2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Locked
FormulaFun
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by FormulaFun »

Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Toby. wrote:Lewis Hamilton wins the race.
> First: thanks Ferrari
> Second: thanks team
Well between the lot of them ferrari did their best to lose the race. Vettel bottled it at the start and then Ferrari pitted Kimi too soon for the 2nd stint because they hadn't done their research during practice on the performance/durability the soft tyre had to offer because they have this stupid thing about bringing only 1 set of harder tyres.
They have the best car yet they can't get the results.
I think they possibly got sold the dummy by Mercedes when their pit crew came out but neither Merc driver came in. That coincided exactly with Kimi making his stop and I can't help but feel they're connected. I'm just surprised not more was made of it at the time as I thought it was illegal to do that. But I imagine they feared the undercut as Hamilton looked quicker than Kimi up to that point. So yes, I'd say they brought Kimi in too soon but OTOH they were almost forced into it
Its only really a dummy if they genuinely never intended on pitting Lewis. If the radio call is 'do whatever Kimi doesn't' then there is enough ambiguity there to skirt that rule I reckon. It's never been particularly well policed either.
I didn't think there was any ambiguity and I wasn't aware intent came into it. I just thought you're not allowed to send your crew out unless it is to pit a driver, precisely so as not to influence other teams to pit

edit: and they did it twice!
Of course intent needs to be taken into account, otherwise you are saying a driver should be locked into a pitstop as soon as the crew are out regardless of changing situations on track which is a bit silly, strategies change from second to second all the time.

Point is if Ferrari did their research on the soft tyre which, to be honest, is pretty obvious you should be doing in practice like everyone else, they would know the soft tyre would not last the necessary amount of laps and therefore would be able to know what they were actually doing when they pitted Kimi rather than just having to react to merc

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Zoue »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote: I'm not being obtuse about it. We're having a conversation about the legality of such a move and it's you that's decided to get personal about it, not me. And I was pointing out to the previous poster a possible reason why Kimi was pitted so early.

It's possible I'm wrong on the rule itself, of course. If so I'll happily concede the point. But if it is indeed against the rules then I think the question is legitimate.
Personal? Not at all. It's just an odd hill to choose to die on when it had such little bearing in the grand scheme of the race.
I don't know how you can say that, really. If Kimi did indeed pit because of the dummy, then it was actually a pivotal move in the race and contributed quite significantly to the win. Kimi had no tyres left at the end, so the longer he stayed out on the first stint the less likely that would have been the case
Kimi was coming in either way, he was in front. Hamilton had the choice to copy or not, he was told to do the opposite, but the Mercedes boys had to be ready in case Ferrari were doing the dummy.
How do we know that Kimi was coming in either way? The Merc boys came out into the pit lane before the Ferrari mechanics did.

Am I completely wrong about this dummy thing? I thought the rules stated that it wasn't allowed, so Merc shouldn't have been afraid of Ferrari doing something that was against the rules, should they?. Need to dig this rule out if I can

User avatar
Lt. Drebin
Posts: 4796
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Ocon wrote:Kimi and Lewis showing Vettel how you race.
They were schooled by him last week in Belgium. :)
The end is near

User avatar
purchville
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:33 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by purchville »

BlackMan wrote:I can hear the boos on the podium already
That's one side of an Italian F1 crowd. For the other side just tune into the 1989 race when race leader Senna has an engine blow and spins on his own oil at Parabolica. They are all class.
Last edited by purchville on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Zoue »

FormulaFun wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Well between the lot of them ferrari did their best to lose the race. Vettel bottled it at the start and then Ferrari pitted Kimi too soon for the 2nd stint because they hadn't done their research during practice on the performance/durability the soft tyre had to offer because they have this stupid thing about bringing only 1 set of harder tyres.
They have the best car yet they can't get the results.
I think they possibly got sold the dummy by Mercedes when their pit crew came out but neither Merc driver came in. That coincided exactly with Kimi making his stop and I can't help but feel they're connected. I'm just surprised not more was made of it at the time as I thought it was illegal to do that. But I imagine they feared the undercut as Hamilton looked quicker than Kimi up to that point. So yes, I'd say they brought Kimi in too soon but OTOH they were almost forced into it
Its only really a dummy if they genuinely never intended on pitting Lewis. If the radio call is 'do whatever Kimi doesn't' then there is enough ambiguity there to skirt that rule I reckon. It's never been particularly well policed either.
I didn't think there was any ambiguity and I wasn't aware intent came into it. I just thought you're not allowed to send your crew out unless it is to pit a driver, precisely so as not to influence other teams to pit

edit: and they did it twice!
Of course intent needs to be taken into account, otherwise you are saying a driver should be locked into a pitstop as soon as the crew are out regardless of changing situations on track which is a bit silly, strategies change from second to second all the time.

Point is if Ferrari did their research on the soft tyre which, to be honest, is pretty obvious you should be doing in practice like everyone else, they would know the soft tyre would not last the necessary amount of laps and therefore would be able to know what they were actually doing when they pitted Kimi rather than just having to react to merc
Again, I need to find this rule. If I'm wrong then fair enough, but I was under the impression that the whole point of the rule was that a team couldn't change their mind once they committed. Otherwise it would be a bit pointless having the rule in the first place

User avatar
Flash2k11
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Flash2k11 »

Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote: I'm not being obtuse about it. We're having a conversation about the legality of such a move and it's you that's decided to get personal about it, not me. And I was pointing out to the previous poster a possible reason why Kimi was pitted so early.

It's possible I'm wrong on the rule itself, of course. If so I'll happily concede the point. But if it is indeed against the rules then I think the question is legitimate.
Personal? Not at all. It's just an odd hill to choose to die on when it had such little bearing in the grand scheme of the race.
I don't know how you can say that, really. If Kimi did indeed pit because of the dummy, then it was actually a pivotal move in the race and contributed quite significantly to the win. Kimi had no tyres left at the end, so the longer he stayed out on the first stint the less likely that would have been the case
Kimi was coming in either way, he was in front. Hamilton had the choice to copy or not, he was told to do the opposite, but the Mercedes boys had to be ready in case Ferrari were doing the dummy.
How do we know that Kimi was coming in either way? The Merc boys came out into the pit lane before the Ferrari mechanics did.

Am I completely wrong about this dummy thing? I thought the rules stated that it wasn't allowed, so Merc shouldn't have been afraid of Ferrari doing something that was against the rules, should they?. Need to dig this rule out if I can
I think the rule is you aren't allowed to be wandering about the pitlane unless a car is coming in. As for Kimi coming in either way, he was the lead car, his action caused whatever reaction from Hamilton behind.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

BlackMist
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:00 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by BlackMist »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote: I'm not being obtuse about it. We're having a conversation about the legality of such a move and it's you that's decided to get personal about it, not me. And I was pointing out to the previous poster a possible reason why Kimi was pitted so early.

It's possible I'm wrong on the rule itself, of course. If so I'll happily concede the point. But if it is indeed against the rules then I think the question is legitimate.
Personal? Not at all. It's just an odd hill to choose to die on when it had such little bearing in the grand scheme of the race.
I don't know how you can say that, really. If Kimi did indeed pit because of the dummy, then it was actually a pivotal move in the race and contributed quite significantly to the win. Kimi had no tyres left at the end, so the longer he stayed out on the first stint the less likely that would have been the case
Kimi was coming in either way, he was in front. Hamilton had the choice to copy or not, he was told to do the opposite, but the Mercedes boys had to be ready in case Ferrari were doing the dummy.
How many times has Mercedes used Botas to slow down a Ferrari to favour Hamilton. Surely if Ferrari pitted first that was going to happen which it did.

The right thing to do was to let Hamilton pit and then pit immediately the next lap. Regardless, Hamilton would have beaten Kimi anyway. Kimi was never going to beat Hamilton for pace over 53 laps.

