2017 Mexican Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
mikeyg123

Re: 2017 Mexican Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:Alonso forcing another car off the track also hitting it causing damage he's the first to complain about bad driving.
:thumbup:

Invade

Post by Invade »

No investigation necessary - "we call it motor racing".

We can move on for now. ;)

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Vettel driving beyond stupid. Of course the FIA will protect him.

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

Seb is in quite a good position having done his pit stop. He could actually still win this.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Vettel crying like a baby on the radio. Pathetic.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Vettel has to give that place back to Massa.

Aspar

Post by Aspar »

Ennis wrote:
Aspar wrote:WTF is Vettel doing, he first squeezed Max out of the track then hit Hamilton. Needs a penalty, but they won't give him. Max also squeezed Hamilton too much, but Hamilton backed down enough to not cause a hit, then Vettel just hit him from the side. Max and Vettel have been so unprofessional in the last several races it's mind boggling.
I don't think you can squeeze too much on corner exit when you are ahead and have the racing line, so I don't blame Max for that one. It was actually lesser than the one Vettel did to him just prior to that.

I like Vettel but man... It's times like that that make me wonder if Webber's critique of his spacial awareness carries more than a little truth. This season has both elevated and sank Vettel in my opinion, strange one - has shown some outstanding moves I didn't think he was capable of, and performed some stupid moves I wish he wasn't capable of.
I agree, Max "squeezed" Hamilton and it was in the boundaries of normal racing, Hamilton was behind and he did what was right, back down and all was fine, Max ahead, Hamilton behind, but what Vettel did is for penalty, he pushed Max and caused contact with him on the previous corner and pushed Hamilton too while Hamilton was ahead of Vettel and cause another incident. If this doesn't desever a penalty then pushing cars with contact can become official strategy in F1 as long as it serves the needs (mainly make it interesting to the last race, which is a farse).

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Why is it becoming more and more acceptable for drivers to completely shove others off the racing track? It's getting worse each year. Vettel should definitely not hand that back IMO.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

SDLRob

Post by SDLRob »

Seb should have given the place back again
[Space for rent]

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

You got to hand that back surely
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Brundle's really losing it. I know I say this every time I watch Sky's coverage but he says at least a couple of things that just make me think he's much less alert than he used to be. He's got Bottas driving for Williams today. Also, he said Vettel wouldn't have hit Hamilton deliberately because he wouldn't risk damaging his front wing. It was already damaged in the exact place where Seb's car touched Lewis'.

I personally think he would have the presence of mind to know that and to try it on if he were that way inclined.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Clearly the rules no longer apply to Vettel. Just hand him the win FFS.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Vettel has to give that place back to Massa.
I think if you give someone no option to leave the track you can hardly complain if they overtake you off track.

zaar

Post by zaar »

What? Massa drove him off the track. He even steered in Vettels direction (perhaps he tried not to oversteer?).
Last edited by zaar on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

To be fair, Vettel had the inside line, he should have been left space...

BackwardsInFlames

Post by BackwardsInFlames »

I dare say whining about someone else's driving when you ran into the back of someone feels a tad hypocritical.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:Why is it becoming more and more acceptable for drivers to completely shove others off the racing track? It's getting worse each year. Vettel should definitely not hand that back IMO.
They shouldn't have a track limit on the outside of a corner.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

mikeyg123 wrote:
I think if you give someone no option to leave the track you can hardly complain if they overtake you off track.
No, you hit the brakes and try again. JHC do people think that Vettel is just entitled to everything?

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:Why is it becoming more and more acceptable for drivers to completely shove others off the racing track? It's getting worse each year. Vettel should definitely not hand that back IMO.
Massa hasn't shoved him off at all, where else is he meant to go? The onus is on the guy on the outside trying to brave it out to keep it together, he went off the track to pass Massa, should give the place back.

