2019 Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Threa

Post by UnlikeUday »

The race where literally all teams get major upgrade packages.
Feel The Fourth

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

:thumbup:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

UnlikeUday wrote:The race where literally all teams get major upgrade packages.
Apart from Ferrari I reckon, who'll get a degrade package.

iano

Post by iano »

Covalent wrote:
The degrade package is running behind schedule and may not be available until qualifying

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Covalent wrote:
BTW, they're getting a new front & rear wing!
Feel The Fourth

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

iano wrote:
Covalent wrote:
The degrade package is running behind schedule and may not be available until qualifying
Ouch that will hurt their efforts in falling behind in the development race.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Ferrari bringing an upgraded engine:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48190078

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

I think this is a must win for Ferrari, if they fail to deliver here, then they can kiss their championship aspirations goodbye imho.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Just checked the weather, moderate temperature all days, up to 20 C, no rain, but cloudy.
The end is near

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

kleefton wrote:I think this is a must win for Ferrari, if they fail to deliver here, then they can kiss their championship aspirations goodbye imho.
True. But if they have rushed their upgraded engine and new aero as reported, I'm a bit worried that they will crash and burn. Hopefully not

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Siao7 wrote:
kleefton wrote:I think this is a must win for Ferrari, if they fail to deliver here, then they can kiss their championship aspirations goodbye imho.
True. But if they have rushed their upgraded engine and new aero as reported, I'm a bit worried that they will crash and burn. Hopefully not
would be bizarre if they'd rushed through an engine whose main benefit would have been better reliability...!

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Zoue wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
would be bizarre if they'd rushed through an engine whose main benefit would have been better reliability...!
I know!! That's why I'm a bit sceptical, normally they bring these engines around Canada, this is a couple of races too early. But hey ho, let's see.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Red Bull's new wooden hospitality unit named 'Holzhaus':

Source - www.imgur.com
Feel The Fourth

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Unless the teams buck the trends of the last few years, if Ferrari are not ahead in the points by the 50% mark of the season, then championship bye bye. Basically they need a bad weekend for Mercedes to happen in the next few races, and capitalise to the max.

Mercedes will come on stronger in the second half, where as the wheels may come at Ferrari.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel The Fourth

M44

Post by M44 »

Thought that Ferrari would of held off from the upgrade, if for no other reason than to hold direct comparisons between pre-season testing and here, five races in. I guess that can still be achieved if the new PU's are not installed till Friday night, although I would imagine they will want some mileage on the new units to validate the update. Are they really that concerned they will be defeated here? Its either that in an attempt to get a foothold on the season that is fast disappearing for them, or there is a deeper rooted reliability issues that they cant wait to fix.

Either way - it juices up this weekends prospect. Is it do or die for Ferrari? If Mercedes 1-2 or even just win here, I fear for their season.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Engine components used upto now:

Source - www.imgur.com
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

M44 wrote:Thought that Ferrari would of held off from the upgrade, if for no other reason than to hold direct comparisons between pre-season testing and here, five races in. I guess that can still be achieved if the new PU's are not installed till Friday night, although I would imagine they will want some mileage on the new units to validate the update. Are they really that concerned they will be defeated here? Its either that in an attempt to get a foothold on the season that is fast disappearing for them, or there is a deeper rooted reliability issues that they cant wait to fix.

Either way - it juices up this weekends prospect. Is it do or die for Ferrari? If Mercedes 1-2 or even just win here, I fear for their season.
Well rumour has it they have to constantly de-tune their engines because of reliability fears, so presumably they don't feel confident they will be competitive with their current PU

kowen1208

Post by kowen1208 »

I agree Ferrari are probably bringing this upgrade early to deal with reliability issues, and that they've been having to de-tune engines up to this point. I think their performance this weekend will be very telling as to whether or not they have a shot at either championship this year. With the points Mercedes has hauled in and their typically strong end-of-season form, Ferrari can't afford to wait any longer before taking an advantage.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

And there’s their power unit update, of course, which they have brought to the track two races early. The update is focused around improving performance and fuel consumption. In tandem, supplier Shell have delivered a new lubricant, also ahead of schedule.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Sqcj8.html

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Feel The Fourth

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Bottas ahead of Hamilton stands out for me, although FP1 and all. Is Bottas generally doing better this season, is Lewis taking it easy or is it maybe both?

