So Alonso posts the fastest lap time, last lap by .3?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Exediron

Re: So Alonso posts the fastest lap time, last lap by .3?

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:What do you think looks better winning a race or setting fastest lap, I'm saying that Alonso does it specifically to keep himself relevant which judging by this thread he achieved his goal, Hamilton's motive wasn't to keep himself relevant, he's been more than relevant these past 4 seasons.
Judging by this thread you want to keep him relevant, since you can't seem to stop bringing up his fastest lap...
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:Well I guess I see this as an extension of what Brundle inferred about Alonso, it's all about keeping himself relevant, you think that Hamilton is getting fastest lap just to keep himself relevant?

Interesting you bring Renault into this, did he not accuse Renault of not helping him enough, that was sort of humiliating the team.
So it's ok as long as you are not risking losing relevance by not doing it? Can we have a list of such drivers for future relevance?
What extra did it gain Hamilton who won the race anyway, however as for Alonso people can't stop talking about it and that's why he tries to do it.
Well as I said, the fastest laps were the only items missing from completing the grand slams so there's that.... Ironically you can't seem to stop talking about Alonso's fastest lap.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:Well I guess I see this as an extension of what Brundle inferred about Alonso, it's all about keeping himself relevant, you think that Hamilton is getting fastest lap just to keep himself relevant?

Interesting you bring Renault into this, did he not accuse Renault of not helping him enough, that was sort of humiliating the team.
So it's ok as long as you are not risking losing relevance by not doing it? Can we have a list of such drivers for future relevance?
What extra did it gain Hamilton who won the race anyway, however as for Alonso people can't stop talking about it and that's why he tries to do it.
If Alonso is only doing it to look good then so is Hamilton. What other reason could he have when he's risking the victory on the off chance he makes a mistake?

Unless you think he's maybe... just having some fun by going fast and pushing, like a racing driver would? ;)
What do you think looks better winning a race or setting fastest lap, I'm saying that Alonso does it specifically to keep himself relevant which judging by this thread he achieved his goal, Hamilton's motive wasn't to keep himself relevant, he's been more than relevant these past 4 seasons.
So what is Hamilton's motive? You think that Alonso must be trying to show off and it's not possible he's just enjoying himself by setting some fast laps. So logically the same must be true of Hamilton?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:What do you think looks better winning a race or setting fastest lap, I'm saying that Alonso does it specifically to keep himself relevant which judging by this thread he achieved his goal, Hamilton's motive wasn't to keep himself relevant, he's been more than relevant these past 4 seasons.
Judging by this thread you want to keep him relevant, since you can't seem to stop bringing up his fastest lap...
Did I start the thread?

Also I'm not exactly keeping him relevant in a positive way, Maldonado had lots of threads about him for instance.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Well as I said, the fastest laps were the only items missing from completing the grand slams so there's that.... Ironically you can't seem to stop talking about Alonso's fastest lap.
Yes that's probably why Hamilton did it, like I said different from Alonso's motivation to do it.

What's wrong talking about the reason why Alonso tends to do this quite often?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:So it's ok as long as you are not risking losing relevance by not doing it? Can we have a list of such drivers for future relevance?
If Alonso is only doing it to look good then so is Hamilton. What other reason could he have when he's risking the victory on the off chance he makes a mistake?

Unless you think he's maybe... just having some fun by going fast and pushing, like a racing driver would? ;)
What do you think looks better winning a race or setting fastest lap, I'm saying that Alonso does it specifically to keep himself relevant which judging by this thread he achieved his goal, Hamilton's motive wasn't to keep himself relevant, he's been more than relevant these past 4 seasons.
So what is Hamilton's motive? You think that Alonso must be trying to show off and it's not possible he's just enjoying himself by setting some fast laps. So logically the same must be true of Hamilton?
I think it's been said that maybe Hamilton was just going for the grand chelem which perhaps wouldn't be too difficult for him to do given that he was the fastest driver/car combination, rather than firing up all the bells and whistles that Alonso does.

