2018 Belgian Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
j man

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by j man »

Zoue wrote:
AravJ wrote:
Ocon wrote:Lewis just hinted at the obvious. Vettel had a clear advantage on the straight.
It's just excuses, or are you saying force India also has clear advantage on the straights too against the updated Merc PU. Everyone is ignoring FI almost took the lead
Lewis obviously did not get a good run on the first lap.
This. Hamilton didn't hook it up right and those behind him did. In fact the Force Indias got the best run out of everybody and frankly both Vettel and Hamilton must be thanking their lucky stars that Ocon didn't keep his foot down and pulled out early, or there could have been a bit of a coming together at the corner.

Track position won this race. Once Vettel got ahead at the start it was all over bar the shouting
To me it looked like Lewis cut the corner at Raidillon on the first lap, so perhaps it was justified that he lost the position anyway.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Alonso's car wouldn't have hit Leclerc on the head without the halo but that's hardly the point. I argued against the halo and I argued against it with my eyes open well aware that their are situations it could help in. With that in mind seeing an incident where it did help (this wasn't one) is not going to change my view.
Lives of the drivers are more important than aesthetics of the cars.

To view it the other way around is...crass.
This has been argued to death but everyone has a line they draw. Limiting speeds to 75mph would also be safer for the driver but nobody would want that.

Altair

Post by Altair »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Alonso's car wouldn't have hit Leclerc on the head without the halo but that's hardly the point. I argued against the halo and I argued against it with my eyes open well aware that their are situations it could help in. With that in mind seeing an incident where it did help (this wasn't one) is not going to change my view.

This has been argued to death but everyone has a line they draw. Limiting speeds to 75mph would also be safer for the driver but nobody would want that.
And this is the best of both worlds. Doesnt effect racing, just aesthetics, and help protect drivers.

I will deal with the silly look of it if it keeps a driver like leclerc out of the hospital
Last edited by Altair on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Altair wrote:

And this is the vest of both worlds. Doesnt effect racing, just aesthetics, and help protect drivers.

I will deal with the silly look of it if it keeps a driver like leclerc out of the hospital
Exactly. Slowing the speeds a stupid amount changes the racing. Changing the look of the car a little does nothing to the racing, other than make it safer that is.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

There will probably be a picture or two of the incident giving us a better idea of the trajectory FA's car took past the cockpit, but the fact the halo and the wing mirror appear to have been damaged, it shows that part of FA's car passed lower than the halo, but still very close to the drivers helmet.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

mas

Post by mas »

Alonso dodged a flying car or two so he knows the benefit of more head protection, LeClerc could have been lost today too. The Halo works and should stay until something better is invented. It's a shame there isn't a transparent material it can be made off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45316834

TedStriker

Post by TedStriker »

j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:
AravJ wrote:
Ocon wrote:Lewis just hinted at the obvious. Vettel had a clear advantage on the straight.
It's just excuses, or are you saying force India also has clear advantage on the straights too against the updated Merc PU. Everyone is ignoring FI almost took the lead
This. Hamilton didn't hook it up right and those behind him did. In fact the Force Indias got the best run out of everybody and frankly both Vettel and Hamilton must be thanking their lucky stars that Ocon didn't keep his foot down and pulled out early, or there could have been a bit of a coming together at the corner.

Track position won this race. Once Vettel got ahead at the start it was all over bar the shouting
To me it looked like Lewis cut the corner at Raidillon on the first lap, so perhaps it was justified that he lost the position anyway.
I think they said zero tolerance of that was only for qualifying - not sure why though if it clearly gives an advantage. Would be interesting to see the footage. In the end though, any penalty would have had little or no effect - it was always going to be a Seb-Lewis 1-2.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

TedStriker wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:
AravJ wrote:

I think they said zero tolerance of that was only for qualifying - not sure why though if it clearly gives an advantage. Would be interesting to see the footage. In the end though, any penalty would have had little or no effect - it was always going to be a Seb-Lewis 1-2.
Hamilton did cut the corner atop the Raidillon. Commentators at the track were going on about it from Friday morning, but for some reason nothing was done about Hamilton. It may not have been as bad as last year, but it is high time for track limit violations to be punished severely.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

sounds like they’re relying too heavily on the sensor at Radillion and Lewis missed it by just enough to not trigger it.
{Insert clever sig line here}

