed. If the cause of the accident is in any way reproducible then the race is in doubt. Or should be in my mind.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Option or Prime wrote:I think the race will happen, however, the circumstances of the accident have not been discussed. If the cause of the accident is in any way reproducible then the race is in doubt. Or should be in my mind.
Well it clearly is IMO. Trouble is that's the case at every single track.

Everyone knew what happened today could happen. This isn't new information.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Option or Prime wrote:I think the race will happen, however, the circumstances of the accident have not been discussed. If the cause of the accident is in any way reproducible then the race is in doubt. Or should be in my mind.
Wiki has the history of fatalities at Spa Francorchamps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... fatalities

The last three fatalities including today have been at or just after Raidillon. The previous two were in 2013 (Classic F3 race) & 2008 (Bikers cup motorcycle race).

Given the amount of racing that is done at Spa, It doesn't appear to be a very dangerous track over the last 30 or so years. That is not to say that a convergence of new factors have not created new hazards but I just haven't seen anything about that part of the course that is uniquely hazardous among the places the FIA races.
Mission WinLater

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

I don't like to see drivers lose their lives but I hope this doesn't generate some knee-jerk neutering of Eau Rouge or Raidillon

j man

Post by j man »

Mort Canard wrote:
Wiki has the history of fatalities at Spa Francorchamps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... fatalities

The last three fatalities including today have been at or just after Raidillon. The previous two were in 2013 (Classic F3 race) & 2008 (Bikers cup motorcycle race).

Given the amount of racing that is done at Spa, It doesn't appear to be a very dangerous track over the last 30 or so years. That is not to say that a convergence of new factors have not created new hazards but I just haven't seen anything about that part of the course that is uniquely hazardous among the places the FIA races.
I disagree. I think the same incident could just as easily occur in an F1 race with the same outcome. Look at Kevin Magnussen's crash at that same corner a couple of years ago. It doesn't have to play out very differently for him to spin back onto the track into the path of other cars.

I'm sure commercial pressures will dictate that the F1 race goes ahead, and as along as the drivers are unanimously in agreement then I guess it's OK to do so. But if you ask me, that corner and in particular the run-off area need a serious looking at before any more top-level racing is allowed on this circuit.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

j man wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

I disagree. I think the same incident could just as easily occur in an F1 race with the same outcome. Look at Kevin Magnussen's crash at that same corner a couple of years ago. It doesn't have to play out very differently for him to spin back onto the track into the path of other cars.

I'm sure commercial pressures will dictate that the F1 race goes ahead, and as along as the drivers are unanimously in agreement then I guess it's OK to do so. But if you ask me, that corner and in particular the run-off area need a serious looking at before any more top-level racing is allowed on this circuit.
I didn't say it didn't have any danger. I did say that I didn't think that it was uniquely dangerous among the place that the FIA races. Certainly things can be done to remove some of the danger of spinning cars being shunted back into the path of oncoming traffic. Moving the barriers back from the track would seem to be in order. The barrier that shields safety vehicles at the exit of Raidillion probably needs to be moved back as it funnels wrecks back onto the circuit.

I am no expert but I don't think it would be worth scrapping tomorrow's race for these modifications.
Mission WinLater

trento

Post by trento »

Asphalt_World wrote:

Just my opinion.
Any thoughts on gravel traps? The car would then not come back on track?

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

trento wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Just my opinion.
Any thoughts on gravel traps? The car would then not come back on track?
Coming off Raidillion at around 200mph a car might end up tumbling violently across a gravel trap. Don't know how well that would work.
Mission WinLater

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

This is the provisional grid for today's race:

1 Charles Leclerc Ferrari
2 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
3 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
4 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes
5 Max Verstappen Red Bull
6 Kimi Raikkonen Alfa Romeo Racing
7 Sergio Perez Racing Point
8 Kevin Magnussen Haas
9 Romain Grosjean Haas
10 Daniel Ricciardo Renault *
11 Lando Norris McLaren
12 Nico Hulkenberg Renault *
13 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing
14 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso
15 George Russell Williams
16 Carlos Sainz McLaren *
17 Lance Stroll Racing Point **
18 Alex Albon Red Bull **
19 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso ***
20 Robert Kubica Williams

* five-place power unit change penalty
** multiple power unit element changes
*** Multiple power unit element changes and gearbox
**** Kubica races at the stewards’ discretion having not setting a time in qualy
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's raining currently at Spa. During the race, it's expected to be much cooler, cloudy & a little chance of rain.
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Pit strategy options as per Pirelli:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

What will Vettel's tactics be to try to overhaul the 7 tenths pace difference shown by LeClerc in Quali?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Kev627 wrote:What will Vettel's tactics be to try to overhaul the 7 tenths pace difference shown by LeClerc in Quali?
The actual pace difference between the two won't have been seven tenths though, Vettel seemed to be pretty scruffy in Q3.

If Vettel follows Leclerc through turn one I think he'll fancy his chances of slipstreaming his team mate down the long straight and attempting to pass. That could be the race.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Updated starting order as Giovinazzi & Kubica get penalties too. Russell has benefited the most as he starts P14.

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Racing sets available:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

F1 is live:

Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

The weather was quite cloudy & cold even. Wonder what are the chances of rain at this time?
Feel The Fourth

da4an1qu1

Post by da4an1qu1 »

Unbelievably brave by Anthoine's family to observe the minute silence at the GP. Heart-wrenching.

neek

Post by neek »

ouch max!!

Invade

Post by Invade »

Ahaha, that was super easy for Vettel. Got done at the start, and it didn't matter.
Last edited by Invade on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Mega start by Charlie.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I keep forgetting - Verstappen's meant to be a great driver, isn't he ?

Invade

Post by Invade »

Greenman wrote:.

He's only human so let's not crucify the chap.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Got to mostly blame Verstappen for that. But after such a hit, i have no clue why he went as fast as he did just after it. The retirement was certainly his own fault. That speed down the hill was a bit silly really.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Greenman wrote:.

:lol:
Mission WinLater

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

sainz out

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

I think that was another case of Max being a little impatient and trying to win points at T1, lap 1. He's too good for this kind of thing.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:Got to mostly blame Verstappen for that. But after such a hit, i have no clue why he went as fast as he did just after it. The retirement was certainly his own fault. That speed down the hill was a bit silly really.

From the in car camera, it looked like he was working the steering wheel with no effect from the front wheels well before where he went off.
Mission WinLater