Regarding Alonso I'm not saying that he is showing off but just that there is a method to what he is doing which relates to possible further employment.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

It's also worth noting that a fastest lap for Alonso is a fastest lap for McLaren-Honda. As much as he may be put into the spotlight for it, the team probably benefits from a bit of positive publicity too. One might see this as win-win: good for the employee, good for the employer.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote: So it's ok as long as you are not risking losing relevance by not doing it? Can we have a list of such drivers for future relevance?
Yes that's probably why Hamilton did it, like I said different from Alonso's motivation to do it.

I really don't see how it's so different. And how often does he tend to do it, relative to other drivers?
This has got to be the first time I'm defending Alonso, but there's a limit to everything.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

tootsie323 wrote:It's also worth noting that a fastest lap for Alonso is a fastest lap for McLaren-Honda. As much as he may be put into the spotlight for it, the team probably benefits from a bit of positive publicity too. One might see this as win-win: good for the employee, good for the employer.
One might, but apparently pokerman has already decided everything Alonso does is purely for his own benefit, and giving McLaren good publicity is only a tangential side-effect.
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

The thread wouldn't have made it past halfway of page 1 if it wasn't for your claims and I don't remember much fuss the last time he got the FL so I don't think most people care half as much as you do so if he was doing it to stay relevant he would have stopped after the complete non-reaction the last time he got the FL.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote: What extra did it gain Hamilton who won the race anyway, however as for Alonso people can't stop talking about it and that's why he tries to do it.

I think it's been said that maybe Hamilton was just going for the grand chelem which perhaps wouldn't be too difficult for him to do given that he was the fastest driver/car combination, rather than firing up all the bells and whistles that Alonso does.

Regarding Alonso I'm not saying that he is showing off but just that there is a method to what he is doing which relates to possible further employment.
We know he's been doing it since 2015 though so we can safely say it's got nothing to do with his contract running down this year.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote: So it's ok as long as you are not risking losing relevance by not doing it? Can we have a list of such drivers for future relevance?

That's some talent you have for knowing everyone's motivation.

Nothing, but to be clear it's what you think the reason is rather than it being the actual reason you understand?. Unless you're Alonso, which would be a great twist no doubt.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

tootsie323 wrote:It's also worth noting that a fastest lap for Alonso is a fastest lap for McLaren-Honda. As much as he may be put into the spotlight for it, the team probably benefits from a bit of positive publicity too. One might see this as win-win: good for the employee, good for the employer.
It has to be Alonso going for it though, we can't have him being upstaged. ;)

Moreso with most things though I think it's a case of keeping Alonso happy.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
One might, but apparently pokerman has already decided everything Alonso does is purely for his own benefit, and giving McLaren good publicity is only a tangential side-effect.
Yes indeed that's what I think of Alonso.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:

Considering that he only set it by .3, and he's more than that faster than Vandoorne on average, you'd have to figure only he could have got it.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:So it's ok as long as you are not risking losing relevance by not doing it? Can we have a list of such drivers for future relevance?

The thread wouldn't have made it past halfway of page 1 if it wasn't for your claims and I don't remember much fuss the last time he got the FL so I don't think most people care half as much as you do so if he was doing it to stay relevant he would have stopped after the complete non-reaction the last time he got the FL.
I don't remember there being a thread about it before?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:If Alonso is only doing it to look good then so is Hamilton. What other reason could he have when he's risking the victory on the off chance he makes a mistake?

We know he's been doing it since 2015 though so we can safely say it's got nothing to do with his contract running down this year.
This is true maybe I was being a bit generous with him then and it's down to pure ego.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Considering that he only set it by .3, and he's more than that faster than Vandoorne on average, you'd have to figure only he could have got it.
That wasn't always the case with Button though.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote: What extra did it gain Hamilton who won the race anyway, however as for Alonso people can't stop talking about it and that's why he tries to do it.

Exactly, no-one really cares about the FL so not sure why you think he thinks it would keep him relevant.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote: What do you think looks better winning a race or setting fastest lap, I'm saying that Alonso does it specifically to keep himself relevant which judging by this thread he achieved his goal, Hamilton's motive wasn't to keep himself relevant, he's been more than relevant these past 4 seasons.

