Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
jiminwatford

F1 Live London - a bit short notice?

Post by jiminwatford »

Has everyone heard of this?

As far as i am aware it was announced yesterday and is taking place today

Their website https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... ondon.html

I actually misread the date and thought i was tomorrow so was willing to drop everything and make the 300 mile journey. Then i see it's on today. Doh!

What the hell? Is it normal to announce this sort of thing just 24 hours in advance

Quite pee'd off to be honest

Anyway at least it's covered online and on the telly

neek

Re: F1 Live London - a bit short notice?

Post by neek »

Me too, what a joke. I did wonder why TFL reported tons of road closures, but they didn't give much of a clue early on, plus is coincides with King of Spain visiting...so assumed it was that :/

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

It's for the casual fans.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Really annoyed about this to be honest. I would loved to have gone and with even just a weeks notice I could have got the time off work. Announcing it the day before is ridiculous. It must have been planned well in advance given the disruption and paperwork that would need to be done to host an event like this.

Oh well, would have been fun but at least I've got Silverstone on Sunday to look forward to.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

Rockie wrote:It's for the casual fans.
You mean those who just happen to be passing? Yes maybe so

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

For the Regent street run in 2004 i had time to book time off work, arrange for Mum to come down and actually plan it

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

I totally agree with why they kept it quiet, it's to reduce the chances of some ISIS nutters launching another terrorist attack on London. It's being screened live on Sky Sports anyway for those who cannot make it.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

The event, which has been in the planning for some time, has been previously kept under wraps for security purposes.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:The event, which has been in the planning for some time, has been previously kept under wraps for security purposes.
How do you know this?

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

I don't buy the security thing. Have a look on the visit London website and there are plenty of large and central events advertised. Just look at this one where roads will be closed all around central London.

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do ... Q3q40qu.97

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

^^ Exactly, where's the evidence it was kept quiet for security reasons?

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

A comment on the Sky F1 site says they announced it seven days ago and 'die-hard' fans knew about it 🙄

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

It was announced a week ago where it would be in London and that it would be this Wednesday; with event details and timings issued nearer the time.

Most of the 'dailys' and motoring mags carried the story, Mail, Autocar, etc.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

I'd really like to see events like this take place outside the London bubble.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

shoot999 wrote:It was announced a week ago where it would be in London and that it would be this Wednesday; with event details and timings issued nearer the time.

Most of the 'dailys' and motoring mags carried the story, Mail, Autocar, etc.
Maybe so, but the main F1 media kept quiet about it. I heard nothing on Sky or Channel 4's coverage. Seeing as Sky are showing it tonight you'd think they'd want to promote it

There will be a reason, and maybe even a good one. But i'll be surprised if it's more than just bad planning

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Live on youtube on Formula 1 channel for those that are interest.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

So watching this on tv. We have had in ho particular order.

> jake talking and holding the show together
> jake interviewing arrivabene. Wolf and horner.
> jake talking to jb (in mclaren gear) and ross brawn
> 2 songs.
> A passing interview with various drivers by natalaie pinkham.
> the camera following dc. Damon. Johnny and john watson why they wave to the croud.

Soooo. 25 minutes and counting and no formula 1 cars shown at all.

moby

Post by moby »

I actually knew about it last week. My nephew had to have a pass to get his car to and from the underground carpark which is apparently behind the barrier.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

To be fair, the track is better than Sochi.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

shoot999 wrote:To be fair, the track is better than Sochi.
:lol: :thumbup:

Akai

Post by Akai »

Stroll ...

Akai

Post by Akai »

Vettel killed it, fair play to him.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Think Ric just topped that

Akai

Post by Akai »

shoot999 wrote:Think Ric just topped that
yes he did :lol:

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

Pretty good show so far

Lewis is missing out. If i was him i would be trying to get there for a surprise appearance ;)

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

I went to the event in 2004, and this seems a lot smaller in scale to that, as they are just driving up and down a tiny section of road,
whereas at Regents Street I'm sure they had a much longer stretch and could get to faster speeds.

500,000 people turned up to that demonstration, and it was announced long in advance. Although it is was appallingly organised on the day, and you only got to see each car once, so maybe this is better - albeit much smaller in scale.

I took posted some stills from my video footage from 2004, although as video technology has vastly improved since then, they don't really show that much...

http://randomperspective.com/?2imagesLONDON

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

The V8 sound from that RB7 though, and the V12 in the Mclaren thats whats missing in F1 now.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Wander what the real reason is lewis isnt there. Seb seems to make himself popular dispite his actions 3 weeks ago.
That was a great entrance to the track from danny ric.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, the streaming was pretty good. What I don't understand very well is why they didn't include The Mall. That would have allowed more speed, and more fan space.

Still, nice to see them driving where I go for a walk every now and then.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

wire2004 wrote:Wander what the real reason is lewis isnt there. Seb seems to make himself popular dispite his actions 3 weeks ago.
I'm surprised his PR team let him miss it tbh, it doesn't look great when he's the only driver not there, especially when they're lining up all the drivers.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
wire2004 wrote:Wander what the real reason is lewis isnt there. Seb seems to make himself popular dispite his actions 3 weeks ago.
I'm surprised his PR team let him miss it tbh, it doesn't look great when he's the only driver not there, especially when they're lining up all the drivers.
Suprised toto didnt tell him he must be there. This is a major pr blunder from Lewis. You would think that this would be exactly the type of event that lewis should of thrived on. Imagine Merc taking the 55 Mercedes-Benz that fangio won his title in. Lewis would of had a hoot.

G926

Post by G926 »

wire2004 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Suprised toto didnt tell him he must be there. This is a major pr blunder from Lewis. You would think that this would be exactly the type of event that lewis should of thrived on. Imagine Merc taking the 55 Mercedes-Benz that fangio won his title in. Lewis would of had a hoot.
If you're the only driver not to turn up to an event like this and it's your home Grand Prix then I'm sorry, but it shows a total lack of respect for your fans.
No wonder Vettel got such a big cheer.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Well that looked like good fun. Hopefully they do the same next year and hopefully it's widely announced a little more in advance, in which case I will definitely be there.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Totally missed this. Was there in Regent Street, cant believe that was 2004.... how time flies. It was mega, mega rammed that day, remember climbing on top of a post box to get half a view, and rotating that spot with my mate and the bird he thought he was impressing with this event at the time! 13 years, where has it gone.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Maybe do something like Put the cars at Aintree. Let them do laps round the old course. Open it up to the public for free and there you go. Get more race cars there to demonstrate and Use the infield for the bands to perform.
The only problem is that i would hold the event on a Saturday or sunday before the grand prix weekend. And make it a day. Like 3pm till 9pm. By all means broadcast it. But make it more interactive. The afore mentioned problem is as you all know. Silverstone is in a triple header of races. If we had to do it in between. Announce it for the Wednesday before the race. And run it 6 till 9. But As i am writing this. Its turning more into a concert that they put on at each race anyway. So maybe 6 till 9 is too long as they seem to be filling time until the 9pm programme ending.
And since this seems to be the way formula 1 is going now. Make it compulsory. (I shouldnt need too say it really. But ffs lewis)

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Problem with sticking it at a track is that only people interested in F1 are going to bother to go. Sticking it in the middle of London generates so much more interest, and you have the added bonus of all the footfall who might just stop and take a look to see what all the fuss is about. If even 100 people then go on to actively watch F1 as a hobby, the demo has done its job.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Flash2k11 wrote:Problem with sticking it at a track is that only people interested in F1 are going to bother to go. Sticking it in the middle of London generates so much more interest, and you have the added bonus of all the footfall who might just stop and take a look to see what all the fuss is about. If even 100 people then go on to actively watch F1 as a hobby, the demo has done its job.
Thats true. Maybe swap aintree for chester race course. I am using the hourse race courses round north west as its central in the uk and has a big open area where we can do multiple things at the same time.
Chester race course also has the additional bonus of that you can see the race course from the road and see whats happening to a casual person who didnt know what was happening.

optimisteprime

Post by optimisteprime »

I attended this and thought it was really poorly organised. Don't know if I was just unlucky from the side I happened to approach it from, but there was basically no crowd control or staff or signage and I just ended up in a massive crowd, unable to move either forwards or backwards, with no hope of seeing the cars. At least I could hear them, some wonderful sounding pre-hybrid cars.

I wouldn't go again if it was going to be anything like that though, spent it trapped, wanting out, and mostly listening to various people around me getting angry and frustrated (including many who were just trying to get to work or get home and found themselves caught up in it)

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

optimisteprime wrote:I attended this and thought it was really poorly organised. Don't know if I was just unlucky from the side I happened to approach it from, but there was basically no crowd control or staff or signage and I just ended up in a massive crowd, unable to move either forwards or backwards, with no hope of seeing the cars. At least I could hear them, some wonderful sounding pre-hybrid cars.

I wouldn't go again if it was going to be anything like that though, spent it trapped, wanting out, and mostly listening to various people around me getting angry and frustrated (including many who were just trying to get to work or get home and found themselves caught up in it)
Are you still there. Cause im still watching it live now. Unless you've left why the kaiser chiefs are still playing. In which i apologise.

optimisteprime

Post by optimisteprime »

wire2004 wrote:
optimisteprime wrote:I attended this and thought it was really poorly organised. Don't know if I was just unlucky from the side I happened to approach it from, but there was basically no crowd control or staff or signage and I just ended up in a massive crowd, unable to move either forwards or backwards, with no hope of seeing the cars. At least I could hear them, some wonderful sounding pre-hybrid cars.

Are you still there. Cause im still watching it live now. Unless you've left why the kaiser chiefs are still playing. In which i apologise.
I left when the cars stopped, which was about an hour and a half ago. I had no interest in staying for a music concert and made a run for it when the crowd started to disperse.