Post by KingVoid »

Tyres are too hard.

Easy one stop

mikeyg123

Re: 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Threa

Post by mikeyg123 »

KingVoid wrote:Tyres are too hard.

Easy one stop
I think we just have to except that's the way it is now.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Bahrain is notoriously abrasive, so the one-stop may not be as easy as everyone thinks. But yeah, they'll definitely try for it.

I'm looking forward to this one, as always. In the spirit of the unpopular opinions thread, I think Bahrain is one of the three best tracks on the calendar for producing good racing.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Exediron wrote: I'm looking forward to this one, as always. In the spirit of the unpopular opinions thread, I think Bahrain is one of the three best tracks on the calendar for producing good racing.
Absolutely agree! Was listening to a WTF1 podcast about the time they used the endurance circuit here in 2010. Remember that? That was awful.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:

Easy one stop
Do we want the drivers to race hard or tip toe around?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Cheers :thumbup:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Easy one stop
Both. As it is now they all tiptoe round to make a one stop work anyway.

iano

Post by iano »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Easy one stop
Trouble is, even when not worried about tyre wear may not really be racing.

Last race we saw Bottas not have to race, but without a hole in the floor he could need to race Hamilton, although that is rarely a tight race.

Ok, no idea where Ferrari are, but Red Bull was clearly well behind Bottas pace (and assumedly Hamilton if the car is not broken). But Red Bull were too far ahead according to Magnussen, so it is not looking good for racing at the top of the grid unless by fixing what was wrong in Melbourne we have Ferrari racing Mercedes again.

Looks like a gap to Red Bull. Then a gap behind Red Bull.

So just maybe, having to conserve tyres will actually make it more interesting.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Easy one stop
I'd prefer the drivers to race hard and harder tyres are a step in the right direction there as far as I'm concerned. But as long as they have to conserve components in the way they do they'll be keeping the pushing to a minimum

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Easy one stop
Well they tip toe even more when the tyres are too soft.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Easy one stop
In all seriousness why can't we have some races with high tyre deg and others with low tyre deg? Variety is the spice of life.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

A 3rd drs zone has been added on the straight up to T4. Not a big fan since theres already a lot of action into that corner.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote: I think we just have to except that's the way it is now.
In all seriousness why can't we have some races with high tyre deg and others with low tyre deg? Variety is the spice of life.
By coincidence I've just watched the Bahrain 2007 GP and they were setting fastest laps throughout the race, I think I prefer that kind of racing to watching tyre management.

It's actually creeped into MotoGP now were on some tracks they potter around for the first two thirds of the race and then when they are confident that the tyres will last to the end of the race then start to actually race, is that racing?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:It's actually creeped into MotoGP now were on some tracks they potter around for the first two thirds of the race and then when they are confident that the tyres will last to the end of the race then start to actually race, is that racing?
If it's about who can get to the end in the shortest time, yes. Racing does not equal pushing flat out for an entire race. That's a very specific kind of race, which is a sprint.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Swiss1

Post by Swiss1 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Easy one stop
Problem is they have to conserve tyres, fuel and engines. Maybe now the tyres can last longer and hopefully not destroyed after closely following another car for a single lap.

From a cost point of view limiting the engines is understandable, but not good for the sport. Fuel as well, in the end the more fuel you use the more you must carry, should be up to the teams to decide which route to take.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Swiss1 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote: I think we just have to except that's the way it is now.
Problem is they have to conserve tyres, fuel and engines. Maybe now the tyres can last longer and hopefully not destroyed after closely following another car for a single lap.

From a cost point of view limiting the engines is understandable, but not good for the sport. Fuel as well, in the end the more fuel you use the more you must carry, should be up to the teams to decide which route to take.
It's only understandable because the current engines are so expensive. But if you could spend $30M and get three engines per year that are technical miracles, or $30M and get 30 engines per year that are not quite so advanced, then I know which one would produce the better racing and allow the drivers to push more.

M44

Post by M44 »

Big weekend for Ferrari really?

Think the top three will be extremely close this weekend.

Caserole of Nonsense

Post by Caserole of Nonsense »

tyres too hard. canada 2010 was awesome hence pirelli were tasked with making softer tyres. some of the best racing recently were high deg races as it gives a bigger differential between cars depending on how they manage tyres, new v old etc. undercut more powerful but risk running out at the end. far more interesting strategy for me.

f1 has always generally been win in the slowest time possible. if you give them hard tyres yes they can push more but in effect all they are doing is lapping a bit faster. the aero still wont let them get close without drs. but with that you get a reduction in the differential between cars hence it makes it even worse. and we get boring 1 stoppers.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:tyres too hard. canada 2010 was awesome hence pirelli were tasked with making softer tyres. some of the best racing recently were high deg races as it gives a bigger differential between cars depending on how they manage tyres, new v old etc. undercut more powerful but risk running out at the end. far more interesting strategy for me.

f1 has always generally been win in the slowest time possible. if you give them hard tyres yes they can push more but in effect all they are doing is lapping a bit faster. the aero still wont let them get close without drs. but with that you get a reduction in the differential between cars hence it makes it even worse. and we get boring 1 stoppers.
well that's one way of looking at it. Another is that the more fragile tyres we have had in recent years have meant that drivers can't afford to get caught in too much turbulent air behind another car as this accelerates the deterioration of the tyres. Less degradeable tyres mean the drivers don't have to manage them quite so much and can afford to push more when needed.

j man

Post by j man »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:A 3rd drs zone has been added on the straight up to T4. Not a big fan since theres already a lot of action into that corner.
So unnecessary. Overtaking is going to be a joke.

