RACE DISTANCE: 308.052 KM

LAP RECORD: 1:47.263
By Sebastian Vettel (2009)

Tyres:
Purple-marked ultrasoft tyre
Red-marked supersoft tyre
Yellow-marked medium tyre

Press Conference:
Part 1: Esteban Ocon (Force India), Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren) and Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
Part 2: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes), Felipe Massa (Williams) and Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)

Source - http://www.automobilsport.com
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Re: 2017 Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Threa

Post by UnlikeUday »

Weather predicted:

Friday - Overcast
Saturday - Rain
Sunday - Heavy rain anticipated throughout the race

http://www.planetf1.com/news/spa-braced ... e-weekend/
Last edited by UnlikeUday on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Lets start with some McLaren news!

Vandoorne gets a 35 place grid penalty for getting a brand new Spec-3 Honda engine:
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2304 ... or-home-gp
Feel The Fourth

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

UnlikeUday wrote:Lets start with some McLaren news!

Vandoorne gets a 35 place grid penalty for getting a brand new Spec-3 Honda engine:
That's not news anymore!

paul_gmb

Post by paul_gmb »

Siao7 wrote:

That's not news anymore!
i do hope at least they go mad and are testing a crazy spec.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

paul_gmb wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

That's not news anymore!
i do hope at least they go mad and are testing a crazy spec.
I can see the news already:

Vandoorne 9th from 35 places down!

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Haas adding some colour to their bland livery: Sauber will also be tweaking it's livery.
Feel The Fourth

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

UnlikeUday wrote:Weather predicted:

Friday - Overcast
Saturday - Rain

So Friday will be useless for practice because it will be dry, and Saturday practice will be useful only if the rain falls for FP3.

Spa with rain is a very dangerous combination. I hope we will not remember it by some other things except for the race itself.
The end is near

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:Weather predicted:

Friday - Overcast
Saturday - Rain

So Friday will be useless for practice because it will be dry, and Saturday practice will be useful only if the rain falls for FP3.

Spa with rain is a very dangerous combination. I hope we will not remember it by some other things except for the race itself.
That's not quite the forecast I read on the official Belgian weather service page. It would be fantastic if they could already predict rain throughout the race, when time after time we've seen predictions during the races end up wrong. I'm not saying it won't rain on Sunday, but it seems tomorrow risks being worse. Then again, this is Francorchamps we are talking about. Its microclimate will probably turn out blazing sunshine all weekend... (No, unlikely. But let's keep our fingers crossed, I don't know whether the Raidillon grandstand is covered. :( )

http://www.meteo.be/meteo/view/en/65239-Home.html
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

Has it been confirmed anywhere if Felipe Massa has recovered from his illness and will be ok to drive this weekend?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

We get about one rain effected race per every 15 predictions for rain effected races.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Can anyone remember the years when there were no wet races in the whole season?

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

owenmahamilton wrote:Has it been confirmed anywhere if Felipe Massa has recovered from his illness and will be ok to drive this weekend?
He was part of the drivers press Conference and said himself that he felt good and was ready to go. What he suffered from was Vertigo.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

owenmahamilton wrote:Has it been confirmed anywhere if Felipe Massa has recovered from his illness and will be ok to drive this weekend?
Massa will be racing in Spa:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/872743/1/m ... spa-by-fia
Feel The Fourth

Warheart01

Post by Warheart01 »

As always, hoping for Hamilton pole, win and WDC-lead. :D

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

I have a feeling Hamilton's engine might go bang bang bang this weekend.

Everything is seemingly setup for the racing god to take home the 25 points. Could there be a sting in the tale for the messiah of motorsport? We will see.

I think the Ferrari's will run Mercedes a lot closer than people expect anyway and if Hamilton does DNF Bottas will be under huge pressure to deliver the result for the team.

Oh and it's great to have F1 back! It should be a great weekend.

cmax

Post by cmax »

MasterRacer wrote:I have a feeling Hamilton's engine might go bang bang bang this weekend.

Everything is seemingly setup for the racing god to take home the 25 points. Could there be a sting in the tale for the messiah of motorsport? We will see.

