2017 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

2017 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

Oh boy oh boy...tomorrow's race is poised to be super exciting.

How many safety cars could we expect?
Feel The Fourth

ReservoirDog

Re: 2017 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by ReservoirDog »

Vettel, Bottas, Verstappen

Kimi to bin it. And LH in 9th.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

ReservoirDog wrote:Vettel, Bottas, Verstappen

Kimi to bin it. And LH in 9th.
Even though Kimi did qualify on pole, a good result will be crucial as Ferrari wish to win the WCC title as well. Also if he stays or not in 2018, this race could play a deciding factor.
Feel The Fourth

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Does anyone know if Ferrari have stuck with the new start system they tried on Vettel's car in Spain?

If so, does anyone know if Kimi has it now too?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Does anyone know if Ferrari have stuck with the new start system they tried on Vettel's car in Spain?

I believe Kimi doesn't want it.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:Does anyone know if Ferrari have stuck with the new start system they tried on Vettel's car in Spain?

Well that could make the start very interesting tomorrow :]

BlackMan

Post by BlackMan »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Well that could make the start very interesting tomorrow :]
I expect the Ferrari's to switch position into pits if Vettel can't get the job done by turn1. Anyway atleast 1 SC is scheduled with Stroll and Palmer on the grid which could throw away all the strategies for this race.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

With Ferrari getting pole position (with Kimi behind the wheel who's supposedly slower than Vettel), gives us any indication that Ferrari are close to level with Mercedes (if not completely on same level) to make this season a very memorable one?
Feel The Fourth

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

UnlikeUday wrote:With Ferrari getting pole position (with Kimi behind the wheel who's supposedly slower than Vettel), gives us any indication that Ferrari are close to level with Mercedes (if not completely on same level) to make this season a very memorable one?
Honestly, I think it's been clear all season long that the Ferrari is the slightly quicker car. Yes, Merc has a little extra in Q3 most of the time, but the Ferrari could have won every race without some bad luck. Yes, it's close, and that should make for a great season - but if there's any level to be on, I don't think it's Mercedes'.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

I think Hamilton should take the inside line and prepare himself to "cut" the first corner if anything bad happens in front(like himself and Alonso did in Sochi in 2016).
The outside is to be avoided.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

UnlikeUday wrote:With Ferrari getting pole position (with Kimi behind the wheel who's supposedly slower than Vettel), gives us any indication that Ferrari are close to level with Mercedes (if not completely on same level) to make this season a very memorable one?
I don't know that Monaco is the best evidence. On paper the tight and twisty nature of the circuit should favour a shorter wheelbase anyway, which frankly makes Bottas' effort all the more impressive.

It's clear the cars are very close. To me it looks like Vettel is making the difference, as if he wasn't there the Ferrari wouldn't look nearly as quick. Take a look at Kimi for evidence of that (this pole notwithstanding). To me the Mercs look the faster car, mitigated somewhat by Ferrari's better tyre wear. Although even that is only apparent in Vettel's hands, as Kimi doesn't seem to make his tyres last anywhere near as long. Either team could have won all five races, but Ferrari could only have won any of them with one driver

The evidence suggests also that the Merc is harder to set up right. When they get it right, they are clearly quicker. But it seems more of a lottery for them.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Zoue wrote:
I don't know that Monaco is the best evidence. On paper the tight and twisty nature of the circuit should favour a shorter wheelbase anyway, which frankly makes Bottas' effort all the more impressive.

It's clear the cars are very close. To me it looks like Vettel is making the difference, as if he wasn't there the Ferrari wouldn't look nearly as quick. Take a look at Kimi for evidence of that (this pole notwithstanding). To me the Mercs look the faster car, mitigated somewhat by Ferrari's better tyre wear. Although even that is only apparent in Vettel's hands, as Kimi doesn't seem to make his tyres last anywhere near as long. Either team could have won all five races, but Ferrari could only have won any of them with one driver

The evidence suggests also that the Merc is harder to set up right. When they get it right, they are clearly quicker. But it seems more of a lottery for them.
It's certainly very close over the season. Ferrari have the edge here and I think probably a slight edge over the season. Very hard to judge though. It's close enough that it could be the drivers making the difference either way.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Zoue wrote:

Do you mean in qualifying or races because in races I have seen nothing that tells me the Merc is clearly faster than the Ferrari. I believe taking everything into consideration the Ferrari is slightly quicker in races, most pundits I watch seem to think the same.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Do you mean in qualifying or races because in races I have seen nothing that tells me the Merc is clearly faster than the Ferrari. I believe taking everything into consideration the Ferrari is slightly quicker in races, most pundits I watch seem to think the same.
It's all in the post. Not sure what else you need me to add?

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Zoue wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

You seem to just keep banging the same drum about Mercedes being clearly quicker. All I have seen is most experts/pundits agree that the Ferrari is overall slightly better. I just get the impression that even if Ferrari won the next 5 races by 30 seconds you would still say the Merc is faster.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

You seem to just keep banging the same drum about Mercedes being clearly quicker. All I have seen is most experts/pundits agree that the Ferrari is overall slightly better. I just get the impression that even if Ferrari won the next 5 races by 30 seconds you would still say the Merc is faster.
Easy, tiger. Not sure the hostility is called for.

I responded to a question on whether the Ferrari was close to the Mercedes. I wasn't aware I was only allowed to respond in one way. I'm just calling it how I see it. Don't know why this should get your back up?

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

It's certainly very close over the season. Ferrari have the edge here and I think probably a slight edge over the season. Very hard to judge though. It's close enough that it could be the drivers making the difference either way.
Performance of the top two teams is very close right now. It seems that Mercedes, as a team, are a little bit rattled now that they have a competitor matching them race after race. It's possible that they are now trying some riskier approaches, hence we see Bottas retire with a mechanical failure in Spain, and now Hamilton having major setup issues. In the prior three seasons they could almost always run well within their means so they looked almost flawless. Most of the drama was related to their drivers battling it out for the WDC with the WCC never in doubt.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

SmoothRide wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Performance of the top two teams is very close right now. It seems that Mercedes, as a team, are a little bit rattled now that they have a competitor matching them race after race. It's possible that they are now trying some riskier approaches, hence we see Bottas retire with a mechanical failure in Spain, and now Hamilton having major setup issues. In the prior three seasons they could almost always run well within their means so they looked almost flawless. Most of the drama was related to their drivers battling it out for the WDC with the WCC never in doubt.

Exactly now they have to run at full chart to stop Ferrari!

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

If the Ultras can go the distance could Mercedes start Lewis on the Super Soft then punt them off after a lap and gamble on coming through the field when others stop/safety car coming out?

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

GingerFurball wrote:If the Ultras can go the distance could Mercedes start Lewis on the Super Soft then punt them off after a lap and gamble on coming through the field when others stop/safety car coming out?
I think this is Hamilton's best chance to overtake some cars. Put the US on after one lap and you would have lots of clear air to put in fast laps if the car is fast enough. Other cars will be stuck in traffic.

Doing what every other driver will do and I can't see Hamilton making up many places.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

j man

Post by j man »

GingerFurball wrote:If the Ultras can go the distance could Mercedes start Lewis on the Super Soft then punt them off after a lap and gamble on coming through the field when others stop/safety car coming out?
It's a sound idea but I suspect he's starting too far forward for it to pay off. There's a real risk of being bottled up behind a Sauber for half the race while the rest of the field scamper away.

Unless we have a crazy race and/or variable weather I think the best Lewis can hope for is to follow the train, make up a couple of places during the pitstops, hope a few drop out ahead of him and come home in the lower reaches of the points.

jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

My friends and I were also discussing possible pit strategies for Lewis. It's going to be very interesting to see how the different teams react to safety car opportunities. I can't wait to see the race.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Rosberg pulled off a similar strategy after flat spotting his tires in lap 1 at Russia a couple of years back. But that was Russia not Monaco so I don't know about being able to clear a long running Sauber or two fast enough on a narrower track with wider cars.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

RaggedMan wrote:Rosberg pulled off a similar strategy after flat spotting his tires in lap 1 at Russia a couple of years back. But that was Russia not Monaco so I don't know about being able to clear a long running Sauber or two fast enough on a narrower track with wider cars.
Mercedes were over a second faster than everyone then!

