The Official Kimi Räikkonen thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Fiki

Re: The Official Kimi Räikkonen thread

Post by Fiki »

mas wrote:
Fiki wrote:Somebody said that Räikkönen should have come to the right once he was past Vettel, and the replay shows that the possibility was indeed there. I hold my hand up that I didn't realise this myself, from the replay during the race. But it would have almost been a chop, and you know how I feel about wilfully putting competitors in danger.

I posted that earlier and he was only just ahead and he would have had to complete the overtake quickly and precisely but the risk of collision would have been high and Kimi chose to show respect to his team-mate and not try it, I suspect with a another team's competitor he might have gone for it. I suppose as Kimi is a team-mate Vettel likes and respects no sense in souring that early in their relationship. He still could have been 5th or maybe even 4th if his tyre stops had gone well so it is a good start to the season for Kimi performance-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVMwq9gVIuw

:thumbup:
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

appletree

Post by appletree »

icebird wrote:If we did the math to find out where Kimi would have ended last Sunday, if he could have made his one stop strategy with a regular pit stop.
I bet it would be behind the two Mercedes. Ahead of Vettel.
He also made the fastest lap after them.

It's time to be positive and look forward to an exciting season.
That's why I don't get what's happening in this thread nowadays.
Why nobody's commenting on this, or bringing it to 400 pages for example? :nod:
Showing the enthusiasm we all should be feeling right now.

During the last couple of years I've read most of these pages, looking for first class information and team support. Don't let it fade just now!

I follow F1 since 1974 and my admiration for fast cool drivers battling in beautiful intricate cars has never diminished and I rate Raikkonen as one of the best I have witnessed.

Hope to keep on reading from you :thumbup:

Oi, but welcome to the forum icebird :] yeah, this place has been lately the critics corner from muppet show where old half blind persons lean on the railing and still manage to end up on the parquet and thats too because of Kimis incompetence. Well lets try again , shall we, and make this year a bit better with critics corner of course.

GO KIMI, be brave and change your babys mustard dipers!

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

icebird wrote:If we did the math to find out where Kimi would have ended last Sunday, if he could have made his one stop strategy with a regular pit stop.

During the last couple of years I've read most of these pages, looking for first class information and team support. Don't let it fade just now!

I follow F1 since 1974 and my admiration for fast cool drivers battling in beautiful intricate cars has never diminished and I rate Raikkonen as one of the best I have witnessed.

He was around 3 seconds behind Massa when he pitted lap 39 or 40, the pit delta in Aus is 23 seconds so he would have come out ~26-27 seconds behind with around 16 laps to go. I don't think he could've closed enough to pass him in that time but he might have caught up.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

RaggedMan wrote:

He was around 3 seconds behind Massa when he pitted lap 39 or 40, the pit delta in Aus is 23 seconds so he would have come out ~26-27 seconds behind with around 16 laps to go. I don't think he could've closed enough to pass him in that time but he might have caught up.

But he had a two stop strategy? How could we know how the race would've unfolded with a one stop strategy? Assuming he would've done the same race but without the pit stop blunders and eventual retirement, you also have to keep in mind that his first pit stop was something like 5 seconds longer than normal so hypothetically he would've been around 20 seconds behind with 16 laps to go. Could've worked.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Covalent wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

But he had a two stop strategy? How could we know how the race would've unfolded with a one stop strategy? Assuming he would've done the same race but without the pit stop blunders and eventual retirement, you also have to keep in mind that his first pit stop was something like 5 seconds longer than normal so hypothetically he would've been around 20 seconds behind with 16 laps to go. Could've worked.

Doh! Missed the one stop caveat. :blush:
{Insert clever sig line here}

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

RaggedMan wrote:
Covalent wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

Doh! Missed the one stop caveat. :blush:

Not to mention - how much time did he lose due to Sainz punting his rear at the first corner? Not just in terms of places lost due to the anti-stall kicking on, but from the physical car damage. With his floor and front wing not at 100%, there's an indication he could have gone faster in the absence of damage (of course cars often seem to not be affected even with significant amounts of bodywork damage). Considering he was fast in spite of the damage (although on newer soft tyres), I think we've a positive indication for at least this early part of the season.

beastlymaiden

Post by beastlymaiden »

Bad luck again this weekend but very decent race

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Yes, very good driving. If he hadn't had such a miserable start a podium was definitely possible. Bodes well for the future

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

Fantastic performance, was just in the wrong place at the wrong time in qualifying. Can't wait to see the Ferraris at tracks like Austria and Canada.
IV

Water

Post by Water »

The bad:

- Q2 timing
- Felipe Nasr

The good:

-Pretty much everything else

This bodes well for the season.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Kimi looks really miserable in the interview...