This is true maybe I was being a bit generous with him then and it's down to pure ego.
Yeah because those are the only two options on the table and he couldn't possibly be doing it because fuel saving and race pace in the McHonda is coma inducing to him and doing quali laps when in no danger is much more fun. Or for pretty much the same reasons anyone tries to get the FL.

You must secretly hate Lewis being so ego driven as to try and chalk up a grand chelem by doing the FL. There's nothing in it for Mercedes, you don't get extra points for it, It is entirely a driver related stat and only benefits his own personal stats.

100% unadulterated pure ego trip to risk turning it up and pushing for a FL when cruising to an easy win for yourself and your team wouldn't you say?.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:If Alonso is only doing it to look good then so is Hamilton. What other reason could he have when he's risking the victory on the off chance he makes a mistake?

Exactly, no-one really cares about the FL so not sure why you think he thinks it would keep him relevant.
Well it certainly caught peoples attention.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

JamWalsh

Post by JamWalsh »

Did it catch peoples attention because it was Alonso or because it was a Mclaren-Honda? For me Alonso getting FL isn't that big a deal but the McHonda getting it is.

Edited because I apparently can't type today.

Robot

Post by Robot »

JamWalsh wrote:Did it catch peoples attention because it was Alonso or because it was a Mclaren-Honda? For me Alonso getting FL isn't that big a deal but the McHonda getting it is.

Edited because I apparently can't type today.

Both things are connected, no Alonso no FL, both things are important.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote: What do you think looks better winning a race or setting fastest lap, I'm saying that Alonso does it specifically to keep himself relevant which judging by this thread he achieved his goal, Hamilton's motive wasn't to keep himself relevant, he's been more than relevant these past 4 seasons.
Not much and even this thread was started more about it being a possible indicator of Honda's improvement.

So why would Alonso think a FL, which has been irrelevant for years, keep him relevant?.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote: The thread wouldn't have made it past halfway of page 1 if it wasn't for your claims and I don't remember much fuss the last time he got the FL so I don't think most people care half as much as you do so if he was doing it to stay relevant he would have stopped after the complete non-reaction the last time he got the FL.
Not much and even this thread was started more about it being a possible indicator of Honda's improvement.

So why would Alonso think a FL, which has been irrelevant for years, keep him relevant?.
It keeps him in the limelight along with the Indy500, sunning himself on a deck chair, being a stand in camera man, and parking his car in the pit lane entrance causing the race start to be aborted.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

You forgot going to the fans in Canada. That evil selfish guy!

:lol:

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote: I don't remember there being a thread about it before?

It keeps him in the limelight along with the Indy500, sunning himself on a deck chair, being a stand in camera man, and parking his car in the pit lane entrance causing the race start to be aborted.

That last one is rubbish btw, the car failed and you can hear it on the onboard but at least the others can be classed as attention seeking if you ignore the obvious Honda jabs angle but he doesn't really need to work on being in the limelight, being the highest paid and regarded as one of the best gets you that for free in any Sport.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:You forgot going to the fans in Canada. That evil selfish guy!

What that has to do with what I said I don't know, also you really think that Alonso is not selfish?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:Exactly, no-one really cares about the FL so not sure why you think he thinks it would keep him relevant.

That last one is rubbish btw, the car failed and you can hear it on the onboard but at least the others can be classed as attention seeking if you ignore the obvious Honda jabs angle but he doesn't really need to work on being in the limelight, being the highest paid and regarded as one of the best gets you that for free in any Sport.
I know the car failed but could it have not made it a couple of hundred meters more back to the pits who knows, it made it far enough that he only had a short walk back with the cameras on him as the cars set off for another formation lap.

As far as Alonso being one of the best or even the best is not something I would want to argue against, but still these attributes are not getting him in the car he wants to be in.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote: Well it certainly caught peoples attention.

I know the car failed but could it have not made it a couple of hundred meters more back to the pits who knows, it made it far enough that he only had a short walk back with the cameras on him as the cars set off for another formation lap.

As far as Alonso being one of the best or even the best is not something I would want to argue against, but still these attributes are not getting him in the car he wants to be in.
I don't think it could have made it after watching the onboard, there was an almighty clunk and he lost drive. Before I watched it I thought he had parked it too fwiw.

They're not but that's not the point, point is his reputation as one of the best will get him the limelight, he doesn't need to get FL's to stay relevant. FL's in of itself has been irrelevant for years now so it's a strange theory.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:You forgot going to the fans in Canada. That evil selfish guy!

What that has to do with what I said I don't know, also you really think that Alonso is not selfish?
He is - just like Vettel Hamilton, Verstappen and co. No more, no less. ;)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:Not much and even this thread was started more about it being a possible indicator of Honda's improvement.

I don't think it could have made it after watching the onboard, there was an almighty clunk and he lost drive. Before I watched it I thought he had parked it too fwiw.

They're not but that's not the point, point is his reputation as one of the best will get him the limelight, he doesn't need to get FL's to stay relevant. FL's in of itself has been irrelevant for years now so it's a strange theory.
Fair enough if he couldn't get his car any further and quite honest of you to say you thought similar to me at first, but that in itself says what we may think of Alonso himself to have thought that, a driver who is very switched on to try and play any angle.

His latest fastest lap seemed to get quite a few people talking so I wouldn't say in those terms it was irrelevant.

I don't believe any one would have a bad word to say about his driving ability including the top teams but I think that would lead into a thread of it's own why he can't get himself into a race winning car.
Last edited by pokerman on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:

No I think there are different levels to it, would Alonso have given the place back to Bottas in the last race for instance?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:

No I think there are different levels to it, would Alonso have given the place back to Bottas in the last race for instance?
Are you 100% sure that he wouldn't?

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Has he disobeyed team orders? So, I think he would - but he would have been outspoken if he had disagreed.
Would Vettel have given the place back?

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote: It keeps him in the limelight along with the Indy500, sunning himself on a deck chair, being a stand in camera man, and parking his car in the pit lane entrance causing the race start to be aborted.

Fair enough if he couldn't get his car any further and quite honest of you to say you thought similar to me at first, but that in itself says what we may think of Alonso himself to have thought that, a driver who is very switched on to try and play any angle.

His latest fastest lap seemed to get quite a few people talking so I wouldn't say in those terms it was irrelevant.

I don't believe any one would have a bad word to say about his driving ability including the top teams but I think that would lead into a thread of it's own why he can't get himself into a race winning car.
I can't disagree that he's switched on to play any angle, I think the deckchair shows that for example but it wasn't the reason I thought it to be honest, it was simply how close he was to the pit lane that made me think, "Hold on a minute"...But then I saw the onboard, I'll have a look to see if it's still available.

But again most was in terms of Honda improvement because he didn't have to pit.

True. I think we covered it in another thread anyway.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:

History shows that with Alonso team orders only go one way.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Has he disobeyed team orders? So, I think he would - but he would have been outspoken if he had disagreed.
Would Vettel have given the place back?
Well we only know that Hamilton did in comparing how selfish F1 drivers may or may not be.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

History shows that with Alonso team orders only go one way.
I disagree here. When Alonso was asked not to attack Massa when he was coming from behind and was lightyears faster in Melbourne (was it '12? Or 10? Or ...), he obeyed. And, as the transcripts reveal, in Hockenheim 2010, the first TO was that Ferrari asked Alonso to stop attacking Massa and back off. Again he obeyed. Ferrari then told Massa that he can keep the lead if he manages to keep the gap over Alonso. But Alonso was just faster and back close to him very quickly. Only then the pro-Alonso TO was issued ( it is all in the FIA investigation). And there was other cases, early in the seasons, where he was hold back by TOs.
So all in all, he seems to follow TOs quite well. A Vettel-style Sepang behaviour of Alonso - I don't know any example?

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

pokerman wrote: History shows that with Alonso team orders only go one way.
Genuine question here: are there any examples of Alonso refusing to follow a team order? I could just be missing something obvious but I'm struggling to think of one. Whereas I can think of examples for Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen and Kimi pretty easily off the top of my head.