2019 Bahrain Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
lucifers

Re: 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by lucifers »

UnlikeUday wrote:It's strange that Leclerc & Hamilton (both who were starting on the cleaner side), got the worse starts when compared to their respective team mates!
Verstappen has well

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

BMWSauber84 wrote:I'm truly gutted for Leclerc. He has proven a hell.of a lot this weekend and that Ferrari is very capable of winning the title.

For Vettel and Ferrari there were shades of 2018 there. Seb threw away potentially crucial points with the kind of error he just never seemed to make when he raced for Red Bull. But he got away with it to an extent die to his teammates misfortune.

Down to earth with a bang for Bottas, comfortably beaten by Hamilton who drove pretty well but not exceptionally so.
Probably because he wasn't under pressure at RB.

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Lewis was class act after the race. :thumbup:

robins13

Post by robins13 »

pokerman wrote:
neek wrote:Hahaha 'downshifts are very clunky' vs 'valtteri is very cocky' :D
Not great by di Resta. :thumbdown:
I thought that was Crofty, and DiResta correcting him.

robins13

Post by robins13 »

Tough luck Charles, but he handled it perfectly. He has won many new fans today definitely.

robins13

Post by robins13 »

Imagine the forum meltdown and conspiracy theories, if Seb was second(he was not, cause of his own mistakes) while the turbo issue appears for Charles.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

robins13 wrote:Imagine the forum meltdown and conspiracy theories, if Seb was second(he was not, cause of his own mistakes) while the turbo issue appears for Charles.
Didn't think of that, yeah that definitely would have got the tin foil hats out in force on here.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Ocon wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:I'm truly gutted for Leclerc. He has proven a hell.of a lot this weekend and that Ferrari is very capable of winning the title.

For Vettel and Ferrari there were shades of 2018 there. Seb threw away potentially crucial points with the kind of error he just never seemed to make when he raced for Red Bull. But he got away with it to an extent die to his teammates misfortune.

Down to earth with a bang for Bottas, comfortably beaten by Hamilton who drove pretty well but not exceptionally so.
Probably because he wasn't under pressure at RB.
There's always pressure when fighting for a championship, but the Ferrari pressure seems to be this mentally draining cumulative pressure.

Vettel looked brilliant in 2015 when he was Ferrari's shiny new plaything, a breath of fresh air for the team after the relationship with Alonso became tetchy. But the failures of 2017 and 2018 seem to have turbed the italian media against him and the pressure builds year on year.

Getting back to winning ways will cure a lot of that, he's without a win since Spa. His confidence looks pretty low right now.

Bobafett

Post by Bobafett »

This year seems to be the breakout year for the newer guys,, vetteland Hamilton are in their 30's now.. We are seeing guys like vertappen and le clerc come up and dazzle.. The future of F1 looks exciting

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:It's strange that Leclerc & Hamilton (both who were starting on the cleaner side), got the worse starts when compared to their respective team mates!
Yep I'm not convinced about the advantage given to pole position when you're giving the inside of the corner to the driver starting directly behind you.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Bobafett wrote:This year seems to be the breakout year for the newer guys,, vetteland Hamilton are in their 30's now.. We are seeing guys like vertappen and le clerc come up and dazzle.. The future of F1 looks exciting
This could be the case. It could also be the case that the Vettel and Hamilton, having won 8 of the last 9 world titles, will never win one again!

sidders

Post by sidders »

F1Tyrant wrote:It seems that without the protection of elderly, past-it teammates that Vettel is no better than the likes of Rosberg. Just how good was last year's Ferrari?
If Hamilton was driving it I've no doubt he would have won WC comfortably

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

sidders wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:It seems that without the protection of elderly, past-it teammates that Vettel is no better than the likes of Rosberg. Just how good was last year's Ferrari?
he already won the WC comfortably...

sidders

Post by sidders »

Zoue wrote:
sidders wrote:
Yes but the Ferrari was as fast and arguably faster than the Merc. He should have won the title but wasn't up to it

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Ferrari was the best car this weekend no doubt so it was a very poor weekend for them in what seems like might be a very tight season.