Probably both, Bottas wasn't as close as this to Lewis by this time last year. Very good inter team battle indeed, Bottas single-handedly keeping the hopes for an interesting WDC in view of Ferrari under performing!

Also, very good from Grosjean and Sainz, I was expecting better from Max and Perez (well done Gasly and Lance!)

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Siao7 wrote:Bottas ahead of Hamilton stands out for me, although FP1 and all. Is Bottas generally doing better this season, is Lewis taking it easy or is it maybe both?
I wouldn't read too much into it. This season Mercedes have only been using Friday sessions to check the lumbar support of the seat is comfortable enough.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:Bottas ahead of Hamilton stands out for me, although FP1 and all. Is Bottas generally doing better this season, is Lewis taking it easy or is it maybe both?
I wouldn't read too much into it. This season Mercedes have only been using Friday sessions to check the lumbar support of the seat is comfortable enough.
hence the bold part

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Probably both, Bottas wasn't as close as this to Lewis by this time last year. Very good inter team battle indeed, Bottas single-handedly keeping the hopes for an interesting WDC in view of Ferrari under performing!

Also, very good from Grosjean and Sainz, I was expecting better from Max and Perez (well done Gasly and Lance!)
With a fairy notable aero change this year, it could be as simple as the new regs suit Bottas' slightly smoother driving style more that Hamiltons. I would imagine the reg change has moved the cars balance slightly in the direction from positive to neutral.

Improve Bottas 0.1% and take 0.1% off Hamilton and you eliminate the gap mostly.

Yellowbin74

Post by Yellowbin74 »

Maybe Bottas is getting too close for Lewis' comfort, so he's holding back a bit until qualy?

Or, maybe Bottas is just faster at the moment.

Time will tell :)
Should I grow a beard?

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Yellowbin74 wrote:

Maybe Bottas is getting too close for Lewis' comfort, so he's holding back a bit until qualy?

Hamilton has been complaining a fair amount today, so likely just not seeing his best yet

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

On C4, Di Resta was saying the first few tracks usually don't suit Hamilton. The 2nd half of the calendar has tracks that suit him well, hence he's in a league of his own then.
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Zoue wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:

Hamilton has been complaining a fair amount today, so likely just not seeing his best yet
FP1 is there for drivers to complain & rectify the issues found!
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:

FP1 is there for drivers to complain & rectify the issues found!
yes agreed. Wasn't being critical of Hamilton, just pointing out a potential reason why he's seemingly behind at the moment so it's not necessarily a true reflection of the pecking order

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

so Ferrari now topping the times on the Soft tyre, but worryingly for them only 3 tenths ahead of Bottas who is on the Mediums

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

sure enough the Mercs comfortably fastest - are the vaunted Ferrari upgrades just not working or did Merc just bring better ones?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Merc look easily quickest.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mikeyg123 wrote:Merc look easily quickest.
Hoping for the Ferrari upgrades to work. Don't know how long can I bear to see a Mercedes 1-2 again & again!
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Haas has surely improved. This track suits their car as well. How well they don in the race is another matter.
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Haas are looking quite tasty and are mixing it with the Red Bulls. After them the rest of the midfield pack looks very tight

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Merc being ahead on a Friday is usually a sign they are going to dominate a weekend. When they turn things up they are going to be more than half a sec clear I think.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

kleefton wrote:Merc being ahead on a Friday is usually a sign they are going to dominate a weekend. When they turn things up they are going to be more than half a sec clear I think.
True. The only thing I can think that this won't be the case is that Ferrari are running their new engine in the lowest of low modes, but I can't see that tbh.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:Merc being ahead on a Friday is usually a sign they are going to dominate a weekend. When they turn things up they are going to be more than half a sec clear I think.
True. The only thing I can think that this won't be the case is that Ferrari are running their new engine in the lowest of low modes, but I can't see that tbh.
Yeah, I was thinking the same, maybe Ferrari will finally turn things up too. But not worth holding my breath frankly!