Re: 2017 Mexican Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by F1_Ernie »

Congratulations Hamilton get in
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zblogger wrote:
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:Jesus it's easy to forget how much we miss Alonso's racing in F1.

I just wonder what he could be doing with a decent car behind him. the guy is Amazing. Great little fight there.
Yes he's good at hitting cars that try to pass him.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Invade wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:Why is Hamilton fighting so hard for points, considering where Vettel is?
The joy of racing.
More risky than necessary but I'm sure he enjoyed it

Invade

Post by Invade »

Well driven and controlled Max - super weekend.

Fantastic season for Lewis Hamilton. 4xWDC... outstanding.

Next year we'll have two 4xWDCs battling against the other, and I expect Red Bull will be there and don't rule out McLaren.

Aspar

Post by Aspar »

Well done Lewis, congrats champ!!!

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zblogger wrote:
pokerman wrote:Alonso hits Hamiltons car and then asks about track limits, the only driver that played it clean was Hamilton.

Was a lovely little duel there though.
Apart from Alonso asking about a legal pass
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Migen

Post by Migen »

Congrats Hamilton & his fans... deserved title win.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

A Red Bull leads every lap and sets fastest laps at the end. Where have I seen that before?

Aspar

Post by Aspar »

pokerman wrote:
Zblogger wrote:
pokerman wrote:Alonso hits Hamiltons car and then asks about track limits, the only driver that played it clean was Hamilton.

Alonso has always been a whiney primadona, but he still has skills and that fight with Hamilton was joy to watch.
Last edited by Aspar on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

Congratulations Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes. What a run they've had! Hamilton is truly in the top class of all time!

lamo

Post by lamo »

F1Tyrant wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:Why is Hamilton fighting so hard for points, considering where Vettel is?
Vettel merely had to drive the last two sectors of lap 1 with a damaged front wing. Hamilton had to do it with no right-rear tyre.

Hamilton lost huge amounts of time that Vettel simply didn't. Punctures are generally more damaging.
Hamilton was 26 seconds behind Vettel once they had both pitted but the Ferrari probably had the race pace on Mercedes too today.
Last edited by lamo on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

zaar wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:Vettel only has himself to blame for his defeat today. It was his brain dead move to hit TWO cars on lap 1 and send himself into the pits for a new nose.
It was his only chance. He made it look accidental and is the driver of the day with incredible moves all over the track. But he needed a safety car to really get the rewards he needed.
At first I thought you were joking but now ...
That assumption is beyond ridiculous.
I'm not joking. Hamilton would have easily got fifth without a first lap incident. Don't forget Seb already had damage too so he really needed to cut his tyre to have a prayer.

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

Awesome, wish I was there.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Coulthard would ya go away hahahaha
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

MasterRacer wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:Vettel only has himself to blame for his defeat today. It was his brain dead move to hit TWO cars on lap 1 and send himself into the pits for a new nose.
It was his only chance. He made it look accidental and is the driver of the day with incredible moves all over the track. But he needed a safety car to really get the rewards he needed.
Oaf of the day perhaps?
Last edited by pokerman on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Congratulations to Lewis for securing the championship. It was a solid race after the misfortune of losing his tire on the first lap through no fault of his own. I think he is quite deserving of this one and is driver of the year to boot.

For Vettel it was a disasterous first lap. I think he was pushing too hard there into the first corner and really got out of shape there. He also took Lewis out there and was lucky to get away with it. He did show his class though in this race and from lap 2 onwards I felt he was driver of the day. Furious charge through the field today and it just wasn't on the cards unfortunately. That said, Ferrari will very much see this season as a major step forward. They were right there at the front with Mercedes and with the winter coming, they could pull ahead if they out-develop them.

For Max, we have seen in recent races that he is finally starting to cash in on the results that his pace suggests he should produce. He is something special and next season should be very interesting between the top 3 teams (and possibly McLaren too) provided Renault are able to make their engine competitive.
Last edited by sandman1347 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

pokerman wrote:
Zblogger wrote:

He only asked in hope and his voice was resigned, because usually he'd be screaming about an illegal move.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

MasterRacer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zblogger wrote:

He only asked in hope and his voice was resigned, because usually he'd be screaming about an illegal move.
Always asking for drivers to be penalised when he tries to push them off the track is classless
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Ok it's over now I can breath again. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

sandman1347 wrote:He is something special and next season should be very interesting between the top 3 teams (and possibly McLaren too) provided Renault are able to make their engine competitive.
The Renault is already quick! It just needs to be more reliable!

purchville

Post by purchville »

Every countries' fans are now the best fans
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

Invade

Post by Invade »

In a strange way it was an exciting race even though really we all assumed the title race was long over. Well perhaps I'm only speaking for myself.

Anyway, hugely impressive from Max Verstappen. Red Bull are genuinely competitive with Mercedes and Ferrari. I don't think they'll quite be this strong at the last two races but they have made huge strides and it bodes wonderfully well for 2018.

zaar

Post by zaar »

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zblogger wrote:

Always asking for drivers to be penalised when he tries to push them off the track is classless
To be honest: in contrast to Massa against Vettel the duel between Alonso was hard but fair racing. Alonso did not leave really much space for Hamilton but just enough for Hamilton to stay beside him without leaving the track.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zblogger wrote:

Alonso wasn't asking for a penalty, he just asked if Lewis had left the track to pass him. Given how much Alonso squeezed Hamilton on the outside it's a reasonable question to ask.

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

zaar wrote:
Ocon wrote:So all the second drivers in the first three places, doesn't happen often.
I'm not at all convinced that Verstappen is no. 2 at Red Bull
He sure is looking good lately.

Invade

Post by Invade »

I agree that Max is special. No ordinary talent indeed. I'm convinced he'll be consistently one of the best three drivers on the grid over the course of most of his career and often the best. We've seen raw speed, good race management (OK he took risks today I guess there's still work to do there) and the ability to make up places off the start consistently. He's a shark out there.
Last edited by Invade on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Invade wrote:In a strange way it was an exciting race even though really we all assumed the title race was long over. Well perhaps I'm only speaking for myself.

Anyway, hugely impressive from Max Verstappen. Red Bull are genuinely competitive with Mercedes and Ferrari. I don't think they'll quite be this strong at the last two races but they have made huge strides and it bodes wonderfully well for 2018.
I would actually be more surprised to see Vettel win the title next season than I would to see either one of the Red Bull drivers. I think they're clearly the 2nd best car and may well have the best race package at the moment.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

purchville wrote:Every countries' fans are now the best fans
The country with the best crowd/fans according to Lewis Hamilton:

https://m.imgur.com/aNXz706

Invade

Post by Invade »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

GingerFurball wrote:
Invade wrote:In a strange way it was an exciting race even though really we all assumed the title race was long over. Well perhaps I'm only speaking for myself.

I would actually be more surprised to see Vettel win the title next season than I would to see either one of the Red Bull drivers. I think they're clearly the 2nd best car and may well have the best race package at the moment.
There's nothing between Mercedes/Red Bull/Ferrari at the moment. It's really down to who puts together the best weekend now (basically it's been like this since Singapore).

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

I don't think Raikkonen and Bottas could be at a place that suited them less up there with the dj
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Grats to Hamilton on title number 4. Vettel confirms his position as the grids biggest lap 1 liability. That boy needs to have a word with himself. Brundle calls the race "Hamilton's poorest of the season". I personally think Brundle and Crofty's commentary for this race was the worst I have ever heard in F1. Utterly awful by the pair of them fron start toi finish.

Invade

Post by Invade »

sandman1347 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

There's nothing between Mercedes/Red Bull/Ferrari at the moment. It's really down to who puts together the best weekend now (basically it's been like this since Singapore).

Yeh depends on the circuit right now. Merc were probably third best in quali and race today but I still think there were only 3 or so tenths in it in qualifying (check comments in fastest car thread) and there weren't huge differences in race pace today either and we didn't get to use Hamilton as any sort of vague barometer today - I wonder if he also had some car damage that limited his race pace.

Very much balanced between the top three teams now. Fundamentally, I agree.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:I don't think Raikkonen and Bottas could be at a place that suited them less up there with the dj
:lol: I was thinking exactly the same
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

What a party!!!!

veffy

Post by veffy »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:A Red Bull leads every lap and sets fastest laps at the end. Where have I seen that before?
Mercedes the last 4 years?

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:I don't think Raikkonen and Bottas could be at a place that suited them less up there with the dj
I think Kimi could be a dj, he seems very musical. :)

Invade

Post by Invade »

Watching the replay of the start is not pretty.

veffy

Post by veffy »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

lol

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Invade wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Yeh depends on the circuit right now. Merc were probably third best in quali and race today but I still think there were only 3 or so tenths in it in qualifying (check comments in fastest car thread) and there weren't huge differences in race pace today either and we didn't get to use Hamilton as any sort of vague barometer today - I wonder if he also had some car damage that limited his race pace.

Very much balanced between the top three teams now. Fundamentally, I agree.
I wouldn't be suprised if Hamilton did have damage but we saw again one of the Mercedes weakness which is following in the dirty air.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition