Pleasant surprises from Australia

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Kev627

Pleasant surprises from Australia

Post by Kev627 »

What have we learnt after the Australian Grand Prix that wasn't expected and wasn't thought of in the off season?

Siao7

Re: Pleasant surprises from Australia

Post by Siao7 »

I'd say RB mixing it with the front two. Though I am not sure how much of that was RB being competitive and how much down to Ferrari dropping the ball.

F1 Racer

Post by F1 Racer »

Siao7 wrote:I'd say RB mixing it with the front two. Though I am not sure how much of that was RB being competitive and how much down to Ferrari dropping the ball.
Red Bull mixed it with Hamilton in a damaged car. Verstappen was nowhere near Bottas, so unless you believe that Verstappen also had mechanical issues in Australia, they did not mix it with Mercedes.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:I'd say RB mixing it with the front two. Though I am not sure how much of that was RB being competitive and how much down to Ferrari dropping the ball.
Red Bull mixed it with Hamilton in a damaged car. Verstappen was nowhere near Bottas, so unless you believe that Verstappen also had mechanical issues in Australia, they did not mix it with Mercedes.
Well, I consider Ferrari to be in the top two, so mixing it with Ferrari makes it mixing it with the top two.

People were afraid that with the Honda engine they'd be dropping back.

Que in my last sentence after that and you should get the idea behind my thinking...

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Well, I consider Ferrari to be in the top two, so mixing it with Ferrari makes it mixing it with the top two.

People were afraid that with the Honda engine they'd be dropping back.

Que in my last sentence after that and you should get the idea behind my thinking...
Yeah with improvements made to the Honda engine it's looking like being Red Bull's most competitive season in the hybrid era, Marko reckons it's only 10hp down on the Mercedes engine.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Norris was impressive, as was Russel. Red Bull Honda is already an impressive partnership. Haas seem to consistently produce the best customer car these days. Renault were no better than they were a year ago.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

That the point for fastest lap actually made an exciting impact at the end of the race rather than just being a gimmick, as the top three all went against team instructions not to attempt it - if this continues then there is the possibility of someone in a top position binning their car - or losing a place - in an attempt to get the point.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Lance Stroll showing the haters he can drive.

froze

Post by froze »

Bottas' form both in qualy and in race. If it turns out Merc will continue to dominate, then I suppose it'd be a very boring season if Bottas again couldn't challenge Hamilton, so for the show it's positive if he can continue to perform like this.
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

The cars seemed to be able to follow each other ever-so-slightly closer compared to previous races. Melbourne's notorious for not producing good racing so we might get some crackers at other circuits this season.

Seems Bottas has raised his game, but not getting my hopes up after one race.

Ferrari being so far off, but I don't expect it to last long.

Norris driving out of his skin, shame he didn't finish in the points.

Hulk outqualifying Dan - albeit by eight thousandths but still!
#KeepFightingMichael

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

Kev627 wrote:What have we learnt after the Australian Grand Prix that wasn't expected and wasn't thought of in the off season?
Ferrari not having a far better race package.
Merc having a bigger qualifying gap.
The over reaction at result - it's only the first race.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Bottas' form (hopefully not a one-off).
Fastest lap point was actually a good addition based on the first race.
Red Bull have at least similar chance for success with Honda.
Leclerc being pretty much up to speed immediately.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Just a side note here, the thread title says "Pleasant surprises from Australia".

So are people happy that Ferrari is struggling and Renault is still not improving (random examples) or shall we change the title to "What surprised you/what did you noticed in Australia"?

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Altair wrote:Lance Stroll showing the haters he can drive.
There was one correct strategy for the midfield cars and he was one of those on it. Had Perez been on it rather than Stroll then it would've been Checo who picked up the points and Lance who finished outside the top 10. Stroll kept it clean, but the idea that he's delivered a points finish through anything other than benefitting from the right strategy at a track where you can barely overtake is just wrong.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Helped by circumstances it seems, early days to be making any defined opinion.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
There was one correct strategy for the midfield cars and he was one of those on it. Had Perez been on it rather than Stroll then it would've been Checo who picked up the points and Lance who finished outside the top 10. Stroll kept it clean, but the idea that he's delivered a points finish through anything other than benefitting from the right strategy at a track where you can barely overtake is just wrong.
Results are always the most heavily weighted element of a weekend. That said; Lance was easily bested in qualifying by a mediocre qualifier and simply was fortunate in the race to be on the right strategy. I agree with you.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:Just a side note here, the thread title says "Pleasant surprises from Australia".

