Silly Season 2020 (Kubica joins Alfa Romeo)!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

Re: Silly Season 2020!

Post by UnlikeUday »

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:Ocon's management (which also includes Toto) are already trying to find a seat for him in 2020.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/39485/oc ... eason.html

It's probably Mercedes or Haas.
PF1 just posted that Kubica is assessing his options, and probably won’t be in Williams next season. That could be a spot also
Pretty safe to say Kubica won't drive an F1 car again unless by some miracle he starts performing vastly better in the second half of the season.
It's fair to say he's the slowest driver in F1.
Poker, he's only slow because of his physical disabilities. He's still impressing more tan Giovinazzi, who I believe could lose his seat in 2020. Ocon has a good chance at Haas. Williams would be suicide.
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:Ocon's management (which also includes Toto) are already trying to find a seat for him in 2020.

PF1 just posted that Kubica is assessing his options, and probably won’t be in Williams next season. That could be a spot also
Pretty safe to say Kubica won't drive an F1 car again unless by some miracle he starts performing vastly better in the second half of the season.
Poker, he's only slow because of his physical disabilities. He's still impressing more tan Giovinazzi, who I believe could lose his seat in 2020. Ocon has a good chance at Haas. Williams would be suicide.
Giovinazzi's saving grace maybe that Ferrari's other young drivers are at least another year off being ready. Who are they going to bring in?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

But if he performs the way he's doing, would Alfa want to keep him another year as well? Gionivazzi is starting to cause concerns as he's not managed to finish in the points even once.
Feel The Fourth

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:

Well I know that but it is what it is, I don't think that Kubica is impressing anything let alone Giovinazzi, Giovinazzi is showing more basic speed although he does look a bit clumsy in the races, did he not beat Kimi last time of asking?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

UnlikeUday wrote:But if he performs the way he's doing, would Alfa want to keep him another year as well? Gionivazzi is starting to cause concerns as he's not managed to finish in the points even once.
I'm not sure that matters. Alfa only get to chose 1 driver. Ferrari gets to chose the other.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:[

Well I know that but it is what it is, I don't think that Kubica is impressing anything let alone Giovinazzi, Giovinazzi is showing more basic speed although he does look a bit clumsy in the races, did he not beat Kimi last time of asking?[/quote]

He did indeed. Also, going up against Kimi is a much more daunting challenge than going up against an F1 rookie. Kubica should be closer to Russell than he's been, whereas I don't think it's fair to expect Giovinazzi to have been closer to Kimi. I wouldn't say Giovinazzi is doing a good job but I think he's definitely doing a better job.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

Jenson's Understeer

mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:But if he performs the way he's doing, would Alfa want to keep him another year as well? Gionivazzi is starting to cause concerns as he's not managed to finish in the points even once.
I'm not sure that matters. Alfa only get to chose 1 driver. Ferrari gets to chose the other.
Exactly. Kimi's at Alfa in 2020 unless he decides to retire. That means the other seat is entirely up to Ferrari and as has been mentioned, they don't have another kid who is ready for it. Giovinazzi is going to keep it by default.
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote: Pretty safe to say Kubica won't drive an F1 car again unless by some miracle he starts performing vastly better in the second half of the season.
Well I know that but it is what it is, I don't think that Kubica is impressing anything let alone Giovinazzi, Giovinazzi is showing more basic speed although he does look a bit clumsy in the races, did he not beat Kimi last time of asking?
He did indeed. Also, going up against Kimi is a much more daunting challenge than going up against an F1 rookie. Kubica should be closer to Russell than he's been, whereas I don't think it's fair to expect Giovinazzi to have been closer to Kimi. I wouldn't say Giovinazzi is doing a good job but I think he's definitely doing a better job.
Indeed and the biggest performance gap in teammates is actually between Russell and Kubica.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exactly. Kimi's at Alfa in 2020 unless he decides to retire. That means the other seat is entirely up to Ferrari and as has been mentioned, they don't have another kid who is ready for it. Giovinazzi is going to keep it by default.
I don't think the performance gap between Kimi and Giovinazzi warrants him being sacked in itself even though his race results are not good, nominally if a driver is not totally rubbish I think they need 2 years before making that kind of decision.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't think the performance gap between Kimi and Giovinazzi warrants him being sacked in itself even though his race results are not good, nominally if a driver is not totally rubbish I think they need 2 years before making that kind of decision.
I think the writing is already on the wall. There are not many seats in F1 and if you don't impress, you don't last. Giovinazzi will be gone either next year or the year after. He's just not good enough. It's a lot like Vandoorne.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think the writing is already on the wall. There are not many seats in F1 and if you don't impress, you don't last. Giovinazzi will be gone either next year or the year after. He's just not good enough. It's a lot like Vandoorne.
Vandoorne still got 2 years in F1 whilst with Giovinazzi there is no one in Ferrari's junior ranks that they can replace him with next year.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Pierre Gasly should not be a Red Bull driver next year. For me, it's time to give Kvyat a second chance. I don't think Albon is ready for a seat with the big 3 and Kvyat has really performed well so far. I think Gasly is just too far off the pace to be in that seat. I don't expect him to beat Max but at a top team, you need to be at least within 3-4 tenths of your teammate no matter who he is.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

sandman1347 wrote:Pierre Gasly should not be a Red Bull driver next year. For me, it's time to give Kvyat a second chance. I don't think Albon is ready for a seat with the big 3 and Kvyat has really performed well so far. I think Gasly is just too far off the pace to be in that seat. I don't expect him to beat Max but at a top team, you need to be at least within 3-4 tenths of your teammate no matter who he is.
Indeed he's a good 5 tenths slower than Verstappen and presently has the worse match up between teammates:-

I. Pierre Gasly
2. Robert Kubica
3. Lance Stroll
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Given McLarens recent good form and this article relating to Alonso:

https://f1i.com/news/344601-brown-alons ... d-car.html

What are the chances that Zak Brown will ask Chase Carey if they can run a third car?

It would also solve another problem at Mercedes opening a door for Ocon. Is it a non starter since not all teams could run 3 car for financial reasons?

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Option or Prime wrote:Given McLarens recent good form and this article relating to Alonso:

What are the chances that Zak Brown will ask Chase Carey if they can run a third car?

It would also solve another problem at Mercedes opening a door for Ocon. Is it a non starter since not all teams could run 3 car for financial reasons?
It's a non-starter for more reasons than that. How would the points work? Can all three cars score points? If you think we have a lot of complaining now about the big three, wait until there is only one points-paying position for the other teams.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

sandman1347 wrote:Pierre Gasly should not be a Red Bull driver next year. For me, it's time to give Kvyat a second chance. I don't think Albon is ready for a seat with the big 3 and Kvyat has really performed well so far. I think Gasly is just too far off the pace to be in that seat. I don't expect him to beat Max but at a top team, you need to be at least within 3-4 tenths of your teammate no matter who he is.
The problem is I honestly don't think Kvyat or Albon would do a better job. If Red Bull didn't have Verstappen or Hamilton driving for them we would be talking about them as part of the midfield this year.

Option or Prime

sandman1347 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:Given McLarens recent good form and this article relating to Alonso:

It's a non-starter for more reasons than that. How would the points work? Can all three cars score points? If you think we have a lot of complaining now about the big three, wait until there is only one points-paying position for the other teams.
Ok, so presumably Zak Brown was only suggesting it as a way to be kind to Alonso, I get that. Its just that I wonder what Alonso could do in a competitive McLaren, could he have added that extra 9/1000th of a second to get in front of Verstappen and even split the Mercs?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Is it again a coincidence that a team (McLaren) again has become competitive after Alonso left the team?
Feel The Fourth

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Clearly that's just a throw away answer to a question, it's against the rules even though I wouldn't mind it happening there's so many reasons why it can't happen.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Option or Prime wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Ok, so presumably Zak Brown was only suggesting it as a way to be kind to Alonso, I get that. Its just that I wonder what Alonso could do in a competitive McLaren, could he have added that extra 9/1000th of a second to get in front of Verstappen and even split the Mercs?
I would say more like 2 or 3 tenths.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

UnlikeUday wrote:Is it again a coincidence that a team (McLaren) again has become competitive after Alonso left the team?
They are only as competitive now as they were at the start of 2018. They are also full of people basically hired by Alonso, so perhaps he deserves some credit?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:Is it again a coincidence that a team (McLaren) again has become competitive after Alonso left the team?
It did cross my mind as well.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

At this point last year Alonso on his own had more points than both drivers put together this year. Competitive is one thing, bringing it home in a strong position is another
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

j man

Post by j man »

mikeyg123 wrote:
They are only as competitive now as they were at the start of 2018. They are also full of people basically hired by Alonso, so perhaps he deserves some credit?
Basically hired by Alonso?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

j man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
People like De Feran and Stella. Alonso people.

Option or Prime

Down to Andreas Seidl surely?

j man

Post by j man »

Option or Prime wrote:Down to Andreas Seidl surely?
That was my thought. The turnaround started once he came on board.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Option or Prime wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

No.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

sandman1347 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:Ok, so presumably Zak Brown was only suggesting it as a way to be kind to Alonso, I get that. Its just that I wonder what Alonso could do in a competitive McLaren, could he have added that extra 9/1000th of a second to get in front of Verstappen and even split the Mercs?
No.
Really? You think Alonso isn't even 9/1000 quicker than Norris? You know that for a definite enough fact to state simply 'no?'
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mas

Post by mas »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mick Schumacher ?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

mas wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mick Schumacher ?
Unless he has a huge uplift in performance in the coming races he isn't ready.

Jenson's Understeer

mas wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mick Schumacher ?
Although he qualifies for a superlicense at the moment, he'll lose eligibility if he doesn't either finish in the top 6 in this season's F2 championship, or alternatively finish 7th or 8th and then go and win Macau for an extra five points. Right now it's looking unlikely he's going to finish in the top eight, but that's not to say he won't get more comfortable as the season progresses and be able to recover lost ground.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Bad teams with big budgets improving from poor years isn't really surprising though is it? He left them for a reason, they were poor in his last year there (2009+2014+2018). The teams he left who were good didn't improve when he left (2006+2007),which isn't surprising either.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
People like De Feran and Stella. Alonso people.
And Fry.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

j man wrote:
He only joined last month, the foundations were layed last year with the development of this years car once the previous fault was found on the old one last summer. if we're dishing out credit then it should go to Zak,Fry,Prod,Stella,De Ferran,Alonso and Vandoorne amongst countless nameless others no doubt.

