RACE DISTANCE: 306.198 KM

LAP RECORD: 1:33.401
By Mark Webber (2013)

Tyres:
Red-marked supersoft tyre
Yellow-marked soft tyre
White-marked medium tyre

Press Conference:
Part 1: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes), Romain Grosjean (Haas), Jolyon Palmer (Renault), Lance Stroll (Williams)
Part 2: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Pascal Wehrlein (Sauber)
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Threa

Post by UnlikeUday »

Changes made to Silverstone:

The depth of tyre and TecPro barriers has been increased in places around the outside of Turns 1 (Abbey), 2 (Farm), 6 (Brooklands), 9 (Copse), 15 (Stowe) and 16 (Club).

While new double kerbs have been installed on the exit of Turns 9 (Copse) and 18 (Club), a new debris fence has been installed on the left between Turns 14 (Chapel) and 15 (Stowe).

https://www.pitpass.com/59605/Changes-to-Silverstone
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

No rain this weekend to crash the party like 2016. Only overcast & cloudy weather for the weekend:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/13/2 ... x-weather/
Feel The Fourth

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

UnlikeUday wrote:No rain this weekend to crash the party like 2016. Only overcast & cloudy weather for the weekend:
Trying to predict British weather is akin to predicting lottery numbers. Just guesswork lol.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Laz_T800 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:No rain this weekend to crash the party like 2016. Only overcast & cloudy weather for the weekend:
Trying to predict British weather is akin to predicting lottery numbers. Just guesswork lol.
Yep I've checked my weather app a few times today and it's said rain this morning, no rain and just overcast around lunchtime and now it's saying rain again.

I was sitting at Woodcote in 2015 and I can tell you that watching those cars try to put their power down in the rain is incredible, you see every twitch and somehow the TV just doesn't do it justice.

I'm at Becketts this Sunday though so it would probably be better for me if it stayed dry.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

The shield will make its debut tomorrow:

Source - www.motorsportweek.com
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Bottas already faster than last year's pole

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

I think the shield looks great
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

mcdo wrote:I think the shield looks great
The little i saw of it i realised you couldn't see the driver at all due to reflections. I'm used to seeing which direction they're looking and what they're hands are doing

Given the choice i would say no to it. But it's not my life i'm risking

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Bottas fastest ahead of Hamilton with Vettel trailing after a clumpy spin. Bottas looking good it has to be said, I was wondering if Lewis was going to turn up! :uhoh:

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Option or Prime wrote:Bottas fastest ahead of Hamilton with Vettel trailing after a clumpy spin. Bottas looking good it has to be said, I was wondering if Lewis was going to turn up! :uhoh:
By less than a tenth +0.078s

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Anyone at the track today? What did the shield look like from the grandstands?
#KeepFightingMichael

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

jiminwatford wrote:
The little i saw of it i realised you couldn't see the driver at all due to reflections. I'm used to seeing which direction they're looking and what they're hands are doing

To be honest they're so enclosed as it is I haven't noticed that stuff in years. I get that detail from in-car shots and replays
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Hamilton now has 1 more contender for the WDC to deal with in the form of Bottas.
Feel The Fourth

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

UnlikeUday wrote:Hamilton now has 1 more contender for the WDC to deal with in the form of Bottas.
I wonder if Nico is helping him. He's started talking a lot like Nico did last season - taking it one race at a time, and staying in the moment.

Valtteri can win this for Mercedes.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I know we are at the British grand prix and I know the Ben Edwards on Channel 4 is British. But what he says shows he clearly respects Hamilton more than Bottas. The tone of voice of Ben Edwards when Bottas first set the fastest lap towards the beginning. He didn't sound that excited. Then when Hamilton had closed up on 2 sectors, He said "and look, he's up by a quarter of a second immediately over his team mate Bottas" Then when Bottas improves, Ben Edwards says in a sort of having to admit so voice "Bottas is improving" and then "Bottas is quicker". But it was 0.566 quicker than Hamilton's time that he seemed to sound like he thought Hamilton's time was incredible. He didn't mention the time gap. Then Bottas remained the faster of the 2 but Edwards kept bringing up that Hamilton was very close (which was true in the end) but Buttas did look to have the edge on Hamilton this session. It seems like Sky and Channel 4 don't like admitting that. I can't remember who it is on this forum who has a line from Ben Edwards comparing Hamilton and Rosberg in a very similar way at the bottom of their page. This was quite a similar thing to that. I much prefer him to Crofty, but the bias towards British drivers is too much sometimes!
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy2402

Post by Andy2402 »

Yep it's pretty bad. And of course Lewis is never beaten on merit that just isn't possible . There is always some mitigating factor ,

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

Andy2402 wrote:Yep it's pretty bad. And of course Lewis is never beaten on merit that just isn't possible . There is always some mitigating factor ,
That sounds like pretty much every Hamilton fan.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:I know we are at the British grand prix and I know the Ben Edwards on Channel 4 is British. But what he says shows he clearly respects Hamilton more than Bottas. The tone of voice of Ben Edwards when Bottas first set the fastest lap towards the beginning. He didn't sound that excited. Then when Hamilton had closed up on 2 sectors, He said "and look, he's up by a quarter of a second immediately over his team mate Bottas" Then when Bottas improves, Ben Edwards says in a sort of having to admit so voice "Bottas is improving" and then Bottas is quicker. But it was 0.566 quicker than Hamilton's time that he seemed to think was incredible. He didn't mention the time gap. Then Bottas remained the faster of the 2 but Edwards kept bringing up that Hamilton was very close (which was true in the end) but Buttas did look to have the edge on Hamilton this session. It seems like Sky and Channel 4 don't like admitting that. I can't remember who it is on this forum who has a line from Ben Edwards comparing Hamilton and Rosberg in a very similar way at the bottom of their page. This was quite a similar thing to that. I much prefer him to Crofty, but the bias towards British drivers is too much sometimes!
One of the posters here has a very similar bit of commentary (I don't recall from whom) as his sig line.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

RaggedMan wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:I know we are at the British grand prix and I know the Ben Edwards on Channel 4 is British. But what he says shows he clearly respects Hamilton more than Bottas. The tone of voice of Ben Edwards when Bottas first set the fastest lap towards the beginning. He didn't sound that excited. Then when Hamilton had closed up on 2 sectors, He said "and look, he's up by a quarter of a second immediately over his team mate Bottas" Then when Bottas improves, Ben Edwards says in a sort of having to admit so voice "Bottas is improving" and then Bottas is quicker. But it was 0.566 quicker than Hamilton's time that he seemed to think was incredible. He didn't mention the time gap. Then Bottas remained the faster of the 2 but Edwards kept bringing up that Hamilton was very close (which was true in the end) but Buttas did look to have the edge on Hamilton this session. It seems like Sky and Channel 4 don't like admitting that. I can't remember who it is on this forum who has a line from Ben Edwards comparing Hamilton and Rosberg in a very similar way at the bottom of their page. This was quite a similar thing to that. I much prefer him to Crofty, but the bias towards British drivers is too much sometimes!
One of the posters here has a very similar bit of commentary (I don't recall from whom) as his sig line.
Could be wrong but I think it used to be ALESI before he changed it

TheGiantHogweed

RaggedMan wrote:
Yes, effectively what I said. ;) But I too can't remember who it is :lol:
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
And so it begins.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
:blush: Where's the facepalm emoji? :lol:

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:I know we are at the British grand prix and I know the Ben Edwards on Channel 4 is British. But what he says shows he clearly respects Hamilton more than Bottas. The tone of voice of Ben Edwards when Bottas first set the fastest lap towards the beginning. He didn't sound that excited. Then when Hamilton had closed up on 2 sectors, He said "and look, he's up by a quarter of a second immediately over his team mate Bottas" Then when Bottas improves, Ben Edwards says in a sort of having to admit so voice "Bottas is improving" and then "Bottas is quicker". But it was 0.566 quicker than Hamilton's time that he seemed to sound like he thought Hamilton's time was incredible. He didn't mention the time gap. Then Bottas remained the faster of the 2 but Edwards kept bringing up that Hamilton was very close (which was true in the end) but Buttas did look to have the edge on Hamilton this session. It seems like Sky and Channel 4 don't like admitting that. I can't remember who it is on this forum who has a line from Ben Edwards comparing Hamilton and Rosberg in a very similar way at the bottom of their page. This was quite a similar thing to that. I much prefer him to Crofty, but the bias towards British drivers is too much sometimes!
I think that was my old sig... so true isn't it.

It was something like, 'Hamilton goes .2 faster, Edwards goes nuclear in his praise, next lap Rosberg goes 0.5 faster - silence'.

I changed it because it made me look anti-Hamilton, but it wasn't, it was anti-Edwards!
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

ALESI wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:I know we are at the British grand prix and I know the Ben Edwards on Channel 4 is British. But what he says shows he clearly respects Hamilton more than Bottas. The tone of voice of Ben Edwards when Bottas first set the fastest lap towards the beginning. He didn't sound that excited. Then when Hamilton had closed up on 2 sectors, He said "and look, he's up by a quarter of a second immediately over his team mate Bottas" Then when Bottas improves, Ben Edwards says in a sort of having to admit so voice "Bottas is improving" and then "Bottas is quicker". But it was 0.566 quicker than Hamilton's time that he seemed to sound like he thought Hamilton's time was incredible. He didn't mention the time gap. Then Bottas remained the faster of the 2 but Edwards kept bringing up that Hamilton was very close (which was true in the end) but Buttas did look to have the edge on Hamilton this session. It seems like Sky and Channel 4 don't like admitting that. I can't remember who it is on this forum who has a line from Ben Edwards comparing Hamilton and Rosberg in a very similar way at the bottom of their page. This was quite a similar thing to that. I much prefer him to Crofty, but the bias towards British drivers is too much sometimes!

It was something like, 'Hamilton goes .2 faster, Edwards goes nuclear in his praise, next lap Rosberg goes 0.5 faster - silence'.
Ah, well that answers the question.
I like your current sig as well.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Andy2402 wrote:Yep it's pretty bad. And of course Lewis is never beaten on merit that just isn't possible . There is always some mitigating factor ,
If I had a pound for every time Lewis had failed to go faster and the immediate reaction is 'does Lewis have a problem'.

A prime candidate for a drinking game.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

TheGiantHogweed

ALESI wrote:

I changed it because it made me look anti-Hamilton, but it wasn't, it was anti-Edwards!
I do actually really like Edwards a lot of the time. My preference for the race commentary would be Coulthard and Brundle. When I watched the F1 live in London, they were together then and it just felt like we have been missing that. Chandhok and Edwards are brilliant in practice sessions. they sound so much more interested to what is happening compared to Crofty when he's talking about pies and curries and other rubbish. Sky spend too little time of the subject during practice. Chandhok and Edwards are best line up in practice sessions in recent years IMO. I wouldn't want Ben Edwards to go. But Crofty, I really would rather he didn't commentate for anything! He is painful to listen to.

robins13

Post by robins13 »

ALESI wrote:

From my memory, your sig was more like
"Hamilton goes faster, it was a thumping lap by him, and thrashed whole field, and moments later Rosberg goes faster, then its oh the track evolution is faster :-P

TheGiantHogweed

robins13 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

"Hamilton goes faster, it was a thumping lap by him, and thrashed whole field, and moments later Rosberg goes faster, then its oh the track evolution is faster :-P
I remember it being something like Ben Edwards saying after Hamilton sets the fastest lap "No one can touch him" Rosberg then goes 0.5 seconds faster. Nothing is said, the track must be improving. I think it was something like this.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

mcdo wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

To be honest they're so enclosed as it is I haven't noticed that stuff in years. I get that detail from in-car shots and replays
I know what you mean. I didn't know how much i noticed it until today

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
robins13 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

I remember it being something like Ben Edwards saying after Hamilton sets the fastest lap "No one can touch him" Rosberg then goes 0.5 seconds faster. Nothing is said, the track must be improving. I think it was something like this.
You couldn't make this stuff up. Basically you guys are speculating about somones signature quotes without a clue what they were or the context or basically whether it was even true. Why? To prove the British media is biased towards the most successful British driver of all time? No poop Sherlock. They ain't investigative journalists. They pander to the audience, who generally are tuning in because they want to see a British driver doing well. It's not hard to find equivalents in other countries. I'm stuck watching RTL at present and they are no different when effusing about Seb.

TheGiantHogweed

Ben Edwards saying Bottas was fastest in that session but Hamilton's lap was compromised by his moment. That sounds like a bit of an excuse! When he saw the yellow flags, he was effectively saying that he hoped they wouldn't affect Hamilton's run. It just wasn't possible to assume that it could have been Hamilton that caused them......

In that case, many of Botta's opportunities have been compromised by him not quite being on top form. Bottas looked a little better than Hamilton in both sessions today. Hamilton may have been quicker in the 1st sector and he could well have been the fastest, but he made a mistake so that didn't come true.

TheGiantHogweed

Laz_T800 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
robins13 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

You couldn't make this stuff up. Basically you guys are speculating about somones signature quotes without a clue what they were or the context or basically whether it was even true. Why? To prove the British media is biased towards the most successful British driver of all time? No poop Sherlock. They ain't investigative journalists. They pander to the audience, who generally are tuning in because they want to see a British driver doing well. It's not hard to find equivalents in other countries. I'm stuck watching RTL at present and they are no different when effusing about Seb.
Edit, got my quote mixed up. Posted it further down.
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

To show how much the cars have improved, Alonso's time would have netted him 3rd on the grid last year

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
robins13 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

"...The track is obviously improving" is what I remember.
The end is near

TheGiantHogweed

Laz_T800 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
robins13 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

Well, were we exactly talking about anything else? No. We may as well discuss something! It has been really quiet today in terms of talking about practice.

TheGiantHogweed

Looking at that replay of Massa blocking Verstappen, I'm not really sure if it is worth investigating further. Massa was trying to prepare for a fast lap, which he had just as much right to as Verstappen, but Massa did seem a little unreasonable with his moves. But he may not have expected Verstappen to go past. They both got in each others way, so I don't think it should be taken further. It is only practice.

TheGiantHogweed

Coulthard and Felipe junior were just playing football on Channal 4!

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
robins13 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

"...The track is obviously improving" is what I remember.
Yup. I definitely remember them saying the track was improving; as the track was drying. Definitely pro-Hamilton.

Ruste13

Post by Ruste13 »

Amazing lap by Hamilton!.....Rosberg goes 0.5 quicker....tracks obviously improving.

Bottas could be the silent assassin this year....