Please read the forum rules
GingerFurball

Re: Silly season 2018

Post by GingerFurball »

Zoue wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
pokerman wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
pokerman wrote: I believe it was for 2008 when Alonso got offered the Red Bull seat along with the Honda seat that later turned into a Mercedes seat.

Anyway it would be a bit crazy for either Vettel or Hamilton to take the McLaren Honda seat.
I think that's right, and nobody then said he was crazy to turn down those seats, neither of which looked that promising at the time. Many, however, love to make a big deal of it, as if they would have jumped on those opportunities. Hindsight, as always, is 20/20.
Indeed but Red Bull did have Adrian Newey, were Renault really the better option at that time?
Adrian Newey wouldn't have been a draw card in 2008.
He had plenty of success before Red Bull
But absolutely none in the decade between 2000 to 2009.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

GingerFurball wrote:
Zoue wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
pokerman wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote: I think that's right, and nobody then said he was crazy to turn down those seats, neither of which looked that promising at the time. Many, however, love to make a big deal of it, as if they would have jumped on those opportunities. Hindsight, as always, is 20/20.
Indeed but Red Bull did have Adrian Newey, were Renault really the better option at that time?
Not really true. Between 2000 and 2006 his cars finished lower than 3rd only once. His cars won races every season apart from 2006 - which was a success in itself - and in 2005 they were unlucky not to win the title. Having a Newey car was a reasonable guarantee of fighting at the front.

From 2007 onwards he was in a rebuilding phase at Red Bull, but his 2009 car was a title contender, getting poles and winning races. He was still one of the top designers in F1

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote: Would be desperately ironic for Alonso if he left McLaren only for them to surge to the front with Vettel.

He rejects an offer from Red Bull for 2009, only for Seb to take the seat and start his run of titles. He then leaves Ferrari after getting frustrated with lack of progress, only for Seb to take the seat and start challenging for a title. And if he leaves McLaren for Seb to replace him and start winning, it's going to be three consecutive times Seb has benefited at Alonso's expense. That would definitely hurt!
I believe it was for 2008 when Alonso got offered the Red Bull seat along with the Honda seat that later turned into a Mercedes seat.

Anyway it would be a bit crazy for either Vettel or Hamilton to take the McLaren Honda seat.
I think that's right, and nobody then said he was crazy to turn down those seats, neither of which looked that promising at the time. Many, however, love to make a big deal of it, as if they would have jumped on those opportunities. Hindsight, as always, is 20/20.
You're looking at it with the benefit of hindsight. Newey had just come off a period of being pretty ordinary and had never looked lke winning anything. Renault had won both championships 13 months before Alonso resigned.
True but I guess you need that foresight to see which option had the most potential, Red Bull themselves certainly believed in Newey.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

GingerFurball wrote:
pokerman wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote: Would be desperately ironic for Alonso if he left McLaren only for them to surge to the front with Vettel.

He rejects an offer from Red Bull for 2009, only for Seb to take the seat and start his run of titles. He then leaves Ferrari after getting frustrated with lack of progress, only for Seb to take the seat and start challenging for a title. And if he leaves McLaren for Seb to replace him and start winning, it's going to be three consecutive times Seb has benefited at Alonso's expense. That would definitely hurt!
I believe it was for 2008 when Alonso got offered the Red Bull seat along with the Honda seat that later turned into a Mercedes seat.

He was a draw card for Red Bull.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Well it was a Newey designed car that enticed Alonso to sign for McLaren, I guess he needed to see the car winning in the first place to sign for Red Bull, it doesn't always work like that.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

GingerFurball wrote:
Zoue wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
pokerman wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote: I think that's right, and nobody then said he was crazy to turn down those seats, neither of which looked that promising at the time. Many, however, love to make a big deal of it, as if they would have jumped on those opportunities. Hindsight, as always, is 20/20.
His cars won plenty of races during that period, you might even say that If Alonso had been driving himself then maybe titles would have come as well?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Apparently Sergio Marchionne has offered £120 million for a 3 year extended contract to Vettel.

Raikkonen has also been offered a £5 million contract for 1 year.

Both of them have to still accept the offers.
http://en.f1i.com/news/273700-marchionn ... table.html
Feel The Fourth

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

And apparently it's Seb demanding Kimi gets another year if he is to extend. Courtesy David Croft Sky broadcast.

Pinch as much salt as you need.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Lotus49 wrote:And apparently it's Seb demanding Kimi gets another year if he is to extend. Courtesy David Croft Sky broadcast.

:lol:

yes I heard that, too. I can see where he's coming from, but OTOH Kimi is costing the team in the WCC.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Lotus49 wrote:And apparently it's Seb demanding Kimi gets another year if he is to extend. Courtesy David Croft Sky broadcast.

Well, how shall he handle a quicker teammate? Vettel knows his limits.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Zoue wrote:

yes I heard that, too. I can see where he's coming from, but OTOH Kimi is costing the team in the WCC.
Don't be so daft Zoue, it's Pirelli that are the problem :uhoh: ;) :?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:Apparently Sergio Marchionne has offered £120 million for a 3 year extended contract to Vettel.

Is there any kind of deadline for this, I know they like to get these deals sorted over the summer break?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:Apparently Sergio Marchionne has offered £120 million for a 3 year extended contract to Vettel.

Is there any kind of deadline for this, I know they like to get these deals sorted over the summer break?
In the article it's mentioned, Ferrari would like to have their drivers confirmed by Monza.
Feel The Fourth

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Option or Prime wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Ha! Well, I'm absolutely not a fan of the way the Pirellis are so temperamental and have to be so tightly managed and how much they influence the racing, although they are a vast improvement on the comedy tyres we've had before. And, in all seriousness, I can't understand how Kimi can be often so close to Vettel in qualifying, yet so so far behind him race pace, if not for what I believe to be the way he struggles to get the best out of the tyres. I suspect if we had Michelins (pipe dream, I know!) or even proper performance tyres with healthy tyre competition, then we'd be seeing a much quicker Kimi. But the bottom line is these tyres are what we have and if he really can't deal with them, then he doesn't belong in the car. Or at least, certainly not in a front running car. I accept he's been a bit unlucky but there's no way he should be trailing the others as much as he is. Bottas is showing what should be expected from a number two driver, while Kimi certainly isn't, much less what should be expected from a former WDC. Bottom line is he's costing Ferrari

jasonthebadger

Post by jasonthebadger »

Zoue wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Ha! Well, I'm absolutely not a fan of the way the Pirellis are so temperamental and have to be so tightly managed and how much they influence the racing, although they are a vast improvement on the comedy tyres we've had before. And, in all seriousness, I can't understand how Kimi can be often so close to Vettel in qualifying, yet so so far behind him race pace, if not for what I believe to be the way he struggles to get the best out of the tyres. I suspect if we had Michelins (pipe dream, I know!) or even proper performance tyres with healthy tyre competition, then we'd be seeing a much quicker Kimi. But the bottom line is these tyres are what we have and if he really can't deal with them, then he doesn't belong in the car. Or at least, certainly not in a front running car. I accept he's been a bit unlucky but there's no way he should be trailing the others as much as he is. Bottas is showing what should be expected from a number two driver, while Kimi certainly isn't, much less what should be expected from a former WDC. Bottom line is he's costing Ferrari
It could be the tyres but to me, It's almost like he loses concentration during a race because he can be quick but not for long periods.
He starts generally pretty well and is normally fast for a few laps once pitted, then just tapers off.
Either that or it could be a fitness/age thing, the talent is still there though.
Could be motivation too, He'd know better than anyone that if a Ferrari driver is gonna win a WDC it's gonna be Vettel no matter how well he drives.
Any and all opinions are my own, they do not reflect the opinions of the FIA, FOM, Teams, Drivers, PlanetF1, Phase of the Moon, Rotation of the Earth or Aliens.

Placid

Post by Placid »

I like to see Rossi throw his name on the hat once again. Even if it means driving a backmarker.

moby

Post by moby »

Placid wrote:I like to see Rossi throw his name on the hat once again. Even if it means driving a backmarker.
I also like Rossi and believe he should have kept a seat in F1, but I think the boat has sailed there. He is fine where he is at the moment.

