Thank you Fernando!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Post Reply
Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

For coming to Indianapolis. Long ago I used to follow the 500, back when Foyt, Andretti, Cogan, Gurrero, Mears, Sullivan, Rahal, and a whole host of Unsers filled the field. I always wanted to attend this race but never got around to it. Then the CART/IRL split happened and I dropped Indy cars like a stone. Havent followed the series at all. Tony Kanaan was a rookie when I stopped watching. He was in yesterday's race.

When I heard that Fernando was going to be in the race something clicked in me and I knew right away that THIS was the year I was going to Indianapolis. I bought two tickets the next day. My son and I were going to the 500. He was beyond excited.

Arriving in Indianapolis was amazing. Never have I seen a town so devoted to motor racing. It's in the blood there. It's palpable.

Arriving at the race track the next morning was almost unbearable!! We got there at 8 am and had to wait FOUR hours for the race. The excitement was just too much. Thankfully you can walk around a lot at the motor speedway and there is lots to see. By the time 12 noon rolled around the stadium was simply bursting with people. A LOT of people were Alonso fans. He brought great excitement to the race.

The start did not go well for Fernando and he lost several positions. However, once things stabilized it became pretty clear that Fernando had not only a good car, but the skills to use it. He moved through traffic and up through the field. The cheers when he took the lead the first time were astonishing. My son and I were 110% behind him.

The race is long with many ups and downs. Fernando was handling things so well that as the race progressed I began to believe it might be truly possible, that he would win!

It was just gut wrenching to watch yet another blown Honda engine ruin Alonso's race. The stands we sat in erupted with boos for Honda and spit so many obscenities at Honda that I dare not write them here. The mods would take me to task. Were my son not next to me, I'd have sworn at Honda like a drunken sailor. Honda should simply leave the racing world. They are utterly out of their league. Yes a Honda won the race, but that's just due to statistics. There are so many there that one is bound to hold together while the rest blow.

I'm so sorry Fernando did not win. He certainly could have. I hope more than ever that the experience was good for him and that next year he is back. if he moves on from McLaren then that's not likely. Fernando won't be back unless he remains tied to the hapless and ineffective Honda engine.

My son and I had. 4 hour drive back to Michigan after the race. I wondered aloud, "I wonder how bad Fernando feels?" I was thinking that he must have been prepared for not winning during his first try, as the odds are very small. My son replied, "I'm sure he is used to it by now". Used to Honda engines blowing that is. We had a nice laugh as we drove through a very heavy storm, that arrived too late to ruin the race.

Next year Fernando, next year!!!

User avatar
F1nut
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by F1nut »

Care to guess what engine manufacturer Takuma Sato won with?

User avatar
mds
Posts: 11443
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by mds »

Herb Tarlik wrote: It was just gut wrenching to watch yet another blown Honda engine ruin Alonso's race. The stands we sat in erupted with boos for Honda and spit so many obscenities at Honda that I dare not write them here. The mods would take me to task. Were my son not next to me, I'd have sworn at Honda like a drunken sailor. Honda should simply leave the racing world. They are utterly out of their league. Yes a Honda won the race, but that's just due to statistics. There are so many there that one is bound to hold together while the rest blow.
Andretti's own words:
"I don't blame Honda at all," he said. "If anything, I blame all of us, pushing Honda so hard. They had come to us and said, 'We can give you a little less reliable engine and it would have more power,' so of course we said, 'Let's go for the power.' And when we did that, obviously, we knew there was going to be some sad faces."
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

F1nut wrote:Care to guess what engine manufacturer Takuma Sato won with?
Did you read the text above?

User avatar
Blinky McSquinty
Posts: 1457
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Thank you for this wonderful story Herb.

Isn't this what racing is supposed to be about, fans smiling, having fun, and enjoying each other's company? It gets beyond being more than special when you had this wonderful day with your son. And no doubt, his memories of that day will be with him for many, many years. Not only did you give him a good time, but also taught him how a good father should conduct himself, and this knowledge will make him a better man when he has children.

Yes, Fernando kicked off this chain of events, but you and your son were the main characters. He was the catalyst, you were the reaction.

Thank you very much Herb, this wonderful story truly made my day.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:Thank you for this wonderful story Herb.