Said it before, and will say it again and again vettel is not an elite driver. He is the most fortunate driver in F1 history and has was more titles than he'd have won with any sort of true compeition. He is known for putting it on pole and scampering away, yet he wasn't allowed to do that this weekend because leclerc was superior, outqualified him and then when vettel thought he would scampering away he suddenly found leclerc back in his mirrors immediately.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

JN23 wrote:
Bobafett wrote:This year seems to be the breakout year for the newer guys,, vetteland Hamilton are in their 30's now.. We are seeing guys like vertappen and le clerc come up and dazzle.. The future of F1 looks exciting
This could be the case. It could also be the case that the Vettel and Hamilton, having won 8 of the last 9 world titles, will never win one again!
On todays performance I think one will and the other one won't.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

sidders wrote:
Zoue wrote:
sidders wrote:
Yes but the Ferrari was as fast and arguably faster than the Merc. He should have won the title but wasn't up to it
The "arguably" bit is significant here. This has been debated to death already and today doesn't really change anything. Vettel was undoubtedly poor today but it doesn't have any bearing on last year

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Zoue wrote:
sidders wrote:
Zoue wrote:
sidders wrote:
The "arguably" bit is significant here. This has been debated to death already and today doesn't really change anything. Vettel was undoubtedly poor today but it doesn't have any bearing on last year
It does have bearing tho, unfortunately for vettel the value of his achievements are getting scrutinised due to his modern performances, and that even includes his bad 2018 because it shows that other drivers e.g. leclerc are perfectly capable of extracting more performance from the car than vettel - therefore it pays hay to the idea that the Ferrari was rather superior to the merc

Mod Yellow

Post by Mod Yellow »

Todays race thread isn't the place to be debating about who had the better car last year, lets try and keep it on topic please guys.

Option or Prime

You have to wonder how today affects Ferrari's attitude to its drivers for the rest of the season though don't you? They are now behind by 18 points after only 2 races and Mercedes will whittle that speed difference down as the season progresses.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Option or Prime wrote:You have to wonder how today affects Ferrari's attitude to its drivers for the rest of the season though don't you? They are now behind by 18 points after only 2 races and Mercedes will whittle that speed difference down as the season progresses.
What makes you so sure? I do agree though.

On topic:

I can't remember the last time Vettel was so comprehensively outclassed over the course of the race weekend by his team-mate. Quite impressive from Leclerc, who deserved the win today -- it wasn't to be.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Invade wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:You have to wonder how today affects Ferrari's attitude to its drivers for the rest of the season though don't you? They are now behind by 18 points after only 2 races and Mercedes will whittle that speed difference down as the season progresses.

On topic:

I can't remember the last time Vettel was so comprehensively outclassed over the course of the race weekend by his team-mate. Quite impressive from Leclerc, who deserved the win today -- it wasn't to be.
By Dan in Abu Dhabi 2014 probably.

6ths in quali and finished over 40s up the road at finish. (Both started in the pitlane, Dan finished 4th and Seb 8th)
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I have now watched the race. If the stories about Ferrari having to run in a lower mode in Australia are true then it seems they have a reliability problem - remember they had a few towards the end of testing.

Gutted for Leclerc, he was excellent all weekend. Vettel needs to hope this was just a bad weekend.

Bottas - where did he lose so much time? Seems the new, ruthless Bottas might have been short lived.

Well done to Huldenberg (also unlucky) and Norris for very good drives in the midfield.

Edit - also, Red Bull struggled this weekend so interested to see how that plays out in the coming races.

Todd

Post by Todd »

Charles LeClerk deserved to win, but the race-rigging safety car in place of a local caution is the reason I don't feel like watching the next race. What a disgrace.
Does anyone think that there has ever been a moment of frustration with his father when Max has pointed out to Jos that he was the Pierre Gasly of 1994?

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Mr-E wrote:Lewis was class act after the race. :thumbup:
:thumbup: :nod:
Mission WinLater

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Todd wrote:Charles LeClerk deserved to win, but the race-rigging safety car in place of a local caution is the reason I don't feel like watching the next race. What a disgrace.
Race-rigging safety car?

Invade

Post by Invade »

JN23 wrote:
Todd wrote:Charles LeClerk deserved to win, but the race-rigging safety car in place of a local caution is the reason I don't feel like watching the next race. What a disgrace.
Race-rigging safety car?
Guessing he's saying that they wanted to save Leclerc a pity podium or something. :uhoh:

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Invade wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Race-rigging safety car?
Guessing he's saying that they wanted to save Leclerc a pity podium or something. :uhoh:
I guess so too, but wanted to hear his logic. Safety car seemed to justified to me

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

That had safety car written all over it, it was right at the end of the breaking zone for T1. No way they could let people out on the track with just a yellow flag there.

Option or Prime

Invade wrote:

On topic:

You are right of course, but I'm guided by last year and also this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47527705

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

The moment I saw the SC come out, I knew it'd be odds on to end the race under it, which also had the happy coincidence of keeping Leclerc on the podium. One of the Renault's was still 'live' mind, which is probably the reason they didnt even attempt to move it, thus meaning the SC would go until the end.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Option or Prime wrote:
JN23 wrote:
On todays performance I think one will and the other one won't.
Sebastian may never win another WDC, although I would not be surprised if he did. I think it will take an army to keep Lewis from winning at least one and probably two more. Given Hamilton's usual late season charge up the points, you better have a comfortable lead in the points by the summer break if you want to deprive Lewis of his next WDC.
Mission WinLater

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
That had safety car written all over it, it was right at the end of the breaking zone for T1. No way they could let people out on the track with just a yellow flag there.
Yeah and Dan's was live with electrical charge so the Marshall's weren't allowed near it initially so they knew there'd be a delay in getting to Dan's car so they just called the SC, I think it was correct tbh.

I think Dan did something wrong with his wheel too that may have made it harder to recover but I didn't quite catch all of what he had done. I think he just forgot to replace it and took it with him but unsure.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Flash on the charge thing lol. Living up to your name buddy.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Apparently Bottas had a large plastic bag stuck in his front wing.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Yep I'm not convinced about the advantage given to pole position when you're giving the inside of the corner to the driver starting directly behind you.
That's the way it is on every track. Pole gets the racing line.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
With two laps left you could easily have just double waved yellows it and left the car there.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Covalent wrote:Apparently Bottas had a large plastic bag stuck in his front wing.
There seemed to be a few plastic bags flying about, certainly at the start of the race.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

You know it's a good grand prix when your watching the replay on CH4.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

TedStriker

Post by TedStriker »

Mort Canard wrote:
Mr-E wrote:Lewis was class act after the race. :thumbup:
:thumbup: :nod:
Waved an apology to Charles as he passed him too. He knows how it feels as much as anyone to lose an important win to a mechanical failure. Cost him a WDC in 2016.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

This race leaves us with a lot to think about. Of course, for Mercedes, on the surface, things are looking great. Back to back 1-2 finishes and their drivers are 1-2 in the standings. The reality though is that it does appear that the Ferrari has the higher ceiling at the moment (albeit with some mechanical gremlins).

I'm sorry for Charles. He was really outstanding this weekend. He left Vettel in the shade both on Saturday and Sunday. As unfortunate as it is that he didn't get the win; I think he did effectively put an end to any notion that he will play the #2 role from early in the season. He has earned the right to fight and I think he will have it.

Rough race for Vettel. After the difficult 2018 season; Vettel was up there with Bottas as someone who most needed to get off to a good start this year. Two bumpy races in a row and I think he will now be desperate for a good performance in China.

For Lewis this was kind of a gift. I thought he performed well and was set to finish second by a big margin to Bottas but he'll take the win and he will feel good about the first two races overall I suspect. He's not generally in top form so early in the season but he is the best out there when it comes to consistently bringing home results.

For Bottas this was even more of a gift in a lot of ways. He was miles off the leaders but will end up in second when he should really have been 4th by a massive margin. He is still at the top of the table and his 2019 could not be getting off to a better start.

Couple of things down the field; Hulk has looked consistently better than Ric thus far (I know it's a small sample size). This could be the opportunity that Hulk has been waiting for. beating Ricciardo is the one thing that could potentially lead to a top drive. Just when I was ready to write him off.

Also it must be said that Kimi has been quite sharp so far this year. Really from 2018 we have seen Kimi perform to a pretty high standard overall.