2019 French Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
sandman1347

Re: 2019 French Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by sandman1347 »

JN23 wrote:Hamilton and Verstappen incident under investigation as Hamilton may have rejoined the track unsafely x(

I anticipate more crying about penalties. If they don't give him a penalty people will cry about it and say the FIA is biased, etc.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:Hamilton and Verstappen incident under investigation as Hamilton may have rejoined the track unsafely x(

Ant Davidson has just reviewed it, Hamilton gave Verstappen just enough room but Verstappen wasn't sure and turned later than he needed to do thus missing the corner, in qualifying I could see that being a penalty but not practice also I'm not sure it would be a penalty in practice anyway more like points on your license?.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

sandman1347 wrote:

I anticipate more crying about penalties. If they don't give him a penalty people will cry about it and say the FIA is biased, etc.

If say it was a grid penalty then it would be worse than Vettel's penalty and that was in the race and not just practice.

Hot from the press Vettel's appeal is thrown out.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

It's practise gentleman. When was the last time anyone got a penalty in practice? Its a bit of a non event anyway.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Option or Prime wrote:It's practise gentleman. When was the last time anyone got a penalty in practice? Its a bit of a non event anyway.

Everyone seems to have gone insane at the moment, can't wait til all this crap is done with.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

No further action on Hamilton/Verstappen incident.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

sandman1347 wrote:

Exactly right!!! :thumbup:
Mission WinLater

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

Option or Prime wrote:Not sure how you control the weather though, wouldn't you have to find a venue with guaranteed rain on race day?

Asked the question as much to generate some conversation other then the Vettel 5s penalty which has probably run enough. The Paul Riccard circuit has a world-class watering system and they use the track for wet weather tyre testing. So I’m curious whether having an artificially wet race would be an option, but a quick search suggests that they don’t do this currently at the circuit for any other races/series. Don’t get me wrong I am completely against the idea as a general principle to spice up F1 on a regular basis. But rain seems to be so rare on race weekends these days that perhaps there’d be appetite for it on a one-off race weekend at a circuit with the facilities. I highly doubt the circuit would be interested, and imagine most fans would be against this – just curious though?

Option or Prime

Oh I see...it feels the kind of thing the Americans would do........but hang on we have them as new F1 owners. Its a well made observation but I cant see it happening, I thought pre race as entertainment but it would ruin the race having a damp track at the start. I think Paul Ricard are better off doing something about their migraine inducing run offs!
Last edited by Option or Prime on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

WHoff78 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:Not sure how you control the weather though, wouldn't you have to find a venue with guaranteed rain on race day?

Asked the question as much to generate some conversation other then the Vettel 5s penalty which has probably run enough. The Paul Riccard circuit has a world-class watering system and they use the track for wet weather tyre testing. So I’m curious whether having an artificially wet race would be an option, but a quick search suggests that they don’t do this currently at the circuit for any other races/series. Don’t get me wrong I am completely against the idea as a general principle to spice up F1 on a regular basis. But rain seems to be so rare on race weekends these days that perhaps there’d be appetite for it on a one-off race weekend at a circuit with the facilities. I highly doubt the circuit would be interested, and imagine most fans would be against this – just curious though?

I would be for this, I don't see it as that artificial really... It's only changing the grip levels of the track in a non spontaneous way, changing tracks from day to night races affects surface temps and grip in a similar but obviously far less drastic way

I would be for it certainly be interesting to have a race where the drivers know that it's going to be wet and can set up their cars accordingly

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

WHoff78 wrote:

My understanding is that the sprinklers don't cover all of the GP track itself just some of the smaller layouts so part of the track would be wet and the other part dry so it would be slick tyres on a wet track.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Stats from yesterday:

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com
Feel The Fourth

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

sandman1347 wrote:

Vettel's penalty in Canada has set the precedent. Now racing incidents no longer exist and every little incident needs one driver penalized.

Hamilton unsafely rejoining the track reminds me of Vettel vs Sainz last season in Austria, where the incident had no real effect (Sainz still made Q3) and even Sainz himself agreed that it shouldn't be a penalty, but somehow Vettel still got a penalty.

Different rule books for different drivers.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

KingVoid wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Vettel's penalty in Canada has set the precedent. Now racing incidents no longer exist and every little incident needs one driver penalized.

Hamilton unsafely rejoining the track reminds me of Vettel vs Sainz last season in Austria, where the incident had no real effect (Sainz still made Q3) and even Sainz himself agreed that it shouldn't be a penalty, but somehow Vettel still got a penalty.

Surely Verstappen in Japan did that!

Option or Prime

KingVoid wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Not sure that is right, Vettel wouldn't have been penalised in my view if Hamilton had not had to brake, it may have set a precedent thats true, but your last line just shows that you feel wronged, I don't think that the stewards are biased.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Rockie wrote:Buzz around the paddock re Ferrari speed might be interesting to watch this weekend.

I think this race fans article is Ferrari's response to the story that Mark Hughes tweeted: https://www.racefans.net/2019/06/22/fer ... rtunately/

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Silver Bullet?

Karum Chandocks analysis of how they can go faster.....

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Leclerc seems to have the measure of Vettel so far this weekend. He spoke after Canada about how he needs to work on his Q3 performances so interesting to see how that plays out today

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

JN23 wrote:Leclerc seems to have the measure of Vettel so far this weekend. He spoke after Canada about how he needs to work on his Q3 performances so interesting to see how that plays out today

How people never learn with the Vettel vs Leclerc comparisons during FP's vs qualifying and actual race.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Rockie wrote:
JN23 wrote:Leclerc seems to have the measure of Vettel so far this weekend. He spoke after Canada about how he needs to work on his Q3 performances so interesting to see how that plays out today

How people never learn with the Vettel vs Leclerc comparisons during FP's vs qualifying and actual race.

Like I said, interesting to see how it plays out. Might be the same as most of the season, might not be.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

JN23 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Like I said, interesting to see how it plays out. Might be the same as most of the season, might not be.

How exactly is it interesting to see how it plays out?

Same thing has being happening since Australia, Leclerc looks fast in the FP's come Qualy he falls behind Vettel, save for Bahrain.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Rockie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Same thing has being happening since Australia, Leclerc looks fast in the FP's come Qualy he falls behind Vettel, save for Bahrain.

Leclerc admitted in Canada that he needs to work on getting Q3 right, so that's why I think it's interesting

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:Stats from yesterday:

Source - http://www.imgur.com

So Ferrari are quicker everywhere apart from the slow corners which are more important.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

JN23 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Leclerc admitted in Canada that he needs to work on getting Q3 right, so that's why I think it's interesting

When he consistently beats Vettel in Q3 it then might be interesting.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:Stats from yesterday:

So Ferrari are quicker everywhere apart from the slow corners which are more important.

The graphic suggests that Mclaren is quicker than Merc in medium corners though, not sure I believe that?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

KingVoid wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Simply not true, Vettel broke a specific rule like Verstappen did in Monaco, not understanding the rules also leads to posts that don't understand quite basic things like looking to make comparisons to incidents that are not the same.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I've just noticed something. I turn the Sky coverage on and they are talking about that 1 move by Vettel last weekend. Is this the biggest thing in F1 at the moment? I haven't even watched any of this yet but i heard that they talked about this non stop in practice too.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:I've just noticed something. I turn the Sky coverage on and they are talking about that 1 move by Vettel last weekend. Is this the biggest thing in F1 at the moment? I haven't even watched any of this yet but i heard that they talked about this non stop in practice too.
Just because the FIA don't accept a review, doesn't mean everybody understands what happened exactly, or what the penalty given was for. I believe it would have been educational had the FIA accepted a review and clarified their rationale for whatever outcome they would have arrived at.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:I've just noticed something. I turn the Sky coverage on and they are talking about that 1 move by Vettel last weekend. Is this the biggest thing in F1 at the moment? I haven't even watched any of this yet but i heard that they talked about this non stop in practice too.

Its about all they had to talk about that was F1 related. They did at one point go on the usual Croft rant about tyres, until Pirelli confused them with facts. So quickly return to the penalty and solved it with such solutions as having no on track rules, and the drivers sorting out disagreements post race (Herbert. And yes he was serious). They did as usual spend a large proportion of the time talking about food, funny french people and their names, and at one point (during Ham first hot lap) interviewed a pregnant wag. But during these non F1 related topics Herbert and Croft both tried to outshine each other by referring to 'coming back on in a safe manner' and other such hilarious banter. Hopefully from qualifying onward we can get back to the current race weekend.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think this season is confirming what we kind of already knew about Hulkneberg. Not quite quick or consistent enough to compete with the very top drivers.

cmax

Post by cmax »

Guys am I being paranoid is team Sky really digging into Lewis lately?

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

vettel is only going to get 1 run

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

vettel 7th

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

cmax wrote:Guys am I being paranoid is team Sky really digging into Lewis lately?

Also strange to think that in the past they have been accused of being Hamilton fan boys. :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

lucifers wrote:vettel 7th

Did he still have a problem with his car?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Hamilton starting to warm up finally, the sole weakness this year being the 1 lap pace and now he has 3 consecutive qualifying wins against Bottas to go 5-3 up in the season.

If Bottas can lead at the start, he can win, hopefully its a 2 stopper.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Pretty shocking to see Vettel in 7th and there were some pointed discussions between the Ferrari drivers and their engineers.

Hamilton was on course for a mammoth lap until the penultimate corner but still bettered his time on the second Q3 run. A very impressive session from him.

Once again Gasly takes residence in another country to Max and by this point it's getting pretty dull. Great result for McLaren and Ricciardo once again demonstrates that he's a step up from Hulk.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Hamilton is going to make this the most boring championship ever. Ferrari just cannot compete consistently enough and Bottas is fading. As a Hamilton fan it's enjoyable but I can see many people turning off F1 until next year. Leclerc stomped Vettel, who just doesn't look like he was on it all weekend. The Mclarens somehow are quick here. I think they are using that improved Renault power unit better than the works team. Gasly miles away from Verstappen again. I wonder how long until the inevitable demotion happens. Losing out to midfield cars every now and then is not a good look. Lance stroll still has not gotten out of Q1 all year. It is amazing how he can be so poor at qualifying, while in the race he is quite decent. Should be a good race, this track may look awful but it allows overtaking and last year's race was quite good I recall.

BlackMan

Post by BlackMan »

Schumilton strikes again. I'll admit it's getting boring now but you can't blame a team who has been consistent for the past 5 seasons for the failure of others.