Bacus

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Bacus »

Great job Max!! :thumbup:
Perfect drive.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Not surprised. Ferrari are stupid.
At least Merc can't say 'we didn't do that last year...'
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Well done Max. Kimi threw that one away with some terrible driving at the beginning and left it too late to chase at the end. Missed opportunity for Ferrari there

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

How did Leclerc get ahead of Ericsson?!

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

What an exciting race throughout the way!
Feel The Fourth

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Fair play to Ferrari for not swapping at the end. Rai drove well, so did Vettel and of course Max. Alonso bringing that turd of a car in 8th place. It was an entertaining race but it sucked if you are a fan of Hamilton. Bad weekend all around.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Ferrari would be stupid not to swap.
I thought the same, I'm surprised now.

Prema

Post by Prema »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Not surprised. Ferrari are stupid.
So much disappointed not to see the TO? Got no use of all the ammo already prepared?

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

Prema wrote:So no TO Ferrari... does this put the issue at rest once for ever?
That should have been put to rest in China last year when Ferrari didn't order Kimi to move over for a much faster Vettel.

PRFAN

Post by PRFAN »

Some of you sit in front of your tv to see the races for the wrong reasons.
Last edited by PRFAN on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Big swing in the championship. Merc caught flat-footed again with the safety car and would have cost Hamilton the win but the mechanical issues seem to be to a level where they were never going to make it. Lots of engine failures for this new unit...

For Ferrari, this was a potential win but I think they'll be thrilled with the outcome considering where things stood after qualifying. This has definitely given them a massive boost in the championship.

Hats off to Max though. Truly a stunning drive. He's been perfect these last few races and a win is appropriate. I think that he is driving the best he ever has since Barcelona. Top job.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Sorry to defend Ericsson yet again, but points are really importent to Sauber. Ericsson clearly was quicker that Leclerc because of fresher tyres. There were at leased 4 laps Ericsson was well under a second behind Leclerc. In this time, Ericsson could have got Alonso and Got Sauber an extra 2 points. Certainly think the team could have done better here given how little points they usually get.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Who would have though that Ferrari after all that happened this and last weekend would be leading Championship. Little slice of luck going their way finally after lot of things going against them.
Even though they should have swapped in the end, its fair game by Ferrari. I dont think Vettel would complain about this. (I just hope this does not come to haunt them come last race)

Great drive by Max as well. Kept it clean.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

What a race?

Congrats to the bulls and well done Ferrari for now the detractors have to unload their armour till another day.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

I knew it was a bad idea to watch the F1 expecting something exciting after watching that amazing MotoGP race half an hour before.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Inappropriate post removed.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Pretty decent race in the end. Had me on the edge of my seat in the last third. Enjoyed it. Do think Ferrari left it too late to turn the wick up but some pretty strong driving. Weird how Kimi was so poor in the beginning and so strong later in the race. First time I remember Vettel didn't have him beat on pace

Prema

Post by Prema »

Nice for the crowds at a home race to get to hear the national anthem.

j man

Post by j man »

Much better race than I was expecting before the start! Very worrying for Mercedes if their failures are related to the engine upgrade. Also concerning for them how Hamilton's tyres blistered so much in the heat; it's pretty hot in the UK at the moment so this might spell further trouble for Silverstone.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Exciting race but disaster for Mercedes. Kimi was unlucky. If he was not hit of MV in the first lap :x He would have won

Still great comeback in the end and new lap record by him in the last lap. The tyres problem made it a great race. Haas did great job too and well deserved
Last edited by Mercedes-Benz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

PRFAN

Post by PRFAN »

That was a good race from the start.

Some of you bashing drivers or teams should reevaluate.

Great win for Max, the old guy still has the speed, Vettel drove a good race. Shame fornthe Mercs but it happens.

Good Ferrari did not switched the drivers, that was well done.

gregs51

Post by gregs51 »

sandman1347 wrote:Big swing in the championship. Merc caught flat-footed again with the safety car and would have cost Hamilton the win but the mechanical issues seem to be to a level where they were never going to make it. Lots of engine failures for this new unit...

For Ferrari, this was a potential win but I think they'll be thrilled with the outcome considering where things stood after qualifying. This has definitely given them a massive boost in the championship.

Hats off to Max though. Truly a stunning drive. He's been perfect these last few races and a win is appropriate. I think that he is driving the best he ever has since Barcelona. Top job.
Failure was probably caused by over stressing the engine trying to regain places, so the strategy error might well be to blame. Another poor strategy call from Mercedes. I think that’s 4 for the season now.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

j man wrote:Much better race than I was expecting before the start! Very worrying for Mercedes if their failures are related to the engine upgrade. Also concerning for them how Hamilton's tyres blistered so much in the heat; it's pretty hot in the UK at the moment so this might spell further trouble for Silverstone.
On C4 they were saying tyres are made for circuits keeping their average temperature in mind. Wasn't today much hotter?
Feel The Fourth

Prema

Post by Prema »

This was a unique opportunity for Kimi to win a race since... well, a long time. Two Mercedes DNF, one RBT DNF, Vettel 3 grid places penalty.. Ah, Max.

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

Alonso when he was 19th: "I will not do 71 laps here." :)
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

I'm interested to know what Hamilton wanted to tell his team but not on radio. Did he know there was an issue from the beginning.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

This has to be 1 of the best races of the season. Start to end there were overtakes, blistering tyres, additional pit stops, failure of Mercedes & loads of suspense.
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

UnlikeUday wrote:
j man wrote:Much better race than I was expecting before the start! Very worrying for Mercedes if their failures are related to the engine upgrade. Also concerning for them how Hamilton's tyres blistered so much in the heat; it's pretty hot in the UK at the moment so this might spell further trouble for Silverstone.
On C4 they were saying tyres are made for circuits keeping their average temperature in mind. Wasn't today much hotter?
and at Silverstone they go back to the tyres that suit the Mercs more, so I don't think we'll see a repeat

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

ugh, Bottas 6th in the championship must seriously hurt him. Despite Verstappen having good recent races, there is no way Verstappen or Raikonnen deserve to be ahead of Bottas. Probably not Ricciardo either if I'm honest.

Unlucky for both Mercedes drivers, but Bottas's luck is just getting unbelievable. None of 3 main things that have lost Bottas a load of points have been his fault at all. Hopefully won't change Mercedes's views on Bottas.

j man

Post by j man »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Yes I think the temperatures caught them out. Still if they are using the softs again next week then they may have the same problem. Silverstone does have very few slow corners which should stress the rear tyres much less so they may be OK though.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

wolfticket wrote:Alonso when he was 19th: "I will not do 71 laps here." :)
And he was right. He did 70 :lol:

j man

Post by j man »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:ugh, Bottas 6th in the championship must seriously hurt him. Despite Verstappen having good recent races, there is no way Verstappen or Raikonnen deserve to be ahead of Bottas. Probably not Ricciardo either if I'm honest.

Unlucky for both Mercedes drivers, but Bottas's luck is just getting unbelievable. None of 3 main things that have lost Bottas a load of points have been his fault at all. Hopefully won't change Mercedes's views on Bottas.
Yes he's been desperately unfortunate. Overall I don't think Hamilton has driven any better than him this year.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Great job by Max on a clean drive to the lead and keeping it for the win; by Kimi on a brilliant drive to hold on to second, by Seb for great passing throughout and that move on Hamilton for the go ahead move. Pity for Dan on his birthday and the Mercs both out, but good driving while they were on track. Race was Brilliant fun.

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

I thought Vettel has number 1 status written into his Ferrari contract? 8)

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Just seen a replay and what I didn't realise was that Max bumped Kimi which helped him make his overtake. Naughty. I'm surprised the stewards didn't do anything

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

lucifers wrote:I'm interested to know what Hamilton wanted to tell his team but not on radio. Did he know there was an issue from the beginning.

Guessing he wanted to go on an expletive laden rant

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Zoue wrote:Just seen a replay and what I didn't realise was that Max bumped Kimi which helped him make his overtake. Naughty. I'm surprised the stewards didn't do anything
The stewards looked at it and decided no action required.
{Insert clever sig line here}

PRFAN

Post by PRFAN »

Zoue wrote:Just seen a replay and what I didn't realise was that Max bumped Kimi which helped him make his overtake. Naughty. I'm surprised the stewards didn't do anything

I think they did evaluated the contact, no further action they said. Just racing

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

Kimi also forced Max off the track between 2 and 3

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Toby. wrote:I knew it was a bad idea to watch the F1 expecting something exciting after watching that amazing MotoGP race half an hour before.
You really should stop watching Formula 1 if you found that race boring