It's too early to give Seidl and Key any credit for the current updates that have had lead times of months before they even stepped aboard. We won't see their on track influence for months, probably not until next year. Organisational changes or improved efficiency could be seen sooner from Seidl but Key's focus is supposedly on next years car already and any hints or suggestions for this years car will need months of lead time so maybe small things could be added by the Asian leg but they both have nothing to do with the Spanish upgrades which built on the promising base delivered to winter testing from the guys in charge last year, like Fry.

Jenson's Understeer

Lotus49 wrote:
j man wrote:
He only joined last month, the foundations were layed last year with the development of this years car once the previous fault was found on the old one last summer. if we're dishing out credit then it should go to Zak,Fry,Prod,Stella,De Ferran,Alonso and Vandoorne amongst countless nameless others no doubt.

It's too early to give Seidl and Key any credit for the current updates that have had lead times of months before they even stepped aboard. We won't see their on track influence for months, probably not until next year. Organisational changes or improved efficiency could be seen sooner from Seidl but Key's focus is supposedly on next years car already and any hints or suggestions for this years car will need months of lead time so maybe small things could be added by the Asian leg but they both have nothing to do with the Spanish upgrades which built on the promising base delivered to winter testing from the guys in charge last year, like Fry.
And once it is built, the wind tunnel is going to be a huge benefit. I was at the MTC last month and the guy I was with showed me what they've got at the moment, and basically said the scale they're working on essentially meant they couldn't use it for anything meaningful, hence using Toyota's.

As an aside, the MTC is a ridiculously impressive building. As good as it looks on TV, the attention to detail with the architecture and away from what you see on TV is stunning. Walking around it really hammers home just how big McLaren's underperformance has been in recent years.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

I'll say this about McLaren. For me, they make 10 times better road cars than Ferrari at the moment. I recently saw a 720S up close and personal and I fell in love. Meanwhile Ferrari, with the F8, seem stuck on evolution of the 458 ever since they stopped working with Pininfarina.

I sincerely hope that McLaren can come back up to the front and start winning again. They were my favorite team for most of the time I've watched F1. If I had to pick one team I like best, it's McLaren and my two all time favorite drivers drove for them as well. I really want to see them win again.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

sandman1347 wrote:I'll say this about McLaren. For me, they make 10 times better road cars than Ferrari at the moment. I recently saw a 720S up close and personal and I fell in love. Meanwhile Ferrari, with the F8, seem stuck on evolution of the 458 ever since they stopped working with Pininfarina.

I sincerely hope that McLaren can come back up to the front and start winning again. They were my favorite team for most of the time I've watched F1. If I had to pick one team I like best, it's McLaren and my two all time favorite drivers drove for them as well. I really want to see them win again.
Having spent Sunday surrounded by Ferrari's at Snetterton circuit, I can assure you that for some, me included, they look stunning. The 458 Pista is stunning close up. The attention to detail on the all the aero bits is astonishing.

The McLaren cars are what you'd expect. Perfectly built, honed in wind tunnels ,but for some, including leading journalists, lacking in character as they're rather clinical.

I also think the Senna looks like it was styled by a GCSE DT student. Amazing car but looks awful to my eyes.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:I'll say this about McLaren. For me, they make 10 times better road cars than Ferrari at the moment. I recently saw a 720S up close and personal and I fell in love. Meanwhile Ferrari, with the F8, seem stuck on evolution of the 458 ever since they stopped working with Pininfarina.

Having spent Sunday surrounded by Ferrari's at Snetterton circuit, I can assure you that for some, me included, they look stunning. The 458 Pista is stunning close up. The attention to detail on the all the aero bits is astonishing.

The McLaren cars are what you'd expect. Perfectly built, honed in wind tunnels ,but for some, including leading journalists, lacking in character as they're rather clinical.

I also think the Senna looks like it was styled by a GCSE DT student. Amazing car but looks awful to my eyes.
Your comments would be right at home if this were 2012 but I think the tide has turned as far as public opinion goes to be honest. The "lacking character" comments were apropos during the days of the MP4-12C but the 600LT and the 720S and their spider variants are in a different league. The Senna is not my cup of tea either but have you seen the Speedtail!? Looks amazing!

I don't actually think modern Ferraris are ugly but when you use the example of the 458; I think you touch on the issue. The 458 is a decade old at this point and the 488 and F8, for me, look very very similar. The interior especially hasn't been substantially updated in ages. Ferrari are not really innovating right now while McLaren have something new and exciting almost every year.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Asphalt_World wrote:

I find the Senna to be a proper ugly car. In stark contrast to how it performs. Same as the Speedtail, seems like someone dragged the back end of the car. Ferrari seem to be nicer in the eye and a bit more refined, but McLaren seem to always be faster somehow!