Driver(s) of the Day - 2019 French Grand Prix

Post by UnlikeUday »

For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Norris
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World

Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2019 French Grand Prix

Post by Asphalt_World »

Nobody did anything of interest so I don't think I'll vote.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Instagram @simply_italian_car_pics

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Perhaps add an option for the man who ran on to get the bollard off the track.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Instagram @simply_italian_car_pics

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

I might take my vote back for Ricciardo after seeing him overtake with all his wheels off the track. He might get done for that
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Norris, Sainz, Hamilton

Disappointing:
Gasly, Kubica, Vettel
Last edited by Paolo_Lasardi on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Verstappen easily for me. Beating a Ferrari in a car his team mate could only keep in the midfield.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I don't quite get the votes for Norris? He did a good job of keeping it together for 10 laps or so at the end with the issues his car had but other than that not sure what he did to deserve votes.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

mikeyg123 wrote:Verstappen easily for me. Beating a Ferrari in a car his team mate could only keep in the midfield.

I think that is more that Gasly is doing a really poor job. Kvyat IMO has easily looked better than him overall this year - even factoring in that mistake in China.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

mikeyg123 wrote:Verstappen easily for me. Beating a Ferrari in a car his team mate could only keep in the midfield.

Which Ferrari did he beat?

The one that started in 7th place?

Or you forgot he started right behind a Ferrari?

Whe might then choose both Mclaren drivers for beating Redbull.

TheGiantHogweed

JN23 wrote:I don't quite get the votes for Norris? He did a good job of keeping it together for 10 laps or so at the end with the issues his car had but other than that not sure what he did to deserve votes.

I think they are votes because of people feeling sorry for him. He did a good job - for the circumstances he was in. But otherwise, Sainz did what he needed to beat him and overall did better.

j man

Post by j man »

I did vote for Hamilton in the poll for a very comfortable win. However having heard Norris' radio comms in the latter part of the race, and better understanding the issues he was managing, I would give it to him instead.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

By mistake I missed one driver. It should have been Max. I voted for Kimi and Kvyat.
Last edited by Mercedes-Benz on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

JN23

Post by JN23 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
JN23 wrote:I don't quite get the votes for Norris? He did a good job of keeping it together for 10 laps or so at the end with the issues his car had but other than that not sure what he did to deserve votes.

I think they are votes because of people feeling sorry for him. He did a good job - for the circumstances he was in. But otherwise, Sainz did what he needed to beat him and overall did better.

Yeah you're probably right. The official DotD vote is a bit of a joke.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Vettel has made it a habit now to disappoint!
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Rockie wrote:

Which Ferrari did he beat?

The one that started in 7th place?

Or you forgot he started right behind a Ferrari?

Whe might then choose both Mclaren drivers for beating Redbull.

The one that couldn't close on him at all after he pitted. That one.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

I actually chose both Macca drivers & Stroll. Honorable mention to Raikkonen.

Coming from a Ricciardo fan, I don't think he's driven very intelligently in the last 2 races & can't see how he could figure in the DOTD considerations.
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Britain - 20) - 142 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 372 trophies available, 27 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

TheBlackFlag

Post by TheBlackFlag »

Asphalt_World wrote:Nobody did anything of interest so I don't think I'll vote.

I completely agree with you. I cannot recall a duller race than today's.

TheGiantHogweed

Quite a few I could go for. Certainly Hamilton and he's probably the main one. I thought this was easily Leclerc's best weekend after Bahrain. Hope he keeps this up. Vettel didn't look that poor, but he just didn't look comfortable. We didn't see how good Vettel was here last year either really because of the circumstances - but I don't think he's strong here.

Kvyat to me was really strong. The turn around this season is brilliant from him. Not sure how many will agree, but I think he'd be closer to Verstappen than Gasly is. Started from the pitlane and finished 14th in a car that didn't look strong this weekend. Got past his team mate despite starting way behind. Got by Giovinazzi and the Hass drivers even though the Sauber looked far stronger in the race to me.

Kimi and Ricciardo also looked to get a lot from there cars on race day. Ricciardo IMO over did it a bit near the end. But all the others i mention, other than Hamilton and Leclerc, I'm struggling who elce to go for. Could go for them all.