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

TedStriker wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:
AravJ wrote:

I think that in the race itself you tend to get so many strikes?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
TedStriker wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:
AravJ wrote: It's just excuses, or are you saying force India also has clear advantage on the straights too against the updated Merc PU. Everyone is ignoring FI almost took the lead

Hamilton did cut the corner atop the Raidillon. Commentators at the track were going on about it from Friday morning, but for some reason nothing was done about Hamilton. It may not have been as bad as last year, but it is high time for track limit violations to be punished severely.
Really when has anyone else been punished for that in the race as a first offence?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

da4an1qu1

Post by da4an1qu1 »

I've come around to the halo, not that I was strongly against it. But I hate spin... and in my opinion, claiming the halo saved Leclerc is garbage spin.

The halo might have saved Leclerc, but we've had incidents like this before with no great injury to the driver. An F1 car is quite rigid, and there is a rigid roll hoop in an F1 car.

In any case, those that know about F1 know that the halo's intention was to stop cockpit penetration. For sure the incident at Spa *may* have resulted in a cockpit penetration, but it is *not* open/shut!

People who were so extremely for the halo (ie. discount *any* discussion of balance of risk versus purity of the spot) have been waiting and waiting for the incident to hold up its virtues, and now they are all over it like a rash. It annoys me no end. It's point scoring against any detractors, objective or extreme.

The halo will save injury in a once in a decade (or more, let's be serious about it) sort of incident but as it has negligible impact to the racing beyond the aesthetic (arguably superficial), it's totally fine.

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

mas wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:The damage on Leclerc's car. Wonder if the Halo was pivotal when compared to the 2012 crash. It surely looked real close.

Source - http://www.imgur.com
Are those cracks in the Halo or just on the paintwork ? I wonder how close to failure it was and if it failed what would it have done to LeClerc as loose pieces of metal collapsing around him
The cracks are in the carbon fibre shroud that covers the titanium structure of the halo: https://www.fia.com/news/how-make-f1-halo
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

I posted my take on it in the Halo thread and have since seen a slowed down version of the video and my speculation was right. I saw it on FB but it was a link to a Sky video.

Alonso’s car was coming almost straight down at the point the cars hit each other and Leclerc was driving straight into the edge of the Mclaren floor. It was the impact from the Halo of the Sauber that punted Alonso further forward.

If not for the Halo this would’ve been an ugly accident.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Altair wrote:

(Leclerc) posted an image of the accident on Twitter and wrote: "Never been a fan of the halo but I have to say that I was very happy to have it over my head today."

If it's good enough for Leclerc after today then it's good enough for me!!!! :thumbup:
Mission WinLater

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

FIA need to ban any aero devices on the halo.

da4an1qu1

Post by da4an1qu1 »

RaggedMan wrote:I posted my take on it in the Halo thread and have since seen a slowed down version of the video and my speculation was right. I saw it on FB but it was a link to a Sky video.

Alonso’s car was coming almost straight down at the point the cars hit each other and Leclerc was driving straight into the edge of the Mclaren floor. It was the impact from the Halo of the Sauber that punted Alonso further forward.

If not for the Halo this would’ve been an ugly accident.
It may have been... but we've had incidents like this before. Before the halo, it's not a slam dunk that the head is exposed and/or injured. The drivers head sits pretty low in the cockpit anyway. There is and has always been reinforced and raised body work either side of the head. It was always the forward intrusion that was the problem, and the trigger for expediting a halo solution.

It's like everyone's had amnesia about safety before the halo now. There were really three, maybe four specific incidents, over numerous seasons that stood out. Only one would have definitely helped, *if the incident had played out into the most catastrophic scenario*, one where it most likely would have helped, and others where it unlikely would have:

* Number one was reaction to Bianchi's death. You can read here, https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... s_bianchi/... unlikely it would have prevented anything. But a refocus on safety... halo being a checklist tick, OK, I understand that.
* Of course, Massa getting struck in the head by stray bodywork. Halo may have prevented that. I'm not sure.
* Maria de Villota had an accident in testing where the Marussia she was testing crashed into a stationary truck and she suffered serious head injury. Similar to Bianchi, the halo was unlikely to have helped.. but it may have... i think this was a low speed impact... the halo might have caused the car to come to rest in a different way that might have protected Maria's head.
* Finally I think it was the Schumacher incident where another car ended up just above head height... a close call, but still not an injury. Had the most catastrophic scenario played out, the halo would have saved him. I won't touch on the sad irony.

