Verstappen, Kvyat, Stroll

I docked Vettel for being stuck behind Raikkonen for about 40 laps
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Jezza13

Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2019 German Grand Prix

Post by Jezza13 »

My votes go to Vettel, Stroll & Kvyat but really the 2 winners today aren't on the list & both are female.

Lady luck & Mother nature.

The entire race was a lottery so for me it's difficult to really nail down a great drive.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Mayox

Post by Mayox »

Max - obviously, only one from top without a major mistake - good pace
Torpedo - podium in Toro Rosso, nothing to add here, great drive
Kubica - almost in points, not a single mistake in car with no grip even on dry track, beats Russell

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

I go with Lady Luck. The race was an entertaining lottery.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Did Seb spin at all? I can't remember.

j man

Post by j man »

Max Verstappen.

I see Stroll getting lots of plaudits again for trundling around at the back and then benefiting from a strategy call.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Complete lottery race. I thought Alex Albon and Sebastian Vettel were impressive.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

shoot999 wrote:Did Seb spin at all? I can't remember.
He was the only one of the "Big 5" to not make a mistake as far as I remember.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Todd

Post by Todd »

Vettel, Kvyat, Verstappen. I would have added Stroll if there was room. I gained respect for him today even as I lost it for Giovinazzi. Even though Giovinazzi drove okay, when he said the race should start behind the safety car I wanted to vomit.
Does anyone think that there has ever been a moment of frustration with his father when Max has pointed out to Jos that he was the Pierre Gasly of 1994?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

j man wrote:Max Verstappen.

I see Stroll getting lots of plaudits again for trundling around at the back and then benefiting from a strategy call.
He didn't make any real mistake or crash. Kvyat gained a podium because of strategy as well. What's wrong with it?
Feel The Fourth

Todd

Post by Todd »

sandman1347 wrote:Complete lottery race. I thought Alex Albon and Sebastian Vettel were impressive.
This was the opposite of a lottery. The drivers determined their own outcomes today.
Does anyone think that there has ever been a moment of frustration with his father when Max has pointed out to Jos that he was the Pierre Gasly of 1994?

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Jezza13 wrote:
Thanks for that. Then I'm going for Seb, Stroll and Kyvat. Max would have been except for the spin.

j man

Post by j man »

UnlikeUday wrote:

He didn't make any real mistake or crash. Kvyat gained a podium because of strategy as well. What's wrong with it?
Nothing wrong with it, just not something I'd be giving driver of the day for. Kubica didn't make any mistakes either, shall we give him driver of the day?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

j man wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Nothing wrong with it, just not something I'd be giving driver of the day for. Kubica didn't make any mistakes either, shall we give him driver of the day?
You're entitled to Your opinion Mate.
Feel The Fourth

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Following that line you could argue that Max just trundled along, and purely by luck his spin didnt end up in the wall. No skill involved in that.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

shoot999 wrote:

Following that line you could argue that Max just trundled along, and purely by luck his spin didnt end up in the wall. No skill involved in that.
Well he did benefit from strategy calls.

Both good from his side & bad from Merc's side.

j man

Post by j man »

shoot999 wrote:

Max was hardly trundling along, that's a word I'd more associate with his team mate.

I'm happy to be proven wrong by data as I haven't seen the lap times (the live timing is now hidden behind a paywall after all), but that is my impression of how things played out. Stroll was completely anonymous until he was brought in for slicks before anyone else, which catapulted him into the lead.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

j man wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

Max was hardly trundling along, that's a word I'd more associate with his team mate.

I'm happy to be proven wrong by data as I haven't seen the lap times (the live timing is now hidden behind a paywall after all), but that is my impression of how things played out. Stroll was completely anonymous until he was brought in for slicks before anyone else, which catapulted him into the lead.
My point was more they both had luck. Although in Strolls case the team made the luck for Stroll.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mcdo wrote:I docked Vettel for being stuck behind Raikkonen for about 40 laps
You'd think Kimi should get a few more votes for holding him behind, though?

I voted for Max, Albon and Raikkonen.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Stroll is a really good wet weather driver. Today's result was another addition to his impressive list of wet weather results. I think the team can make a risky tyre call and trust Stroll to keep it on the road. And that means a lot in a race like today
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

LBET

Post by LBET »

Vettel, Kvyat and Stroll.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Vettel, Kyvat, Stroll

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

mcdo wrote:

Stroll is a really good wet weather driver. Today's result was another addition to his impressive list of wet weather results. I think the team can make a risky tyre call and trust Stroll to keep it on the road. And that means a lot in a race like today
Stroll also explained in his interview with Sky that before coming in for tyres he was driving around the track with his visor half open inspecting the track and assessing it, so he knew where he needed to be driving when back on the slicks to make sure he had grip. There was skill and judgement in the call, not just a 'stick him on slicks and hope'

j man

Post by j man »

mcdo wrote:

Honestly the only example I can recall of him excelling in the rain is that qualifying session in Monza. Which admittedly was very impressive, but it takes more than that to build a reputation.