Swiss1

Post by Swiss1 »

Zoue wrote:
Caserole of Nonsense wrote:tyres too hard. canada 2010 was awesome hence pirelli were tasked with making softer tyres. some of the best racing recently were high deg races as it gives a bigger differential between cars depending on how they manage tyres, new v old etc. undercut more powerful but risk running out at the end. far more interesting strategy for me.

well that's one way of looking at it. Another is that the more fragile tyres we have had in recent years have meant that drivers can't afford to get caught in too much turbulent air behind another car as this accelerates the deterioration of the tyres. Less degradeable tyres mean the drivers don't have to manage them quite so much and can afford to push more when needed.
Agree, degradation is good, but then you can't follow another car without destroying your tyres. So not sure what the solution is. Prefer them being able to race push hard, but needs more than just the right tyres to do so.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:It's actually creeped into MotoGP now were on some tracks they potter around for the first two thirds of the race and then when they are confident that the tyres will last to the end of the race then start to actually race, is that racing?
If it's about who can get to the end in the shortest time, yes. Racing does not equal pushing flat out for an entire race. That's a very specific kind of race, which is a sprint.
When the leaders are lapping no quicker than the back markers then I fail to see how it's a race.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Interesting Le Clerc faster than Vettel in FP1, same lap too!

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Vettel possibly had a damaged barge board when he set that lap. Ferrari will dominat this weekend. You can get Le Clerc at 11/1 to win this race. That price won't last long.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Interesting leaderboard. I can't help but feel there's a lot more to come from more than one team. McLaren within 2-3 tenths of Verstappen's Red Bull doesn't feel representative to me!

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Zoue wrote:Interesting leaderboard. I can't help but feel there's a lot more to come from more than one team. McLaren within 2-3 tenths of Verstappen's Red Bull doesn't feel representative to me!
True blue as FP1 in Bahrain is 1 of the most unrepresentative sessions on the F1 calendar!
Feel The Fourth

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:Interesting leaderboard. I can't help but feel there's a lot more to come from more than one team. McLaren within 2-3 tenths of Verstappen's Red Bull doesn't feel representative to me!
True blue as FP1 in Bahrain is 1 of the most unrepresentative sessions on the F1 calendar!
Yes good point, I did forget that. Singapore FP1 too.

All other sessions are at night now aren't they?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Johnson wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Yes good point, I did forget that. Singapore FP1 too.

All other sessions are at night now aren't they?
Yes. Night sessions will be cooler & maybe windier as well. A big difference between FP1 & FP2 which won't prove handy to most teams.
Feel The Fourth

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Too early to draw conclusions but I think Ferrari fans can breath a sigh of relief. Australia has once again just been a bogey track for them. They are clearly much stronger here in relation to their rivals than they were in Melbourne. Not saying they will necessarily lock out the front row but, at the very least, things will be much more competitive in qualifying.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

sandman1347 wrote:Too early to draw conclusions but I think Ferrari fans can breath a sigh of relief. Australia has once again just been a bogey track for them. They are clearly much stronger here in relation to their rivals than they were in Melbourne. Not saying they will necessarily lock out the front row but, at the very least, things will be much more competitive in qualifying.
Agreed, but Hamilton 1.2 sec slower than LeClerc? Not buying it, not just yet anyway. I agree that Ferrari looks better here so far compared to Aus.

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

So far so good for Ferrari. Much better than last weekend. Gotta see what happens though. I think we still see a 1-2 for Mercedes in qualifying.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Renault in front of Red Bull in FP2, not sure what happened to Ricciardo though! Ferrari look quick but if temperatures in Melbourne did them can they last in Bahrain?

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Option or Prime wrote:Renault in front of Red Bull in FP2, not sure what happened to Ricciardo though! Ferrari look quick but if temperatures in Melbourne did them can they last in Bahrain?

Probably just a glory run by Hulk. In an attempt to turn some heads maybe.

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

Option or Prime wrote:Renault in front of Red Bull in FP2, not sure what happened to Ricciardo though! Ferrari look quick but if temperatures in Melbourne did them can they last in Bahrain?
Horner said that they missed the window with the soft tyres, plus Max had a scruffy first sector.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Feel The Fourth

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

This looks a little bit more like it. Not sure if Merc is sandbagging, but Ferrari seems to have improved indeed

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Siao7 wrote:This looks a little bit more like it. Not sure if Merc is sandbagging, but Ferrari seems to have improved indeed
My impression is that the gap is larger than it will be come qualifying. Possibly 2-3/10ths by then

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

JN23 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:This looks a little bit more like it. Not sure if Merc is sandbagging, but Ferrari seems to have improved indeed
My impression is that the gap is larger than it will be come qualifying. Possibly 2-3/10ths by then
0.6sec is not a huge gap though.

And thinking about it, Merc wasn't sandbagging in the FP sessions Australia, so I think this is probably legit (with a pinch of salt!)