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Zoue »

purchville wrote:
BlackMan wrote:I can hear the boos on the podium already
That's one side of an Italian F1 crowd. For the other side just tune into the 1990 race when race leader Senna has an engine blow and spins on his own oil at Parabolica. They are all class.
well, speaking of class, let's talk about the Merc team radio where they said they should go in formation at the end to rub the Italians noses in it, shall we? Classy stuff

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Zoue »

On another note, it's strange that both Ferraris suffered near-identical blistering on the rear tyre with the Softs. And the Mercs, who are supposedly harder on the tyres, didn't. Complete role reversal here today and without that blistering Kimi had a chance for the win.

User avatar
purchville
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:33 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by purchville »

Zoue wrote:
purchville wrote:
BlackMan wrote:I can hear the boos on the podium already
That's one side of an Italian F1 crowd. For the other side just tune into the 1990 race when race leader Senna has an engine blow and spins on his own oil at Parabolica. They are all class.
well, speaking of class, let's talk about the Merc team radio where they said they should go in formation at the end to rub the Italians noses in it, shall we? Classy stuff
I have no idea what you are talking about, nor do I care about either Merc or Ferrari
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

User avatar
Flash2k11
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Flash2k11 »

purchville wrote:
Zoue wrote:
purchville wrote:
BlackMan wrote:I can hear the boos on the podium already
That's one side of an Italian F1 crowd. For the other side just tune into the 1990 race when race leader Senna has an engine blow and spins on his own oil at Parabolica. They are all class.
well, speaking of class, let's talk about the Merc team radio where they said they should go in formation at the end to rub the Italians noses in it, shall we? Classy stuff
I have no idea what you are talking about
Eh, Ferrari celebrated like mad at Silverstone; Revenge is a dish best served cold.

It's all pantomime stuff really.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Zoue »

purchville wrote:
Zoue wrote:
purchville wrote:
BlackMan wrote:I can hear the boos on the podium already
That's one side of an Italian F1 crowd. For the other side just tune into the 1990 race when race leader Senna has an engine blow and spins on his own oil at Parabolica. They are all class.
well, speaking of class, let's talk about the Merc team radio where they said they should go in formation at the end to rub the Italians noses in it, shall we? Classy stuff
I have no idea what you are talking about, nor do I care about either Merc or Ferrari
ah, selective class discussion then. OK

User avatar
Flash2k11
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Flash2k11 »

Zoue wrote:On another note, it's strange that both Ferraris suffered near-identical blistering on the rear tyre with the Softs. And the Mercs, who are supposedly harder on the tyres, didn't. Complete role reversal here today and without that blistering Kimi had a chance for the win.

Poor tyre choice for the weekend. Vettel only had 1 set for the whole weekend, no chance to test on it and discover any weakness.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

kleefton
Posts: 4011
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by kleefton »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Caserole of Nonsense wrote:very disappointed.
My thoughts

I think vettel would probably have won had he been in kimis shoes. he probably would have pulled a 4-5s gap in first stint so wouldnt have been at risk to merc strategy and wouldnt have pitted when kimi did.

i think hamilton probably had more pace then kimi all race which is why ferrari were so keen to keep him ahead as he had just enough pace to stay ahead all else being equal. in hindsight it was too early but cant really blame ferrari for that. the softs just didnt like the pounding off the kerbs and kimi went too hard on them early.

without bottas he would have been 5-6s ahead and its possible he could have managed the pace better and just stayed out of drs at the end, but when you have an 8 lap undercut that is wasted by being held up, we saw what happens. I dont blame merc/bottas at all. its part of the game and kimi didnt seem to have the straight line speed of the merc hence struggled to pass.
Yes, it was odd that the Ferraris looked a lot slower on the straights, contrary to all the pre-race claims. Even with DRS (and much fresher tyres) Kimi couldn't make any impact on Bottas
Looked a lot slower on the straights :? Bottas couldn't get past Verstappen all race.
It just wasn't easy to pass all around. It had nothing to do with engine power. I was watching the race from Lewis's onboard and he would lose so much time behind another car through the lesmos and parabolica, and out of the chicanes. Even in the slow corners the car in front has so much of an advantage putting the power down because even at those speeds the dirty air is still a factor. Raikonnen's tires were completely shot otherwise Lewis wasn't getting by. I'm sure Vettel would have won this race handily had he been up front. Raikonnen lacks race pace and it showed today once again.

I do agree Merc and Ferrari engines looked very close here.

User avatar
Johnson
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Johnson »

Does anybody know how Kimi took 3-4 seconds out of Hamilton and Bottas during the yellow flag period?

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8507
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

Footage which proves Vettel's fake allegation of Hamilton not giving him any room. Hamilton was far off to the right whereas Vettel instead of turning to the left, continued going straighter knowing Hamilton was there. A clash was inevitable & only he paid the price. He should know by now You don't win a race at the 1st corner or 1st lap even. He would've had more opportunities via slip stream & DRS to attack on Lewis. Only Vettel has the speed & skill to stop Hamilton from winning.
Feel The Fourth

Ocon
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Ocon »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Ocon wrote:Kimi and Lewis showing Vettel how you race.
They were schooled by him last week in Belgium. :)
I meant the wheel to wheel racing without touching, that Vettel is not capable of doing it seems.

Gumption
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Gumption »

Zoue wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote: I think they possibly got sold the dummy by Mercedes when their pit crew came out but neither Merc driver came in. That coincided exactly with Kimi making his stop and I can't help but feel they're connected. I'm just surprised not more was made of it at the time as I thought it was illegal to do that. But I imagine they feared the undercut as Hamilton looked quicker than Kimi up to that point. So yes, I'd say they brought Kimi in too soon but OTOH they were almost forced into it
Its only really a dummy if they genuinely never intended on pitting Lewis. If the radio call is 'do whatever Kimi doesn't' then there is enough ambiguity there to skirt that rule I reckon. It's never been particularly well policed either.
I didn't think there was any ambiguity and I wasn't aware intent came into it. I just thought you're not allowed to send your crew out unless it is to pit a driver, precisely so as not to influence other teams to pit

edit: and they did it twice!
Of course intent needs to be taken into account, otherwise you are saying a driver should be locked into a pitstop as soon as the crew are out regardless of changing situations on track which is a bit silly, strategies change from second to second all the time.

Point is if Ferrari did their research on the soft tyre which, to be honest, is pretty obvious you should be doing in practice like everyone else, they would know the soft tyre would not last the necessary amount of laps and therefore would be able to know what they were actually doing when they pitted Kimi rather than just having to react to merc
Again, I need to find this rule. If I'm wrong then fair enough, but I was under the impression that the whole point of the rule was that a team couldn't change their mind once they committed. Otherwise it would be a bit pointless having the rule in the first place
I know it was a rule 5 or so years ago but the last couple years the dummy pit stop has been happening a lot. I'm guessing they changed the rule but I never heard it announced.

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8507
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

Regarding the dummy pitstop - They usually come out when half the lap's been completed. It's then on the driver or race engineer to stay out. The moment he clears the pit entry, the team have to go inside the garage. They can't be out any longer or without any reason.

Credit to all teams for exploiting this loophole if You wanna call it!
Feel The Fourth

F1-Dave
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 pm
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by F1-Dave »

Well flip me, that was an exciting race. As a Mercedes fan, I'm pretty chuffed as I never saw this result happening before the race.

Great start by everybody, Vettel appeared a bit too eager to pass Raikkonen early on which was a bit pointless as I'm relatively sure a pass could have been engineered by Ferrari further into the race. I see a lot of people suggesting Vettel and Hamilton's touch was a racing incident however for me Vettel was to blame. Hamilton didn't put a wheel wrong and gave as much space as he could where as Vettel under-steered into Hamilton, probably a result of braking on the dirty side of the track.

I very much doubt Mercedes could have won today without Bottas playing the wing man role and quite frankly, he totally aced it by slowing Kimi down and keeping him behind, all on very old tyres. A tough pill to swallow I'm sure for Bottas so fair play to him today, Hamilton will owe him a beer or ten :D

From watching the race, and I have seen Fiki mention this earlier in this thread, Kimi was quite agressive on the kerbs and in a lot of replays, he would be mostly on top of the kerbs as opposed to Hamilton following behind him who wasn't as agressive with the kerbs. This no doubt hurt Kimi's rear tyres more and might explain why he dropped off towards the end. Surprisingly the Merc's looked relatively solid in the dirty air which is something that wasn't often said of the Mercs...

Lastly, not sure what to think of Verstappen, great that he wants to race but he is starting to sound petulant now. His antics easily cost him 4th place today.

shay550
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 4:05 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by shay550 »

Is it just me or does Hamilton's radio always have a lot of static compared to the other drivers?

mikeyg123
Posts: 17902
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

Gumption wrote: I know it was a rule 5 or so years ago but the last couple years the dummy pit stop has been happening a lot. I'm guessing they changed the rule but I never heard it announced.
I'm not sure it ever has been a rule. Certainly since the end of refuelling we've always had the "do the opposite to the guy in front of you" style situations. As far as I know the only rule in place is that you can't have mechanics continually waiting out in the pitlane.

Mr-E
Posts: 2567
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Mr-E »

shay550 wrote:Is it just me or does Hamilton's radio always have a lot of static compared to the other drivers?
Agree.
Image

Gumption
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Gumption »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Gumption wrote: I know it was a rule 5 or so years ago but the last couple years the dummy pit stop has been happening a lot. I'm guessing they changed the rule but I never heard it announced.
I'm not sure it ever has been a rule. Certainly since the end of refuelling we've always had the "do the opposite to the guy in front of you" style situations. As far as I know the only rule in place is that you can't have mechanics continually waiting out in the pitlane.
Quick 2 second search: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/33461454

"Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete."

JN23
Posts: 2441
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by JN23 »

Renault have protested the legality of the Haas car:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 4424118273

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8507
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

Renault has launched a protest against Grosjean's Haas' car's legality with the stewards. No reason given yet though!
Feel The Fourth

dompclarke

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by dompclarke »

For those too lazy to look it up:

28.12 Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to
work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110 if you want the full sporting regs...
Last edited by dompclarke on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8507
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

JN23 wrote:Renault have protested the legality of the Haas car:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 4424118273
I wonder if they've sniffed something illegal or they're just miffed that Haas is ahead of Renault in WCC?
Feel The Fourth

User avatar
IDrinkYourMilkshake
Posts: 1255
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Image

Vettel saying "Hamilton left me no space" :lol: Such lack of spatial awareness for a 4x WDC is astounding.

mikeyg123
Posts: 17902
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

Gumption wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Gumption wrote: I know it was a rule 5 or so years ago but the last couple years the dummy pit stop has been happening a lot. I'm guessing they changed the rule but I never heard it announced.
I'm not sure it ever has been a rule. Certainly since the end of refuelling we've always had the "do the opposite to the guy in front of you" style situations. As far as I know the only rule in place is that you can't have mechanics continually waiting out in the pitlane.
Quick 2 second search: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/33461454

"Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete."
Yep so pretty much what I thought really.

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8507
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

dompclarke wrote:For those too lazy to look it up:

28.12 Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to
work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110 if you want the full sporting regs...
If the teams do a dummy pitstop, it's surely exploiting the loophole. They can always argue that the driver was surely going to come in but he decided to continue. How can the FIA / stewards find out the intentions?
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123
Posts: 17902
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
dompclarke wrote:For those too lazy to look it up:

28.12 Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to
work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110 if you want the full sporting regs...
If the teams do a dummy pitstop, it's surely exploiting the loophole. They can always argue that the driver was surely going to come in but he decided to continue. How can the FIA / stewards find out the intentions?
Nobody has ever been penalised for it.

dompclarke

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by dompclarke »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Image

Vettel saying "Hamilton left me no space" :lol: Such lack of spatial awareness for a 4x WDC is astounding.
To be fair to him he's giving his point of view after the race of an incident from the first lap without the benefit of looking at the video replays. He did say before giving his view something along the lines of 'you have all the angles to tell'

User avatar
Flash2k11
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Flash2k11 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
dompclarke wrote:For those too lazy to look it up:

28.12 Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to
work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110 if you want the full sporting regs...
If the teams do a dummy pitstop, it's surely exploiting the loophole. They can always argue that the driver was surely going to come in but he decided to continue. How can the FIA / stewards find out the intentions?
Precisely the point I was trying to make. If you tell your driver to do the opposite of the car in front, the intent to come in is there if the car in front doesn't.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8507
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Image

Vettel saying "Hamilton left me no space" :lol: Such lack of spatial awareness for a 4x WDC is astounding.
Vettel's mistake was that he kept driving to the right. He thought Hamilton would brake or cut the chicane which neither happened. A completely ridiculous need for this when the entire race was ahead of him to overtake Hamilton again.
Feel The Fourth

User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3083
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Invade »

Kimi resisted Hamilton's pressure well but Mercedes nailed it today on strategy, tactics, and Lewis' superb raw race pace. Loved this race.

kleefton
Posts: 4011
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by kleefton »

F1-Dave wrote:Well flip me, that was an exciting race. As a Mercedes fan, I'm pretty chuffed as I never saw this result happening before the race.

Great start by everybody, Vettel appeared a bit too eager to pass Raikkonen early on which was a bit pointless as I'm relatively sure a pass could have been engineered by Ferrari further into the race. I see a lot of people suggesting Vettel and Hamilton's touch was a racing incident however for me Vettel was to blame. Hamilton didn't put a wheel wrong and gave as much space as he could where as Vettel under-steered into Hamilton, probably a result of braking on the dirty side of the track.

I very much doubt Mercedes could have won today without Bottas playing the wing man role and quite frankly, he totally aced it by slowing Kimi down and keeping him behind, all on very old tyres. A tough pill to swallow I'm sure for Bottas so fair play to him today, Hamilton will owe him a beer or ten :D

From watching the race, and I have seen Fiki mention this earlier in this thread, Kimi was quite agressive on the kerbs and in a lot of replays, he would be mostly on top of the kerbs as opposed to Hamilton following behind him who wasn't as agressive with the kerbs. This no doubt hurt Kimi's rear tyres more and might explain why he dropped off towards the end. Surprisingly the Merc's looked relatively solid in the dirty air which is something that wasn't often said of the Mercs...

Lastly, not sure what to think of Verstappen, great that he wants to race but he is starting to sound petulant now. His antics easily cost him 4th place today.
Interesting bit about the curbs. Could be true.

But if it's one area where I think Merc is definitely ahead of Ferrari it is tire wear. Last week Hamilton was catching Vettel at the end of the first stint and we have seen it in other races as well where the Ferrari's pace drops off more than the Merc. .

I was actually a little surprised that Merc did not leave Hamilton out longer last week. Leaving him out longer would have created a similar scenario to today, where he would have had fresher tires than Vettel and therefore be more able to hunt him down. Instead they went for the undercut...

dompclarke

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by dompclarke »

UnlikeUday wrote:
dompclarke wrote:For those too lazy to look it up:

28.12 Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to
work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110 if you want the full sporting regs...
If the teams do a dummy pitstop, it's surely exploiting the loophole. They can always argue that the driver was surely going to come in but he decided to continue. How can the FIA / stewards find out the intentions?
If the radio call to do the opposite to Kimi was made the FIA will have access to this, simples!

User avatar
Lt. Drebin
Posts: 4796
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Lt. Drebin »

j man wrote:The booing from the tifosi was pathetic. It defies belief that Monza is held up as having the best atmosphere of the year. Watching Hamilton try give an interview under a hail of verbal abuse is an ugly scene.
Booing has been present nearly everywhere in the F1 world, Vettel got a big share of it in the past. It's the way of communication. Bad communication, if you ask me, but, humanity is not mature. I would rather choose silence, if I can not applaud.
The end is near

JN23
Posts: 2441
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by JN23 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:Renault have protested the legality of the Haas car:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 4424118273
I wonder if they've sniffed something illegal or they're just miffed that Haas is ahead of Renault in WCC?
They probably are a bit miffed but this would be an extreme measure :lol:

According to this tweet, it is to do with the floor: https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/ ... 6014082048

Locked