Driver(s) of the Day - 2018 Singapore Grand Prix

Post by UnlikeUday »

For me,

Verstappen & Alonso
Feel The Fourth

Fiki

Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2018 Singapore Grand Prix

Post by Fiki »

Stoffel, Max and Fernando. Impressed by all three.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Sirotken & Perez for me.

At least they did something to make this bore fest worth hanging around for.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Sirotkin and Verstappen.
The end is near

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Hamilton, Verstappen, Alonso, also Leclerc and Sainz

Idiot of the race: Perez

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Alonso for me.

j man

Post by j man »

A pretty unremarkable race. I highly doubt that the McLaren is truly the best of the rest at the moment so I'll pick Alonso for showing the pace when it mattered to make his way up to 7th place.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Hamilton, Verstappen and Sirotkin.

Perez is lucky to be in the next race after today, idiot of the day for sure.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

shay550

Post by shay550 »

Hamilton driver of the weekend.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Hamilton, Alonso, Verstappen and Leclerc.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

j man wrote:A pretty unremarkable race. I highly doubt that the McLaren is truly the best of the rest at the moment so I'll pick Alonso for showing the pace when it mattered to make his way up to 7th place.
Checo in the 1st stint (when behind Ricciardo) was lapping the fastest after the top 6. Seems the upgrades were really working but they didn't last to show their magic this race.
Feel The Fourth

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Easy one, Lewis,Max and Alonso.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Hamilton and Alonso were the only two I felt were really outstanding on race day. Max would make the pretty easy third choice after them, although his really impressive effort was on Saturday - on Sunday he didn't seem to have an answer for Lewis.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mmi16

Post by mmi16 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
j man wrote:A pretty unremarkable race. I highly doubt that the McLaren is truly the best of the rest at the moment so I'll pick Alonso for showing the pace when it mattered to make his way up to 7th place.
Checo in the 1st stint (when behind Ricciardo) was lapping the fastest after the top 6. Seems the upgrades were really working but they didn't last to show their magic this race.
Checo single handedly destroyed FI chances of a good result. If he didn't see Ocon with a wheel ahead of him he needs to be removed from F1 for needing a seeing eye dog.

Then he wouldn't get close enough to Sirotkin to make the blue flag rule operative and blamed it on Sirotkin and then later on drove into Sirotkin on purpose.

Checo's lack of control should have him on the outside of F1 looking in.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mmi16 wrote:Then he wouldn't get close enough to Sirotkin to make the blue flag rule operative and blamed it on Sirotkin and then later on drove into Sirotkin on purpose.
The rest I more or less agree with, but this is a mix-up of events. Bottas was the one who couldn't get close enough to a driver in front (Hulk) to make the rule operative. Checo was complaining about Sirotkin allegedly weaving and blocking him while fighting for position, nothing to do with blue flags.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Like most others my pics were Hamilton, Verstappen, & Alonso.
Mission WinLater

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

4 votes for Vettel? I know he did well to make the tyres last but DotD?

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Zoue wrote:4 votes for Vettel? I know he did well to make the tyres last but DotD?
He had an excellent start and got past Verstappen. Did about all he could to attempt getting past him again when he came out of the pits. Ferrari did the wrong strategy with him. If they did the same strategy as Verstappen, he will have likely stuck right behind him. I wouldn't be against several votes for Vettel.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

One thing I don't understand is the votes for Serotkin. I bet it is just because he was on the screen for about 20 - 25% of the race. He may have been unlucky at the start, but there isn't really anything he did that was better than Stroll. That pit stop he had at first was a free one. and he could catch up again. From then on, both him and Stroll just had 1 more if I'm correct. Stroll finished 15th, Serotkin had a messy moment with hartley and finished last. And only about a minute and 50 seconds behind stroll??!! Were the graphics going crazy or something. I think he could well have had a problem after he pitted as he lost about 30 seconds at this stage. But still, he didn't do that much that was impressive. He kept perez behind on a track that is really hard to overtake.

His strategy was not ideal. Probably about the worst out there. But He still didn't look as good as Stroll who seems to have been forgotten about probably because he was never on screen.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

mmi16 wrote: Then he wouldn't get close enough to Sirotkin to make the blue flag rule operative and blamed it on Sirotkin and then later on drove into Sirotkin on purpose.
Just to clarify, Perez and Sirotkin were racing for position so no need for any blue flags.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Zoue wrote:4 votes for Vettel? I know he did well to make the tyres last but DotD?
He had an excellent start and got past Verstappen. Did about all he could to attempt getting past him again when he came out of the pits. Ferrari did the wrong strategy with him. If they did the same strategy as Verstappen, he will have likely stuck right behind him. I wouldn't be against several votes for Vettel.
The race is more than a start, though. He lost a place while pitting as he wasn't going fast enough and the remainder of the race he did nothing noteworthy and just conserved his tyres. I'm struggling to think what he did that was noticeably better than anyone else

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

I voted perez for the lolz!
Pathfinder

typaH4okc

Post by typaH4okc »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:One thing I don't understand is the votes for Serotkin. I bet it is just because he was on the screen for about 20 - 25% of the race. He may have been unlucky at the start, but there isn't really anything he did that was better than Stroll. That pit stop he had at first was a free one. and he could catch up again. From then on, both him and Stroll just had 1 more if I'm correct. Stroll finished 15th, Serotkin had a messy moment with hartley and finished last. And only about a minute and 50 seconds behind stroll??!! Were the graphics going crazy or something. I think he could well have had a problem after he pitted as he lost about 30 seconds at this stage. But still, he didn't do that much that was impressive. He kept perez behind on a track that is really hard to overtake.

His strategy was not ideal. Probably about the worst out there. But He still didn't look as good as Stroll who seems to have been forgotten about probably because he was never on screen.
I don't know if I'd give Sirotkin driver of the day, but I can see why people sympathize with him. He showed great fighting spirit and great defending and countering. Plus he's been the victim of misfortune and some boneheaded driving by Perez so I don't think his gap to Stroll is relevant at the end. In fact he was the main reason why Stroll was able to beat Perez and Grosjean to the finish line.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

That's not such a daft choice as it may seem at first sight. The race was run at night...
f1madman wrote:I voted perez for the lolz!
It worked! :lol:
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

That's not such a daft choice as it may seem at first sight. The race was run at night...
f1madman wrote:I voted perez for the lolz!
It worked! :lol: