2017 Monaco Grand Prix Practice & Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Blackhander

Re: 2017 Monaco Grand Prix Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by Blackhander »

pokerman wrote:
Blackhander wrote:Are there any grid penalties yet this weekend of should we have a nice clean race? As exciting as it would be I feel the last thing Monaco needs with these new cars is people out of position.
Blackhander compiling all the information he needs for his belated Pick 10 prediction. ;)
:] you got me! :twisted:

Got to reclaim some of those 18 points.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

F1_Ernie wrote:The US is capable of lasting all race so looks like a one stopper. Please rain :-((
Its not just going to be 1 stopper, its going to be 1 stop which comes as late as possible by the cars and nobody will want to be in the traffic around here. So watch everyone stretch the first set as long as possible.
So unless someone bins it in the race throwing all calculations out of window or we get rain, its going to be processional race. Should be exciting qualifying though.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

funkymonkey wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:The US is capable of lasting all race so looks like a one stopper. Please rain :-((
Its not just going to be 1 stopper, its going to be 1 stop which comes as late as possible by the cars and nobody will want to be in the traffic around here. So watch everyone stretch the first set as long as possible.
So unless someone bins it in the race throwing all calculations out of window or we get rain, its going to be processional race. Should be exciting qualifying though.
Nobody is going to pit until a safety car is thrown. I imagine if no safety car by lap 65-70 then people will start pitting. It will be different. Which is good IMO.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Nobody is going to pit until a safety car is thrown. I imagine if no safety car by lap 65-70 then people will start pitting. It will be different. Which is good IMO.
Let's face it Monaco is all about the qualifying, the race itself is a procession.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Let's face it Monaco is all about the qualifying, the race itself is a procession.
And keeping out of the barriers. A lot of drivers on the grid won't have experienced a fast paced race at Monaco.

A lot can go wrong. Pole sitters don't actually have a great record. Monaco gets maligned but most races are pretty good. Certainly a track record as good as mot for producing interesting grand prix.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

funkymonkey wrote:
So it will be a 1 stopper lol. I know all that I just couldnt be bothered to make everyone even more depressed about the race.

The US being able to last all race and there's only a difference of 0.7 between the US and SS isn't great in my eyes. Tbh you can't overtake at Monaco anyway so it doesn't really matter.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

lamo

Post by lamo »

It could be a good tactical show, everybody might not pit under the SC. Imagine the Mercedes are running 5th/6th. A SC is thrown on lap 30, Ferrari and Red Bull pit and Mercedes are now 1st/2nd. Bottas holds up everybody at a rate of 3-4 seconds per lap, Hamilton pits and retains the lead and wins the race.

During the qualifying with race fuel era I was desperate for a midfield team to qualify its cars 1-2 on the grid by running super light and tactically win the race by sacrificing 1 car. The cars are 1-2 at the start and then have the second car hold up the pack at a rate of 3-4 seconds per lap. Free first pit stop for the leader. But it never happened. Renault were happy to do crashgate but wouldn't do that.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Was the race a procession in dry years such as 2011, 2013 or 2015? Don't get me started on wet years
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

lamo wrote:During the qualifying with race fuel era I was desperate for a midfield team to qualify its cars 1-2 on the grid by running super light and tactically win the race by sacrificing 1 car. The cars are 1-2 at the start and then have the second car hold up the pack at a rate of 3-4 seconds per lap. Free first pit stop for the leader. But it never happened. Renault were happy to do crashgate but wouldn't do that.
I have also always wondered why no team ever tried it, since it seems so obvious. The only reason I could think of was being accused of bringing the sport into disrepute by the FiA. Otherwise it seems like a slamdunk strategy.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

What was so good about 2013 and 15? Just a couple of mistakes to decide positions. 11 was good in a way but no one ever thought there was going to be an overtake at the front. Last year again took a mistake in the pits to decide the winner.

It's qualifying which is good.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

F1_Ernie wrote:What was so good about 2013 and 15? Just a couple of mistakes to decide positions. 11 was good in a way but no one ever thought there was going to be an overtake at the front. Last year again took a mistake in the pits to decide the winner.

How many times in the last 3 years in all GPs was there an overtake at the front? You're holding Monaco up to a standard that doesn't exist

2013 was a crashfest and in 2015 the leader fumbled the race win over to his title rival. The very opposite of "procession"
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

mcdo wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:What was so good about 2013 and 15? Just a couple of mistakes to decide positions. 11 was good in a way but no one ever thought there was going to be an overtake at the front. Last year again took a mistake in the pits to decide the winner.

How many times in the last 3 years in all GPs was there an overtake at the front? You're holding Monaco up to a standard that doesn't exist

2013 was a crashfest and in 2015 the leader fumbled the race win over to his title rival. The very opposite of "procession"
I'm not really interested in fights at the middle or back of the grid. 2015 would of been a procession if it wasnt for Mercedes and Hamilton making a ridiculous error. 2013 was a procession apart from another mistake in the pits to drop Hamilton places.

I'm just not a Monaco fan, in fact I really don't like it at all. I understand why it has to be included but I think there should only be one street circuit each season. I would take out Australia, Baku, Sochi and Singapore for a start but that's just my point of view.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

F1_Ernie wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I'm not really interested in fights at the middle or back of the grid. 2015 would of been a procession if it wasnt for Mercedes and Hamilton making a ridiculous error. 2013 was a procession apart from another mistake in the pits to drop Hamilton places.

I'm just not a Monaco fan, in fact I really don't like it at all. I understand why it has to be included but I think there should only be one street circuit each season. I would take out Australia, Baku, Sochi and Singapore for a start but that's just my point of view.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda - what happened happened, which doesn't fall under "procession". 2013 was packed full of incidents and accidents - what race did you watch?!

As someone who has taken a liking to watching NASCAR and IndyCar I think you'd get a lot of enjoyment from watching them. F1 doesn't have anywhere near as much passing at the front. And it hasn't in decades (I'd probably suggest it hasn't ever)

Street circuits add variety. I don't want 20 Monacos but I sure as hell don't want 20 Spas either. How boring and one dimensional. I know coming into this weekend that it's a different ball game for success. Monaco is just so different. And that's a good thing
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

mcdo wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda - what happened happened, which doesn't fall under "procession". 2013 was packed full of incidents and accidents - what race did you watch?!

As someone who has taken a liking to watching NASCAR and IndyCar I think you'd get a lot of enjoyment from watching them. F1 doesn't have anywhere near as much passing at the front. And it hasn't in decades (I'd probably suggest it hasn't ever)

Street circuits add variety. I don't want 20 Monacos but I sure as hell don't want 20 Spas either. How boring and one dimensional. I know coming into this weekend that it's a different ball game for success. Monaco is just so different. And that's a good thing
I really enjoy Moto GP and I've been watching Formula E. I don't think the Mrs will put up with much more sport :lol:

Funny thing is as much as I moan about Monaco and other grand prixs I have been a fan for over 20 years and still don't miss a race. This season i did have big reservations at first but it has grown on me and there is nothing better than a title fight between two teams. I just think if Pirelli can make the gap between compounds bigger like in Spain it would help the racing more.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

lamo

Post by lamo »

F1_Ernie wrote:
mcdo wrote:

2013 wasn't even a mistake, they had to stack the cars for the pits when the SC came out. Just the way it worked out. What is wrong with street circuits? Russia, Australia and Canada are also more like normal tracks than street circuits too - all set in parks. Never realised how many street circuits we have, 6, nearly 1/3 of the total.

Monaco qualifying is one of the highlights of the year for me and the cars look so quick visually this year. Plenty of F1 races past and present have been processions on normal race tracks, like basically all of 2004-2008.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

lamo wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
mcdo wrote:

2013 wasn't even a mistake, they had to stack the cars for the pits when the SC came out. Just the way it worked out. What is wrong with street circuits? Russia, Australia and Canada are also more like normal tracks than street circuits too - all set in parks. Never realised how many street circuits we have, 6, nearly 1/3 of the total.

Monaco qualifying is one of the highlights of the year for me and the cars look so quick visually this year. Plenty of F1 races past and present have been processions on normal race tracks, like basically all of 2004-2008.
I think Australia is an awful circuit, its a street circuit in my mind. I also think Russia is really aswell. Canada is one of my favourites of the year. Maybe having a bigger difference between tyre compounds and extending the DRS can bring better races to some circuits like it did at Spain which is normally one of the worst races of the year.

Come on Chelsea ;)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

I am loving watching this years car on the circuit, through the swimming pool, up through Casino, in fact all around the circuit. Mesmeric.
All the drivers are heroes.
For me, the only thing missing is the sound.
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

lamo

Post by lamo »

Monaco qualifying and the FA Cup final within a few hours and then Monaco race and Alonso featured Indy 500 :nod:

Ernie, we will be supporting different teams :lol: I had tickets for the final but sold them because partly I didn't want to miss the F1 but more so the ridiculous amount people will pay for an FA cup final ticket, nearly pays for half of my season ticket next year from one ticket and I get to see qualifying. Enjoy the game :thumbup:

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

People dis Monaco but I think it's a must have on the calendar.

Yes the cars have outgrown it, yes it's bloody well near impossible to pass, yes it can be processional and no it wouldn't get a start if it wasn't already on the calendar but it presents a challenge to the driver and the teams they won't find anywhere else.

It requires more strategic thinking, places greater emphasis on car set up to maximise qualifying performance, asks of the driver a level of concentration and focus they don't need to apply anywhere else and punishes driver errors like a sadistic school headmaster.

Yes it's full of phoney people who don't know or really care about the race and who's main concern is being seen with equally phoney people who don't know or care about the race but it's a race like no other and part of this sport should be about exposing the teams, that car and the drivers to a variety of challenges otherwise we just might as well have 20 races in Barcelona.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1_Ernie wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Surely all GPs are dull except for the things that happened? Basically what you have written there is - The race wasn't very good accept for the bits that were good.

