2018 Chinese Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Altair

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Altair »

Even without max taking out vettel, that was some horribly poor race management from ferrari
Last edited by Altair on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

wonder81 wrote:All things considered was worried Vettal was starting to pull away in the championship. This sets things up nicely now
Indeed, generally speaking poor race for Hamilton but he's lost little
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

iceman_fan90

Post by iceman_fan90 »

duplicate
Last edited by iceman_fan90 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Can someone tell me why Bottas moving twice, including in the braking zone, not even mentioned? Is punishment waved off because Ricciardo managed to avoid it? What a farce.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

And as far as Max goes, it is becoming a pattern now. He needs a more stern warning from stewards and FIA. Its getting ridiculous with the amount of incidents he is having, most of which are usually his mistake.
Last edited by funkymonkey on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Actually when you think about it once the safety car came out Kimi should have won the race really. Very poor race from him.
If Ferrari had done what Red Bull did, he may well have done. They had nothing to lose by putting him on the Ultras and going for broke. Really strange they didn't
That would have put him behind both Red Bulls and he'd only been out a few laps anyway. He was screwed over by strategy but the bits he could control he did badly at as well.
Sure, but Ferrari already knew they were the fastest of anyone on the Ultras, so it still would have been better for him to give it a shot.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

This 10 seconds for punting people off is a really dodgy maximum punishment.... it's too easy to eliminate any gain for the wronged party, especially if you have a much faster car.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

whitewolfarctic

Post by whitewolfarctic »

Ferrari were crazy not pitting Raikkonen considering his track position when the safety car came out. A missed opportunity. Honesty, their strategies for the whole race were just miscalculated. Makes you wonder what was going on in their heads.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Ricciardo was "clinical", Max looked scrappy and dare I say amateurish. Ricc's moves can be rather gung-ho at times though.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:Well, don't know what others think but that was seriously unlucky for Bottas. He looked about the best out there today. He didn't get the chance to pit and Ricciardo had the safety car and a chance to pit. ricciardo made it work perfectly, but that was almost certainly a missed win for Bottas not down to his driving at all.
Yes I'd agree Bottas had a really good race

Altair

Post by Altair »

funkymonkey wrote:And as far as Max goes, it is becoming a pattern now. He needs a more stern warning from stewards and FIA. Its getting ridiculous with the amount of incidents he is having, most of which are usually his mistake.
As Hamilton said perfectly, what a ****head

gregs51

Post by gregs51 »

mikeyg123 wrote:Merc dropped a bollock not bringing Hamilton in when the safety car came out.
Yep, and it was immediately obvious as well. Third strategic mistake in as many races. Mercedes need to start asking questions internally.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Actually when you think about it once the safety car came out Kimi should have won the race really. Very poor race from him.
If Ferrari had done what Red Bull did, he may well have done. They had nothing to lose by putting him on the Ultras and going for broke. Really strange they didn't
The start said it all, or nearly, and the answer to your point is that it takes a strategy department that thinks for 2 drivers, not just 1.

Pitwise, Red Bull schooled Ferrari once again. But Vettel's defence at the start, not for the first time, ruined the Ferrari chances for a successful outcome without the spectacle car.

I'm delighted for Ricciardo, but this race was certainly nothing for F1 to boast about.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
That would have put him behind both Red Bulls and he'd only been out a few laps anyway. He was screwed over by strategy but the bits he could control he did badly at as well.
Sure, but Ferrari already knew they were the fastest of anyone on the Ultras, so it still would have been better for him to give it a shot.
Yeah could've been worth a try.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Bottas had a great race, Ricciardo needs a nickname change.... The Hoover or something.... whenever anything gets spilt off the main table, there he is sucking it all up with aplomb.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

Red Bull thinking on their feet, and Merc + Ferrari looking ponderous and silly.

Mad race.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
He was on Mediums and could have swapped to softs, would have kept 6th position and be fighting cars with a faster tyre and car. He got overtaken By Danny anyway.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Altair

Post by Altair »

Invade wrote:Ricciardo was "clinical", Max looked scrappy and dare I say amateurish. Ricc's moves can be rather gung-ho at times though.
Danny puts other drivers in the position of giving up the spot or being involved in a collision.

Max just puts himself and others into collisions.

F1nut

Post by F1nut »

From boring to outstanding WOW - great race Ricardo and Red Bull........... it's going to be a terrific year for F1, looks like.

and here at one point I was dozing off........, my man Kimi did the best he could under the circumstances and I'll leave the criticism to others - for I love a good race and just saw one......

(add another ATTA-BOY to ESPN for another flag to flag covered race)

Herb

Post by Herb »

I guess that is why you gamble on stacking in the pit. Great Job today by everyone (except one) at RB today.

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

iceman_fan90 wrote:Ferrari had this in the bag until they tried to get way too cute with their "strategy".
It would have been a disaster if Hamilton was on his game. Fortunately he wasn’t yet again and was easily beaten by his team mate again. Seb unlucky but can be relieved Hamilton went missing on a bad luck day.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Congrats @ Kimi for pulling out 3rd after that mess of a race! Good stuff. Great job by Dan the man.

In my opinion, Max needs to be given a race suspension with the threat of being banned, like they did Grosjean so he too can start taking racing seriously.

Hamilton got a bit of help with his gap to Vettel in the Championship. Bottas is probably sitting a bit prettier about now as well. So Merc, not too bad a day.

As we say in football....on to Azerbaijan.
Last edited by bourbon19 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

THAT WAS THE MOST EXCITING RACE I'VE WATCHED IN YEARS!!

Man I was getting kind of bored, there was so much this race though! Excellent driving, excellent overtakes (and REALLY overtakes) and excellent and highly fluid strategy. Man that was a brilliant way to finish off the weekend :D
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

whitewolfarctic

I think Ricciardo's overtakes were right smooth to be honest. They were dangerous but he got the job done without really running the other drivers off. I'm not sure about the Verstappen and Vettel incident personally. Looked like there was a lot of room there. Verstappen should have been more patient with Hamilton for sure though.

iceman_fan90

Post by iceman_fan90 »

Ferrari had this in the bag until they tried to get way too cute with their "strategy". Just awful strategy on every single level. First, not covering Bottas' undercut attempt with Vettel. Then ruining Kimi's race by leaving him out for a disreputable reason which didn't even work and then not pitting Kimi on safety car for a fresh set of softs. Garbage on every single level. They did not deserve to win today.

This race seems like karma for the disrespect that they treated their last WDC with.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Kimi making a little dig about needing the softer tyres after the SC there!

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Kimi looks tiddled off
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

iceman_fan90 wrote:Ferrari had this in the bag until they tried to get way too cute with their "strategy". Just awful strategy on every single level. First, not covering Bottas' undercut attempt with Vettel. Then ruining Kimi's race by leaving him out for a disreputable reason which didn't even work and then not pitting Kimi on safety car for a fresh set of softs. Garbage on every single level. They did not deserve to win today.

This race seems like karma for the disrespect that they treated their last WDC with.
Ferrari's treatment of Kimi is pretty egregious. They only give a damn about Vettel - I truly believe that.

whitewolfarctic

I actually think Kimi had a decent drive. I wonder if something to do with his setup makes it harder for him to follow cars. Everyone was having trouble but his car had absolutely no grip behind the others. It looked like he was driving on ice. It could just be him but that Ferrari looked right loose.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Zoue wrote:Kimi making a little dig about needing the softer tyres after the SC there!
His spot on :thumbup:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

bourbon19 wrote:In my opinion, Max needs to be given a race suspension with the threat of being banned, like they did Grosjean so he too can start taking racing seriously.
I second that.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Ferrari got away with potential strategy mistake in last race. THey didnt this time around. If both Ferrari and Merc keep trying to play the try to make it 1 stop safely mood, redbull is going to steal more races from both of them this season.

In an effort to outdo each other to 1 stop race, Mercedes and Ferrari both lost this race to RedBull.

Forget Vettel's misfortune today, that was ******* move by Max and Vettel was already on main straight when the safety car was declared, but they should have brought Kimi in. This is a wake up call for both Mercedes and Ferrari. They cant keep playing this go long, try to make every race 1 stop game anymore. Because if they keep doing that and there is any interruption, they will find themselves in such situation again and again. Its time that both of them try to find the fastest race speed for themselves. If it means making 2 stop every race, then so be it.

whitewolfarctic

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:Kimi making a little dig about needing the softer tyres after the SC there!
I think he could have won honesty. It's hard to say because it's so difficult to overtake and I don't know if he would have tried those moves like Ricciardo. But I think the car would have had better performance than the Red Bull.

frankwer

Post by frankwer »

The passes Daniel made was so intelligent and smooth, makes Max look like a damn fool, but what can you expect with that Mr.Beanish look :)

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Di Resta called it straight away during the race that Hamilton should have pit, he would have lost 0 positions with fresh tyres. Wolff says with hindsight 30mins after the race they should have pit :lol:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Glasnost

Post by Glasnost »

funkymonkey wrote:And as far as Max goes, it is becoming a pattern now. He needs a more stern warning from stewards and FIA. Its getting ridiculous with the amount of incidents he is having, most of which are usually his mistake.
I'm a pretty Big Dan fan, but It's almost as if Max is trying to pull the same moves as Dan's dive bombs, but the rest of the field doesn't have the same amount of respect for him and give him the space like they do Dan.
How often does Dan send the dive bomb and drivers stay wide.... Max go's for it and no quarter given.

Just an observation.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

whitewolfarctic wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
I think he could have won honesty. It's hard to say because it's so difficult to overtake and I don't know if he would have tried those moves like Ricciardo. But I think the car would have had better performance than the Red Bull.
Kimi never attempts to overtake anyway. No chance could he go from 6th to 1st.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

whitewolfarctic wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Kimi would have had soft tyres and a quicker car than the RB, the only question mark is it's Kimi.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

lucifers wrote:shouldn't merc have pitted hamilton
100%.

As soon as he Red Bulls pitted Merc should have got Hamilton in.

Once again the Merc strategist got it wrong.

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Should we rename F1 "Formula Safety Car" ?

( Oh, and Verstaffen really needs a nickname. )