Magnussen looked terrible today. I don't think the Hass was very good anyway, but Grosjean looked better despite starting behind him. Magnussen perhaps did get left out a bit to long on his soft tyres, but even so, it wasn't that long and he was that slow he came out the pits last of all! Not good. Then he took simple ages to clear both Williams. I think it was only by around lap 25 or something that he cleared both. Grosjean wasn't that much better but he did what he needed to to beat him until he had issues. His luck is ridiculous this season.

Stroll was interesting. Although he didn't pit until very late, he still wasn't really faster then Perez on old tyres. So wasn't great there. But still, I have to say that most races this season, Stroll has looked decent. But his bad results in most of them are down to his very poor qualifying. If he works on qualifying, I can certainly see him becoming a driver than many would consider at least reasonable. his race pace and tyre management is pretty good.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

It's like yesterday when people were saying that he was the driver of the day in qualifying despite the fact that Carlos was just a tenth behind. It's as though people ignore Carlos...

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I think that is more that Gasly is doing a really poor job. Kvyat IMO has easily looked better than him overall this year - even factoring in that mistake in China.

Agreed. Gasly is beyond bad. He is the worst driver on the grid by far imho. There is no way you can tell me that that car couldn't have scored a single point today, not when Max is beating a Ferrari with it.

Driver of the race for me I would have to go Leclerc, Ham and Verstappen. But nobody put in an otherworldly performance, just very good drives.
Other notables for me was Stroll also drove another good race while Vettel was quite poor and Bottas just cannot manage the tires as well as Lewis and that is truly his achille's heel in this rivalry.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Not a great deal stood out, but Hamilton gets a vote for a great opening few laps where he got way out of DRS range. Also for his pace on the hard tyre and for a making Bottas look extremely ordinary.

Raikkonen for a very strong drive where tyres were managed superbly. His strongenst drive this season for me as I don't think the Alfa should have been up with the Renault's here.

Honourable mentions for Verstappen, Leclerc, Sainz and Norris.

TheGiantHogweed

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Agreed. Gasly is beyond bad. He is the worst driver on the grid by far imho. There is no way you can tell me that that car couldn't have scored a single point today, not when Max is beating a Ferrari with it.

Driver of the race for me I would have to go Leclerc, Ham and Verstappen. But nobody put in an otherworldly performance, just very good drives.
Other notables for me was Stroll also drove another good race while Vettel was quite poor and Bottas just cannot manage the tires as well as Lewis and that is truly his achille's heel in this rivalry.

Can't say he is worse than Kubica. And I don't think Giovinazzi looks better really either. Agree with most you say though. Leclerc was really strong today. I think Hamilton looked really strong too. I used to think Bottas's tyre management was a strong point. At Williams he certainly managed it a few times. But when looking after them is a bit of a challenge, Hamilton manages significantly better than him. He was doing reasonably IMO but Leclerc and Hamilton just were doing a lot better. And when the VSC came out, Bottas certainly didn't manage to manage them well after that, which to me explains why Leclerc closed up so much. I'm not sure what way it would have gone if there was a lap or two more I think Bottas may have got over his struggle with the restart and pulled back out of Leclerc's DRS range.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Can't say he is worse than Kubica. And I don't think Giovinazzi looks better really either. Agree with most you say though. Leclerc was really strong today. I think Hamilton looked really strong too. I used to think Bottas's tyre management was a strong point. At Williams he certainly managed it a few times. But when looking after them is a bit of a challenge, Hamilton manages significantly better than him. He was doing reasonably IMO but Leclerc and Hamilton just were doing a lot better. And when the VSC came out, Bottas certainly didn't manage to manage them well after that, which to me explains why Leclerc closed up so much. I'm not sure what way it would have gone if there was a lap or two more I think Bottas may have got over his struggle with the restart and pulled back out of Leclerc's DRS range.

I forget about Kubica :lol: In that car it's hard to tell how bad he really is or is it that Russell is a special talent? I think Gasly is worse than Giovanazzi for sure. The latter can at least outqualify Kimi on merit sometimes and his race pace isn't god awful like Gasly's. But Gio makes too many mistakes.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I forget about Kubica :lol: In that car it's hard to tell how bad he really is or is it that Russell is a special talent? I think Gasly is worse than Giovanazzi for sure. The latter can at least outqualify Kimi on merit sometimes and his race pace isn't god awful like Gasly's. But Gio makes too many mistakes.

All this about how Gasly being really bad makes me wonder how bad Hartley was 8O

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:Can't say he is worse than Kubica. And I don't think Giovinazzi looks better really either. Agree with most you say though. Leclerc was really strong today. I think Hamilton looked really strong too. I used to think Bottas's tyre management was a strong point. At Williams he certainly managed it a few times. But when looking after them is a bit of a challenge, Hamilton manages significantly better than him. He was doing reasonably IMO but Leclerc and Hamilton just were doing a lot better. And when the VSC came out, Bottas certainly didn't manage to manage them well after that, which to me explains why Leclerc closed up so much. I'm not sure what way it would have gone if there was a lap or two more I think Bottas may have got over his struggle with the restart and pulled back out of Leclerc's DRS range.

All this about how Gasly being really bad makes me wonder how bad Hartley was 8O

I've said from the beginning that Hartley was an endurance racer; probably almost a second off the pace of the fastest F1 drivers. Gasley had him covered but I was never convinced that Gasly had anything for the best guys out there and this year has proven that he doesn't quite conclusively. He should NOT be in that car.

TheGiantHogweed

JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:I think that is more that Gasly is doing a really poor job. Kvyat IMO has easily looked better than him overall this year - even factoring in that mistake in China.

Maybe Toro Rosso should have won the race in Bahrain last year :lol: Anyway, I think that judging how bad Gasly is now, I think the line up at Toro Rosso must have not got even close to the cars potential. Kvyat got shoved about so much that I think it messed up what he was capable of. I now actually think that since he has come back this year, he is looking like he would be doing far better than Gasly in that car. I've had people criticize me when i've made this comment before - It wasn't just bad luck that allowed Kvyat to beat Ricciardo in 2015. He did have several very good drives. I just haven't seen a single outstanding or even good drive from Gasly yet this year. For Kvyat's first year at red bull, I'd say his first part of the season was far better. Verstappen will be more of a challenge for Gasly, but I don't think there is a huge difference pace wise between Verstappen and Ricciardo.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Norris did an excellent job and had the measure of his teammate and was ordered not you deploy his DRS so as not to pass Sainz. Were it not for that order, he’d likely have finished ahead and in stronger fashion. Lewis didn’t put a foot wrong and did an amazing job, but finished where we expected he would. He’s proven to be the model of extremely precise consistency. THAT’S the difference between he and Bottas.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

TheGiantHogweed

Asphalt_World wrote:Perhaps add an option for the man who ran on to get the bollard off the track.

That would be runner of the day.

TheGiantHogweed

F1 MERCENARY wrote:Norris did an excellent job and had the measure of his teammate and was ordered not you deploy his DRS so as not to pass Sainz. Were it not for that order, he’d likely have finished ahead and in stronger fashion. Lewis didn’t put a foot wrong and did an amazing job, but finished where we expected he would. He’s proven to be the model of extremely precise consistency. THAT’S the difference between he and Bottas.

I'm not convinced. Well before his problem, he kept getting close to Sainz but failed to get past. I don't think he'd have managed it even without his issue later on.

Regarding Hamilton, he hasn't exactly been consistent at the start of any of the more recent seasons. Bottas looked to pull a gap to nearly 4 seconds very quickly in Australia even before Hamilton thought he had a slight issue with his car. Then Hamilton did get beaten once more by Bottas in Baku. And hasn't until now looked on his best consistency in qualifying - as Bottas beat him 3 times in a row and they both have 3 poles each. I think he may well from now on be very consistent, which i don't think Bottas will. But including everything so far, I really can't say Hamilton hasn't been extremely precise in consistency.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

I am glad to see Stroll currently seventh in the standings. He finally gets some recognition.
The end is near

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Räikkönen, Norris and Leclerc. Also very much liked the efforts of Kvyatt and Albon. Would love to have seen Ricciardo here, but he's been naughty.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:Norris did an excellent job and had the measure of his teammate and was ordered not you deploy his DRS so as not to pass Sainz. Were it not for that order, he’d likely have finished ahead and in stronger fashion. Lewis didn’t put a foot wrong and did an amazing job, but finished where we expected he would. He’s proven to be the model of extremely precise consistency. THAT’S the difference between he and Bottas.

