2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Black_Flag_11

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

On another note, anyone know why they run the race so late in the day here? It can't just be to put it in line with European times as the race started at 14:00 UK time as opposed to the usual 13:00.

Akai

Post by Akai »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Crumpet wrote:Road rage in a formula one race. A real test of the stewards now.
Retire Vettel Charlie.
how many times have you posted that? :lol: :lol:

desperate.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

Come on guys! This is cutting into my sleep! I've got to wake up in under 5 hours!
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

It looked to me more like Vettel took both hands of the wheel rather than he deliberately tried to hit Hamilton.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Fiki wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:As always, Hamilton started it first. Dirty.
Chandhok and DC both say Hamilton did nothing wrong, both ex F1 drivers.
It wouldn't be the first time DC sides with a countryman. I remember from the days F1 was on the BBC. I ended up trusting Eddie Jordan more than him, almost. :D
Knew someone would bring out the bias rubbish. Vettel was just keeping close to Hamilton after the first restart and he thought Hamilton was going for it and got caught out.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Tassadar wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
Tassadar wrote:Hamilton also brake checked him.
Hamilton lifted after the apex and caught Vettel out. No way is that Lewis' fault, the lead car decides the pace whether thats 5 mph or 50 mph.

First time I saw it, Hamilton looked at fault but on second viewing...
Horrible place to lift off, anyone with any common sense driving should know that. That's a very thin corner, with not much room to move around, so stupid thing to do by Hamilton. Vettel's reaction was much worse though.
BS, the car in front controls the pace. Car behind must respect the car in front at all times, especially at a restart.

optimisteprime

Post by optimisteprime »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
Hamilton lifted after the apex and caught Vettel out. No way is that Lewis' fault, the lead car decides the pace whether thats 5 mph or 50 mph.

He braked, not merely coasted, in the middle of the corner. Knowing full well others behind him would naturally accelerate. It's what we do on the PS4 when we want to make the car behind us retire. Absolute brake testing.

Unfortunately, Vettel in his rage, lost control of his car, and instead of merely getting close, banged tyres. I don't believe he'd be stupid enough to purposely hit, but hit he did. And it's his fault.
What Hamilton did was much more dangerous and much worse. What Vettel did was understandable in a way having just been endangered by Hamilton like that, but really they should both be penalised.

Invade

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Prema wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Vettel's probably shouldn't be allowed to take the restart IMO. He's shown his temper before in a race.
If they can establish the intention. Then one could also argue that Ham did it with purpose too.
Otherwise nothing real happened, no consequence
So how does one do what Vettel did without intent?
I guess it's possible he intended to go alongside Hamilton to vent frustration but not to lose control of his car?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Can't quite believe people are defending Vettel here...

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Swarth wrote:
pokerman wrote:
minchy wrote:
pokerman wrote:Ok I'll rephrase it, it's not fit to be a F1 track
Why not? I personally think its a really good track and unless you want more car parks like Paul Ricard, we need more tracks like this.
The race is a farce
and its the circuits fault why? last year there were zero safety cars and it was boring as hell
Last year F1 drivers in general they were extremely conservative.

This year is different, they are not conservative anymore and we are seeing crashes/incidents.

I like this track because its somewhat dangerous and not the typical boring/dull manufactured Tilkedrome with square kilometeres of runoff areas.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Without even considering whether either of the collisions needs to be penalised, Vettel overtook Hamilton before the restart so that's a drive through or a time penalty.

Longnose

Post by Longnose »

OK, this is amateurs hour! What an embarrassment for F1, and Vettel is a moron, deliberately hitting another driver! And people on thi forum actually defending that!

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Tassadar wrote:Horrible place to lift off, anyone with any common sense driving should know that. That's a very thin corner, with not much room to move around, so stupid thing to do by Hamilton. Vettel's reaction was much worse though.
It was an unexpected but Vettel shouldn't be trying to second guess Hamilton to get an advantage.

j man

Post by j man »

mikeyg123 wrote:Be interesting to know if Hamilton did brake or just didn't accelerate. Either way I doubt Hamilton was trying to deliberately damage Vettel. Hamilton has to leave space for the safety car on the in lap.
Agree with this. I didn't see anything particularly erratic in Hamilton's driving there. At worst it's a bit careless and showed a lack of awareness of Vettel being behind close him. I find it ridiculous for people to suggest it was deliberate and malicious. What on earth would he have to gain from such a move?

Vettel on the other hand.... that's appalling driving. His temper got the better of him once again.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

ALESI wrote:It looked to me more like Vettel took both hands of the wheel rather than he deliberately tried to hit Hamilton.
He temporarily lost control of the car and it hit Lewis. Vettel really needs to get his temper under control.

lvlarc

Post by lvlarc »

mikeyg123 wrote:Be interesting to know if Hamilton did brake or just didn't accelerate. Either way I doubt Hamilton was trying to deliberately damage Vettel. Hamilton has to leave space for the safety car on the in lap.
so what if he did brake? it was through a corner and they are all braking every 5 seconds behind SC anyway to get temperature into tyres lol...it's on Vettel to maintain a gap between himself and Hamilton. Vettel to blame for collision 100%

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Prema wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Vettel's probably shouldn't be allowed to take the restart IMO. He's shown his temper before in a race.
If they can establish the intention. Then one could also argue that Ham did it with purpose too.
I guess it's possible he intended to go alongside Hamilton to vent frustration but not to lose control of his car?
Did you see the car out of control?

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Ocon wrote:Hamilton didn't do it with intent while Vettel clearly did.
Look with how big speed comes Perez also, who needed to brake hard as well, and you will realize that Hamilton started it all.
I'm not even sure that's really relevant. You can't crash into another car on purpose.
How relevant is paragraph 36.5 that says you should not drive unnecessarily slowly?
The end is near

Aspar

Post by Aspar »

Wow, wtf is this clown Vettel doing?
This deserves disqualification.
Going next to a car, under SC, to deliberately hit it...wow.
If they don't put a sever penalty on Vettel all they do from now on will be questionable.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

mikeyg123 wrote:Can't quite believe people are defending Vettel here...
I'm a huge Vettel fan, and while I don't believe he wanted to hit Hamilton and risk spoiling his own car too, he did lose control of his car in rage, and hence deserves punishment. But so does Hamilton.

LBET

Post by LBET »

F1_Ernie wrote:Nothing will happen to Vettel lol
My model of the universe will not permit this. If the Red Mist rules then everyone will become a Pastor. Anger and stupidity are like nitro and glycerine. There is no justification for what Vettel did. It was premeditated, dangerous for the cars, drivers and the team, It put his Id before the team goals and shows that he is not in possession of a very high EIQ.

P.S. Vettel also passed Lewis under the safety car.
Last edited by LBET on Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zaar

Post by zaar »

I'm still not convinced, that Vettel wanted to hit Hamilton deliberately. Swerving yes, but hitting?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1nut wrote:
Mr-E wrote:Hamilton must be getting a penalty.
They already warned Hamilton about maintaining the proper distance behind the safety car and Vettel was correct when he says "Hamilton brake checked him" and then he bashes Hamilton back....... :frown:
Hamilton was creating a gap for the restart, blame the stupid track.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

On the other hand just imagine if it was Maldonado who hit Hamitlon...
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

kleefton wrote:
ALESI wrote:It looked to me more like Vettel took both hands of the wheel rather than he deliberately tried to hit Hamilton.
He temporarily lost control of the car and it hit Lewis. Vettel really needs to get his temper under control.
I don't see any loss of control of the car?

Invade

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Prema wrote:
Did you see the car out of control?
Honestly, no. I just felt like I'd put it out there in case someone can see something (fairly) which I'm missing.

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

minchy wrote:Watching the replay, Hamilton didn't seem to either brake or accelerate, it just looked like Vettel assumed he would accelerate out and he didn't.
This

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Akai wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Crumpet wrote:Road rage in a formula one race. A real test of the stewards now.
Retire Vettel Charlie.
how many times have you posted that? :lol: :lol:

desperate.
What's desperate are people trying to excuse Vettel's brazen act of intentional violence against another car.

US announcers are damming Vettel with extreme prejudice.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

optimisteprime wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

He braked, not merely coasted, in the middle of the corner. Knowing full well others behind him would naturally accelerate. It's what we do on the PS4 when we want to make the car behind us retire. Absolute brake testing.

Unfortunately, Vettel in his rage, lost control of his car, and instead of merely getting close, banged tyres. I don't believe he'd be stupid enough to purposely hit, but hit he did. And it's his fault.
What Hamilton did was much more dangerous and much worse. What Vettel did was understandable in a way having just been endangered by Hamilton like that, but really they should both be penalised.
You got to laugh at posts like this, understandable :lol:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Fiki wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time DC sides with a countryman. I remember from the days F1 was on the BBC. I ended up trusting Eddie Jordan more than him, almost. :D
Knew someone would bring out the bias rubbish. Vettel was just keeping close to Hamilton after the first restart and he thought Hamilton was going for it and got caught out.
And why is it rubbish to point out that DC has on occasion pandered to his public? I hear Chandok is a very good commentator, does that show bias as well?
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Llotyhy

Post by Llotyhy »

I'd go for drive through Hamilton, black flag Vettel.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Perez rejoining the race. Revenge time against Ocon!
Feel The Fourth

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Laz_T800 wrote:
minchy wrote:Watching the replay, Hamilton didn't seem to either brake or accelerate, it just looked like Vettel assumed he would accelerate out and he didn't.
This
:thumbup:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DirtyMike

Post by DirtyMike »

- Perez taps Ocon
- Definitely a gap for Ocon to make the pass
- Completed the pass
- But then forgot he was there and SQUEEZED him into the wall
Unlucky F.India
Last edited by DirtyMike on Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 and Onwards
Ricciardo .:. Massa .:. LeClerc .:. Sainz

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Ok they showed now, Hamilton shortly braked on the exit of the curve, and than did not engage power.
The end is near

Prema

Post by Prema »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Prema wrote:
I meant, the very contact itself.

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Aspar wrote:Wow, wtf is this clown Vettel doing?
This deserves disqualification.
Going next to a car, under SC, to deliberately hit it...wow.
If they don't put a sever penalty on Vettel all they do from now on will be questionable.
100% spot on.

Retire Vettel Charlie.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

zaar wrote:I'm still not convinced, that Vettel wanted to hit Hamilton deliberately. Swerving yes, but hitting?
He wanted to swerve, not hit, but in his rage, he did lose control and hit him, unfortunately weakening his case. Otherwise, Hamilton would've been penalised by now, and Vettel would've won the race. Sigh, he's now complicated it.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fantaribo wrote:Legitimate reaction from Vettel considering what Hamilton has done.
On board footage shows that Hamilton didn't brake, he just coasted out of the corner.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Fiki wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Fiki wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
And why is it rubbish to point out that DC has on occasion pandered to his public? I hear Chandok is a very good commentator, does that show bias as well?
You feel OK?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition