Indy Car - Kohler GP at Road America

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Placid

Indy Car - Kohler GP at Road America

Post by Placid »

Image indycar.com

2017 Indy Car champion Josef Newgarden placed a huge display of dominance after putting a clinic and taking a win at the Kohler GP at Road America enabling him to get back in the title hunt. Ryan Hunter-Reay and Scott Dixon completed the podium.

It was all Newgarden from the start. But Will Power who also had a front row start, was not fortunate. Power would immediately drop like a grape when he suffered a huge mechanical issue that would end his race on lap 1.

It was a caution-free race from start to finish. It was not what Sebastien Bourdais and Alexander Rossi did not wanted to see. Bourdais' trouble began on lap 9 when he suffered a gear control unit failure. It would eventually dropped him to 13th in the race. Rossi's day was even worse when he lost a camber shim that would have controlled his steering. Rossi finished 16th.

Takuma Sato and Robert Wickens who both had encounters with Rossi rounded up the top 5. Graham Rahal finished 6th with Simon Pagenaud 7th. Spencer Pigot finishes 8th. Ed Jones and James Hinchcliffe complete the top 10.

Dixon would eventually extended his lead over the trio of Hunter-Reay, Rossi, and Newgarden who are eventually 50 points apart with Andretti Autosport teammates Ryan and Alex in a 2nd place tie. Power drops 2 places to 5th. Rahal jumps to 6th. Wickens, Pangenaud, Bourdais, and Marco Andretti round up the top 10 as the series will remain in the Midwest for the next round at The Iowa Corn 300.

Report:
https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/06/06 ... ecap-final

Results:
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... FICIAL.pdf

Blake

Re: Indy Car - Kohler GP at Road America

Post by Blake »

Indeed... Newgarden drive faultlessly, the Penske boys have him a great car as well.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

This race was a good example of why you don't need overtaking to have an exciting race. The battle for the lead was real (and Dixon even got involved in it on strategy a few times), despite there being no actual pass for the lead.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

My friends and I were there, what a great place to see the races. Good race, no real drama as stated but the top drivers were close to flawless. Man this is a close series. I continue to enjoy Indy races more and more .

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

jimmyj wrote:My friends and I were there, what a great place to see the races. Good race, no real drama as stated but the top drivers were close to flawless. Man this is a close series. I continue to enjoy Indy races more and more .
They do seem to have a rules package for aerodynamics that makes for much better racing than Formula One does.
Mission WinLater

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Mort Canard wrote:
jimmyj wrote:My friends and I were there, what a great place to see the races. Good race, no real drama as stated but the top drivers were close to flawless. Man this is a close series. I continue to enjoy Indy races more and more .
They do seem to have a rules package for aerodynamics that makes for much better racing than Formula One does.
Yeah, and a less toxic fan base. In F1 we'd be seeing people moaning about what a borefest it was since Newgarden led from lights to flag. :uhoh:
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

cool, glad you all enjoyed it! it is a great place.

on some indy car websites there are plenty complaining about no passing lol the leaders were going all out, no "debris cautions" , good race