I think the Ferrari's will run Mercedes a lot closer than people expect anyway and if Hamilton does DNF Bottas will be unde
r huge pressure to deliver the result for the team.

That is interesting as I have a feeling the mere mortal's engine will go burst and he wouldn't be able to do anything about it orher than retire.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

MasterRacer wrote:I have a feeling Hamilton's engine might go bang bang bang this weekend.

I think the Ferrari's will run Mercedes a lot closer than people expect anyway and if Hamilton does DNF Bottas will be under huge pressure to deliver the result for the team.

If Hamilton retires, Bottas would be more than happy to win. Not only would he limit Vettel's scoring potential at the Spa but would also improve his chances in the WDC fight.

However, Bottas or Vettel could suffer the same fate. Apart from being on the competitive edge, engine parts durability could play a crucial role.
Feel The Fourth

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

I know Crofty bashing is a bit easy but seriously what is he doing? He just interrupted Ted from talking about the work on Wehrlein's car (explaining the parts we could see on screen) to talk to him about Wehrlein's hairstyle.

He shouldn't be doing practice commentary, he clearly doesn't care about it as he is always trying to talk about anything but what is on screen.

Edit: I now see it's on Channel 4 this weekend, nevermind :]

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

F1 is back and the same posters posting there usual rubbish.

Basically you think Hamilton is the favourite, you're worried so you want his engine to go bang. You don't have a feeling, it's what you want.

Why would anyone come on to a practice thread and talk about will there be a sting in the tale regarding Hamilton's engine, it's pretty obvious what you really mean :lol: .
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Interesting we had a thread about this year's racing how we said we were happy to see drivers being able to race hard on the tyres so what do Pirelli bring to Spa, tyres that are not suitable for the track in order to create more pit stops and to spice up the show, tyres that will have to be nursed especially in the first part of the race.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

I dont want to start a new thread on this so I'll vent here but my god the halo is butt frick'en UGLY. Those photos with the halo on the cars are some of THE worst F1 pics I've seen in a loooong time.

I wish I had the time to travel to Texas this year to see the GP. Probably the last time I'll ever attempt to see F1 live. The new cars are just beyond horrible looking and for me personally, suck my passion for the sport until there is very little left.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

pokerman wrote:Interesting we had a thread about this year's racing how we said we were happy to see drivers being able to race hard on the tyres so what do Pirelli bring to Spa, tyres that are not suitable for the track in order to create more pit stops and to spice up the show, tyres that will have to be nursed especially in the first part of the race.
Sounds absolutely brilliant. This year most races have been boring at the front with being able to do nearly race distances on the softest compound. I think F1 is a joke for that.
Why do people want to be able to race hard on tyres when you can't even overtake, at least this way strategies are taken into account and theres a slight chance of an overtake. One stoppers are the worst kind of a races to watch.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Good to see Guy Martin stepping in as a Williams mechanic! :thumbup:

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Mr-E wrote:Good to see Guy Martin stepping in as a Williams mechanic! :thumbup:
He came at the right time. Massa's car needs his help!
Feel The Fourth

Alex53

Post by Alex53 »

Do any races still use the old, longer Spa or part of it? Or is it not usable any more?

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Good point by Chandhok, if Ferrari feel that they will need to take a grid penalty before the end of the season for components this would be the place to do it, something to watch out for this evening.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Alex53 wrote:Do any races still use the old, longer Spa or part of it? Or is it not usable any more?
Brundle did a piece on the old Spa circuit for Sky a few years ago - someone has put it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1KTNnAEc28

Alex53

Post by Alex53 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Alex53 wrote:Do any races still use the old, longer Spa or part of it? Or is it not usable any more?
Brundle did a piece on the old Spa circuit for Sky a few years ago - someone has put it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1KTNnAEc28
Beautiful!