I'm not convinced. Well before his problem, he kept getting close to Sainz but failed to get past. I don't think he'd have managed it even without his issue later on.

Regarding Hamilton, he hasn't exactly been consistent at the start of any of the more recent seasons. Bottas looked to pull a gap to nearly 4 seconds very quickly in Australia even before Hamilton thought he had a slight issue with his car. Then Hamilton did get beaten once more by Bottas in Baku. And hasn't until now looked on his best consistency in qualifying - as Bottas beat him 3 times in a row and they both have 3 poles each. I think he may well from now on be very consistent, which i don't think Bottas will. But including everything so far, I really can't say Hamilton hasn't been extremely precise in consistency.

I don't think Hamilton has been at his best at all so far this season, but that's generally been his modus operandi. He is starting to find his stride and this season will be a procession of 2004 proportions.

I just don't think Bottas is that good, and also lacks cutting edge when it matters - he's too nice - and has the demeanour of a beaten man already. Don't get me wrong, he is fast over a lap and a clean/tidy racer capable of the odd great performance, but he is quite a bit away from being a top tier driver.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:I am glad to see Stroll currently seventh in the standings. He finally gets some recognition.

A bit flattering IMO. His drive probably shows how effective that hard tyre was. A solid enough drive but he made no impression on Perez once he made the switch to mediums. Plus he is always going to look a bit better in the race because he tends to qualify the car far lower than it's potential.

j man

Post by j man »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:I am glad to see Stroll currently seventh in the standings. He finally gets some recognition.

A bit flattering IMO. His drive probably shows how effective that hard tyre was. A solid enough drive but he made no impression on Perez once he made the switch to mediums. Plus he is always going to look a bit better in the race because he tends to qualify the car far lower than it's potential.

:thumbup:

Canada aside, Stroll has not been good enough this season to justify filling that seat.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

I think at this point there's a pretty serious question of whether Max is working miracles or Gasly is just plain bad.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 16 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:

I think at this point there's a pretty serious question of whether Max is working miracles or Gasly is just plain bad.

Probably a bit of both?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Probably a bit of both?

I mean, people last year said Vandoorne was past the point where we could say it was all Alonso being great - and Gasly is way further off Max than Stoff was off Alonso. I rate Max in the top category in terms of speed, but nobody should be as far off a teammate as Gasly is. It's like they're not even racing the same car.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 16 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Hamilton, Leclerc, Sainz
Honorable mention to Norris.
Mission WinLater

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Probably a bit of both?

I mean, people last year said Vandoorne was past the point where we could say it was all Alonso being great - and Gasly is way further off Max than Stoff was off Alonso. I rate Max in the top category in terms of speed, but nobody should be as far off a teammate as Gasly is. It's like they're not even racing the same car.

Well last year I rated Alonso as the second best driver to Hamilton, Alonso was simply being Alonso whilst Vandoorne at best was just an average F1 driver, my only contention was with claims that Vandoorne was a top 10 driver.

I don't believe that anyone is going to make any claims for Gasly being a top 10 driver, he's maybe not that much worse than Vandoorne?

In France I have little doubt that Verstappen beat Vettel despite having an inferior car so like I said a bit of both, Verstappen is like you say perhaps working miracles whilst Gasly simply isn't good enough.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Invade

Post by Invade »

I just hope that before Hamilton is done we get to see HAM vs VER over the course of at least one full season. They'd probably have to be in different cars, but if RBR keep showing they don't have what it takes to get over the top, I hope Mercedes can be bold and make the biggest blockbuster move in F1 since McLaren signed Senna way back when.