I can give Stroll credit where it is due, I did vote him DOTD in Canada where he was excellent, but I just didn't see it yesterday. He was nowhere until that tyre stop; he didn't appear to have any real pace and re-watching the highlights reminded me that he did throw it off the road in the wet early in the race.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Wow. Hamilton has a vote!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Blake

Post by Blake »

Asphalt_World wrote:Wow. Hamilton has a vote!
You are surprised, AW???
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

I nearly voted for him. Crashed out, 50 second pit stop, bodged 5s penalty, wrong tyre, spun, gave up, finished in 11th. And still extended his championship lead :lol: Not many can claim they have done that before!

But I didn't as I know some get upset when Hamilton gets a vote even when he has won a race. And god forbid anyone voting for him if he finishes second or third. :uhoh:

Personally I always think it's one of his detractors voting for him on occasions like this . I know how much they like to get his name into any thread so they can express. In fact some members do very little else.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Jezza13 wrote:
He did - off-track in the last lap and plain lucky not to crash.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

shoot999 wrote:Personally I always think it's one of his detractors voting for him on occasions like this . I know how much they like to get his name into any thread so they can express. In fact some members do very little else.
I've really never seen anyone do this. What happens instead is a bunch of passive-aggressive BS where both sides claim the other is doing crap like you say here.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Blake wrote:
You are surprised, AW???
My bet is... I don't know, even the most hardcore fans in here wouldn't vote for Lewis in this race.

Ok, who was it, come out, not to be teased, but this needs some kind of recognition!

Mod Yellow

Post by Mod Yellow »

It happens every race, without fail, with all of the main drivers getting undeserved votes. Given you cant see who has voted for whom, people will always submit joke votes like this.

No need to go off topic to make a song and dance about it

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I went for Kvyat, Stroll and Sainz.

Those drivers made no mistakes in the race and had inspired drives and choices made by them. I then after clicking submit vote remembered that Carlos had a moment also so I shouldn't have voted for him

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

I originally went for Vettel as one of my three as although he played a cautious game, he made no mistake. Only to just find out he ran off the track at Mercedes on the last lap, got cold feet going into Sachs and nearly handed second to Kyvat.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Mod Yellow wrote:It happens every race, without fail, with all of the main drivers getting undeserved votes. Given you cant see who has voted for whom, people will always submit joke votes like this.

Talking about a driver of the day vote in a driver of the day thread, is off topic? :lol: We're just having fun!

;)
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Extraordinary!!!

Having inherited the lead through strategy, Stroll kept calm and didn't fight with Verstappen, he fought Kyvat but conceded to an obviously faster car/driver combination. He then kept Bottas behind driving fast enough to force a mistake from the much more experienced and much better equipped second in the WDC rival before conceding a podium to the fastest car/driver on the track. He then fought off Sainz to finish fourth.

What else has the guy got to do to get some credit?

Vettel, Kvyat & Stroll with an honourable mention to Albon who was faster than his much more experienced team mate for much of the race despite it being the first time he'd driven an F1 car in the wet...

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Mod Yellow wrote:It happens every race, without fail, with all of the main drivers getting undeserved votes. Given you cant see who has voted for whom, people will always submit joke votes like this.

Talking about a driver of the day vote in a driver of the day thread, is off topic? :lol: We're just having fun!

;)

:thumbup:

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Battle Far wrote:

Extraordinary!!!

Having inherited the lead through strategy, Stroll kept calm and didn't fight with Verstappen, he fought Kyvat but conceded to an obviously faster car/driver combination. He then kept Bottas behind driving fast enough to force a mistake from the much more experienced and much better equipped second in the WDC rival before conceding a podium to the fastest car/driver on the track. He then fought off Sainz to finish fourth.

What else has the guy got to do to get some credit?

Vettel, Kvyat & Stroll with an honourable mention to Albon who was faster than his much more experienced team mate for much of the race despite it being the first time he'd driven an F1 car in the wet...
Not spend 75% of the race trundling round at the back would be a fair start.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Point taken Mod, I was only jesting!

It is baffling though