I wish it had been possible to make it safer without shortening it.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

The old part of Spa are public roads and not raced on anymore.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

pokerman wrote:Interesting we had a thread about this year's racing how we said we were happy to see drivers being able to race hard on the tyres so what do Pirelli bring to Spa, tyres that are not suitable for the track in order to create more pit stops and to spice up the show, tyres that will have to be nursed especially in the first part of the race.
While Pirelli come up with which compounds will be used at each circuit, there are now 3 instead of just the 2, and the teams decide how many of each they want. The teams also get to make their choices known much closer to the time the race is to be held so they have a better idea of how the compounds work with their cars.

Most of the teams took the bulk of their allocation in the Ultra Softs so if they're not getting the life it's their own fault.
{Insert clever sig line here}

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

So far looks like Lewis has things under control but Ferrari is not as far off as I thought they'd be.
Raikonnen has the pace on Vettel, as expected since he is mega around this track.
But looking at the sector time it seems Vettel is about half a second slower than his teammate in the second sector but faster in the first. Probably running less downforce than Kimi?
The forecast has changed to now a dry race, with wet qualifying...
Ferrari will be hoping for rain I think.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Interestingly Ferrari looking stronger on the long runs than Mercedes were. Hamilton's best time on his ultra soft stint was 1:50.4, Bottas' was 1:50.3, while Vettel set two laps of a 1:49.6. Kimi ran softs but he was also very strong with a best lap of 1:50.3.

Rain interrupted the runs though so it's possible Vettel was just working his tyres harder and they would have gone off a lot quicker.

moby

Post by moby »

Alex53 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Beautiful!

I wish it had been possible to make it safer without shortening it.
No good for audiences today. If they have to sit for more than 20 seconds without a car passing they go to make tea.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

So Kimi FP1 and Lewis FP2.

Vettel quicker on the long stints.

Should be interesting to say the least

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Nobody has been even close to their true pace with the kind of practice sessions we had. If weather plays part, none of this is going to matter on Sunday. Rainy race is going to be pure lottery here.

I wont play too much into Mercedes 1 lap pace or Vettel's long run pace at the moment. Vettel himself said he wasn't happy with the car and himself. And you can bet a million $ that Mercedes can go much quicker than this in qualifying. In fact even Ferrari will.

Today has been a bust as far as judging the real pace of the cars or how their summer upgrades are panning out. Teams will have better idea due to data, but we, the fans can draw no conclusion from today.

LBET

Post by LBET »

F1_Ernie wrote:

Basically you think Hamilton is the favourite, you're worried so you want his engine to go bang. You don't have a feeling, it's what you want.

Why would anyone come on to a practice thread and talk about will there be a sting in the tale regarding Hamilton's engine, it's pretty obvious what you really mean :lol: .
Agreed. Much like working in a stable, it takes but a short while before your senses adjust and the stench of you know what fades into the background. Based on nothing but bias and speculation I have a feeling that aliens will interrupt this weekends race to take Max back home to Alphacenturi. Gotta love "feelings 'eh?

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

F1_Ernie wrote:

Well the last and only time I posted a prediction about Hamilton's engine it did go bang. Hamilton is the big favourite and expected to win, but I've observed quite often things don't pan out so well when he's expected to cruise to an easy win. To be fair, it's not always his fault - and if his engine does indeed go up in smoke that would be really unfortunate luck for him.

Anyway Ferrari race pace looks OK but I think everyone knows Mercedes were holding back. I'm still hopeful of a decent race. With the possibility of rain in qualifying, the grid could get mixed up nicely a bit too.

cm97

Post by cm97 »

F1_Ernie wrote:

Calls Lewis the racing racing messiah but has a feeling the engine may go bang...Yep clearly another Hamilton detractor. :lol:
I think Alonso's engine will go bang. Does that make me a detractor too?
#Keep Fighting Michael

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

cm97 wrote:Calls Lewis the racing racing messiah but has a feeling the engine may go bang...Yep clearly another Hamilton detractor. :lol:
I think Alonso's engine will go bang. Does that make me a detractor too?
MasterRacer is a well-known Hamilton detractor. Not everyone who thinks his engine might fail is going to be anti-Hamilton, but there's not much doubt he is.

As for you, saying Alonso's engine will fail just qualifies you as realistic. :lol: x(
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion