vettel/stroll. what the he'll happened there.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Herb Tarlik

Re: vettel/stroll. what the he'll happened there.

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Zoue wrote:
F1nut wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
moby wrote:

I think the rule is so track workers can move the car if needed. I dont think that would be an issue in this case though
The rules do not make exceptions for car condition.
How do you know this, since you seem reluctant / unable to produce the actual regulation when asked?
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: , The steering wheel rule has been that way since I can't remember when, big NO-NO.

Which begs the question, what trick switches were on the steering wheel which Vettel did not want others to see?
I know the general rule that the steering wheel needs to be replaced, but not that it applies in all situations with no exceptions. Seems to me if there's been a crash then there might be more flexibility? I thought the general idea was that it was needed to help the marshals wheel the car away, but if a car hasn't got all its wheels, what's the point? Just wanted clarification on that
Took me all of 1 minute to look up the relevant regulation. Too hard?

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1nut wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
The rules do not make exceptions for car condition.
How do you know this, since you seem reluctant / unable to produce the actual regulation when asked?
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: , The steering wheel rule has been that way since I can't remember when, big NO-NO.

Which begs the question, what trick switches were on the steering wheel which Vettel did not want others to see?
I know the general rule that the steering wheel needs to be replaced, but not that it applies in all situations with no exceptions. Seems to me if there's been a crash then there might be more flexibility? I thought the general idea was that it was needed to help the marshals wheel the car away, but if a car hasn't got all its wheels, what's the point? Just wanted clarification on that
I did a quick search and it didn't come up. As the person who was so adamant about the specifics, I assumed you knew exactly where it was. Is this a problem for you?

veffy

Post by veffy »

I found Vettel getting a lift with Pascal very charming despite it being frowned upon by the FIA

ToniWolf

Post by ToniWolf »

Which begs the question, what trick switches were on the steering wheel which Vettel did not want others to see?[/quote]
I know the general rule that the steering wheel needs to be replaced, but not that it applies in all situations with no exceptions. Seems to me if there's been a crash then there might be more flexibility? I thought the general idea was that it was needed to help the marshals wheel the car away, but if a car hasn't got all its wheels, what's the point? Just wanted clarification on that[/quote]
What was the hugely compelling factor that would force him to take the steering and make this situation an exception.? :uhoh:

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

ToniWolf wrote: What was the hugely compelling factor that would force him to take the steering and make this situation an exception.? :uhoh:
I don't know. It does seem a bit strange as to why he would do that. He seemed to be fiddling quite a bit so maybe he had trouble getting it back on? I was more curious about the potential penalty implications

ToniWolf

Post by ToniWolf »

Zoue wrote:
ToniWolf wrote: What was the hugely compelling factor that would force him to take the steering and make this situation an exception.? :uhoh:
I don't know. It does seem a bit strange as to why he would do that. He seemed to be fiddling quite a bit so maybe he had trouble getting it back on? I was more curious about the potential penalty implications
Hmmm..Strange to defend it then.!? :lol:

mds

Post by mds »

Herb wrote:
Rockie wrote:
slide wrote:suzy blaming seb
Lol, yes as her opinion is not linked to being to being the wife of the team principal.
She's married to neither Ferrari nor Williams TP...

She wasn't the only one putting the blame on Seb. DC did too.
Doesn't matter though does it? Vettel followed corner line, Stroll steered outwards. This wasn't even clumsy by Vettel, what he did happens ten times each cooldown lap after each race. Only now it's seen as clumsy because someone turned into him.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Both very acting very careless and drove into each other. Penalty for both, maybe 2 or 3 license points. Plus a fine for taking the steering wheel away. No penalty IMO for the lift, also that is prohibited as well, isn't it?

But of course nothing will happen since the stewarts look at the wdc as we know ...

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

https://streamable.com/yxg48

Stroll washes out to the right, but quite why Vettel needs to be going round him there, and that close to him is up for debate.

Edit: The real stuff will hit the fan when it comes to the steering wheel and the lift back to the pits. I dont think the Webber/Alonso precedent applies here because Vettel never left the track, although Wehrlein could probably be argued has stopped in a dangerous place. Taking the wheel with him is just bizarre though, and it suggests that they may have something to hide on it.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Without attaching blame you do have to wonder why Vettel is involved in yet another crash. None of the other top drivers have this issue, not only that his demeanour is as though its irrelevant. I get the feeling he is just going through the motions.

Is the fact that he will have to change the gearbox an issue for Ferrari?
Last edited by Option or Prime on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Option or Prime wrote:Without attaching blame you do have to wonder why Vettel is involved in yet another crash. None of the other top drivers have this issue, not only that his demeanour is as though its irrelevant. I get the feeling he has just going through the motions.

