2018 Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
JN23

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Threa

Post by JN23 »

Ferrari seem to be a bit quicker that Merc at the moment, still quite early though.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

My read on the situation is changing. I'm really not convinced that Mercedes have an engine advantage over Ferrari anymore. To me their advantage seems to be aero now. With Ferrari making a more radical change to their aero philosophy they probably have more room for development and will probably develop faster. But in terms of engine performance and power, they don't seem to be at a disadvantage to me. They will be very competitive tomorrow IMO.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Many strange developments here.
Merc more than half a sec off the pace.
RedBull a sec behind.
Honda only half a sec off RedBull and ahead of Mclaren.
Haas nowhere compared to Australia.
I don’t know what to think except everyone is running completely different programmes. Yeah must be it...

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I was pretty sure Mercedes will have advantage here but somehow Ferrari looking fast here. Also has TR drivers gap is really big. Is one driver using upgraded engine or car?
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

It all fits with what we saw in Australia; where Ferrari were actually quicker in a straight line but Merc were better through the corners. It might be hard to believe but it's possible there is a new engine king in F1. That also helps to explain Haas's early form this year.

lamo

Post by lamo »

Red Bull fastest on race pace according to averages just announced by Crofty, couple of tenths ahead of Ferrari and 0.5+ ahead of Mercedes.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:I was pretty sure Mercedes will have advantage here but somehow Ferrari looking fast here. Also has TR drivers gap is really big. Is one driver using upgraded engine or car?
Gasly is on a new engine.
Feel The Fourth

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:I was pretty sure Mercedes will have advantage here but somehow Ferrari looking fast here. Also has TR drivers gap is really big. Is one driver using upgraded engine or car?
Imo the gap in speed between Gasly and Hartley is big and it will become more evident as the season unfolds. I fear Hartley has no business being in f1.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Merc were in a lower power mode according to Toto.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

lamo

Post by lamo »

Lotus49 wrote:Merc were in a lower power mode according to Toto.
Wouldn't they always be in that on Friday? As will all the teams. Mercedes dominated Friday in Melbourne, I am sure on low power mode too

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Says Ferrari was in full "Party mode"!!!
Mission WinLater

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

lamo wrote:
Wouldn't they always be in that on Friday? As will all the teams. Mercedes dominated Friday in Melbourne, I am sure on low power mode too
Yeah but he specifically said Ferrari were in a higher engine mode. And when asked how he knew he explained how they work it out using the GPS traces.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

UnlikeUday wrote:
But 1.7secs is huge difference and Hartley engine is only 1 race old. I think commentator said gasly likes this track and has won before. Australia was new for both. There are probably many reasons
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

lamo

Post by lamo »

Fair enough, he always tends to down play how far they are behind and always how far they are ahead.

Verstappen and Ricciardo available at 14/1 to win, crazy odds.

https://www.bet365.com/#/AC/B10/C205774 ... 717337/F2/

Just put £50 on each and I'm not even a gambler. Seems like great value.

lamo

Post by lamo »

This is definitely going to be a 2 or maybe even a 3 stopper, the tyre depredation on those long runs was huge. Cars seemed to lose about 1.5 seconds after just 10 laps. This will give great under cutting opportunities (unlike Melbourne) brand new tyre vs 15 lap old tyre is likely going to be a couple of seconds of lap time.

All in all, we should be in store for a good race here.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

kleefton wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Imo the gap in speed between Gasly and Hartley is big and it will become more evident as the season unfolds. I fear Hartley has no business being in f1.
Hate to say it but I fully agree. Hartly is not an F1-level driver. Toro Rosso have arguably the weakest lineup in the field (Williams and Sauber also in the running).