Isn't this what racing is supposed to be about, fans smiling, having fun, and enjoying each other's company? It gets beyond being more than special when you had this wonderful day with your son. And no doubt, his memories of that day will be with him for many, many years. Not only did you give him a good time, but also taught him how a good father should conduct himself, and this knowledge will make him a better man when he has children.

Yes, Fernando kicked off this chain of events, but you and your son were the main characters. He was the catalyst, you were the reaction.

Thank you very much Herb, this wonderful story truly made my day.
You are very welcome. One other point I wanted to make was to state how utterly wrong many here (not you) when they claim (in the 2017 Indy 500 thread) anyone in the field can win a race like this. That's simply not true and greatly diminishes the skill that I saw first hand. A good part of the field simply had no chance at all winning this race. They were not quick and could never even hope to break the top ten.

Then there was the near endless wheel to wheel racing, at 225 mph! You cannot imagine how close the cars are until you see it live. Even more so, you cannot imagine the speed. I've seen F1 cars hit near 180 mph and this was waaay faster.

There's a lot of luck with the Indy 500. That's due to the length of the race and the nature of oval racing. None of that puts down at all the amazing skills that these drivers have. They put their lives on the line massively. The tremendous wreck that was seen during the race shows what happens when even a slight error is made. Just being lucky is not enough.

They have my utmost respect.

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8132
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Exediron »

Herb Tarlik wrote:One other point I wanted to make was to state how utterly wrong many here (not you) when they claim (in the 2017 Indy 500 thread) anyone in the field can win a race like this. That's simply not true and greatly diminishes the skill that I saw first hand. A good part of the field simply had no chance at all winning this race. They were not quick and could never even hope to break the top ten.
As one of the people who said that, it's not meant to be taken literally. Anyone who's on the lead lap with good pace and 20 laps to go can win, as evidenced by the fact that Helio almost won despite taking a drive-through and nearly going a lap down. People who say that aren't trying to imply there's no skill to winning, merely that luck plays a huge role. Take last year, for example: Rossi wouldn't have even finished if the race had lasted another lap, let alone won it.

That aside, it was my first Indy 500 experience, and I enjoyed it greatly. As a casual follower of IndyCar, I'd seen bits of the race on TV before, and without anyone in particular to follow I'd always found it too long and hard to get into. In person, with Alonso to cheer for, it was a completely different experience, and I actually found it highly entertaining. The speed is impressive of course, but they honestly don't look any faster than F1 cars on the straights, even if they are a little bit.

The engine noise I would say is individually probably not much louder, but it is deeper, and with so many cars and some of them always going past the sensation of the noise is certainly more. It's a less painful frequency for me personally, so while I can't watch a whole F1 GP without ear protection I was able to get away with it at Indy.

The only thing I'd do differently is I would not park at the Speedway again. I left my seat at 4:05 local time; reached the car (lot 1B) at 4:35. From then on, I sat in my car in line until 6:27, when I finally hit the street. By that time the heavens had opened and the field was soaked; heavy rain had produced mud, and my car was having enough trouble that I started to worry about it getting stuck. My hotel was only 2 miles away - I could have easily walked to and from in the time it took me just to reach the street!

If Alonso does the 500 again, I will probably do it with him. And after he's done, it's entirely possible the experience will have made a fan of me. I still prefer circuits to ovals, but I enjoyed the oval much more in person than I expected.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

User avatar
Covalent
Posts: 10155
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Covalent »

I was certain that if I read the whole OP it will turn out to be just another Honda bash veiled as something related to Alonso.

User avatar
nixxxon
Posts: 3767
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by nixxxon »

As an F1 fan, full respect to Indianapolis and the Indy 500 race.
We use to think in Europe that oval racing is boring and all that stuff, and we associate it to things like NASCAR and so on.
But Indy is no NASCAR, its a legendary and historic race that besides strategy and luck it takes skill and bravery.
Also they have come a long way in safety as seen in the cars, they are strong and safe.
And the crowd and everything are exceptional.
Again, respect.

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:One other point I wanted to make was to state how utterly wrong many here (not you) when they claim (in the 2017 Indy 500 thread) anyone in the field can win a race like this. That's simply not true and greatly diminishes the skill that I saw first hand. A good part of the field simply had no chance at all winning this race. They were not quick and could never even hope to break the top ten.
As one of the people who said that, it's not meant to be taken literally. Anyone who's on the lead lap with good pace and 20 laps to go can win, as evidenced by the fact that Helio almost won despite taking a drive-through and nearly going a lap down. People who say that aren't trying to imply there's no skill to winning, merely that luck plays a huge role. Take last year, for example: Rossi wouldn't have even finished if the race had lasted another lap, let alone won it.
I'm sure that the degree of luck to win an F1 race would go up substantially if the race length were 500 miles. That's a huge difference that most do not account for.
Exediron wrote: That aside, it was my first Indy 500 experience, and I enjoyed it greatly. As a casual follower of IndyCar, I'd seen bits of the race on TV before, and without anyone in particular to follow I'd always found it too long and hard to get into. In person, with Alonso to cheer for, it was a completely different experience, and I actually found it highly entertaining. The speed is impressive of course, but they honestly don't look any faster than F1 cars on the straights, even if they are a little bit.

The engine noise I would say is individually probably not much louder, but it is deeper, and with so many cars and some of them always going past the sensation of the noise is certainly more. It's a less painful frequency for me personally, so while I can't watch a whole F1 GP without ear protection I was able to get away with it at Indy.
I put in my ear plugs before they started the engines so did not hear them unprotected. That said, I agree with you that the sound was very different from an F1 engine, probably a bit louder but that may be due to my seat, which was in the grandstands opposite another grandstand, which amplified things considerably.
Exediron wrote: The only thing I'd do differently is I would not park at the Speedway again. I left my seat at 4:05 local time; reached the car (lot 1B) at 4:35. From then on, I sat in my car in line until 6:27, when I finally hit the street. By that time the heavens had opened and the field was soaked; heavy rain had produced mud, and my car was having enough trouble that I started to worry about it getting stuck. My hotel was only 2 miles away - I could have easily walked to and from in the time it took me just to reach the street!

If Alonso does the 500 again, I will probably do it with him. And after he's done, it's entirely possible the experience will have made a fan of me. I still prefer circuits to ovals, but I enjoyed the oval much more in person than I expected.
Yeah parking near the track turned out to be a pretty bad deal. I was planning on doing that but the traffic down Crawfordsville road was so heavy that I ended up parking about a mile away. That was a 20 minute walk to the speedway but turned out to be a REAL time saver. Like you I was out of the Speedway in 5 minutes, and after the 20 minute walk was in my car driving. 5 more minutes and I was on I-465. Traffic was very light and I never slowed down much after on the highway. I was amazed at how fast I got out of there. Oh well, next year for you. Now you know what to avoid. I paid $20 to park on someone's front lawn. Not bad at all.

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

nixxxon wrote:As an F1 fan, full respect to Indianapolis and the Indy 500 race.
We use to think in Europe that oval racing is boring and all that stuff, and we associate it to things like NASCAR and so on.
But Indy is no NASCAR, its a legendary and historic race that besides strategy and luck it takes skill and bravery.
Also they have come a long way in safety as seen in the cars, they are strong and safe.
And the crowd and everything are exceptional.
Again, respect.
:thumbup: :nod:

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Covalent wrote:I was certain that if I read the whole OP it will turn out to be just another Honda bash veiled as something related to Alonso.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DanF
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by DanF »

[quote="Herb Tarlik"]For coming to Indianapolis. Long ago I used to follow the 500, back when Foyt, Andretti, Cogan, Gurrero, Mears, Sullivan, Rahal, and a whole host of Unsers filled the field. I always wanted to attend this race but never got around to it. Then the CART/IRL split happened and I dropped Indy cars like a stone. Havent followed the series at all. Tony Kanaan was a rookie when I stopped watching. He was in yesterday's race.

Same here. Those early CART years were probably Indy's greatest. The semi-home grown DFX powering a number of unique and great cars: Chaparral 2K, Penske PC-6, 7, 9, and 10, Wildcats, Interscope "Batmobile," Gurney AAR with "BLAT" technology. By 1981 there was little technological difference between an F1 car like the FW07 and the leading Indycars. In fact, a license built FW07 ran at indy that year and was not a front runner. Who could forget the PC-10/Wildcat Mk.8B duels of 1982 (and not just at Indy). When F1 went flat bottom in 1983, Indycars (which retained skirtless ground effect) were arguably the most advanced racing cars around. The split really soured me on Indy. It just seemed like a power grab by Tony George. This was the first year I paid any attention to Indy since then. Fernando was the only reason I did.

