LAP RECORD: 1:08.337
By Michael Schumacher (2003)

Tyres:
Yellow-marked soft tyre
Red-marked supersoft tyre
Purple-marked ultrasoft tyre

Press Conference:
Part 1 will have drivers:
Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari), Kevin Magnussen (Haas)

Part 2 will have drivers:
Felipe Massa (Williams), Max Verstappen (Red Bull), Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)

Seems people want a confrontation as soon as possible. Hence, pitting them together in the press conference. This should be exciting.
Feel The Fourth

Warheart01

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thre

Post by Warheart01 »

One of my favorite tracks of the season.

Hoping for a Hamilton pole, win and WDC lead. :thumbup:
Maybe I shouldn't jinx it, we all know what happened last time I was hoping for that! :lol:
But I will not sink so low as to wish for a Vettel DNF.

Alex53

Post by Alex53 »

UnlikeUday wrote: Press Conference:
What time is the fight? I mean, the press conference?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Alex53 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote: Press Conference:
What time is the fight? I mean, the press conference?
15:00 local time. 13:00 GMT I believe.

Update -

Yup. I was right:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... edule.html
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

2017 F1 engine component use coming to Austrian Grand Prix:

Source - www.F1fanatic.co.uk
Feel The Fourth

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Is that the true gradient of the circuit on the approach to the Turn That Was Formerly Know As 2? Or is it just the angle of the lens relative to the circuit?
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

UnlikeUday wrote:2017 F1 engine component use coming to Austrian Grand Prix:

Source - http://www.F1fanatic.co.uk
Mercedes ruling the reliability stakes, it seems

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

tootsie323 wrote:Is that the true gradient of the circuit on the approach to the Turn That Was Formerly Know As 2? Or is it just the angle of the lens relative to the circuit?
I'm sure there is a good amount of elevation leading to turn 2 (now 3). Also evident in this picture:

Source - www.redbull.com
Feel The Fourth

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Sky are doing a live blog of the press conference for anyone interested:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog/1 ... rence-live

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Read on the official F1 website about the expected weather.
There's a 50% chance of intermittent showers on Friday but Sunday's the best part. On Sunday, thundershowers are expected around 14:00 (the time when the race starts)!
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Live press conference text commentary:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog/3 ... rence-live

LOL :lol:
Feel The Fourth

lamo

Post by lamo »

UnlikeUday wrote:Read on the official F1 website about the expected weather.
There's a 50% chance of intermittent showers on Friday but Sunday's the best part. On Sunday, thundershowers are expected around 14:00 (the time when the race starts)!
Wet race with the two rain masters in the best two cars! Could be a classic, actually I think Max and Alonso are in that group too.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

UnlikeUday wrote:Read on the official F1 website about the expected weather.
(oh, please...)

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Another mercedes track, unless it rains...
Strangely the boys at mclaren honda seem to think they will do well this weekend. Not seeing it.
Williams and fi should trouble redbull here too.
Should be another great weekend.

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

UnlikeUday wrote:2017 F1 engine component use coming to Austrian Grand Prix:

Source - http://www.F1fanatic.co.uk
Interesting that despite retiring from the last 2 races due to mechanical failures Max is equal in terms of component usage as Ricciardo. Is there some mode or software glitch that keeps causing these issues?
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

Max doing an impressive time on the softs

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Vandoorne 6th & Alonso 9th.

Seems Honda's Spec 3 is for real!
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

UnlikeUday wrote:Vandoorne 6th & Alonso 9th.

Seems Honda's Spec 3 is for real!
I shouldn't get too excited just yet. They're both on Ultrasofts and still 1.3s off the pace

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Just watching Ted Kravitz on Sky, what a Vettel bashing fest, amazing in a worst way.
The end is near

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:Just watching Ted Kravitz on Sky, what a Vettel bashing fest, amazing in a worst way.
What did he say?

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Siao7 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:Just watching Ted Kravitz on Sky, what a Vettel bashing fest, amazing in a worst way.
What did he say?
The question he asked Vettel and Hamilton are so biased and even further downgrading to Vettel. Like: Do you have anger management issues, what can we expect when you next time put the helmet on, and such things. On contrary, it was a friendly smiling chat with Hamilton, with words like "Jean Todt former Ferrari employee" ("Yes, yes", reply of smiling Ted). It was worst, as I can not reply the exact wording and atmosphere surrounding it, perhaps you can find it on youtube.
The end is near

Blake

Post by Blake »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
What did he say?
The question he asked Vettel and Hamilton are so biased and even further downgrading to Vettel. Like: Do you have anger management issues, what can we expect when you next time put the helmet on, and such things. On contrary, it was a friendly smiling chat with Hamilton, with words like "Jean Todt former Ferrari employee" ("Yes, yes", reply of smiling Ted). It was worst, as I can not reply the exact wording and atmosphere surrounding it, perhaps you can find it on youtube.
That is the kind of interviews we see out of Will Buxton as well. and then of course, the embarrassing blog of Joe Saward. They are going to milk this for as long as they possibly can
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Looks like Honda upgrade works well for Mclaren, both cars in top 10. What a change of form.
The end is near

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Lt. Drebin wrote:Looks like Honda upgrade works well for Mclaren, both cars in top 10. What a change of form.
& no bang or boom even.
Feel The Fourth

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:Looks like Honda upgrade works well for Mclaren, both cars in top 10. What a change of form.
I wouldnt look too much into it in the s race. Its a 64 second lap. Wait till we get too silverstone

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's looking good with Red Bull close on the heels of Mercedes & Ferrari.