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

lamo wrote:
True but you sort of get the impression that the Merc engines were turned a long way down.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 96 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 166 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
But 1.7secs is huge difference and Hartley engine is only 1 race old. I think commentator said gasly likes this track and has won before. Australia was new for both. There are probably many reasons
Hartley did Gasly by 7 tenths in Australia, just let us see how it plays out.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

lamo wrote:Fair enough, he always tends to down play how far they are behind and always how far they are ahead.

Verstappen and Ricciardo available at 14/1 to win, crazy odds.

https://www.bet365.com/#/AC/B10/C205774 ... 717337/F2/

Just put £50 on each and I'm not even a gambler. Seems like great value.
£100 on bets and you're not a gambler? :lol:
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Altair

Post by Altair »

lamo wrote:
They were running on bummer mode, which is a much lower power mode than all the others.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Hamilton taking a gearbox penalty apparantly.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... id-penalty

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

sandman1347 wrote:Hamilton taking a gearbox penalty apparantly.
Yeah. More and more its not looking like a hamilton weekend.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

kleefton wrote:
Nope but I guess at least you can pass around Bahrain. :(
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Nope but I guess at least you can pass around Bahrain. :(
yeah, and I suspect Mercedes haven't shown their hand as yet. If they prove to have a similar speed advantage to Melbourne then starting 6th won't be a massive handicap here. I shouldn't write Hamilton off just yet

moby

Post by moby »

If Hamilton is starting from 5 down, there is not a lot of point in screwing his engine to fight the top 3.

He was possibly working on a tyre saving setup to jump into the top group at pit time without taking 'Life' out of his engine.
If he qualifies behind the Ferraris and RBR + team mate, he can start 11 with free choice of new tyres.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

moby wrote:If Hamilton is starting from 5 down, there is not a lot of point in screwing his engine to fight the top 3.

He was possibly working on a tyre saving setup to jump into the top group at pit time without taking 'Life' out of his engine.
If he qualifies behind the Ferraris and RBR + team mate, he can start 11 with free choice of new tyres.

Good point. It will be interesting to see what their approach will be.

lamo

Post by lamo »

Reliability won Hamilton the title last year, first issue since Malaysia 2016 so you can’t complain.

2018 has started like 2016 though, driving well but losing races because of circumstances. My Verstappen and Ricciardo bets are looking better and better :lol:

lamo

Post by lamo »

Reliability won Hamilton the title last year, first issue since Malaysia 2016 so you can’t complain.

2018 has started like 2016 though, driving well but losing races because of circumstances. My Verstappen and Ricciardo bets are looking better and better :lol:

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

I hope Valtteri can step up to take the fight to the Red Team.

Would also not mind seeing RBR and Haas having banner weekends, but I doubt that either will seriously challenge the prancing ponies.

Edit: It also occurs to me that Lewis and Valtteri have not shown their real speed yet this weekend. In fact Toto said after P2 that they had not run in a "high mode" this weekend.

The length of time they have to nurture these power units means that sandbagging is probably going to be way race weekends are going to be run this year. None of the top teams will really show their hand till Q2 or Q3, and then only for a lap or two. Practice sessions could end up being run at 90-95% all year long. :thumbdown:
Mission WinLater

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Mort Canard wrote:I hope Valtteri can step up to take the fight to the Red Team.

Would also not mind seeing RBR and Haas having banner weekends, but I doubt that either will seriously challenge the prancing ponies.

Edit: It also occurs to me that Lewis and Valtteri have not shown their real speed yet this weekend. In fact Toto said after P2 that they had not run in a "high mode" this weekend.

The length of time they have to nurture these power units means that sandbagging is probably going to be way race weekends are going to be run this year. None of the top teams will really show their hand till Q2 or Q3, and then only for a lap or two. Practice sessions could end up being run at 90-95% all year long. :thumbdown:
Nobody has really turned up the engine. With the engine restrictions this year and this being Bahrain with its dusty hot weather, drivers wont run the top setting until Saturday. We are more than a second off from the 2017 pole times.
We will see Friday's times left in dust come qualifying.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Gasly really impressed!
Feel The Fourth

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

sandman1347 wrote:My read on the situation is changing. I'm really not convinced that Mercedes have an engine advantage over Ferrari anymore. To me their advantage seems to be aero now. With Ferrari making a more radical change to their aero philosophy they probably have more room for development and will probably develop faster. But in terms of engine performance and power, they don't seem to be at a disadvantage to me. They will be very competitive tomorrow IMO.
I basically disagreed with you on this topic all of last year, but even I’m starting to change my mind.

Ferrari ran a barndoor rear wing around Melbourne to compensate for their lack of rear downforce, and they were still slightly quicker than Mercedes down the straight.

What I will say is that Mercedes have better fuel economy than Ferrari, some rumours say that they can start the race with 10 litres less fuel onboard.

As it stands right now Ferrari don’t understand fully their chassis. They were losing a lot of time through the corners in Melbourne. They appear to be better here in Bahrain, but still not where they want to be.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

KingVoid wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:My read on the situation is changing. I'm really not convinced that Mercedes have an engine advantage over Ferrari anymore. To me their advantage seems to be aero now. With Ferrari making a more radical change to their aero philosophy they probably have more room for development and will probably develop faster. But in terms of engine performance and power, they don't seem to be at a disadvantage to me. They will be very competitive tomorrow IMO.
I basically disagreed with you on this topic all of last year, but even I’m starting to change my mind.

Ferrari ran a barndoor rear wing around Melbourne to compensate for their lack of rear downforce, and they were still slightly quicker than Mercedes down the straight.

What I will say is that Mercedes have better fuel economy than Ferrari, some rumours say that they can start the race with 10 litres less fuel onboard.

As it stands right now Ferrari don’t understand fully their chassis. They were losing a lot of time through the corners in Melbourne. They appear to be better here in Bahrain, but still not where they want to be.
weren't TR still pretty high on the speed traps? Doesn't make their PU more powerful than others.

Merc are still able to turn up the wick when they want to and it's not just forumers who say that. It's not aero they are switching on, that's for sure. The reason Ferrari were faster down the straights is just setup, in the same way that TR were.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Pleased to see Tom Clarcson on the Channel 4 coverage. He's one presenter I've missed since Channel 4 took over the BBC. Although he was still with the BBC on radio 5 live I think. Hopefully he will stay on Channel 4. I like him as a reporter in the pit lane.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

lamo wrote:Reliability won Hamilton the title last year, first issue since Malaysia 2016 so you can’t complain.

Reliability helped I'm not sure it was THE factor why he won the title?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

weren't TR still pretty high on the speed traps? Doesn't make their PU more powerful than others.

Merc are still able to turn up the wick when they want to and it's not just forumers who say that. It's not aero they are switching on, that's for sure. The reason Ferrari were faster down the straights is just setup, in the same way that TR were.
Whenever Mercedes were quicker on the straights last year that was proof they had the better engine, Spa comes to mind, some were happy to overlook the low downforce set up on the Mercedes it seemed.

Did not the poster infer that Ferrari ran more downforce in Australia?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Whenever Mercedes were quicker on the straights last year that was proof they had the better engine, Spa comes to mind, some were happy to overlook the low downforce set up on the Mercedes it seemed.

that wasn't the only proof, not for most people

It's a wonder drivers and TPs talk about Merc power when it's not true, isn't it?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

that wasn't the only proof, not for most people

It's a wonder drivers and TPs talk about Merc power when it's not true, isn't it?
It strikes me that people use whatever they can use.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Please someone teach Rachel Brookes to speak so Americans can understand her. Don’t have any particular problem with understanding Crofty or Lazenby.
Mission WinLater

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Mort Canard wrote:Please someone teach Rachel Brookes to speak so Americans can understand her. Don’t have any particular problem with understanding Crofty or Lazenby.
What is it about the way she talks which makes it difficult?