It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2020!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:
I wonder when the driver merry go round will stop?

I have seen posts on social media that people would like Bottas to go to Red Bull, I'm not sure about that especially if Albon delivers for them.

Well the latest seems to be Bottas staying at Mercedes.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:14 am 

pokerman wrote:
...Vettel is not happy at Ferrari whilst they wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to leave.

Have I missed something again? Where do you get this inside information that you present as fact?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:18 am 

Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
...Vettel is not happy at Ferrari whilst they wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to leave.

Have I missed something again? Where do you get this inside information that you present as fact?

Rumours from articles, this is the silly season thread after all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:34 am 

Ocon looks to be the loser again if the latest rumours are true (Ocon joining Renault)! Last year, he lost out on a seat completely & this year he had close to 50% chance of getting a Mercedes seat. When he joins Renault (for 2 years) & if he's going there because of severing ties with Mercedes, this paves the way for Russell. He will be the heir to the next open seat (provided Verstappen doesn't hop in).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:03 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Ocon looks to be the loser again if the latest rumours are true (Ocon joining Renault)! Last year, he lost out on a seat completely & this year he had close to 50% chance of getting a Mercedes seat. When he joins Renault (for 2 years) & if he's going there because of severing ties with Mercedes, this paves the way for Russell. He will be the heir to the next open seat (provided Verstappen doesn't hop in).

Well, maybe for now, but he is still young and taking on Ricciardo would be good opportunity for him. If he manages to beat Ricciardo, then surely it would raise interest in all of the top teams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 am 

froze wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Well, maybe for now, but he is still young and taking on Ricciardo would be good opportunity for him. If he manages to beat Ricciardo, then surely it would raise interest in all of the top teams.

Yeah if true I think it's the right result.

Going to Renault should give Ocon a chance to re-acclimatize to F1 & showcase his talent next to a top driver in a factory team but without the pressure of having to be on point from the word go in a team competing for championships.

In Bottas Merc keep a tried & trusted rear gunner to Hamilton who's shown he can be competitive. Maybe not as competitive as Merc may like at times but he's helped them win WCC's in each of the 2 seasons he's been with the team & it looks like they'll get their hat trick this season.

There's nothing to say that in a couple of years, if he can impress against Ricciardo, Ocon won't be in a position to join Merc once Bottas' contract is up.

There's also nothing to say to Renault won't have lived up to their promise & by 2021 will be in race winning position :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 366 trophies available, 27 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:52 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Being a works Renault F1 driver is still not a bad gig for someone who just over 4 years ago was filling in a job application form for McDonalds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:53 pm 

So Bottas looks like he’s going to hang on uh? I guess it’s ok if you are Merc, but no more pretentions about seriously challenging Hamilton please! He is the second driver and no one will take him seriously even if he comes back next year with a bigger beard. He is for sure going to get another beating. I would have thought he’d be tired of it by now but oh well...

Ocon to Renault is going to be interesting. Vey curious how he will measure up to Ricciardo.

Hulk to Haas makes sense for them I guess but for him I don’t think it’s a good move because that seals his fate as a perennial midfield driver and he can kiss that elusive podium goodbye. He’d be better off in formula e imo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:05 pm 

Have anybody except Autobild (or sources quoting Autobild) reported that the decision has been made?

I'd kind expect to see it popping up in all the F1 press. But so far nothing...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 pm 

Herb wrote:
Have anybody except Autobild (or sources quoting Autobild) reported that the decision has been made?

Mate there are other small websites publishing this news. But all of them are stating Auto Bild has said this. They don't have any source for this otherwise.

But it should be noted Auto Bild usually has very good sources to put news like this in advance. For eg; they were the first website to claim Force India would be changing it's livery to Pink at the start of 2017. And their source / prediction was true.

True or not, looks like Mercedes could be hesitant to put Ocon in the 2nd seat mainly due to being off the grid for 1 year & because Bottas isn't being totally awful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:25 pm 

Herb wrote:

Here is the F1 .com news regarding Ocon.

https://f1i.com/news/351590-esteban-oco ... nault.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:31 pm 

Noni wrote:
Herb wrote:

Read the article. It has said Auto Bild has stated.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:33 pm 

Esteban Ocon has just updated his Twitter a/c. His status was Test Driver earlier but now it's Formula 1 driver.

Source - Imgur

What looks baffling is his complete sttaus - Formula 1 driver @ Mercedes AMG F1. I think it's more likely he can't change it to Renault F1 before the official announcement or is it a WILD hint if seen in the other way?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:30 pm 

Noni wrote:
Herb wrote:

That's not F1.com.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:31 pm 

I'd imagine that the happiest guy in the paddock after hearing this news is George Russell. He is now the next man up and I have to infer that the assessment of his talents is a big part of why Ocon is being let go (allegedly). I don't think it's about Bottas. Bottas is a known quantity. Solid, quick and reliable but not a future WDC. He is the new Rubens. Mercedes are not really under any pressure to replace him. The pressure was purely self-inflicted by Toto due to his various promises.

The bottom line is that Hamilton and Bottas works pretty much perfectly. Ocon simply doesn't present a strong enough reason to take the risk of breaking that up. Verstappen probably would as perhaps would Russell. I somehow doubt that Max will ever join Mercedes while Hamilton is there though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:52 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Esteban Ocon has just updated his Twitter a/c. His status was Test Driver earlier but now it's Formula 1 driver.

Source - Imgur

What looks baffling is his complete sttaus - Formula 1 driver @ Mercedes AMG F1. I think it's more likely he can't change it to Renault F1 before the official announcement or is it a WILD hint if seen in the other way?

Or it could be that it just means absolutely nothing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 am 

As per a new rumour, Oon's Renault deal hasn't been signed yet. Maybe it's close to being signed with a few more negotiations to go through.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:01 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
As per a new rumour, Oon's Renault deal hasn't been signed yet. Maybe it's close to being signed with a few more negotiations to go through.

I guess they first need to make sure Hulkenberg lands somewhere (Haas) if indeed that's how it's planned to go down.
Personally I don't think they have anything to gain by replacing Hulkenberg with Ocon, if not for the nationality aspect of it all.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:06 am 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I guess they first need to make sure Hulkenberg lands somewhere (Haas) if indeed that's how it's planned to go down.
Personally I don't think they have anything to gain by replacing Hulkenberg with Ocon, if not for the nationality aspect of it all.

Do they have to make sure Hulkenberg gets another drive? He isn't their problem if they decide not to keep him on surely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:09 am 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Could also be if Mercedes are loaning him or cutting ties completely. If it's a 1 year deal as well, does Mercedes have intention of Ocon getting a year's experience more of racing before heading to Mercedes team?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:34 am 

Bear in mind though that as Herb said, as of today AutoBild is the only source for this rumor. It's been 48 hrs since they broke the story & no-one else has verified it's accuracy.

So what can we deduce from all this?

Well, if we consider that Rosbergs & Carters sources saying Ocon 100% has the drive & now Autobilds source saying Bottas 100% has the drive, pretty much the only thing we can deduce with any confidence is that if anyone here is considering putting together a team to pull off the crime of the century, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ask anyone from Merc to join.

That mob squeals more than a bunch of teenage girls at a One Direction concert.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 366 trophies available, 27 won

Last edited by Jezza13 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:38 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Could also be if Mercedes are loaning him or cutting ties completely. If it's a 1 year deal as well, does Mercedes have intention of Ocon getting a year's experience more of racing before heading to Mercedes team?

I very seriously doubt Renault would agree to a 1 year loan situation. It'd be multi year & no contractual links with Merc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Bear in mind though that as Herb said, as of today AutoBild is the only source for this rumor. It's been 48 hrs since they broke the story & no-one else has verified it's accuracy.

Well, if we consider that Rosbergs & Carters sources saying Ocon 100% has the drive & now Autobilds source saying Bottas 100% has the drive, pretty much the only thing we can deduce with any confidence is that if anyone here is considering putting together a team to pull off the crime of the century, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ask anyone from Merc to join.

Yes. We are all talking like it's a done deal but in reality we have no idea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:11 am 

Jezza13 wrote:

Mate, it wasn't Herb but me who said other websites are claiming this news from what Autobild has learnt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:46 am 

Even PlannetF1.com has put up an article some while back stating Ocon will be joining Renault. But these are not the words of PlanetF1. They said Autobild.de says Ocon will join Renault.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/ocon-reportedly-set-to-sign-for-renault/

Almost all websites / blogs have given Autobild's sourced rumour. It now depends if all websites 100% believe in Autobild's claims.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Mate, it wasn't Herb but me who said other websites are claiming this news from what Autobild has learnt.

Herb wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 pm 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Herb wrote:

Mate...see my reply to his comment in the post below.

We actually said the same thing. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:15 pm 

One French source / website - L'Equipe is otherwise stating Bottas' news will be confirmed at Spa of him continuing with Mercedes. But the bigger shock is of Ocon. They claim Ocon is being loaned to Renault for 2020. Loaned only means one thing - Mercedes wanting him in the car in 2021.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:40 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Herb wrote:

Ok UnlikeUday, i'm sorry for not mentioning you too. Please accept this as my way of apologizing for my oversight

Everybody...... UnlikeUday said it too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:32 pm 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

How do you figure that? Ocon showed to be on pace with and sometimes faster than Perez. Hulkenberg never showed that against the same guy and just like Quick Nick has been given opportunities under the guise that he's the answer and all he's ever provided us with are more questions. I will say however that this season it appears he's holding his own against Ricciardo but the team continually makes poor strategy calls and Abiteboul seems quite out of his depth as TP. They should bring back Boullier to get the team back on track as he proved he could do more with far less resources over the course of several seasons. Abiteboul just seems like a guy who's motives are based more around vindictiveness and spite rather than intelligent planning, and he outright sucked as TP at Caterham and if you analyze Renault under his "leadership" it feels much the same as Caterham. I mean you can paint the cars green and you'd swear you were back in 2011.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:51 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Herb wrote:

Ok UnlikeUday, i'm sorry for not mentioning you too. Please accept this as my way of apologizing for my oversight

You can chill! Herb said it no doubt & I elaborated it. The thing is Autobild is usually right about their rumours / sources!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:28 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Herb wrote:

You can chill! Herb said it no doubt & I elaborated it. The thing is Autobild is usually right about their rumours / sources!

This is one strange exchange, moving on...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:22 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Do they have to make sure Hulkenberg gets another drive? He isn't their problem if they decide not to keep him on surely.

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/f1/formule-1 ... 53914.html

This article basically confirms my thoughts. (In french)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:47 pm 

Covalent wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/f1/formule-1 ... 53914.html

This article basically confirms my thoughts. (In french)

You surely hit the nail on the head. Perfect point You put up on Hulk. Steiner very much looks interested in getting Hulk over. It depends on Hulk if he sees Haas as a better opportunity or not. I wonder if he's worried after what Gene Haas said about not being able to continue as a F1 team from 2021 due to lack of good results this season.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/haas-f1-contemplating-their-future-beyond-2021/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:47 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Herb wrote:

You brought it up and made an issue out of it, not Herb, so I'm not sure why you're telling Herb to chill.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:56 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
One French source / website - L'Equipe is otherwise stating Bottas' news will be confirmed at Spa of him continuing with Mercedes. But the bigger shock is of Ocon. They claim Ocon is being loaned to Renault for 2020. Loaned only means one thing - Mercedes wanting him in the car in 2021.

Not really. If you were correct and they wanted Ocon in the car for 2021 then that would mean they've already made that decision, which would be based somewhat on his time at Force India but largely on his performance as a simulator/reserve driver. He might not be racing this year but I'm sure they've got a lot of simulator data they can compare directly with Bottas' simulator (and race) data, so they'll know what both are like in terms of one lap pace, long run pace, tyre management, etc. If they loan him out for another year then I would take that as meaning they're less sure about him long-term, and by pairing him with Ricciardo for a year, they would have a very good barometer for what sort of level he's at.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:29 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Not really. If you were correct and they wanted Ocon in the car for 2021 then that would mean they've already made that decision, which would be based somewhat on his time at Force India but largely on his performance as a simulator/reserve driver. He might not be racing this year but I'm sure they've got a lot of simulator data they can compare directly with Bottas' simulator (and race) data, so they'll know what both are like in terms of one lap pace, long run pace, tyre management, etc. If they loan him out for another year then I would take that as meaning they're less sure about him long-term, and by pairing him with Ricciardo for a year, they would have a very good barometer for what sort of level he's at.

By saying chill, I meant Peace. It was my fault. The intent wasn't egoistic but childish. PM'ed him an apology.

Many people in general (here & other forums / websites) don't believe Ocon is worthy enough for a promotion. Mercedes has his simulator data to compare & his numbers & technical feedback must be good which is why Mercedes didn't want to cut ties with him. If it's a 1 year contract, it means 2 things actually. One, they want him back in 2021 & two, they want another year for him to get upto racing pace, get his race craft sharpened & then join Mercedes all ready to go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:27 am 

Maybe Ocon joining Renault isn't assured as people could be thinking.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1169511/Nico-Hulkenberg-Renault-Mercedes-Esteban-Ocon-F1-news-Valtteri-Bottas-Lewis-Hamilton

From Abiteboul.

"Nico's contract, the initial term is coming to an end at the end of this year but there is some mechanism of options as has been commented on press which I'm not going to disclose in the details that can kick in, so it's maybe that we continue our journey with Nico."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:22 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Maybe Ocon joining Renault isn't assured as people could be thinking.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1169511/Nico-Hulkenberg-Renault-Mercedes-Esteban-Ocon-F1-news-Valtteri-Bottas-Lewis-Hamilton

From Abiteboul.

"Nico's contract, the initial term is coming to an end at the end of this year but there is some mechanism of options as has been commented on press which I'm not going to disclose in the details that can kick in, so it's maybe that we continue our journey with Nico."

That's a bombshell ain't it? This surely will put Wolff sweating. Hulk ain't doing too bad to be replaced even.

If this is the case & if Mercedes have selected Bottas for 2020, I wonder why Ocon changed his role in Twitter from Reserve driver to Formula 1 driver?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:24 am 

TS is also now reporting that Bottas' Merc contract will be announced next week as Merc has opted to take on his option.

TS is usually well connected to the Finnish drivers.