I will say this. Indy cars are much safer than they used to be. I still remember Gordon Smiley's crash and how the aluminum tubbed car just disintegrated on impact. Bourdias' crash was similar and the tub held together. Dixon's crash would have killed anyone back in the "glory days" and he essentially walked away. Thank you John Barnard way back in 1981 for introducing carbon fiber tubs. There are a lot of people alive today because of that.

User avatar
F1 MERCENARY
Posts: 2387
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:One other point I wanted to make was to state how utterly wrong many here (not you) when they claim (in the 2017 Indy 500 thread) anyone in the field can win a race like this. That's simply not true and greatly diminishes the skill that I saw first hand. A good part of the field simply had no chance at all winning this race. They were not quick and could never even hope to break the top ten.
As one of the people who said that, it's not meant to be taken literally. Anyone who's on the lead lap with good pace and 20 laps to go can win, as evidenced by the fact that Helio almost won despite taking a drive-through and nearly going a lap down. People who say that aren't trying to imply there's no skill to winning, merely that luck plays a huge role. Take last year, for example: Rossi wouldn't have even finished if the race had lasted another lap, let alone won it.

That aside, it was my first Indy 500 experience, and I enjoyed it greatly. As a casual follower of IndyCar, I'd seen bits of the race on TV before, and without anyone in particular to follow I'd always found it too long and hard to get into. In person, with Alonso to cheer for, it was a completely different experience, and I actually found it highly entertaining. The speed is impressive of course, but they honestly don't look any faster than F1 cars on the straights, even if they are a little bit.

The engine noise I would say is individually probably not much louder, but it is deeper, and with so many cars and some of them always going past the sensation of the noise is certainly more. It's a less painful frequency for me personally, so while I can't watch a whole F1 GP without ear protection I was able to get away with it at Indy.

The only thing I'd do differently is I would not park at the Speedway again. I left my seat at 4:05 local time; reached the car (lot 1B) at 4:35. From then on, I sat in my car in line until 6:27, when I finally hit the street. By that time the heavens had opened and the field was soaked; heavy rain had produced mud, and my car was having enough trouble that I started to worry about it getting stuck. My hotel was only 2 miles away - I could have easily walked to and from in the time it took me just to reach the street!

If Alonso does the 500 again, I will probably do it with him. And after he's done, it's entirely possible the experience will have made a fan of me. I still prefer circuits to ovals, but I enjoyed the oval much more in person than I expected.
The noise levels of Indy today are a FAR cry from that of several generations ago. I have never had an issue with anything too loud outside the C.A.R.T./ChampCar cars because they were ludicrously and viciously loud to the point you can hear and feel them through sound-proof glass as if you were outside with them, and of course the V10 & V8 F1 engines. NASCAR is loud on a whole other level, but the current Indy Cars are definitely pretty loud and quite a bit more so than the V6 Hybrids of F1 today.

As for anyone having a shot to win it if they're on the lead lap with 20 laps or so to go… Again… Not so.

Danica Patrick had really excellent cars (comparative to the series - I feel all post ChampCar chassis have been rather lackluster) and was on the best team for several years yet she only won the single race. At Indy in particular she had stellar runs only to find out the hard way that in the end, it really boils down to the superior ability that only the top 5 -8 drivers posses, in successfully setting themselves up to make passes at ideal times and with pinpoint perfect positioning to make them stick. It very well MIGHT appear that anyone in the top 10 positions have a realistic shot, but that's not at all the case.

Alonso had a real shot though and even though he was technically a "Rookie" it was painfully obvious where he ranked among those in the race. To be as serious a contender on the mack daddy of super speedways on his very first try says a whole lot about how special Alonso truly is. How quickly he absorbs information, how quickly he figures out the intricacies of the track and how quickly he learns how to run in traffic and set himself up for drafts and passes were all on display in May 2017, and unfortunately the package the team opted for left itself open for failure. Had his engine held on to the end, he had a real and legitimate shot at reaching the checkered flag first. Sadly, we were robbed of watching it go down to the wire.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:One other point I wanted to make was to state how utterly wrong many here (not you) when they claim (in the 2017 Indy 500 thread) anyone in the field can win a race like this. That's simply not true and greatly diminishes the skill that I saw first hand. A good part of the field simply had no chance at all winning this race. They were not quick and could never even hope to break the top ten.
As one of the people who said that, it's not meant to be taken literally. Anyone who's on the lead lap with good pace and 20 laps to go can win, as evidenced by the fact that Helio almost won despite taking a drive-through and nearly going a lap down. People who say that aren't trying to imply there's no skill to winning, merely that luck plays a huge role. Take last year, for example: Rossi wouldn't have even finished if the race had lasted another lap, let alone won it.

That aside, it was my first Indy 500 experience, and I enjoyed it greatly. As a casual follower of IndyCar, I'd seen bits of the race on TV before, and without anyone in particular to follow I'd always found it too long and hard to get into. In person, with Alonso to cheer for, it was a completely different experience, and I actually found it highly entertaining. The speed is impressive of course, but they honestly don't look any faster than F1 cars on the straights, even if they are a little bit.

The engine noise I would say is individually probably not much louder, but it is deeper, and with so many cars and some of them always going past the sensation of the noise is certainly more. It's a less painful frequency for me personally, so while I can't watch a whole F1 GP without ear protection I was able to get away with it at Indy.

The only thing I'd do differently is I would not park at the Speedway again. I left my seat at 4:05 local time; reached the car (lot 1B) at 4:35. From then on, I sat in my car in line until 6:27, when I finally hit the street. By that time the heavens had opened and the field was soaked; heavy rain had produced mud, and my car was having enough trouble that I started to worry about it getting stuck. My hotel was only 2 miles away - I could have easily walked to and from in the time it took me just to reach the street!

If Alonso does the 500 again, I will probably do it with him. And after he's done, it's entirely possible the experience will have made a fan of me. I still prefer circuits to ovals, but I enjoyed the oval much more in person than I expected.
The noise levels of Indy today are a FAR cry from that of several generations ago. I have never had an issue with anything too loud outside the C.A.R.T./ChampCar cars because they were ludicrously and viciously loud to the point you can hear and feel them through sound-proof glass as if you were outside with them, and of course the V10 & V8 F1 engines. NASCAR is loud on a whole other level, but the current Indy Cars are definitely pretty loud and quite a bit more so than the V6 Hybrids of F1 today.

As for anyone having a shot to win it if they're on the lead lap with 20 laps or so to go… Again… Not so.

Danica Patrick had really excellent cars (comparative to the series - I feel all post ChampCar chassis have been rather lackluster) and was on the best team for several years yet she only won the single race. At Indy in particular she had stellar runs only to find out the hard way that in the end, it really boils down to the superior ability that only the top 5 -8 drivers posses, in successfully setting themselves up to make passes at ideal times and with pinpoint perfect positioning to make them stick. It very well MIGHT appear that anyone in the top 10 positions have a realistic shot, but that's not at all the case.

Alonso had a real shot though and even though he was technically a "Rookie" it was painfully obvious where he ranked among those in the race. To be as serious a contender on the mack daddy of super speedways on his very first try says a whole lot about how special Alonso truly is. How quickly he absorbs information, how quickly he figures out the intricacies of the track and how quickly he learns how to run in traffic and set himself up for drafts and passes were all on display in May 2017, and unfortunately the package the team opted for left itself open for failure. Had his engine held on to the end, he had a real and legitimate shot at reaching the checkered flag first. Sadly, we were robbed of watching it go down to the wire.
Very well stated.

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8132
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Exediron »

Herb Tarlik wrote:Yeah parking near the track turned out to be a pretty bad deal. I was planning on doing that but the traffic down Crawfordsville road was so heavy that I ended up parking about a mile away. That was a 20 minute walk to the speedway but turned out to be a REAL time saver. Like you I was out of the Speedway in 5 minutes, and after the 20 minute walk was in my car driving. 5 more minutes and I was on I-465. Traffic was very light and I never slowed down much after on the highway. I was amazed at how fast I got out of there. Oh well, next year for you. Now you know what to avoid. I paid $20 to park on someone's front lawn. Not bad at all.
Yeah, I actually saw all those $20 parking signs along the way (I came up Layfette, but I'm sure it was the same idea) and when traffic started to back up I was seriously considering ditching my $40 lot 1B parking and just diving into a yard or business lot. The only reason I didn't was that I'd left myself just $10 in cash and I couldn't pay for it! :lol:

(I thought my hotel would have an ATM, but it didn't...)
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:Yeah parking near the track turned out to be a pretty bad deal. I was planning on doing that but the traffic down Crawfordsville road was so heavy that I ended up parking about a mile away. That was a 20 minute walk to the speedway but turned out to be a REAL time saver. Like you I was out of the Speedway in 5 minutes, and after the 20 minute walk was in my car driving. 5 more minutes and I was on I-465. Traffic was very light and I never slowed down much after on the highway. I was amazed at how fast I got out of there. Oh well, next year for you. Now you know what to avoid. I paid $20 to park on someone's front lawn. Not bad at all.
Yeah, I actually saw all those $20 parking signs along the way (I came up Layfette, but I'm sure it was the same idea) and when traffic started to back up I was seriously considering ditching my $40 lot 1B parking and just diving into a yard or business lot. The only reason I didn't was that I'd left myself just $10 in cash and I couldn't pay for it! :lol:

(I thought my hotel would have an ATM, but it didn't...)
Well at least it didnt rain. I dont think I've ever checked the weather forecast so much in one week my entire life!!

:thumbup:

Nosebuckle
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Nosebuckle »

Herb Tarlik wrote:Next year Fernando, next year!!!
:thumbup: :)

Great write up of your first 500 experience. It recalled for me when when my dad took me to see the first of three 500's we've attended together - mine was in 1994 when the Penske's dominated the entire month and of course the race. Very nice to hear you were able to experience this with your son, no doubt he loved it.

User avatar
jimmyj
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by jimmyj »

Fernando's rookie of the race speech, with some highlights, and then a bit of a podium interview at the end. It's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s69XiUdzbWg

from eyewitness news, a good hd version of the event, there are lots of other versions but a lot of them are poor quality.

Regarding parking, we parked on a lawn just outside of the track parking lot. We left the track at 4:05 also and ran to our car. We were on the freeway in literally 6 minutes. What a great race, I've already booked my hotel for next year. We are going to buy Penthouse B tickets from a scalper for next year, just once I want to sit in the primo seats, even if it's a bit more expensive.

Herb Tarlik
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by Herb Tarlik »

jimmyj wrote:Fernando's rookie of the race speech, with some highlights, and then a bit of a podium interview at the end. It's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s69XiUdzbWg

from eyewitness news, a good hd version of the event, there are lots of other versions but a lot of them are poor quality.

Regarding parking, we parked on a lawn just outside of the track parking lot. We left the track at 4:05 also and ran to our car. We were on the freeway in literally 6 minutes. What a great race, I've already booked my hotel for next year. We are going to buy Penthouse B tickets from a scalper for next year, just once I want to sit in the primo seats, even if it's a bit more expensive.

What a great speech. I'm even more a fan of Fernando now. It's clear that going to Indy has had a great effect on him. I hope he comes back next year.

User avatar
jimmyj
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by jimmyj »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
jimmyj wrote:Fernando's rookie of the race speech, with some highlights, and then a bit of a podium interview at the end. It's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s69XiUdzbWg

from eyewitness news, a good hd version of the event, there are lots of other versions but a lot of them are poor quality.

Regarding parking, we parked on a lawn just outside of the track parking lot. We left the track at 4:05 also and ran to our car. We were on the freeway in literally 6 minutes. What a great race, I've already booked my hotel for next year. We are going to buy Penthouse B tickets from a scalper for next year, just once I want to sit in the primo seats, even if it's a bit more expensive.

What a great speech. I'm even more a fan of Fernando now. It's clear that going to Indy has had a great effect on him. I hope he comes back next year.
I feel exactly the same way. I met him briefly on autograph day (along with about 1000 others haha), he was very friendly and nice.

trento
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:06 pm

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by trento »

Before the engine blew up, which position was he in?

User avatar
jimmyj
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Thank you Fernando!

Post by jimmyj »

trento wrote:Before the engine blew up, which position was he in?
At that time he was in 7th. He'd been running between 4th and 1st the whole day until the last round of yellows and pit stops during which he got cycle a bit further back (disappointingly). He had a super strong car though and he was due for a strong finish.

Post Reply