The most successful Finn?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
ALESI

The most successful Finn?

Post by ALESI »

At the end of the race on Channel 4 it was stated that Kimi was now the most successful Finn with 21 races to Mika's 20. But surely, one more win doesn't trump Mika's 2nd championship victory! Total ******s from the commentators as usual...

So did they forget Mika had two WDCs or are they seriously trying to make a case that wins are worth more than championships?
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

pokerman

Re: The most successful Finn?

Post by pokerman »

ALESI wrote:At the end of the race on Channel 4 it was stated that Kimi was now the most successful Finn with 21 races to Mika's 20. But surely, one more win doesn't trump Mika's 2nd championship victory! Total ******s from the commentators as usual...

So did they forget Mika had two WDCs or are they seriously trying to make a case that wins are worth more than championships?
Agree, Titles>Wins>Poles
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

I thought they said most successful in terms of wins with 21 to Mika's 20.

Either way, no reason to get upset!

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Michael Schumacher said that Mika Hakkinen was the fiercest competitor of his entire career. I doubt that Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, or Fernando Alonso would say the same of Kimi.

Not a decisive criteria but it kind of puts it in perspective for me.
Mission WinLater

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

But he is the most successful Finn in terms of wins. I don't think that's a disingenuous claim to make.

I agree with Pokerman that "Titles>Wins>Poles" in the grand scheme of things.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

They were referring to wins; and Coultard didn't forget, he spoke about the WDCs. He was his teammate at the time!

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

I'd generally go WDC as top category and then race wins and then some order of podiums and poles but the first two are the big ones. If Kimi had 50 wins, I could see an argument for 1WDC and 50 wins being more successful than 2WDC and 20 wins so it's not definitive, but as a general rule it works for me.

Either way, doubt anything was meant by it other than a talking point that us pedants have latched onto.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Mika hands down, but Nico got involved in the discussion on social media, expressing how he has the most wins at 23.

Caserole of Nonsense

Post by Caserole of Nonsense »

i was a mika fan after hill (anyone who could beat schuey really) and then naturally moved on to kimi. mika was brilliant on his day and should definately be classed as the most successful. when kimi came along, and just going by my gut feeling at the time, i thought kimi was faster compared to dc then mika had been. (stats might well say otherwise). i think 2003-6 kimi would have actually beaten mika 98-99. big call and if i can be bothered ill see if the stats back that up in any way.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

It all depends on how one defines success. In Kimi's case, his success appears to be something of an enigma.
Covalent wrote:Mika hands down, but Nico got involved in the discussion on social media, expressing how he has the most wins at 23.
But Nico is not a Finn! :D

Why exactly, I don't know, but in my case the succession of Finns almost automatically meant I liked them; possibly because of Keke.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Mika competed in 165 races. Kimi will end his career with more than double of that, and is unlikely to add to his win tally. I like Kimi, but he's not in the same league as Mika was.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Covalent wrote:Mika hands down, but Nico got involved in the discussion on social media, expressing how he has the most wins at 23.
I thought he considered himself German

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

sandman1347 wrote:
I thought he considered himself German
He raced under a German racing license, but I assume like most people with shared heritage that he considers himself both.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I guess he was joking?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

He does have a Finnish nationality as well but does consider himself foremost a German so I assume it was a bit tongue in cheek.

P.S

Post by P.S »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Mika competed in 165 races. Kimi will end his career with more than double of that, and is unlikely to add to his win tally. I like Kimi, but he's not in the same league as Mika was.
Kimi has never had as dominant car as Mika had 1998. Him and Coulthard lapped every car in Melbourne...

And 1999 championship was pretty much handed to Mika after Schumacher accident.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

No, I think it is fair to say he is most successful since he has better numbers. Also Kimi missed title by 2pts in 2003. 2005 as well he has unlucky. He finished 3rd couple of times and I remember during the time when fastest lap had some significance he had I think 3rd highest percentage. 10 fastest lap in a season I think is the record which MS and Kimi achieved in 2004, 2005 resp. 2005 Michelin did not compete in US GP so I am sure he would have won and got fastest lap there as well
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Let's also not forget that Kimi took 130 more races to get one extra win. It's not as if Kimi spent the first ten years of his career driving for Minardi either.

Mika won 12% of his F1 races, Kimi has won 7%.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Half-Finn, so half the wins???

Nationality is declared as German, so I am not sure if he would qualify for this. Most likely tongue in cheek!

P.S

Post by P.S »

ALESI wrote:Let's also not forget that Kimi took 130 more races to get one extra win. It's not as if Kimi spent the first ten years of his career driving for Minardi either.

Mika won 12% of his F1 races, Kimi has won 7%.
Lotus wasn't winning car after Pirelli changed tire compound.

Kimi was around during RBR and Mercedes era, when winning without luck was quite impossible. One can also arque if he was given equal treatment during his second Ferrari stint.

Imo Kimi is mentally stronger and has more raw talent.

It has nothing to do racing skills, but Häkkinens corporate mannequin attitude is big turnoff for me. Even nowadays he sings Mercedes songs in every interview.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hakkinen had a vast amount of raw speed. That is the one area Kimi definitely doesn't beat him on in my opinion.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:No, I think it is fair to say he is most successful since he has better numbers. Also Kimi missed title by 2pts in 2003. 2005 as well he has unlucky. He finished 3rd couple of times and I remember during the time when fastest lap had some significance he had I think 3rd highest percentage. 10 fastest lap in a season I think is the record which MS and Kimi achieved in 2004, 2005 resp. 2005 Michelin did not compete in US GP so I am sure he would have won and got fastest lap there as well
Didn't Kimi equal that record in 2008? I believe he is still one of the fastest drivers in the pack, and I got nervous when he again referred to his tyres switching later than with most other top drivers. And then he goes and wins at COTA. :D
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

For me, it simply has to be Huckleberry.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

ALESI wrote:At the end of the race on Channel 4 it was stated that Kimi was now the most successful Finn with 21 races to Mika's 20. But surely, one more win doesn't trump Mika's 2nd championship victory! Total ******s from the commentators as usual...

Yeah that annoyed me too but I agree 2 WDC is more successful
Pathfinder

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Yeah, it's a strange thing to say. Kimi does have the most wins now, and a longer career, but I would say that Mika's two titles makes him the more successful. It's true that with a few differences Kimi could easily have had more than one, but he doesn't, so that's purely speculative and presumably does not enter into a discussion of who has more success (who could have had more success being always a very different question). I wouldn't count Nico Rosberg since he didn't race under a Finnish license, even if he could have done so.
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

You could also argue that if Hamilton and Alonso hadn't been so focused on each other in 2007 Kimi might not have even have one.

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

True. Either argument could be made. But these are all hypotheticals: the facts are that while Kimi has one more win, Mika has one more championship, and the championship should count for a deal more in terms of being successful. If it were a large number of wins more, I could see the argument - but not one.
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

Beleriand_K

Post by Beleriand_K »

Fiki wrote:It all depends on how one defines success.
True. That's what keeps discussions going on this forum ;)

By my calculations based on finishing positions and number of races the score is surprisingly even between the three finns at the top of The Finnish Top 8:

Kimi Räikkönen - 1136
Nico Rosberg - 1127
Mika Häkkinen - 1118

Valtteri Bottas - 718
Keke Rosberg - 491
Heikki Kovalainen - 150
Mika Salo - 69
JJ Lehto - 31