Sunday could play in the hands of Red Bull to some extent if it rains as predicted.
Feel The Fourth

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

UnlikeUday wrote:It's looking good with Red Bull close on the heels of Mercedes & Ferrari.

Sunday could play in the hands of Red Bull to some extent if it rains as predicted.
Till they both turn their engine up and leave them behind.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
What did he say?
Well of course he can't take the same tone with both. One has done wrong and one hasn't.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

wire2004 wrote:
I wouldnt look too much into it in the s race. Its a 64 second lap. Wait till we get too silverstone

They wont be in the top 10 in qualifying barring some crazy Alonso intervention. Williams and FI will turn up the wick on saturday. I dont see them beating the haas cars. You are looking at 12-16 grid slot most likely.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
What did he say?
Ah, thank you. This sounds horrible and very provoking

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
What did he say?
Well of course he can't take the same tone with both. One has done wrong and one hasn't.

Different tone; same goal. He was goading Vettel to come out with something controversial re the incident and his subsequent behaviour; and brown nosing Hamilton to encourage him to come out with something controversial over his statements about the FIA and Todt. Neither approached worked.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
What did he say?

Different tone; same goal. He was goading Vettel to come out with something controversial re the incident and his subsequent behaviour; and brown nosing Hamilton to encourage him to come out with something controversial over his statements about the FIA and Todt. Neither approached worked.
Seemingly it did, as Hamilton said: "Jean Todt former Ferrari employee".
The end is near

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Siao7 wrote: What did he say?

I think it was Ted that said that in his question, not Hamilton.

It was some pretty terrible interviewing to be honest. I'm not so sure it was due to bias as much as it was trying to get a headline with a few very loaded questions though.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote: The question he asked Vettel and Hamilton are so biased and even further downgrading to Vettel. Like: Do you have anger management issues, what can we expect when you next time put the helmet on, and such things. On contrary, it was a friendly smiling chat with Hamilton, with words like "Jean Todt former Ferrari employee" ("Yes, yes", reply of smiling Ted). It was worst, as I can not reply the exact wording and atmosphere surrounding it, perhaps you can find it on youtube.

I think it was Ted that said that in his question, not Hamilton.

It was some pretty terrible interviewing to be honest. I'm not so sure it was due to bias as much as it was trying to get a headline with a few very loaded questions though.
You might be right with that one, I had some glitch, but whoever said, the other party heartily agreed.
The end is near

chetan_rao

Post by chetan_rao »

Whatever happened in Baku doesn't take anything away from the gutter journalism that followed (and still continues).

A certain Mr. Benson over on BBC went nuts after Baku, and they waited until the hearing was done to post a 'Should Vettel have been DSQed in Baku?' vote up that'll achieve nothing different that it would have the day after the race.

At this point, I think the gutter press cares more about Baku than either of the main protagonists.

P.S. Joe Saward is going to blow an artery if something like this happens again. The comments section on his blog is comedy gold.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:The question he (Kravitz) asked Vettel and Hamilton are so biased and even further downgrading to Vettel. Like: Do you have anger management issues, what can we expect when you next time put the helmet on, and such things. On contrary, it was a friendly smiling chat with Hamilton, with words like "Jean Todt former Ferrari employee" ("Yes, yes", reply of smiling Ted). It was worst, as I can not reply the exact wording and atmosphere surrounding it, perhaps you can find it on youtube.
At this rate, the media is going to end up making Hamilton looking like the bad boy!

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Rockie wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:It's looking good with Red Bull close on the heels of Mercedes & Ferrari.

Till they both turn their engine up and leave them behind.
I'd argue that if it rains, turning up the engines will be moot.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Lewis Hamilton set for five-place grid penalty with FIA confirming gearbox change.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Clarky wrote:Lewis Hamilton set for five-place grid penalty with FIA confirming gearbox change.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... ia-927729/
Feel The Fourth

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Clarky wrote:Lewis Hamilton set for five-place grid penalty with FIA confirming gearbox change.
It appears we've entered the bad luck for Hamilton stage of the season...

It seems from looking at the long runs in FP2 that this is a solid Merc track too, very unfortunate for Hamilton. A 5 place penalty doesn't necessarily rule out the win if things go his way though, a 10 place pretty much would, so he's still got a shot.