If he came to F1 it would be in the bottom half, and he is as good as anyone where he is.
Maybe there will be a place for him when 'the old guard' retire from F1, but right now It would be a backward step for him.

A straight swap with Alonso would be the only good option, and, I must admit I am not Alonso's biggest fan, but do consider him one of the top 3 drivers, is unlikely to happen because Alonso is a sponsor magnet

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Should I mention other driver(s) that desire(s) noticeably slower team mates, or should we prevent the outburst of fire? The fact is, it's not Vettel's specialty.
The end is near

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Should I mention other driver(s) that desire(s) noticeably slower team mates, or should we prevent the outburst of fire? The fact is, it's not Vettel's specialty.
Let me guess! Is he flamboyant?
Feel The Fourth

justbeingmiko

Post by justbeingmiko »

Vettel asking for a team mate that he likes working with...who does that in the world!! ;)

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Let me guess! Is he flamboyant?
Positive. :)
The end is near

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Force India have commenced talks with Perez for 2018:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... z-for-2018

I'm sure Perez won't sign the doted line till things are clear at Ferrari. There are 1 or 2 teams supposedly interested in Perez so he may take his time to decide this time.
Feel The Fourth

Robot

Post by Robot »

justbeingmiko wrote:Vettel asking for a team mate that he likes working with...who does that in the world!! ;)

Is he asking for Ricciardo?, he is a funny guy, I bet Vettel will like to work with him again.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Gene Haas is atleast confirming Magnussen & Grosjean for 2018 at Haas:
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/-229 ... n-for-2018
Feel The Fourth

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

I was sort of expecting Leclerc at Haas, so that's a little surprising.

Here's an wild thought: Ferrari sign Perez and then loan Force India Leclerc?
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:I was sort of expecting Leclerc at Haas, so that's a little surprising.

Here's an wild thought: Ferrari sign Perez and then loan Force India Leclerc?
All of this is only possible if Kimi decides to retire (as supposedly he has been offered 1 year deal for 2018).

Perez to Ferrari would be a no-brainer but Leclerc (Ferrari protege) getting lined with Ocon (Mercedes protege) would put too much on the plate for Force India.
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I am surprised. Grosjean seams such a frustrated figure I was sure he would move on. It will be a travesty if a driver can have as good a F2 season as Leclerc but not find a drive in F1.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

I was fully expecting Haas to hold on to both. They've seemed very happy with both drivers all year. My guess for Grosjean is that (a) he still feels it's his best chance at a future Ferrari seat and/or (b) nobody else is making him any offers
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mikeyg123 wrote:I am surprised. Grosjean seams such a frustrated figure I was sure he would move on. It will be a travesty if a driver can have as good a F2 season as Leclerc but not find a drive in F1.
Gene Haas wanted continuity. Hence, he retained them irrespective of the moaning of the brakes.
Feel The Fourth

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Ouch bad news for Giovinazzi and Leclerc. It's also not a good idea for Ferrari to keep two talented drivers on the sidelines like that, they need the experience and Ferrari also risk another team poaching them.

IMO Ferrari should do a deal with Sauber for cheaper engines in return for a Leclerc and Giovinazzi lineup there. I guess the issue is Sauber would lose the Ericsson money so Ferrari's deal would need to be enough to cover it.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Ouch bad news for Giovinazzi and Leclerc. It's also not a good idea for Ferrari to keep two talented drivers on the sidelines like that, they need the experience and Ferrari also risk another team poaching them.

IMO Ferrari should do a deal with Sauber for cheaper engines in return for a Leclerc and Giovinazzi lineup there. I guess the issue is Sauber would lose the Ericsson money so Ferrari's deal would need to be enough to cover it.
Ericsson's sponsors basically own the team now so he won't get dumped. That does leave one seat open though.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:Ouch bad news for Giovinazzi and Leclerc. It's also not a good idea for Ferrari to keep two talented drivers on the sidelines like that, they need the experience and Ferrari also risk another team poaching them.

Ericsson's sponsors basically own the team now so he won't get dumped. That does leave one seat open though.
The silly season is more like domino's that will only fall in place when a top seat gets empty or filled (retained). A lot of things would get clear only when Kimi's & Alonso's moves are finalized. If one or both get retained, no one moves up. If either of them retire, then there will be promotions through the field right up to Sauber.
Feel The Fourth

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

mikeyg123 wrote:I am surprised. Grosjean seams such a frustrated figure I was sure he would move on. It will be a travesty if a driver can have as good a F2 season as Leclerc but not find a drive in F1.
Well, three team slots in F1 are vacated, that makes six driver places missing ...

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Williams are still not wanting to initiate contract negotiations with Massa. Even though Massa is wanting a contract negotiation, Williams are trying to pt their focus on the '17 season. Wonder if they have someone else in mind for Massa's seat.
http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2017/ ... iver-line/
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

UnlikeUday wrote:Williams are still not wanting to initiate contract negotiations with Massa. Even though Massa is wanting a contract negotiation, Williams are trying to pt their focus on the '17 season. Wonder if they have someone else in mind for Massa's seat.
I could see Perez slotting in there.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:Williams are still not wanting to initiate contract negotiations with Massa. Even though Massa is wanting a contract negotiation, Williams are trying to pt their focus on the '17 season. Wonder if they have someone else in mind for Massa's seat.
I read somewhere that as per rumours in Silverstone among journos, Williams & Renault are both interested in Perez. Last year, Perez's sponsors collectively decided to go against Perez joining Renault due to non surety of development / progress. I'm sure Perez had kept & is still keeping an eye on Kimi's seat. If Kimi is retained (most likely), I wonder if he'll want to spend 1 more year in Force India.
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I read somewhere that as per rumours in Silverstone among journos, Williams & Renault are both interested in Perez. Last year, Perez's sponsors collectively decided to go against Perez joining Renault due to non surety of development / progress. I'm sure Perez had kept & is still keeping an eye on Kimi's seat. If Kimi is retained (most likely), I wonder if he'll want to spend 1 more year in Force India.
I don't really see the value of staying at FI if other options are on the table. They are never going to deliver a championship and he has nothing left to prove there.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't really see the value of staying at FI if other options are on the table. They are never going to deliver a championship and he has nothing left to prove there.
Yeah. There's atleast a 80% chance he'll leave Force India. Imagine him pairing Hulk again at Renault! Williams I doubt he'll go to but not 100% ruled out yet. Williams are also not in a hurry to re-sign Massa.

If Perez leaves, would Force India go after Wehrlein? I thought Grosjean was an option but he'll remain with Haas. Don't think Ferrari proteges such as Leclerc or Giovinazzi would get a seat at Merc powered FI.
Feel The Fourth

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Yeah. There's atleast a 80% chance he'll leave Force India. Imagine him pairing Hulk again at Renault! Williams I doubt he'll go to but not 100% ruled out yet. Williams are also not in a hurry to re-sign Massa.

If Perez leaves, would Force India go after Wehrlein? I thought Grosjean was an option but he'll remain with Haas. Don't think Ferrari proteges such as Leclerc or Giovinazzi would get a seat at Merc powered FI.
Why not? Wehrlein's driving a car with a Ferrari engine. Sure, it's a year old, but it didn't stop Merc placing him there. If Ferrari have the choice between placing Leclerc or Giovinazzi at Force India - a strong midfield team, one that gives them the chance to be scoring points - or leaving them off the grid entirely I'm 100% certain they would do the former. Besides, it's not like the driver is going to learn all kinds of insider information by driving another manufacturer's engine.

As far as Perez goes, if he doesn't get a seat at Ferrari, I'd still say that Renault represent the better long-term option. As I said last year, fighting for the occasional podium is the maximum he's ever going to get at Force India, with all due respect to that team. Renault have the resources to ultimately end up winning races and titles. Whether they fulfil that potential is another matter, but while FI are a Mercedes customer team, they're not going to reach that level.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

I'd be happy if either get a chance to drive full time in FI. On the other end, Ocon will have already gotten a full calendar year's experience.

I just read an article which states that Perez could be in contention for 3 teams (Ferrari, Renault & Williams). There's every likelihood he's leaving FI at the end of the year. Either Ferrari or Renault can only give him race winning cars.

Perez's vacant seat also will be a prized seat. I thought Grosjean had a good chance to go there. Even though Haas said both his drivers will be there for 2018, it's not official though.
Feel The Fourth