He finished the race with it intact, so if its now damaged and needs changing (and with a drive shaft ripped out of it like that, you'd imagine certainly) then the standard 5 place grid drop will apply.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:Without attaching blame you do have to wonder why Vettel is involved in yet another crash. None of the other top drivers have this issue, not only that his demeanour is as though its irrelevant. I get the feeling he has just going through the motions.

He finished the race with it intact, so if its now damaged and needs changing (and with a drive shaft ripped out of it like that, you'd imagine certainly) then the standard 5 place grid drop will apply.
If so that means he may well lose points to Hamilton then, doesn't that make it a clumsy thing to get involved with then. Don't you just keep clear?

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Option or Prime wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

If so that means he may well lose points to Hamilton then, doesn't that make it a clumsy thing to get involved with then. Don't you just keep clear?
Exactly.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

zaar

Post by zaar »

Flash2k11 wrote:https://streamable.com/yxg48

Stroll washes out to the right, but quite why Vettel needs to be going round him there, and that close to him is up for debate.

Edit: The real stuff will hit the fan when it comes to the steering wheel and the lift back to the pits. I dont think the Webber/Alonso precedent applies here because Vettel never left the track, although Wehrlein could probably be argued has stopped in a dangerous place. Taking the wheel with him is just bizarre though, and it suggests that they may have something to hide on it.
Vettel told in an interview, that he wanted to pick up marbles on the outside and that he suspects, that Stroll decided to do the same but somewhat late and all of a sudden.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

ToniWolf wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Oh, good grief. A little reading comprehension would be useful. I didn't defend it. I questioned what the ruling on it was :uhoh:

Herb

Post by Herb »

mds wrote:
Herb wrote:
Rockie wrote:
slide wrote:suzy blaming seb
Lol, yes as her opinion is not linked to being to being the wife of the team principal.
She's married to neither Ferrari nor Williams TP...

She wasn't the only one putting the blame on Seb. DC did too.
Doesn't matter though does it? Vettel followed corner line, Stroll steered outwards. This wasn't even clumsy by Vettel, what he did happens ten times each cooldown lap after each race. Only now it's seen as clumsy because someone turned into him.
I agree with you, dunno why you have got so defensive. I was just pointing out that Suzi has no reason to be biased here (unlike Rockie...).

I think at first, most commentators thought Vettel was to blame, only after further camera angles came to light has the general consensus shifted.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1nut wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I did a quick search and it didn't come up. As the person who was so adamant about the specifics, I assumed you knew exactly where it was. Is this a problem for you?
Wow....your searching ability seems to be the problem. .

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

ToniWolf wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Yes, indeed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1nut wrote:

Wow....your searching ability seems to be the problem. .
So what if it is? Is it really such a big deal for you to help out and back up what you are claiming?

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Zoue wrote:
So what if it is? Is it really such a big deal for you to help out and back up what you are claiming?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Replacing the steering wheel is such a basic rule. I no sooner have to prove that the FIA mandates cars have 4 wheels.

Going to the FIA website is child's play. Again, it took me all of 60 seconds to find the relevant rule.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Replacing the steering wheel is such a basic rule. I no sooner have to prove that the FIA mandates cars have 4 wheels.

Going to the FIA website is child's play. Again, it took me all of 60 seconds to find the relevant rule.
wow, clearly you do have a problem backing up what you say.

Congratulations on your 60 second search. I'm sure you're very proud.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:I don't understand why Vettel went to close to Stroll, he was not in a racing situation fighting for position, and cars move around on the in lap to collect rubber. Whether Stroll moved slightly right or not is irrelevant... Vettel should not have been passing another car within centimetres on a cool down lap.
Exactly although drivers do pass cars after the race, you're not really supposed to do it, why the need for Vettel to pass Stroll?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mcdo wrote:I actually always thought there was a rule that they had to put the steering wheel back in the car. No idea how they punish someone who breaks the rule. A fine is my guess
My understanding is that the steering has to be put on the car and the gearbox left in neutral so the stewards can push the car, however the stewards were not going to be pushing that car anywhere, send for the breakdown truck.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

jasonb

Post by jasonb »

At first I thought vettel was at fault. Seeing the other footage, I think it was just an unlucky clumsy move by both drivers. Stroll was picking up marbles like everyone else does, and just didn’t expect vettel to be there. Seb should have just hung back and not tried the overtake. Racing incident. I don’t think penalties should be applied. I’m not a vettel fan, but it would be unfortunate if Seb has a gearbox penalty next race.

mds

Post by mds »

pokerman wrote: Exactly although drivers do pass cars after the race, you're not really supposed to do it
Err what? This is new.

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

From this angle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ80ZLmhoFs), it looks like Stroll was going to go offline to pick-up marbles and also possibly giving way to the McLaren behind him. Apparently he did not see that Vettel also came up behind him and was in the process of overtaking.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:

wow, clearly you do have a problem backing up what you say.