Looks like Vettel's head has gone either way, he absolutely had to stay out of trouble today and ended up having 2 bumps in the first 2 corners. That little diatribe over the radio shows where he is at.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Aspar

Post by Aspar »

Is there a problem with Hamilton's car? He is not gaining any places. I call this circus, and they wonder less and less people watch F1.
What, next race, Hamilton just rams Vettel, take them both out of the race and voila - no problems, valid strategy from what we see so far. Push cars, hit them and it's fine.

lamo

Post by lamo »

MasterRacer wrote:Seb is in quite a good position having done his pit stop. He could actually still win this.
50 seconds off the led and dropping 1.5 seconds per lap

Invade

Post by Invade »

I don't think Vettel should be asked to hand the position back or be given a 5-second penalty.

zaar

Post by zaar »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Massa hasn't shoved him off at all, where else is he meant to go?
He did. From his onboard it even looked deliberate.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Aspar wrote:Is there a problem with Hamilton's car? He is not gaining any places. I call this circus, and they wonder less and less people watch F1.
What, next race, Hamilton just rams Vettel, take them both out of the race and voila - no problems, valid strategy from what we see so far. Push cars, hit them and it's fine.
He has cruised up to Sainz at a rate of knots despite attempting to one stop those tyres, he was miles behind after that first lap, he is doing just fine.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Massa hasn't shoved him off at all, where else is he meant to go? The onus is on the guy on the outside trying to brave it out to keep it together, he went off the track to pass Massa, should give the place back.

Looks like Vettel's head has gone either way, he absolutely had to stay out of trouble today and ended up having 2 bumps in the first 2 corners. That little diatribe over the radio shows where he is at.
What? Vettel could very easily have kept it on the track but Massa would have smashed into the side of him.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Vettel looks to be punishing his tyres, I'm not sure he'll make the flag without pitting or easing off.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

I was expecting Hamilton to catch and overtake some of the monkeys at the back by now. Is his car crippled from the lap one incident?

Aspar

Post by Aspar »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Aspar wrote:Is there a problem with Hamilton's car? He is not gaining any places. I call this circus, and they wonder less and less people watch F1.
He has cruised up to Sainz at a rate of knots despite attempting to one stop those tyres, he was miles behind after that first lap, he is doing just fine.
Thanks for the info, can't get live timing to work atm for some reason and have no idea what the timings are, bar what the TV shows. Now I just saw he is just behind him.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Flash2k11 wrote:

Mass took the corner with way more speed than the car was capable of. Oversteering wildly in the corner clearly indicates this. He was out of control and shoved Vettel, who was clearly alongside and ahead going into the corner.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

What a Shame...
A WDC race Now ruined by a guy(Verstappen) who thinks he is still playing videogames.
This was the same stuff Verstappen did to Vettel in Canada.

Vettel had lost downforce after the contact today so he could not brake properly to avoid Hamilton.

What a shame. Good job.

chetan_rao

Post by chetan_rao »

Dodgy driving in modern F1 is akin to diving in football.

The authorities didn't stamp it out early, let it slide long enough that it's common practice now so much so that those not doing it often have their 'desire to win' called into question.

Not necessarily the case today and I'm definitely not anti-safety, but all those drivable run-offs have just made this worse. Drivers stretch and bend the rules because the track usually won't punish a mistake anymore, and the stewarding is inconsistent enough that the risk is usually lower than the potential reward of pulling one off.

Eternal question to FIA: Why can't we have a permanent panel of stewards?

neek

Post by neek »

This is poor from the merc/ham :/ not sure if there's damage...

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Shame about the first lap. I really think it was dicey but Vettel is the guy who made the contact happen there. Lets see how the race goes from here.

SDLRob

Post by SDLRob »

lewis Lapped.... but looks like he'll win the title anyway today
[Space for rent]

zaar

Post by zaar »

Pullrod wrote:What a Shame...
A WDC race Now ruined by a guy(Verstappen) who thinks he is still playing videogames.

Vettel had lost downforce after the contact today so he could not brake properly to avoid Hamilton.

What a shame. Good job.
That is a somewhat queer view of this incident, although I agree he touched Hamilton because of lost downforce. But the contact was up to Vettel to avoid. Racing incident from my pov

lamo

Post by lamo »

What a shame. Good job.
Are we watching the same race? Vettel pushed Verstappen off track on the exit of turn 1

Warheart01

Post by Warheart01 »

Hamiltons car must be damaged.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

lamo wrote:

What a shame. Good job.
Are we watching the same race? Vettel pushed Verstappen off track on the exit of turn 1
The rules dont apply to Vettel it seems.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

The Renault is quick, but Sainz can't pass Wehrlein...

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

lamo wrote:

What a shame. Good job.
Verstappen clipped Vettel front wing same as in Canada.
He should show more respect and be more sensible. Crazy stuff.