UnlikeUday

2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

Wanting a Ferrari win tomorrow!!!!!!
Feel The Fourth

Black_Flag_11

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Kimi win tomorrow would be pretty special. Will be interesting to see if Ferrari use team orders given they didn't give Vettel the tow today.

j man

Post by j man »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Kimi win tomorrow would be pretty special. Will be interesting to see if Ferrari use team orders given they didn't give Vettel the tow today.
I'm no fan of team orders, but with the drivers' championship situation as it is it would be very naive for either Ferrari or Mercedes not to be using them at this stage.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

j man wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:Kimi win tomorrow would be pretty special. Will be interesting to see if Ferrari use team orders given they didn't give Vettel the tow today.
I'm no fan of team orders, but with the drivers' championship situation as it is it would be very naive for either Ferrari or Mercedes not to be using them at this stage.
Yeah logically it's a no brainer but I would love to see a Kimi win tomorrow.

Even though there didn't seem to be anything in it in one lap pace Ferrari look to have mega race pace judging from practice so there's a good chance they'll pull away if they can be 1-2 after the first corner.

Hamilton jumping Vettel off the start could be good, Kimi gets his win and if Ferrari's race pace advantage from practice translates to the race we could see a good race for P2 between the two championship protagonists.

j man

Post by j man »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
j man wrote:

Even though there didn't seem to be anything in it in one lap pace Ferrari look to have mega race pace judging from practice so there's a good chance they'll pull away if they can be 1-2 after the first corner.

Hamilton jumping Vettel off the start could be good, Kimi gets his win and if Ferrari's race pace advantage from practice translates to the race we could see a good race for P2 between the two championship protagonists.
Yes If the Ferraris are 1-2 after turn 1 then I fear we're in for a pretty dull race at the front. If Hamilton gets in front, then you never know. It is surprisingly difficult to pass at Monza because the low downforce setups make the DRS less effective.

Invade

Post by Invade »

I think Ferrari's focus needs to be to keep Hamilton in 3rd and they'll probably have the pace to do it. Forgive me for being cynical but I highly doubt Kimi will take the win tomorrow.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

In terms of mailing the race interesting, Rai, Ham, vet would be the perfect order for the first stint. Vet, Rai, Ham would be a snoozefest.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
j man wrote:

we need to see HAM jumping VET at the start, to keep the race interesting. Then VET overtaking HAM at the end to keep the WDC interesting! :lol:

greatestF1mindever

Post by greatestF1mindever »

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
j man wrote:

we need to see HAM jumping VET at the start, to keep the race interesting. Then VET overtaking HAM at the end to keep the WDC interesting! :lol:
:thumbup:

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
j man wrote:

That would be great to see. He's already done it twice this year with the same or older tires.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Just noticed the funny thing with penalties again. Ericsson unfortunately got a penalty due to to nothing of his own doing related to the problem in practice. So he qualifies 19th and gets a 10 place grid penalty. Moving him up to 18th. I understand there isn't a better way of doing these things yet, but these penalty systems can get confusing.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Sebastian: "If he is starting from pole I guess he is allowed to win,”

The rest of us: "Uh, yeah! How generous of you! Thanks for that Seb!!"
Mission WinLater

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
j man wrote:

WDC will most likely change hands after Singapore, Hamilton needs to finish in front of Vettel and to make the WDC fight more interesting.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
j man wrote:

Not even this will make the race interesting, as by the first stop it will probably be just the redbull of Max that has not been lapped.

This will only increase Hamilton's lead in the WDC.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Zoue wrote:we need to see HAM jumping VET at the start, to keep the race interesting. Then VET overtaking HAM at the end to keep the WDC interesting! :lol:
Rockie wrote: Not even this will make the race interesting, as by the first stop it will probably be just the redbull of Max that has not been lapped.

No scenario involving Vettel overtaking Hamilton can result in an increase for Hamilton's WDC lead.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Rockie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
j man wrote:

Not even this will make the race interesting, as by the first stop it will probably be just the redbull of Max that has not been lapped.

I'm not sure how that follows. If Vettel overtakes Hamilton at the end, then he will score more points than Hamilton. Which in turn will only mean that Hamilton's lead will be reduced

Invade

Post by Invade »

But what if Vettel overtakes Hamilton and then crashes. I think this is a scenario where Vettel can overtake Hamilton but Hamboy's lead increases. Also, what if Vettel's overtake at the end (let's assume it's the very very end) is illegal for whatever reasons. I'm no so sure it's as clearcut as you guys are making it out to be.

This is a very serious discussion.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Invade wrote:But what if Vettel overtakes Hamilton and then crashes. I think this is a scenario where Vettel can overtake Hamilton but Hamboy's lead increases. Also, what if Vettel's overtake at the end (let's assume it's the very very end) is illegal for whatever reasons. I'm no so sure it's as clearcut as you guys are making it out to be.

That's a good point. Maybe Rockie is prescient enough to understand that any overtake by Vettel is doomed to merely play into Hamilton's #blessed hands in the end.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Exediron wrote:
Invade wrote:But what if Vettel overtakes Hamilton and then crashes. I think this is a scenario where Vettel can overtake Hamilton but Hamboy's lead increases. Also, what if Vettel's overtake at the end (let's assume it's the very very end) is illegal for whatever reasons. I'm no so sure it's as clearcut as you guys are making it out to be.

That's a good point. Maybe Rockie is prescient enough to understand that any overtake by Vettel is doomed to merely play into Hamilton's #blessed hands in the end.
Considering Vettel has gone past him twice this season and nothing happened.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Zoue wrote: I'm not sure how that follows. If Vettel overtakes Hamilton at the end, then he will score more points than Hamilton. Which in turn will only mean that Hamilton's lead will be reduced
My bad don't know how I muddled the reply up.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

What's Hamilton's race pace been like this weekend? He was closer in qualifying than I expected on Friday. If he takes the lead has he got a good chance of winning?

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

What if Vettel botches his overtake on Kimi and takes them both out? Lewis then grins and waves as he goes by just like Singapore last year.

This is a very serious giggle!!! :nod:
Mission WinLater

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Race sets available with each driver:

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmBwEWgXcAA1GFg.jpg:large
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

The revised grid:

1 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:19.119
2 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 0.161s
3 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 0.175s
4 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 0.537s
5 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1.496s
6 Romain Grosjean Haas 1.817s
7 Carlos Sainz Renault 1.922s
8 Esteban Ocon Force India 1.98s
9 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 2.231s
10 Lance Stroll Williams 2.508s
11 Kevin Magnussen Haas 1:21.669
12 Sergey Sirotkin Williams 1:21.732
13 Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:22.568
14 Sergio Perez Force India 1:21.888
15 Charles Leclerc Sauber 1:21.889
16 Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso 1:21.934
17 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1:22.085
18 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:22.048 *
19 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull no time *
20 Nico Hulkenberg Renault no time **

* engine penalty
* engine penalty and 10-place penalty for Spa crash
Feel The Fourth

Invade

Post by Invade »

Ferrari should probably find ways to encourage a Vettel victory, and Mercedes need to find a way to at least secure 2nd for Hamilton. Ferrari showed far superior long run pace in FP, but Lewis stated that the job the guys have done since has been effective, in that they are now happy with where they are. Was hoping the last race would be a classic but the Ferrari was too fast, and hopefully that's not the case this time around.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Invade wrote:Ferrari should probably find ways to encourage a Vettel victory
That's easy enough in theory. It involves a piece of paper, a signature, and Kimi. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening, the atmosphere surrounding Kimi's pole position within the team couln't have been frostier. Kimi is the Iceman, but Ferrari are overdoing it. What a way to treat your last world champion...
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Fiki wrote:
Invade wrote:Ferrari should probably find ways to encourage a Vettel victory
That's easy enough in theory. It involves a piece of paper, a signature, and Kimi. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening, the atmosphere surrounding Kimi's pole position within the team couln't have been frostier. Kimi is the Iceman, but Ferrari are overdoing it. What a way to treat your last world champion...
I thought it was the biggest celebration for a Ferrari pole position I'd seen in quite a while. Certainly more to do with it being a Monza pole than anything to so with Kimi but I'm not sure where your getting the frosty atmosphere from? Vettel wasn't happy but everyone else in the team looked ecstatic.

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

I hoping for a Ferrari one two, Vettel, Kimi with Verstappen third with Hamilton totalling his car on the Curva Grande on lap 1 whilst fighting with Bottas for position in to the second chicane.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Kev627 wrote:I hoping for a Ferrari one two, Vettel, Kimi with Verstappen third with Hamilton totalling his car on the Curva Grande on lap 1 whilst fighting with Bottas for position in to the second chicane.
You don't ask for much then :-P

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Looking at last years start, with the width of these cars, it’s quite hard for P2 to take the lead unless he gets a better launch. The leader just needs to cover the inside. But then the run to the second chicane will be interesting. I also can’t see Kimi being too aggressive on Vettel.

I think there will be contact on lap 1 between the leaders

750k2

Post by 750k2 »

I hope your wrong - Just let red get through
Come on Max have a issue with ham and Bottas - I like seeing Merc squirm a little
after 3 years of hoggin the table.
Then I would MAYBE let Kimi win - But probably not.
Ferrari is after their first in years and even a single point could do it.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Johnson wrote:Looking at last years start, with the width of these cars, it’s quite hard for P2 to take the lead unless he gets a better launch. The leader just needs to cover the inside. But then the run to the second chicane will be interesting. I also can’t see Kimi being too aggressive on Vettel.

I fear you may be right. I think Vettel may be too eager to seize his opportunity at the start and it may end in tears, leaving Hamilton to clean up

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Zoue wrote:
Johnson wrote:Looking at last years start, with the width of these cars, it’s quite hard for P2 to take the lead unless he gets a better launch. The leader just needs to cover the inside. But then the run to the second chicane will be interesting. I also can’t see Kimi being too aggressive on Vettel.

I fear you may be right. I think Vettel may be too eager to seize his opportunity at the start and it may end in tears, leaving Hamilton to clean up
Kimi won't fight Vettel.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Kev627 wrote:I hoping for a Ferrari one two, Vettel, Kimi with Verstappen third with Hamilton totalling his car on the Curva Grande on lap 1 whilst fighting with Bottas for position in to the second chicane.
I think they'll all crash into each other & Ricciardo will win after storming through the field.

Just watch.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

^^ God I hope so :nod:

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

The Front 3 should be a little worried as they've got Verstappen & Grosjean behind them. Usually, there's some accident at the 1st chicane on the 1st lap. It gets too crampy there.
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Kimi won't fight Vettel.
I don't think he'll just wave hi past at the first corner, either.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Zoue wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Kimi won't fight Vettel.
I don't think he'll just wave hi past at the first corner, either.
I think Vettel will pass into turn 1 on lap 2 and whilst it won't be a let past as such Kimi won't fight it. If he wants a contract for next year he has to keep in Ferrari's good books.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

The race needs to start sooner than later.

I see a lot of fans of Hamilton hoping the Ferrari's crash, pretending to be Kimi supporters it's beyond parody.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Whomsoever will lead after the 1st corner could be a sitting duck. Monza is 1 of the very few races that is easy to overtake even without a DRS. Raikkonen will finish 2nd to Vettel but not because of his doing. The team will orchestrate that for Vettel. At present, it's the world title on line & Vettel needs to score maximum 25.
Feel The Fourth