Let's not get crazy and revisionist here about the level of head protection before the halo. It did exist. The halo is a worthy improvement... but the halo is not like a seismic event in the history of F1 safety.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

KingVoid wrote:FIA need to ban any aero devices on the halo.
Most likely it will happen in 2019. Not to mention teams themselves have admitted, it makes very little difference and they wont be affected much by removing it.

froze

Post by froze »

I don't understand the PlanetF1 driver ratings. Kimi gets a 6, when he has pretty much performed flawlessly all weekend, with his qualifying ruined by car not being fueled and in the race he gets hit from behind. Isn't the purpose of the ratings to rate the driver performance or what is it about? If it's only the end result that is being rated then we have the official classification, so I don't see what the thing is here.
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

paul_gmb

Post by paul_gmb »

froze wrote:I don't understand the PlanetF1 driver ratings. Kimi gets a 6, when he has pretty much performed flawlessly all weekend, with his qualifying ruined by car not being fueled and in the race he gets hit from behind. Isn't the purpose of the ratings to rate the driver performance or what is it about? If it's only the end result that is being rated then we have the official classification, so I don't see what the thing is here.
I think that they are using such "tactics" to get engagement on the article.

Maybe I;m paranoid, but I know that some major websites are creating debatable articles in order to increase engagement.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

froze wrote:I don't understand the PlanetF1 driver ratings. Kimi gets a 6, when he has pretty much performed flawlessly all weekend, with his qualifying ruined by car not being fueled and in the race he gets hit from behind. Isn't the purpose of the ratings to rate the driver performance or what is it about? If it's only the end result that is being rated then we have the official classification, so I don't see what the thing is here.
6 sounds about right to me as a baseline kind of thing. We couldn't judge him in either quali or the race so I don't really see how he could've earnt more than a 6? The 6 mins of represents a standard performance.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

mikeyg123 wrote:
6 sounds about right to me as a baseline kind of thing. We couldn't judge him in either quali or the race so I don't really see how he could've earnt more than a 6? The 6 mins of represents a standard performance.
But it's a driver rating, not a luck rating. I always read the Autosport driver ratings, and they make the same mistake. Hard to understand. Call me biased, but I think it was at least an 8 he deserved. His team may not give him his due, but we should.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

j man

Post by j man »

Fiki wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
But it's a driver rating, not a luck rating. I always read the Autosport driver ratings, and they make the same mistake. Hard to understand. Call me biased, but I think it was at least an 8 he deserved. His team may not give him his due, but we should.
Give him his due for what? Regardless of the fact that is was all beyond his control, he didn't achieve anything substantial all weekend.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
TedStriker wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:This. Hamilton didn't hook it up right and those behind him did. In fact the Force Indias got the best run out of everybody and frankly both Vettel and Hamilton must be thanking their lucky stars that Ocon didn't keep his foot down and pulled out early, or there could have been a bit of a coming together at the corner.

Really when has anyone else been punished for that in the race as a first offence?
It depends on what you call a first offence. They started taking that line on Friday morning, so four sessions down, how could it be a first offence if any driver takes that line in the race?

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Here are the highlights for this race:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dlil0pbXsAE ... &name=orig

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

You guys gotta check out this footage of the crash.
Feel The Fourth

froze

Post by froze »

mikeyg123 wrote:
If he cannot be rated, then it should be marked as N/A or something similar. What kind of rating system gives you the same rating whether you spun out or whether you cannot be actually even rated. Otherwise it seems like it's just stirring the pot as was mentioned. Hopefully they combine the scores after the season, and it will be even more apparent how absurd it is, when some drivers get a weak overall rating if they've received these kinds of ratings from races where it's been in no way fault of their own.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Not seen this onboard of the start from Vettel's pov before, the Ferrari seems to just unleash hell at the top of Radillon

https://streamable.com/ojkaf

mas

Post by mas »

The Halo deflected Alonso's right front tyre away from LeClerc's head to which it was on a collision course, without it it would have gone down like Senna unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1034009643331330049

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

mas wrote:The Halo deflected Alonso's right front tyre away from LeClerc's head to which it was on a collision course, without it it would have gone down like Senna unfortunately.