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

j man wrote:
It's a sound idea but I suspect he's starting too far forward for it to pay off. There's a real risk of being bottled up behind a Sauber for half the race while the rest of the field scamper away.

Unless we have a crazy race and/or variable weather I think the best Lewis can hope for is to follow the train, make up a couple of places during the pitstops, hope a few drop out ahead of him and come home in the lower reaches of the points.
Yeah I agree, I don't think it's a viable gamble when he's already close to the points. Someone like Button on the other hand...

I think an interesting one is Ferrari. What happens if, say, Kimi is leading Seb 1-2 and there's a Safety Car on Lap 10. It looks like the whole field are going to head to the pits to get the pitstop out of the way. Do they double stack and risk putting Seb back near (or even behind) Lewis?
I guess the most sensible thing would be to pit Kimi and leave Seb out and it would be up to him to open a gap over whoever is in 2nd (most likely a midfield gambler... could be Lewis!)
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

jimmyj wrote:My friends and I were also discussing possible pit strategies for Lewis. It's going to be very interesting to see how the different teams react to safety car opportunities. I can't wait to see the race.
I'm sure there will be atleast 1 safety car appearance.
Feel The Fourth

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

Yeah I agree, I don't think it's a viable gamble when he's already close to the points. Someone like Button on the other hand...

I think an interesting one is Ferrari. What happens if, say, Kimi is leading Seb 1-2 and there's a Safety Car on Lap 10. It looks like the whole field are going to head to the pits to get the pitstop out of the way. Do they double stack and risk putting Seb back near (or even behind) Lewis?
I guess the most sensible thing would be to pit Kimi and leave Seb out and it would be up to him to open a gap over whoever is in 2nd (most likely a midfield gambler... could be Lewis!)
Ferrari have to give priority to whatever helps Seb win the race. I feel sorry for Kimi, but it is clear only Seb can win the drivers championship for Ferrari. And with Hamilton likely to be struggling to score points at all, Ferrari must take full advantage of this opportunity and maximise the points for Seb.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

MasterRacer wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

Ferrari have to give priority to whatever helps Seb win the race. I feel sorry for Kimi, but it is clear only Seb can win the drivers championship for Ferrari. And with Hamilton likely to be struggling to score points at all, Ferrari must take full advantage of this opportunity and maximise the points for Seb.
It would be interesting to see how they'd handle it. The old management had no problem making blatant team orders. Doing something like leaving Kimi out while the rest of the field pits would be something similar to what the old management were known for - sacrificing the No. 2
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

mcdo wrote: It would be interesting to see how they'd handle it. The old management had no problem making blatant team orders. Doing something like leaving Kimi out while the rest of the field pits would be something similar to what the old management were known for - sacrificing the No. 2
Given that they've already hung him out to dry on tyres this season already, this seems most likely. Kimi might just box anyway though

Caserole of Nonsense

Post by Caserole of Nonsense »

mcdo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

It would be interesting to see how they'd handle it. The old management had no problem making blatant team orders. Doing something like leaving Kimi out while the rest of the field pits would be something similar to what the old management were known for - sacrificing the No. 2
if there is a safety car early none of the front runners will pit imo cos of low deg its not worth it unless your gonna do the rest on the supers which arent as quick. if there is one mid race it will be interesting.

although there is low deg there will be a point where the undercut will work surely. dont know what lap but that could be how they swap kimi and vettel around if they feel they have to do it today. if kimi pits for supers and vettel does purples on his purples. i just hope its a fair fight, which with ferrari is anything but guaranteed. they will probably screw them both over and hand the win to bot/ver/ric

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

Is Kimi gonna be allowed to win or will he have to let Vettel by?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Ocon wrote:Is Kimi gonna be allowed to win or will he have to let Vettel by?
100% sure it's gonna be Vettel.

They'll do it diplomatically by either calling Raikkonen early or by delaying his pit stop. Vettel is in the running for the WDC race, not Raikkonen.
Feel The Fourth

Underviewer

Post by Underviewer »

It would make total sense from a championship perspective to let Vettel by. However, there will be a huge backlash if there is a hint that strategies were manipulated or Kimi is told to let Vettel by. I don't think Ferrari will be afraid to do that though, because it will be critical with Hamilton so far behind. It will hopefully make the race interesting.

DirtyMike

Post by DirtyMike »

Actually really excited for this race! Mostly due to Hamilton starting out of the ten, interesting to see what strategy calls Merc make or if he can pull off multiple overtakes during the race. If they pit him too early he'll get tangled up with the back of the field so they'll have to get it juusssttt right. (here's hoping they don't 😈 )

Hoping if Kimi gets off the line properly Ferrari will let him race freely and give him everything possible to win. Would love to see him triumph at Monaco in which could quite possibly be his last year, wouldn't say i've ever been a super fan but i like him and i'd enjoy the sentiment.

Interested in what Sainz can do if he can grab a spot at the start. The Torro Rosso's looked quick enough to easily hold position Infront of Redbull. Even holding 6th would be a great result! Have really rated him since he came into F1 and desperately want to see him in a top team and see what he can produce.

Getting a bit worried by the Verstappen vs Ricciardo complex. Verstappen seems to have his measure in the races and they look to be much more even in Qualifying this year. Ricci was compromised in his run but i'm starting to get this horrible VETTEL / WEBBER feeling in the pit of my stomach!

Looks like Grojean will be the cork in the bottle, don't know how he got his car in there. Haven't rated his attitude since he went to HAAS but would be good for him to get a result and award the team.

Renault really disappointing , Palmer continues to underwhelm .. On a track in which a driver can influence the car rather than vice versa i think it highlights his complete lack of confidence. Wasn't up for it last year and he's still not up for it.

Can we discuss where ALONSO might have qualified if he were there wrestling the car around the streets?! If Vandoorne was around 1s off i'd say he might've been able to reach 6th looking at the times!
1996 and Onwards
Ricciardo .:. Massa .:. LeClerc .:. Sainz

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

I thought JB might try the start on SS and pit after lap 1 gamble but I'd forgot he got though to Q3 on the US so would have to start on it but I've just read they're going to break parc ferme and have changed the set up on his car so he's starting from the pit lane.

Does this mean he can start on the SS or not?.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Lotus49 wrote:I thought JB might try the start on SS and pit after lap 1 gamble but I'd forgot he got though to Q3 on the US so would have to start on it but I've just read they're going to break parc ferme and have changed the set up on his car so he's starting from the pit lane.

I believe they can start on whatever they want now
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
mcdo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:It's a sound idea but I suspect he's starting too far forward for it to pay off. There's a real risk of being bottled up behind a Sauber for half the race while the rest of the field scamper away.

if there is a safety car early none of the front runners will pit imo cos of low deg its not worth it unless your gonna do the rest on the supers which arent as quick. if there is one mid race it will be interesting.

although there is low deg there will be a point where the undercut will work surely. dont know what lap but that could be how they swap kimi and vettel around if they feel they have to do it today. if kimi pits for supers and vettel does purples on his purples. i just hope its a fair fight, which with ferrari is anything but guaranteed. they will probably screw them both over and hand the win to bot/ver/ric
Yeah a mid race SC could have a bigger impact on the leaders. It would be some job for those that didn't pit to then go and open out a pitstop gap over those that have pitted - many of which will be on fresh ultras
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

mcdo wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:I thought JB might try the start on SS and pit after lap 1 gamble but I'd forgot he got though to Q3 on the US so would have to start on it but I've just read they're going to break parc ferme and have changed the set up on his car so he's starting from the pit lane.

I believe they can start on whatever they want now
Sweet, hope they try it. :thumbup:
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

moby

Post by moby »

Underviewer wrote:
It would make total sense from a championship perspective to let Vettel by. However, there will be a huge backlash if there is a hint that strategies were manipulated or Kimi is told to let Vettel by. I don't think Ferrari will be afraid to do that though, because it will be critical with Hamilton so far behind. It will hopefully make the race interesting.
You are assuming both cars will be there at the end then? :twisted:

SDLRob

Post by SDLRob »

Man... I've missed Jenson...
[Space for rent]