So are people happy that Ferrari is struggling and Renault is still not improving (random examples) or shall we change the title to "What surprised you/what did you noticed in Australia"?
Good point, a pleasant surprise for me is how well Mercedes performed after Ferrari looked so strong in winter testing, the level of surprise can be perhaps measured by how poorly I did in my competition. :(
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Midfield seems pretty close is the only pleasant surprise apart from the fight for fastest lap :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

The midfield is closer
Point for fastest lap is fun
Bottas was competitive
Cars can run a bit closer
The three young Brits out qualified their team mates

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Podium interview was back. Even if it was only the winner.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

Kev627 wrote:What have we learnt after the Australian Grand Prix that wasn't expected and wasn't thought of in the off season?
I'm surprised Haas seem to be fourth. I didn't expect thàt in consequetive years

McLaren are still mid-mid field. I expect them to be higher

Racing point have poor testing and still score points. As a side point Stroll scored over Perez! Nobody's made anything out of thàt

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

jiminwatford wrote:
I'm surprised Haas seem to be fourth. I didn't expect thàt in consequetive years

Racing point have poor testing and still score points. As a side point Stroll scored over Perez! Nobody's made anything out of thàt
You've not read the thread then.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

pokerman wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

You've not read the thread then.[/quote]

Erm,

What?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

jiminwatford wrote:
pokerman wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Kev627 wrote: I'm surprised Haas seem to be fourth. I didn't expect thàt in consequetive years

Erm,

What?
Stroll has already been praised.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TedStriker

Post by TedStriker »

What I took from it was that if we have a rejuvenated Bottas with no team orders and Ferrari are already blocking LeClerc from finishing ahead of Vettel then Mercedes will very soon need to enforce their number one selection or they'll end up with Vettel beating two faster car/driver packages to the WDC due to him not sharing the points with a team mate.

No more Mr Nice Guy, Toto - You can't rely on Vettel throwing it away again.

What a shame for LeClerc, only way I can see him getting a race win now is if Vettel has already won the WDC.

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

TedStriker wrote:What a shame for LeClerc, only way I can see him getting a race win now is if Vettel has already won the WDC.
But isn't this why he was employed to drive alongside Vettel rather than a more experienced driver?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Kev627 wrote:
TedStriker wrote:What a shame for LeClerc, only way I can see him getting a race win now is if Vettel has already won the WDC.
But isn't this why he was employed to drive alongside Vettel rather than a more experienced driver?
Leclerc having to finish 5th instead of 4th isn't exactly destroying his rights to be the WDC this season, unlike Vettel he was unable to take any kind of fight to Mercedes or Red Bull, he needs to show more before I start to believe he's actually being disadvantaged.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

TedStriker wrote:What I took from it was that if we have a rejuvenated Bottas with no team orders and Ferrari are already blocking LeClerc from finishing ahead of Vettel then Mercedes will very soon need to enforce their number one selection or they'll end up with Vettel beating two faster car/driver packages to the WDC due to him not sharing the points with a team mate.

No more Mr Nice Guy, Toto - You can't rely on Vettel throwing it away again.

What a shame for LeClerc, only way I can see him getting a race win now is if Vettel has already won the WDC.
I don't think they are blocking him from finishing ahead of Vettel, not just on this evidence. From Ferrari's perspective, there was little to gain from having the two cars fight each other, as there was little to no chance of Leclerc catching Max/Lewis even if he had got past Vettel so they were probably just looking to take the points. Leclerc didn't kick up a fuss AFAIAA so don't see the issue. Mercedes did the same with their two drivers in 2013 and yet Nico still managed to win races during the season, so I think it's premature to claim Leclerc will be blocked from finishing ahead of Vettel. I think it's likely that Ferrari are thinking ahead and imagining that Vettel will be the most likely title challenger, so are probably prioritising Vettel (which is consistent with Binotto's comments), but prioritising is not the same as not allowing Leclerc any kind of chance

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
Leclerc having to finish 5th instead of 4th isn't exactly destroying his rights to be the WDC this season, unlike Vettel he was unable to take any kind of fight to Mercedes or Red Bull, he needs to show more before I start to believe he's actually being disadvantaged.
what the..? Are we agreeing on something? :o :]

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
what the..? Are we agreeing on something? :o :]
Why not I say things as I see them, I do say both positive and negatives things about teams/drivers although some may think that I just sit on one side of any particular fence? :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

pokerman wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
pokerman wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Kev627 wrote: I'm surprised Haas seem to be fourth. I didn't expect thàt in consequetive years

Erm,

What?
Stroll has already been praised.
Well why not say that

Well done to Stroll. He's getting relatively little praise in the wider media

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

jiminwatford wrote: Well why not say that

I assume because they recognise why he beat Perez.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

mikeyg123 wrote:
jiminwatford wrote: Well why not say that

I assume because they recognise why he beat Perez.
Maybe.