PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Bahrain

Which driver won each intra-team battle in Bahrain?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Hamilton
10%
Bottas
0%
Vettel
0%
Leclerc
10%
Verstappen
10%
Gasly
No votes
Ricciardo
0%
Hulkenberg
10%
Magnussen
9%
Grosjean
1%
Sainz
2%
Norris
8%
Perez
9%
Stroll
1%
Raikkonen
10%
Giovinazzi
No votes
Albon
6%
Kvyat
3%
Russell
10%
Kubica
0%

Total votes: 307

Jenson's Understeer

PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Bahrain

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

The results from the first vote of the season are as follows:

In a break from what I did last year, this year I'm going to separate out each team's scores and include my little blurb about them there.

Mercedes
TMW race winner: Bottas (100%)
Hamilton 0 - 1 Bottas
Hamilton 0% - 100% Bottas

Just as we all expected and predicted, one of the Mercedes drivers turns up at the first race of the season and dominates, controlling the race and even taking the extra point for fastest lap en-route to a comprehensive victory. What we didn't predict? That it would be Valtteri Bottas. While Lewis' performance in the race could be attributed to a damaged floor, and he did take pole, that wasn't enough to sway any of the PF1 voters as 100% of us gave the nod to the flying Finn. Who said 2019 was going to be predictable?!

Ferrari
TMW race winner: Vettel (64%)
Vettel 1 - 0 Leclerc
Vettel 64% - 36% Leclerc

The closest of all ten TMW votes in Australia was at Ferrari. Seb Vettel picked up the TMW victory but didn't garner even two thirds of the votes. A difficult battle to call saw Vettel both qualify and finish ahead of Leclerc, who himself had an off-road excursion during the race. However, the second part of the grand prix saw Leclerc quickly reduce the deficit to his four-time WDC teammate, to the point where Ferrari had to jump in with team orders and call off the battle before it began. It was enough to sway 17 of you into voting for Charles, but ultimately not enough to prevent Seb starting 2019 with a TMW win.

Red Bull
TMW race winner: Verstappen
Verstappen 1 - 0 Gasly
Verstappen 100% - 0% Gasly

Yeah, about 2019 being unpredictable... apparently nobody at Red Bull got the message. Gasly was on the backfoot from the start, not even making it out of Q1 and setting himself up for a tough weekend. Meanwhile Max looked his usual racey self, forcing his way past an ailing Vettel for the final place on the podium. A gulf in performance that was reflected with Max becoming the second driver of the day to secure all of the votes.

Renault
TMW race winner: Hulkenberg
Ricciardo 0 - 1 Hulkenberg
Ricciardo 2% - 98% Hulkenberg

A landslide victory for Nico Hulkenberg perhaps wouldn't have been predicted after the Renault pair qualified a mere 0.008 apart from each other, suggesting that things between them could be pretty tight all year. That was as good as it got for Ricciardo though, as his race was essentially over before the first corner. His teammate had a much better afternoon, gaining places from his starting position to secure Renault's first points of the year, as well as the first TMW win of the year for the Enstone team.

Haas
TMW race winner: Magnussen
Magnussen 1 - 0 Grosjean
Magnussen 93% - 7% Grosjean

It's 2018 all over again for Romain Grosjean, whose 2019 gets off to an awful start. Things weren't so grim for Kevin Magnussen, however. A year after heartbreak down under, the Dane found himself finishing in the top six despite the fact that none of the Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull cars failed to make it to the end of the race. An achievement accurately reflected by an overwhelming 93% of the TMW votes going his way.

McLaren
TMW race winner: Norris
Sainz 0 - 1 Norris
Sainz 7% - 93% Norris

A fine start to his Formula 1 career saw Lando Norris first make it to Q3, with his teammate failing to get out of Q1, run a strong first stint and then miss out on points by way of being on the wrong strategy. For Carlos Sainz, the race was a continuation of a weekend to forget as he became 2019 first retirement. It was a combination of results that meant Norris scored heavily in the PF1 TMW vote, polling all but three votes to take a resounding TMW win.

Racing Point
TMW race winner: Stroll
Perez 0 - 1 Stroll
Perez 12% - 88% Stroll

A very lopsided vote here, but perhaps a little surprising? Sergio Perez made it to Q3 but his teammate fell victim of Robert Kubica's brush with the wall, the yellow flags thwarting his attempt to make it out of the first part of quali. As it turned out, it actually did Stroll a favour as it meant Perez pitted first and ended up amongst those on the wrong strategy. Stroll was able to take advantage and produced a mature defensive drive on his way to a debut points finish for his new team. A sign of things to come or a race where strategy was king?

Sauber
TMW race winner: Raikkonen
Raikkonen 1 - 0 Giovinazzi
Raikkonen 95% - 5% Giovinazzi

Perhaps the only surprise here is that the Italian scored any votes at all. Kimi looked stronger all weekend, reaching Q3 and generally having a good three tenths on his rookie teammate. It set him up for a second debut points finish for the Hinwil-based team, whilst reaffirming the fact that Antonio Giovinazzi is going to have a big task on his hands if he's to even equal Kimi.

Toro Rosso
TMW race winner: Kyvat
Albon 0 - 1 Kvyat
Albon 7% - 93% Kvyat

A solid return to F1 for the oft-dropped Kvyat. Qualifying didn't work out for the Russian as being sent out on used tyres for Q2 torpedo'ed (heh) his chances of making Q3. However the race fell nicely for him, and he would no doubt have had a wry smile on his face finishing a position ahead of Pierre Gasly in the second Red Bull. Alex Albon didn't have an awful weekend but starting ahead of Kvyat and finishing behind him was clearly enough to scupper his hopes of a good start in the TMW voting.

Williams
TMW race winner: Russell
Russell 1 - 0 Kubica
Russell 98% - 2% Kubica

If the midfield battle in F1 is far enough behind the top three teams to be considered 'Formula 1.5', it's safe to say the Williams pair are basically competing in their own private Formula 1.98 this season. It looks like a lot of their year is going to be spent battling nobody other than each other. In his debut weekend, George Russell certainly took the spoils, looking as comfortable in the car as he could be given the circumstances. Robert Kubica's return to F1 was far from a fairytale, however. Contact with the wall on the way into the pits in practice, contact with the wall in qualifying, and then a whole host of issues in the race. On the plus side, it's difficult to imagine it can get too much worse, but at the same time it doesn't look like it can get a great deal better anytime soon!
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

Vettel Fan

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Bahrain

Post by Vettel Fan »

I like that you kept results from the first vote. Will you be adding the new scores to keep a running tally?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

I like the full writeup! :thumbup:

As usual, I'll separate the ones I see as being straightforward calls from the ones I see as being at all contentious. The easy ones were Hamilton, Leclerc, Verstappen, Hulk, Magnussen, Perez, Raikkonen and Russel.

That leaves only two teams that I see as more of a judgment call:

For McLaren, I went with Sainz, and was a bit surprised to find myself as the only one to do so as of yet. Sainz outpaced Norris in qualifying, and was running well ahead in the race when he had contact from a racing incident and eventually retired with a gearbox fault. I see him as having been quicker than Norris all weekend, and not at fault for the 50/50 collision with Max.

For Toro Rosso, I selected Kvyat. Albon's qualifying advantage was largely if not entirely down to a team mistake on Kvyat's side of the garage, and in the race Kvyat was quite unlucky to be the victim of a clumsy hit by another car. I believe he was the better performer all around this weekend.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (5 wins, 17 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

I see we have some troll votes in already.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:I like the full writeup! :thumbup:

As usual, I'll separate the ones I see as being straightforward calls from the ones I see as being at all contentious. The easy ones were Hamilton, Leclerc, Verstappen, Hulk, Magnussen, Perez, Raikkonen and Russel.

That leaves only two teams that I see as more of a judgment call:

For McLaren, I went with Sainz, and was a bit surprised to find myself as the only one to do so as of yet. Sainz outpaced Norris in qualifying, and was running well ahead in the race when he had contact from a racing incident and eventually retired with a gearbox fault. I see him as having been quicker than Norris all weekend, and not at fault for the 50/50 collision with Max.

For Toro Rosso, I selected Kvyat. Albon's qualifying advantage was largely if not entirely down to a team mistake on Kvyat's side of the garage, and in the race Kvyat was quite unlucky to be the victim of a clumsy hit by another car. I believe he was the better performer all around this weekend.

I was thinking exactly the same regarding Sainz, regarding Kvyat I also understand were you're coming from but circumstances prevented him from showing he was quicker in either qualifying or the race, so Albon ran in front of him and scored points so I went for Albon.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I went for the obvious with most, but didn't vote for either of the two Toro Rosso drivers or Mclaren either.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Be interesting to read the justifications for voting Bottas and Vettel...

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Zoue wrote:Be interesting to read the justifications for voting Bottas and Vettel...

:thumbup: :nod:

Mostly straight forward choices. I voted for Lando over Carlos more because Lando also beat Gasly and Raikkonen. I was impressed that Sainz could battle with Max and was torn as to whether to acknowledge that speed or recognize Lando's great finish.
Last edited by Mort Canard on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mission WinLater

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

J.U.
Thanks again for doing the Team Mate Wars. Good format and good info. :thumbup:
Mission WinLater

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:Be interesting to read the justifications for voting Bottas and Vettel...

At the time I voted it was 11-1 for both so I kind of was guessing it might have been the same person? :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Mort Canard wrote:

Mostly straight forward choices. I voted for Lando over Carlos more because Lando also beat Gasly and Raikkonen. I was impressed that Sainz could battle with Max and was torn as to whether to acknowledge that speed or recognize Lando's great finish.

Yeah I did consider Sainz but given it happened so early on and Norris did a good job all race I think he earned it.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

Yeah I did consider Sainz but given it happened so early on and Norris did a good job all race I think he earned it.

If Carlos is able to challenge Max on a semi-regular basis, there could be a lot of incidents on track this year. I would love to see Max having to deal with more folks challenging him.
Mission WinLater

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Mort Canard wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

If Carlos is able to challenge Max on a semi-regular basis, there could be a lot of incidents on track this year. I would love to see Max having to deal with more folks challenging him.

It also doesn't help that they don't like each other, one reason given for Sainz not getting the Red Bull drive.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Sainz f*ck*d off Marko. That was his main problem.
Last edited by mikeyg123 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:Sainz chocolate fudge cake*d off Marko. That was his main problem.

Did he shove it in his face? :lol:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Sainz chocolate fudge cake*d off Marko. That was his main problem.

Did he shove it in his face? :lol:

Marko clearly does not love fudge cake.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

pokerman wrote:

At the time I voted it was 11-1 for both so I kind of was guessing it might have been the same person? :)

If it was the same person who voted Ricciardo I have a suspicion who it was.
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Go on... :D

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Go on... :D

Yeah beats me as well? :?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition