2017 Singapore Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

2017 Singapore Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

With atleast 1 safety car period expected, it could be a lottery of sorts.

If Hamilton manages to finish on the podium, it would be a great achievement on a track where Mercedes are deemed to be weak.
Feel The Fourth

lamo

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by lamo »

One Red Bull will beat Vettel by splitting there strategies, they are happy to do it and Vettel can't cover both of them. If they can hold 2-3 on the first lap they have a very good chance.

F1Oz

Post by F1Oz »

Interesting view Lamo - so who gets what strategy?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

I hope Max gets through the 1st few corners without any collisions.
Feel The Fourth

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

lamo wrote:One Red Bull will beat Vettel by splitting there strategies, they are happy to do it and Vettel can't cover both of them. If they can hold 2-3 on the first lap they have a very good chance.
RBR will have a shot if they can stay in touch with the Ferrari. If Vettel pulls a 4-5 second gap in the first stint, then it won't really matter.

lamo

Post by lamo »

F1Oz wrote:Interesting view Lamo - so who gets what strategy?
Unless Vettel really surprises with his race pace, the Red Bulls should be able to follow him. This race is either 1 or 2 stop, Ricciardo would have won last year if the race was 1 lap longer. SC will play a big part too. There is always one or two and if you've pitted just before it comes out you are going to lose out.

Assuming no SC, if Vettel pits early to avoid being undercut then Red Bull can mirror him with 1 car and let the other go really long and maybe try a 1 stopper or an offset 2 stopper with US finish. If Vettel tries a 1 stopper then they can 2 stop 1 car. Lots of options for Red Bull, if they have the race pace they have a very good chance.

Hamiltons task is to get 4th which would be a good result or a podium if a top 3 guy retires.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Yeah Vettel's race pace is key, and I have a feeling he might just pull away from everyone. He is really superb here, we cannot forget that.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Be interesting to see if he wants to keep playing chicken with the walls if the Red Bull pace really turns up the heat on him.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

This race is in Vettel's pocket. I can see LH robbing KR and getting 4th.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

lamo wrote:
F1Oz wrote:Interesting view Lamo - so who gets what strategy?
Unless Vettel really surprises with his race pace, the Red Bulls should be able to follow him. This race is either 1 or 2 stop, Ricciardo would have won last year if the race was 1 lap longer. SC will play a big part too. There is always one or two and if you've pitted just before it comes out you are going to lose out.

Assuming no SC, if Vettel pits early to avoid being undercut then Red Bull can mirror him with 1 car and let the other go really long and maybe try a 1 stopper or an offset 2 stopper with US finish. If Vettel tries a 1 stopper then they can 2 stop 1 car. Lots of options for Red Bull, if they have the race pace they have a very good chance.

Hamiltons task is to get 4th which would be a good result or a podium if a top 3 guy retires.
You forget the race pace you are comparing is Vettel on the softs vs the Bulls on the ultrasoft.

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

Kimi has one job tomorrow - stop Hamilton getting ahead of him at any cost. Even if it means a double DNF then so be it.

I'm very confident Seb can see off the Red Bulls. He's supreme here.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

MasterRacer wrote:Kimi has one job tomorrow - stop Hamilton getting ahead of him at any cost. Even if it means a double DNF then so be it.

Your posts get worse every grand prix weekend.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

How many safety car outings can we expect tomorrow? In 10 grand prix at Singapore, every race has had atleast 1 safety car outing.

Too many wall brushes have taken place till now. This could be a deciding factor tomorrow.
Feel The Fourth

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

UnlikeUday wrote:How many safety car outings can we expect tomorrow? In 10 grand prix at Singapore, every race has had atleast 1 safety car outing.

Too many wall brushes have taken place till now. This could be a deciding factor tomorrow.
Predicting 2

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

After such a nail biting qualifying, here's some refreshment:

Feel The Fourth

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Tomorrows race will be decided by how sensible Max is at the front. I hope he does not do stupid lunge in first corner to take lead. But I have a bad feeling about it x(

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

funkymonkey wrote:Tomorrows race will be decided by how sensible Max is at the front. I hope he does not do stupid lunge in first corner to take lead. But I have a bad feeling about it x(
I'm hoping for an 18 car pile up.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

funkymonkey wrote:Tomorrows race will be decided by how sensible Max is at the front. I hope he does not do stupid lunge in first corner to take lead. But I have a bad feeling about it x(
You can surely say he's vulnerable. But if he does manage to reach the 2nd lap, am expecting some great racing from him & Ricciardo even.
Feel The Fourth

trento

Post by trento »

Ennis wrote:
only possible if it rains

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

MasterRacer wrote:Kimi has one job tomorrow - stop Hamilton getting ahead of him at any cost. Even if it means a double DNF then so be it.

Hi Flavio - is that you?

mas

Post by mas »

Ennis wrote:
Just the first three will be ok for me so I can clean up on some long odds on any of Kimi, Hulk and both Mercedes/McLaren drivers. 😁

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

It is so hard to believe that the only trouble free weekend for both drivers in Red Bull this year was in Monaco. All the others involved either a retirement in the race, reliability problems which affected qualifying, or some mistake that cost the team a better result. We have seen so little time of Verstappen and Ricciardo racing each other.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

How often this season have both Red Bulls finished the race? If one drops out and Hamilton gets past Kimi then that puts him on the podium, I agree Kimi is key to the overall result. Somehow though I will be surprised if the first 5 laps are incident free, that includes Hamilton being desperate to make up places!

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Verstappen will take Vettel out at turn 1.

lamo

Post by lamo »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:It is so hard to believe that the only trouble free weekend for both drivers in Red Bull this year was in Monaco. All the others involved either a retirement in the race, reliability problems which affected qualifying, or some mistake that cost the team a better result. We have seen so little time of Verstappen and Ricciardo racing each other.
Also one of the only occasions Hamilton has been behind a Red Bull all season and both finished and ahead of him. The same will probably happen tomorrow.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

I can't help but think Max will be sold down the river to force Vettel into the pits while Ricciardo goes long and pits under the inevitable safety car. It will be interesting to see whether the undercut or overcut works this weekend. I suspect it's still better to undercut as it's more powerful in terms of lap time.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

For the title picture, all that matters is if Vettel finishes ahead of Hamilton. That is very simple for this race.

But with the usual order mixed up, we have the prospect of a very exciting race. That's all I desire, not 2 interesting laps at the start then a boring procession. Once again, the possibilities are exciting, I hope this race is a good one.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

lamo

Post by lamo »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:For the title picture, all that matters is if Vettel finishes ahead of Hamilton. That is very simple for this race.

But with the usual order mixed up, we have the prospect of a very exciting race. That's all I desire, not 2 interesting laps at the start then a boring procession. Once again, the possibilities are exciting, I hope this race is a good one.
Do you think? I think Vettel needs to win tomorrow, nothing less. If he comes 2nd and Hamilton 5th, its a bad result for Vettel. He would leave with a 3 point championship lead with 6 to go and no tracks left that Mercedes would seem to be weak on.

Vettel has only won 2 of the last 10 races, Monaco and Hungary - the two other strong Ferrari tracks, he has to win on this one for me, especially with Hamilton so far back - its like winning 2 races (+7 for a normal win with Hamilton 2nd) if he puts 13-15 points on Hamilton here.
Last edited by lamo on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

I think Kimi has a great chance to get at least one of the bulls for a Ferrari 1-3 - I suspect they will be busy trying to force Vettel's hand, and at least one of them will end up with a sub-optimal strategy.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

lamo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:It is so hard to believe that the only trouble free weekend for both drivers in Red Bull this year was in Monaco. All the others involved either a retirement in the race, reliability problems which affected qualifying, or some mistake that cost the team a better result. We have seen so little time of Verstappen and Ricciardo racing each other.
Also one of the only occasions Hamilton has been behind a Red Bull all season and both finished and ahead of him. The same will probably happen tomorrow.
Why couldn't RB take there engine penalties this weekend :lol: Both cars would have beaten Vettel in Monza.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

People won't like this post, but the truth is, this is likely exactly what Ferrari are telling Kimi right now.

lamo

Post by lamo »

KingVoid wrote:
People won't like this post, but the truth is, this is likely exactly what Ferrari are telling Kimi right now.
If Hamilton pulls anything like Bahrain 2014 type cuts on Kimi then Kimi (who is a very clean driver for me) will probably stand his ground and allow contact. Hamilton know this and I doubt he will go wheel to wheel with Kimi in such a way.

The same for Vettel, it will be interesting if Max gets his front wheels past Vettels rears on the run into turn 1. They have hit each other twice this year at turn 1 already and Max has had contact himself at turn 1-2, lap 1 a total of 4 times I believe.

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

We still on track for rain?

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

KingVoid wrote:
I doubt it. Ferrari don't even appear to have told him he isn't to fight Vettel as he tried to defend his position last race and Vettel had to overtake him legitimately. Which while I don't like team orders seems crazy to me, surely Mercedes and Ferrari have realised that it's Hamilton/Vettel for the title by now?

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

If Max hits Vettel at the start, Seb will go absolutely bonkers and not in a good way.

Max needs to be careful though. It's all well and good now, but when/if he finds himself in a WDC challenging position in the near future, Vettel will be more than happy to return the favor.
Last edited by KingVoid on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Ennis wrote:We still on track for rain?
Don't think so. I have it showing as dry from 17:00 to 02:00 local time at Singapore. Not sure when the race is run but think it's before midnight so no rain forecast.

It's always the same here, every year rain is forecast and every year nothing comes of it.

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

I heard something about the race organizers chemically altering the air to ensure that it never actually rains during the race.

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
I doubt it. Ferrari don't even appear to have told him he isn't to fight Vettel as he tried to defend his position last race and Vettel had to overtake him legitimately. Which while I don't like team orders seems crazy to me, surely Mercedes and Ferrari have realised that it's Hamilton/Vettel for the title by now?
Ferrari have tried to use Kimi to cause Hamilton problems in previous races, even sacrificing his points for a suboptimal strategy. This is the race where he actually has a real chance to do a big job for Ferrari. The Ferrari car is much better here, it's almost impossible to overtake, and Hamilton will be desperate to try some impossible move.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

MasterRacer wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
Ferrari have tried to use Kimi to cause Hamilton problems in previous races, even sacrificing his points for a suboptimal strategy. This is the race where he actually has a real chance to do a big job for Ferrari. The Ferrari car is much better here, it's almost impossible to overtake, and Hamilton will be desperate to try some impossible move.
It's not impossible to overtake here. The one with the best tyre management skills would have an advantage.

It's proven in the past that after a pitstop usually during the closing stages of the race, drivers get past other cars due to better grip & traction out of corners.
Feel The Fourth

Deep_blue

Post by Deep_blue »

UnlikeUday wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
It's not impossible to overtake here. The one with the best tyre management skills would have an advantage.

It's proven in the past that after a pitstop usually during the closing stages of the race, drivers get past other cars due to better grip & traction out of corners.
I recall Perez overtaking 4-5 cars in the final laps after a pitstop, I believe it was in 2015