That twitter link is kind of jerky when I play it back.
Here’s a link to the Reddit thread that it came from. (Hope this works right)
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... h=65d8bc3e

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
TedStriker wrote:
j man wrote: To me it looked like Lewis cut the corner at Raidillon on the first lap, so perhaps it was justified that he lost the position anyway.
It depends on what you call a first offence. They started taking that line on Friday morning, so four sessions down, how could it be a first offence if any driver takes that line in the race?
Seriously how does a driver get penalised in a race for exceeding track limits in a practice session?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

j man wrote:
Fiki wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Give him his due for what? Regardless of the fact that is was all beyond his control, he didn't achieve anything substantial all weekend.
The weekend doesn't start on Sunday at lights out. The commentators at the track pointed out throughout the weekend how well Räikkönen was doing, and they were only pointing out the obvious. The points are only handed out at the finish, but that's no reason to forget there was a lot of preparation before that. Why throw that away with the punctured tyre?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

froze wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If he cannot be rated, then it should be marked as N/A or something similar. What kind of rating system gives you the same rating whether you spun out or whether you cannot be actually even rated. Otherwise it seems like it's just stirring the pot as was mentioned. Hopefully they combine the scores after the season, and it will be even more apparent how absurd it is, when some drivers get a weak overall rating if they've received these kinds of ratings from races where it's been in no way fault of their own.
This is something I care little about but my understanding is that there is a running average so an N/A seems the best solution, just another flaw in the system.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Lojik wrote:Not seen this onboard of the start from Vettel's pov before, the Ferrari seems to just unleash hell at the top of Radillon

If I was Hamilton I would be complaining about having a F2 engine. :lol:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:Hamilton did cut the corner atop the Raidillon. Commentators at the track were going on about it from Friday morning, but for some reason nothing was done about Hamilton. It may not have been as bad as last year, but it is high time for track limit violations to be punished severely.
Seriously how does a driver get penalised in a race for exceeding track limits in a practice session?
He doesn't. He learns the track limits, so that he can honour them in the race. If he doesn't during the race, he should get penalised. The rules are clear enough.

For what it's worth, the first lap atop the Raidillon was also a talking point last year, and the year before. And rightly so. This is supposed to be difficult, blind corner the drivers should find a challenge.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
Lojik wrote:Not seen this onboard of the start from Vettel's pov before, the Ferrari seems to just unleash hell at the top of Radillon

yes, he should insist Merc give him the one Ocon had :]

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

RaggedMan wrote:
mas wrote:The Halo deflected Alonso's right front tyre away from LeClerc's head to which it was on a collision course, without it it would have gone down like Senna unfortunately.

That twitter link is kind of jerky when I play it back.
Here’s a link to the Reddit thread that it came from. (Hope this works right)
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... h=65d8bc3e
That looks like Alonso's front wheel was on a collision course with Leclerc's head.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

froze

Post by froze »

pokerman wrote:
froze wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
This is something I care little about but my understanding is that there is a running average so an N/A seems the best solution, just another flaw in the system.
Another trend I've noticed is that the ratings seem to steadily drop the further down a driver finishes, regardless if he's driving a backmarker car or not. Also Alonso and Leclerc both got 5 from this race, so to me it doesn't really even seem like a driver rating even though that's what it says. :lol:

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

pokerman wrote:

I see Ferrari having a good advantage at Monza & Singapore as well.
Feel The Fourth

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:Hamilton did cut the corner atop the Raidillon. Commentators at the track were going on about it from Friday morning, but for some reason nothing was done about Hamilton. It may not have been as bad as last year, but it is high time for track limit violations to be punished severely.
He doesn't. He learns the track limits, so that he can honour them in the race. If he doesn't during the race, he should get penalised. The rules are clear enough.

For what it's worth, the first lap atop the Raidillon was also a talking point last year, and the year before. And rightly so. This is supposed to be difficult, blind corner the drivers should find a challenge.
I've never seen a driver getting penalised as a first offence and rectro penalising for offences in practice sessions sounds like a nonsense to me, also Hamilton gained absolutely nothing from this Vettel passed him like he was stood still, this is like you are wanting to make a mountain out of a mole hill?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition