Leclerc was initially told to stay behind Vettel

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
pokerman

Leclerc was initially told to stay behind Vettel

Post by pokerman »

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/01/lec ... nd-vettel/

I heard Leclerc ask if he could pass Vettel but we never heard a reply, Leclerc went and passed Vettel anyway.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Zoue

Re: Leclerc was initially told to stay behind Vettel

Post by Zoue »

ah, here we go. Conspiracy 101.

Ferrari told him to wait for a couple of laps, that's all. This needs a thread?

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Zoue wrote:ah, here we go. Conspiracy 101.

Where exactly is a conspiracy theory in the OP and the article?

RustyRockets44

Post by RustyRockets44 »

It’s a shame they played the audio on live tv of Charles saying “I’m quicker” but then they never played Ferrari’s message to hold. I would have liked the context.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Given the rubbish that's been spouted pre-race about Ferrari not letting Leclerc race, all this does is pour fuel on the fire. It's a simple radio message that doesn't need its own thread. Ferrari told him to wait for a couple of laps, big deal. It's not unusual for teams to do that in similar circumstances. They're always nervous about team mates fighting each other

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Given the rubbish that's been spouted pre-race about Ferrari not letting Leclerc race, all this does is pour fuel on the fire. It's a simple radio message that doesn't need its own thread. Ferrari told him to wait for a couple of laps, big deal. It's not unusual for teams to do that in similar circumstances. They're always nervous about team mates fighting each other
So, you agree there is no conspiracy theory in the OP and the referenced article. Good.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I was actually complimentary at the time for Ferrari allowing the drivers to race until I saw that Leclerc basically went against the team order, I have to wonder why he had to wait 2 laps for Ferrari to decide what to do?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Did Hamilton need to ask for permission to pass Bottas?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Well I doubt Vettel would need permission either. But Leclerc's new - you don't think he might be feeling his way a bit? You'd give him the same confidence as Hamilton?

Anyway, he said himself he wasn't asking for permission. It's a non-story

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:

I was actually complimentary at the time for Ferrari allowing the drivers to race until I saw that Leclerc basically went against the team order, I have to wonder why he had to wait 2 laps for Ferrari to decide what to do?
They probably just wanted to see if Vettel would speed up. 2 laps is hardly a big deal. Mountain out of a molehill

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

So, you agree there is no conspiracy theory in the OP and the referenced article. Good.
Don't presume to speak for me. You're not qualified.

I think the thread was created to stir things up. So yes, in that respect it's conspiracy 101

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Well I doubt Vettel would need permission either. But Leclerc's new - you don't think he might be feeling his way a bit? You'd give him the same confidence as Hamilton?

He obviously felt he had to ask like in Australia.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

I think the thread was created to stir things up. So yes, in that respect it's conspiracy 101
So, what and where is the conspiracy?

Blake

Post by Blake »

Paolo
It often appears that there is an attempt by some, even the media, to bring the suggestion of Team Orders regarding Ferrari at.any opportunity, practice or not. We saw that even in qualifying by the most "knowledgeable" Crofty
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Blake wrote:Paolo
It often appears that there is an attempt by some, even the media, to bring the suggestion of Team Orders regarding Ferrari at.any opportunity, practice or not. We saw that even in qualifying by the most "knowledgeable" Crofty
Well, I cannot comment upon Crofty as I do not watch that broadcast (instead I watch either German or various Scandinavian broadcasts).

Apart from that, this is not surprising given Ferrari's TO history.

But that's not my point. What I am opposing is the trial by Zoue to derail and abuse an absolute legitimate discussion by accusing conspiracy theories that are simply not there, neither in the OP not in the referenced article. Simple as that, really.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Apart from the fact Crofty is known for not having any actual knowledge, the same Crofty that suggested that Hamilton said Bottas should not get cocky when he actually said the downshifts are getting clunky, oh the outrage of it all on what we told is a Hamilton centric broadcast what was Crofty thinking?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Blake

Post by Blake »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Well, I cannot comment upon Crofty as I do not watch that broadcast (instead I watch either German or various Scandinavian broadcasts).

Apart from that, this is not surprising given Ferrari's TO history.