Warheart01

Post by Warheart01 »

@ Jezza13, I completely agree!

Herb

Post by Herb »

I have in the past criticised the monaco track, believing it to be the worst track of the season.

I don't know what it is this year, maybe it's the new cars, but I loved watching even practice. I can't wait for qualifying!

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

F1_Ernie wrote:
mcdo wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I really enjoy Moto GP and I've been watching Formula E. I don't think the Mrs will put up with much more sport :lol:

Funny thing is as much as I moan about Monaco and other grand prixs I have been a fan for over 20 years and still don't miss a race. This season i did have big reservations at first but it has grown on me and there is nothing better than a title fight between two teams. I just think if Pirelli can make the gap between compounds bigger like in Spain it would help the racing more.
Haha I have the same issue. The US racing usually doesn't come on until Sunday evening. And when it does... "Hang on, there's more?!"

I was the same coming into 2017. I never expected the season we've been given so far. To say I've been delighted with it is an understatement
Last edited by mcdo on Sat May 27, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

lamo wrote:Monaco qualifying and the FA Cup final within a few hours and then Monaco race and Alonso featured Indy 500 :nod:

Ernie, we will be supporting different teams :lol: I had tickets for the final but sold them because partly I didn't want to miss the F1 but more so the ridiculous amount people will pay for an FA cup final ticket, nearly pays for half of my season ticket next year from one ticket and I get to see qualifying. Enjoy the game :thumbup:
At first I thought you were mental but when you put it like that 8O
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

Poor button, has a 15 place grid penalty for replacing some PU parts.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

rivf1 wrote:Poor button, has a 15 place grid penalty for replacing some PU parts.
I nearly put him in my 10th spot too, dodged a bullet there
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

My guesstimate for top 6 in quali:
Vet
Ham
Kimi
Ver
Bot
Ric

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Ferrari looking absolutely mega around here.

Looks like a Vettel pole which will be kind of annoying as the onboard will be from that stupid shoulder cam :evil: just give us the proper T-cam!

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

Ocon crashed

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Ferrari looking absolutely mega around here.

Looks like a Vettel pole which will be kind of annoying as the onboard will be from that stupid shoulder cam :evil: just give us the proper T-cam!
I actually prefer the shoulder cam for pole lap since it's closer to the drivers eye line. When it comes to replays of an incident between two cars the T-cam is better because you don't lose the more symmetrical view.
{Insert clever sig line here}

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

It looks like the Mercedes bus is struggling around the tight confines of Monaco?
Last edited by pokerman on Sat May 27, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

My version of a procession is a track were you can't overtake on, exciting pit stop mistakes doesn't quite cut it for me.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

RaggedMan wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:Ferrari looking absolutely mega around here.

I actually prefer the shoulder cam for pole lap since it's closer to the drivers eye line. When it comes to replays of an incident between two cars the T-cam is better because you don't lose the more symmetrical view.
I hate not being able to see anything on the right hand side of the car though, especially here where I want to see how close the pole sitter gets to the barrier on the exit of swimming pool etc.

I don't mind it as an additional view, though I'd much prefer visor cams like IndyCar for driver's eye-line view, but for the official pole lap onboard posted to YouTube and analysed in the post-qualifying coverage I think it should be the T-cam.

Give me this over shoulder cam any day.

https://youtu.be/rdllACwB-Tk

BlackMan

Post by BlackMan »

It looks like for Mercedes this should be damage limitation weekend and for Hamilton splitting the Ferrari's is crucial.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

It really doesn't look like Mercedes has a shot at even the front row, even the second row might be hard to get as the Redbulls are going to be a factor.
This could be a weekend to forget for Merc and one to maximize for Ferrari.
Vettel seemed to be in another league here.
Mclaren looking better here than they did last year, but it's only practice.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

pokerman wrote:My version of a procession is a track were you can't overtake on, exciting pit stop mistakes doesn't quite cut it for me.
Here's the world champion getting overtaken last year

ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Andy2402

Post by Andy2402 »

Comfortable vettel win on the cards here ferrari are well clear and vettel clear of raikonnen. He only hope is a bull getting ahead at the start

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

rivf1 wrote:Poor button, has a 15 place grid penalty for replacing some PU parts.
That's one thing Liberty should be looking at IMO - doing away with these ridiculous penalties

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Andy2402 wrote:Comfortable vettel win on the cards here ferrari are well clear and vettel clear of raikonnen. He only hope is a bull getting ahead at the start
I don't know. Bottas was only a tenth behind Kimi, so I shouldn't write Mercedes off just yet. If Kimi does his usual qualifying snafu then a front row at least is on the cards. I don't think Vettel is unassailable, although he is looking pretty impressive

lamo

Post by lamo »

If Button can't serve all of his grid penalty, will that be passed onto Alonso next race?