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Apart from his usual weird luck factor since 2001, he did everything he had to. He had a sublime pace all race through until he grabbed 4th. Then he eased off to save engine. A run of podium finishes can give his morale back.
I am rewarded with a new World; a place that is away from dictated formality, one-sided freedom, disgusting but legal sarcasms, fake happiness displayed by masked rulers... ®

Armchair Expert

Post by Armchair Expert »

Zoue wrote:Kimi looks really miserable in the interview...

He may look like he's cool and not bothered generally, but he perfectly knows what's up. 2 races in, his team mate is 2nd in championship with first win for Ferrari since almost 2 years, while he has all sorts of problems and languishes already 30 points behind. Vettel is loved by the team, while Kimi already drifts into background and gets criticised by Arrivabene (Australia being 50% his fault and that 'he should focus more' comment after quali in Malaysia). Number 2 looming and staring at him already at this stage of the season.

If anyone thought Alonso is a bas.tard who demands all sort of things (eventhough as we now know he wanted to get out of Ferrari in 2013 and 2014 was 'let's wait and see season and if it's not good I'm out'), then you are in a very nasty surprise with Vettel. Yes, he may pat Kimi on his back while they aren't in their cars, but as we saw in Australia he very aggressively block passed Kimi in first corner and he certainly won't think about his team mate when asking Ferrari for development direction.
I know what I'm talking about.

SwSpeed

Post by SwSpeed »

Bad luck result comes from the mess-up from qualy. I would blame both Ferrari and Kimi for that result.

Unfortunately the game go Vettel way at the moment.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

Desert Storm

Post by Desert Storm »

Ericsson ruined kimi's qualifying but made up for it in the race :p

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Brilliant drive from Kimi from last place - twice - to fourth! If he just has a trouble-free weekend, he will definitely give us something to cheer about! But great show in the heat!

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Armchair Expert wrote:

He may look like he's cool and not bothered generally, but he perfectly knows what's up. 2 races in, his team mate is 2nd in championship with first win for Ferrari since almost 2 years, while he has all sorts of problems and languishes already 30 points behind. Vettel is loved by the team, while Kimi already drifts into background and gets criticised by Arrivabene (Australia being 50% his fault and that 'he should focus more' comment after quali in Malaysia). Number 2 looming and staring at him already at this stage of the season.

If anyone thought Alonso is a bas.tard who demands all sort of things (eventhough as we now know he wanted to get out of Ferrari in 2013 and 2014 was 'let's wait and see season and if it's not good I'm out'), then you are in a very nasty surprise with Vettel. Yes, he may pat Kimi on his back while they aren't in their cars, but as we saw in Australia he very aggressively block passed Kimi in first corner and he certainly won't think about his team mate when asking Ferrari for development direction.

Well to be fair to Arrivabene nothing what he said was wrong. Kimi even admitted that he slipped the clutch in Australia, which helped thread the nut, and Malaysian qualifying was Kimi's fault.

I can understand Kimi's frustration, most likely with himself, but don't agree that anything shows he's No 2 just yet. He hasn't been held back by Ferrari and has had just as much opportunity to get the points as Vettel has. It's down to him to grab those opportunities, though, and it's not like he's run out of time. The season's barely begun

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Kimi did well considering he lost downforce:

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/196227.html

beastlymaiden

Post by beastlymaiden »

Come to think of it, even if Kimi was dead last in that train in the beginning of Q2 also, he may have done well enough to get into Q3. He could have left a good enough distance between him and the car in front before his flyer. He was stuck between a slower and a faster car and this was where i think he lost a lot.

Anyhow, that is in the past and definitely not ideal and nothing can be done for it now.

Kimi seems to be pretty effective on track in terms of overtaking and managing tyres and speed during the race. He really needs to iron out these stupid strategy mistakes, which somehow always seems to happen to him and not his teammate ever. Whether it his fault or the team's, I think Kimi needs to think and work out an effective way to make sure they don't happen.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

beastlymaiden wrote:Come to think of it, even if Kimi was dead last in that train in the beginning of Q2 also, he may have done well enough to get into Q3. He could have left a good enough distance between him and the car in front before his flyer. He was stuck between a slower and a faster car and this was where i think he lost a lot.

Anyhow, that is in the past and definitely not ideal and nothing can be done for it now.

Kimi seems to be pretty effective on track in terms of overtaking and managing tyres and speed during the race. He really needs to iron out these stupid strategy mistakes, which somehow always seems to happen to him and not his teammate ever. Whether it his fault or the team's, I think Kimi needs to think and work out an effective way to make sure they don't happen.

I'm not sure what you mean? I think Kimi's strategy was pretty good today. When he dived into the pits for his first set (not counting the puncture, of course) I wrote on the race thread that I thought it was a smart move and he was trying to undercut the train he'd caught up with, which was headed by Hulk some half a dozen cars in it. Sure enough, Hulk came in just a few laps later and when he emerged he was behind Kimi. Kimi overtook a good handful of cars with that strategic move alone, which also allowed him to come out in clear air and help preserve his tyres. Clever stuff I thought, especially as when Kimi caught the train he was still showing good pace on his existing set.

beastlymaiden

Post by beastlymaiden »

Zoue wrote:
beastlymaiden wrote:Come to think of it, even if Kimi was dead last in that train in the beginning of Q2 also, he may have done well enough to get into Q3. He could have left a good enough distance between him and the car in front before his flyer. He was stuck between a slower and a faster car and this was where i think he lost a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean? I think Kimi's strategy was pretty good today. When he dived into the pits for his first set (not counting the puncture, of course) I wrote on the race thread that I thought it was a smart move and he was trying to undercut the train he'd caught up with, which was headed by Hulk some half a dozen cars in it. Sure enough, Hulk came in just a few laps later and when he emerged he was behind Kimi. Kimi overtook a good handful of cars with that strategic move alone, which also allowed him to come out in clear air and help preserve his tyres. Clever stuff I thought, especially as when Kimi caught the train he was still showing good pace on his existing set.

I was meaning the qualifying debacle actually, where he was stuck between a slower Ericsson and a faster Hamilton.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Kimi drove a mean race - from last (twice) to 4th. I think his speed and ability are more than obvious and if he can finally have a trouble-free weekend, we will see a real tussle with him and Seb. I'm getting tired of Kimi having so much bad luck, so hopefully the team concentrates on ensuring him a straightforward qually and race in China. His gazillion fans with their Kimi flags will be in abundance. Last season they demanded he have a son. Let's see what they demand this round. :)

Pole2Win

Post by Pole2Win »

I was pleased with his race. Terrible luck, but showed similar pace to Vettel and could've finished even higher with a better starting position.

I heard from journos that this is the first car with Allison influence in it, and it shows, as he was responsible for the tire-saving Lotuses of previous years and now Ferrari has a car with quite conservative tire wear, too.

I don't have high hopes for Kimi's season and teammate battle, though. It's very clear Vettel is better liked by the team and makes a better effort to fit in. His radio after the win was pure territory-setting.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Armchair Expert wrote:

Kimi has been very unlucky in the first 2 races. But things will change and even Vettel might have his floor damaged and what not this season :twisted: There is long way to go but he needs to be good in qualifying I think that is the main thing. I remember when he made his return to F1 with lotus. He could not get the tyres to work in qualifying but his race pace was great and even won the race in Abu Dhabi. The problem was he was not in front so that he could challenge at front. I think this championship is normal for him. Moreover he always starts the season bad throughout this career. 2003 was the only exception. Sadly for him and Mcalren Mercedes. Ferrari and Williams BMW just kept on getting better and he lost WC to MS by 2points inspite of being the best driver :-(( 2008 was other other year where for some reason they decided to change the car and it got worst for him x(

The main challenge is having a clean weekend and qualifying :x
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

I expect a well-deserved podium from Kimi in China. His presence is way more important than it seems for the outcome of this years Drivers' Championship. Only one driver, or only one designer does not make a Team winner. Kimi's existence was needed for the Ferrari victory in Malaysia.
I am rewarded with a new World; a place that is away from dictated formality, one-sided freedom, disgusting but legal sarcasms, fake happiness displayed by masked rulers... ®

mas

Post by mas »

Kimi "I will be in peace with myself only when I come back to win a GP with Ferrari"

https://twitter.com/kappa224/status/582 ... 64/photo/1

SwSpeed

Re: The Official Kitty Räikkonen thread

Post by SwSpeed »

Eeehh.... Been away for quite some time. Kitty?

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

mas

Post by mas »

Admins' version of an April 1 joke although it looks more like jumping the shark to me and will lead to unnecessary confused off-topic posts everywhere.

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

I'm sure everyone can work it out don't seem a problem. Just a couple of moments of confusion. Which is what an April fools should do.

Liket

Post by Liket »

I'm a huge fan of Hello Kimi.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Ironically the driver that has been crashing into Kimi this year, is someone whose career Kimi has financially supported. :D

- Kimi is one those who invested in my career because my family couldn't afford to support me in the European F3 series, Nasr told Canal F1 Latin America.
Source Iltasanomat.

appletree

Post by appletree »

Your never alone in China Kimi.http://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:3e ... 2dd508b3a2
source MTV3

komil

Post by komil »

do you have info/data on Kimi's long run pace comparing to the Mercs?

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

komil wrote:do you have info/data on Kimi's long run pace comparing to the Mercs?

I don't have data, but one report I read said that Kimi matched Rosberg on the longer runs on the Medium tyres

edit: From SKY sports:

However, during the long runs Raikkonen and Nico Rosberg headed out on the medium compound at the same time and the Finn was around three tenths of a second quicker than the Mercedes driver, suggesting an interesting race battle awaits on Sunday.

komil

Post by komil »

thx

Goatsoup

Post by Goatsoup »

Another bad qualifying result from Kimi. In the race he needs to get a better start and be less tentative, otherwise he likely lose a couple of places at the start (which seems to be happening quite regularly). James Allison even said that Kimi should have been further up the grid.

He needs to shape up or this is going to be his last season.

mas

Post by mas »

I think what Ferrari should do is to fuel him up to do two possible flying laps each go rather than just one as he obviously has trouble warming up his tyres so he probably needs more laps to get ready or if his first flying one is a dud. Ferrari have already modified the car to suit him, now they probably need to adjust his qualifying strategy too to help him get the best out of the car. Two bad qualifications that have directly resulted from preceding traffic on the out lap not allowing to get properly settled and warmed up shows how sensitive he is in qualification and Ferrari should take account of this. Kudos though to Vettel for bringing his qualification A-game from Red Bull, he's settled in well !
Last edited by mas on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

If there had been a rule saying that race positions give the results for the starting grid of next race; Raikkonen's total collected points would have certainly been much more with Lotus and Ferrari cars instead of struggling all weekend trying to catch the front runners.

Qualifying takes out any Championship chance of Raikkonen since his comeback. He has to do something effective about it while he has a seat.
Last edited by Need4Naiim on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

Yet I was crucified the other day for saying his qualifying will be the downfall of his season.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Goatsoup wrote:Another bad qualifying result from Kimi. In the race he needs to get a better start and be less tentative, otherwise he likely lose a couple of places at the start (which seems to be happening quite regularly). James Allison even said that Kimi should have been further up the grid.

He needs to shape up or this is going to be his last season.

Well of course Allison said that - Kimi lost at least four tenths in that final run, which would have put him fourth. He keeps compromising his Sunday with his driving on Saturday and I'm sure Ferrari aren't that impressed. The odd mistake is OK but every week?

The season isn't dependent upon Saturday, however, although Kimi keeps making it hard for him to get a decent result by having to fight past lesser cars. He does need to fix his qualifying demons as at the moment he's looking like one of the worst qualifiers on the grid, which is not what you'd expect from a former WDC