But that's not my point. What I am opposing is the trial by Zoue to derail and abuse an absolute legitimate discussion by accusing conspiracy theories that are simply not there, neither in the OP not in the referenced article. Simple as that, really.
I'd argue that Zoue is right in that this is not a necessary topic. It really is a "nothing" event.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Leclerc did NOT ask for permission. His transmission was "I am quicker guys". Leclerc says he was just letting them know with his original message.

...and if Sebastian has a problem with that I have a few choice words for him, "Multi 21"!!!! :-P
Mission WinLater

Blake

Post by Blake »

Mort Canard wrote:Leclerc did NOT ask for permission. His transmission was "I am quicker guys". Leclerc says he was just letting them know with his original message.

...and if Sebastian has a problem with that I have a few choice words for him, "Multi 21"!!!! :-P
where is their any mention of Seb having "a problem with that"? I didn't see it in the article.

I did see, however, that Leclerc did say the team told the drivers to be careful fighting each other... I guess that was the Ferrari team orders.
;)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

j man

Post by j man »

To me the interesting part of this is not so much that the order was made, it's that Leclerc ignored it and passed Vettel anyway. It's the same attitude with which Hamilton approached his 2007 season, that he is not prepared to play the team game by playing second fiddle to the more illustrious name in the other car, and I applaud him for it. It's the mentality of a champion.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

j man wrote:To me the interesting part of this is not so much that the order was made, it's that Leclerc ignored it and passed Vettel anyway. It's the same attitude with which Hamilton approached his 2007 season, that he is not prepared to play the team game by playing second fiddle to the more illustrious name in the other car, and I applaud him for it. It's the mentality of a champion.

I agree. Ferrari potentially has a big problem on their hand now, because Seb is most definitely not going to listen to team orders either after this. So if Leclerc is just simply faster than Vettel, they are going to have to do some things to control the order, perhaps restricting further upgrades for one of them? This is what happens when you have two alphas in one team. It is always very difficult to manage. This actually helps Lewis I think, because they will take points off each other. Anyway, could be a fascinating rivalry.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

kleefton wrote:
j man wrote:To me the interesting part of this is not so much that the order was made, it's that Leclerc ignored it and passed Vettel anyway. It's the same attitude with which Hamilton approached his 2007 season, that he is not prepared to play the team game by playing second fiddle to the more illustrious name in the other car, and I applaud him for it. It's the mentality of a champion.

I agree. Ferrari potentially has a big problem on their hand now, because Seb is most definitely not going to listen to team orders either after this. So if Leclerc is just simply faster than Vettel, they are going to have to do some things to control the order, perhaps restricting further upgrades for one of them? This is what happens when you have two alphas in one team. It is always very difficult to manage. This actually helps Lewis I think, because they will take points off each other. Anyway, could be a fascinating rivalry.
Could be also down to contracts I guess. Some drivers have stipulations about receiving updates first, etc.

For me the biggest problem Ferrari has is that their star driver is not performing. For a good while now, as if he has lost motivation. I'm not going to go into comparisons, but I can't see Lewis, being the main competitor if you want, having this kind of problem; mentally Lewis is so much better/stronger than anyone on track, it's his biggest weapon against Seb at the moment I think.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

It specifically said in the article that he wasn't asking.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Yes I've just made the same comparison in the Leclerc thread.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

kleefton wrote:

Holding back upgrades to one driver will only hurt the team and if they did that what if they found they backed the wrong horse?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote: Given the rubbish that's been spouted pre-race about Ferrari not letting Leclerc race, all this does is pour fuel on the fire. It's a simple radio message that doesn't need its own thread. Ferrari told him to wait for a couple of laps, big deal. It's not unusual for teams to do that in similar circumstances. They're always nervous about team mates fighting each other

Then why even say it?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Who knows, maybe he wanted advice on how to get past or the team to tell Vettel to move aside or perhaps an alternative strategy. That's beside the point; he didn't ask so maybe you should alter the OP since it's probably an outright lie?
pokerman wrote:https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/01/lec ... nd-vettel/

I heard Leclerc ask if he could pass Vettel but we never heard a reply, Leclerc went and passed Vettel anyway.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Covalent wrote:Who knows, maybe he wanted advice on how to get past or the team to tell Vettel to move aside or perhaps an alternative strategy. That's beside the point; he didn't ask so maybe you should alter the OP since it's probably an outright lie?