Congratulations on your 60 second search. I'm sure you're very proud.
I'm inversely proud as you are embarrassed from being confirmed to lack the skill to find a simple rule at the FIA's web site.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

SmoothRide wrote:From this angle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ80ZLmhoFs), it looks like Stroll was going to go offline to pick-up marbles and also possibly giving way to the McLaren behind him. Apparently he did not see that Vettel also came up behind him and was in the process of overtaking.
What a brain cramp from Vettel. There simply is no need to overtake on the cool down lap.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Always watch mirrors is the lesson. If any blame is to be attached, it is with Stroll. He was carless. He was on the inside line there was at least 1 and half car width left by vettel while he was taking a turn and he was well ahead by the time Strolls front wight tyre hit Vettel. At those slow speeds has he been looking, he should have seen Vettel on the outside even if he missed mirrors and could have avoided contact. From other angles you clearly see he does not realise what is happening until he actually hits Vettel's back tyre.

You could argue Vettel should not have been there, but thats grasping for straws. There is no racing happening, and they are cruising home, if you really suggest one driver must go even wider than what is considered more than reasonable distance even during full speed race, then its just plain stupid argument. Had something like this happened during race, it would have been slam dunk penalty for Stroll. Only because it happened at low speeds after the race has ended, both drivers are walking free.

You are not safe until you park the car, there should be no excuse to ignore watching your surroundings until that happens.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:From this angle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ80ZLmhoFs), it looks like Stroll was going to go offline to pick-up marbles and also possibly giving way to the McLaren behind him. Apparently he did not see that Vettel also came up behind him and was in the process of overtaking.
What a brain cramp from Vettel. There simply is no need to overtake on the cool down lap.
Should Ferrari have a 1-2 at Suzuka which they have been threatening since Singapore, I suspect you are going to have a meltdown of epic proportions.

I have never seen such, you are so fixated on Vettel and him getting a penalty though the driver you support is 30+ points ahead but what you are projecting here is fear as you know Ferrari is going to come good soon.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Rockie wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Should Ferrari have a 1-2 at Suzuka which they have been threatening since Singapore, I suspect you are going to have a meltdown of epic proportions.

I have never seen such, you are so fixated on Vettel and him getting a penalty though the driver you support is 30+ points ahead but what you are projecting here is fear as you know Ferrari is going to come good soon.
The irony in this post is scarcely believable.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
So if somebody drives into the side of you while you are passing them on a two-lane road, it's you who had a brain cramp? Vettel held a steady line and Stroll didn't. The McLaren behind Stroll was also about to get ahead as this happens routinely on a cool down lap.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

You can point out where the irony is?

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

SmoothRide wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
So if somebody drives into the side of you while you are passing them on a two-lane road, it's you who had a brain cramp? Vettel held a steady line and Stroll didn't. The McLaren behind Stroll was also about to get ahead as this happens routinely on a cool down lap.
Different situation so your comparison is not valid. There simply is no need to overtake on the cool down lap.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Different situation so your comparison is not valid. There simply is no need to overtake on the cool down lap.
Yet Hamilton went past Max.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Rockie wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

You can point out where the irony is?
Calling someone up on their fixation with Vettel.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

MarioUK

Post by MarioUK »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
I have watched F1 for over 20 years, and I cannot think of a race where there wasn't overtaking on the cool down lap, and to suggest otherwise suggests blinded judgement. Winning drivers for instance slow down to wave at the crowd, teammates catch each other up to drive round together, some drivers slow down to get marbles wherever others do not.

You have a cause to denigrate Vettel, however you are doing your cause no good at all, because your arguments are becoming increasingly ridiculous and it calls into question your judgement on everything else.

mds

Post by mds »

MarioUK wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
I have watched F1 for over 20 years, and I cannot think of a race where there wasn't overtaking on the cool down lap, and to suggest otherwise suggests blinded judgement.
I have watched F1 for tens of years, F3, F2, GP3, GP2, FR3.5, FR2.0, Porsche, Abarth,MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, WSBK, BSB, WSS, you name it.

I have never seen a single race where there weren't multiple cases of riders/drivers passing by others.

This is clutching at straws at its finest. This was not clumsy, not weird, not unusual by Vettel. This is done everywhere all the time.

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Professional drivers should be more and not less alert than any average driver. If it's a different situation, then it's even worse for Stroll.

There is nothing in the rules about not overtaking on the cool down lap. It's the norm to do it for a number of reasons. Some drivers go extra slow to pick up rubber while others want to go faster to get air into the engine.

Migen

Post by Migen »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Yet, overtakings on cool down laps are very common, with winners or drivers in their home GP going slow on their celebration often get overtaken and in some cases where it involves lapped cars, overtaking in the cool down lap might even be a "necessity". E.g: only the winner lapped certain car, but the other 2 podium finishers need to get in front of that lapped car too, depending on the parking layout of each track or even instructions given for a specific track.

Vettel did nothing wrong... he simply did not account that Stroll was day-dreaming at the time. But it doesnt surprise me that you`d still find something as ridiculous as that to blame on Vettel.