So you want to try and destroy the thread on semantics, the reply was wait 2 laps more so I would say it's quite obvious what was being asked?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote: Did Hamilton need to ask for permission to pass Bottas?

Like jeopardy, the statement was the question disguised as a matter of fact comment. C’mon guys we all KNOW how this game works. The young lad doesn’t want to make himself look like a timid cub so he’s keen on how to say and ask things. This is no different than the whole “C’mon guys, theese is shriduculuss!” “Ok Felipe, Fernando is faster than you” debacle. Just different words said in a different manor, but both having the exact same meaning. The difference here is that Leclerc didn’t wait around for his team to make the call and took matters into his own hands.

Nothing more, nothing less.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Zvitorepec

Post by Zvitorepec »

I just hope Seb will keep his cool even IF Charles continues to dominate the upcoming races, otherwise this may turn ugly quite soon. The material is too on-par with Mercedes, meaning they need to keep working hard as a team and not pin against each other over some ego BS. Not quite sure if we can expect cool head from Seb throughout the year under these circumstances, but certainly hope I'm wrong.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Without nowadays' need of making one big headline everyday, by inflating an insignifiant story to the proportion of the crime of the century if there's nothing else in sight, this would just be a footnote.
He overtook Vettel before the end of the second lap instead of waiting 2 more corners. Good. It eventually saved Ferrari pitwall and Vettel from embarassment.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:Who knows, maybe he wanted advice on how to get past or the team to tell Vettel to move aside or perhaps an alternative strategy. That's beside the point; he didn't ask so maybe you should alter the OP since it's probably an outright lie?

So you want to try and destroy the thread on semantics, the reply was wait 2 laps more so I would say it's quite obvious what was being asked?
The messages normally come to us with a delay, could it be that he passed after two laps as instructed, but the message was relayed to us later?

kowen1208

Post by kowen1208 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Right. We heard Leclerc tell Ferrari he was quicker. My assumption during the race was that the team told him he could go for it if he could do it cleanly. Binotto told the press that they'd be allowed to race. So what's the big deal?

j man

Post by j man »

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

The messages normally come to us with a delay, could it be that he passed after two laps as instructed, but the message was relayed to us later?
Not according to the man himself:

In two laps, Leclerc cut Vettel's two-second lead in half, then went on the radio to tell his team, as if they hadn't noticed: "Guys, I'm much faster."

"I was just letting them know," Leclerc said after the race. "I had an answer, and they said: 'Stay like this for two laps.' But I had an opportunity on the next lap."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47768567

I'm struggling to understand why this is so contentious.

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Paolo_Lasardi can't speak for you, he's not qualified. But you "think" why the OP created this thread, and you can speak for him, and call him a conspiracy theorist. Not to mention, facts can now be conspiracy theories.

Logic took a much-needed break today, I see.

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

He did quite well overtaking, so looks like you're speaking for him (Leclerc) too (and wrongly, might I add). Leclerc had the speed to overtake, and he did so. He certainly had the confidence. You might want to give him some credit there.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

ReservoirDog wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
He did quite well overtaking, so looks like you're speaking for him (Leclerc) too (and wrongly, might I add). Leclerc had the speed to overtake, and he did so. He certainly had the confidence. You might want to give him some credit there.
Sorry, should have been more clear - I meant confident of his position within the team. He's still very much the new boy (although that might be mitigated by the fact he's in the Ferrari Driver Academy). I was highlighting that Hamilton would likely be a lot more secure in himself and a comparison with Leclerc in that situation would be unfair

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

ReservoirDog wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Paolo_Lasardi can't speak for you, he's not qualified. But you "think" why the OP created this thread, and you can speak for him, and call him a conspiracy theorist. Not to mention, facts can now be conspiracy theories.

I think it's pretty obvious why the thread was created, yes

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

This is just one more reason I am opposed to team orders. A whole page of forum chat wasted on .... oh well, at least Bernie has not weighed in ... yet.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Zoue wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Zoue wrote: Don't presume to speak for me. You're not qualified.

I think it's pretty obvious why the thread was created, yes
So, where exactly is a conspiracy theory in the OP and the article?