It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Drivers' Worst Circuits?
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:26 am 

So, as I was watching Indy qualifying, seeing Sato and Alonso reminded me of their battle in F1 ten years ago.

It still seems unfathomable how, in the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix, Sato in a Super Aguri actually overtook and beat Alonso on merit, who was driving the race winning car.
I believe Hamilton's growing speed, first pole, and defeating Alonso into desperation in the first corner was affecting Fernando a lot that day, and it was probably his most sub-par performance in F1. His head wasn't in the right place. If he had stayed ahead of Sato, gained a position more, he'd have still won the 2007 championship.

He also made one of his only errors in 2005, by crashing into the wall, again at Canada.

In 2010, he was on for the win, after uncharacteristically making bad exits and being overtaken first by Hamilton, then Button. The lost points lost him the championship.

In 2012, Ferrari and him made a strategic error. Vettel made the same error too, and Hamilton won, but Vettel lost less points. Again, these points could've pushed him to the championship (Schumacher gave Vettel 2 free points in Brazil, which he wouldn't have, I think, if it made a direct change in the championship. His career would've ended with the 'Cheat' label again.)

It seems the combination of Hamilton winning in Canada gives Fernando a bit of red mist. If only he had handled this once circuit better, hypothetically, he could've been a 5 times world champion.

Of course, as his fan, I pay more attention to him, but I'd love to hear more anecdotes about other drivers and their bogey circuits. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:38 am 

Barrichello was at his unluckiest in Brazil.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:51 am 
Hamilton >

Brazil - he did finally win there last year but it is a track where his team mates have beaten him or got a lot closer than usual at over his career.

Suzuka - same as above. Jenson also won that race in 2011 in the dry whilst Hamilton wasn't even on the podium. One of the few times Jenson won a dry race for Mclaren.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 am 

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
So, as I was watching Indy qualifying, seeing Sato and Alonso reminded me of their battle in F1 ten years ago.

It still seems unfathomable how, in the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix, Sato in a Super Aguri actually overtook and beat Alonso on merit, who was driving the race winning car.
I believe Hamilton's growing speed, first pole, and defeating Alonso into desperation in the first corner was affecting Fernando a lot that day, and it was probably his most sub-par performance in F1. His head wasn't in the right place. If he had stayed ahead of Sato, gained a position more, he'd have still won the 2007 championship.

He also made one of his only errors in 2005, by crashing into the wall, again at Canada.

In 2010, he was on for the win, after uncharacteristically making bad exits and being overtaken first by Hamilton, then Button. The lost points lost him the championship.

In 2012, Ferrari and him made a strategic error. Vettel made the same error too, and Hamilton won, but Vettel lost less points. Again, these points could've pushed him to the championship (Schumacher gave Vettel 2 free points in Brazil, which he wouldn't have, I think, if it made a direct change in the championship. His career would've ended with the 'Cheat' label again.)

It seems the combination of Hamilton winning in Canada gives Fernando a bit of red mist. If only he had handled this once circuit better, hypothetically, he could've been a 5 times world champion.

Of course, as his fan, I pay more attention to him, but I'd love to hear more anecdotes about other drivers and their bogey circuits. :)

As much as I loved that overtake, I do remember Alonso having a somewhat damaged car, kept coming off the track. I don't believe that Sato would have passed him on merit otherwise. But what a pass that was!

M. Schumacher never did well in Turkey, but then again he only raced there twice in his first stint in his prime.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:12 pm 

He crashed out while on for a podium in 2008 too. Even though he has won there it does seem like a bogey track overall

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:19 pm 
Bit of a myth or at least circumstantial the Schumacher Turkey one...

He was so much quicker than Massa in qualifying for the 2006 race that he qualified with +7 laps worth of fuel (literally 1 second time penalty) and still would have got pole if not for an error in turn 1. It was one of the biggest gaps between Massa and Schumacher all season that race. Ferrari needed Massa to start getting P2's to help win Michael the title and tried to manipulate the race so Massa could beat Alonso, Schumacher had the pace to win the race easily. The plan was completely undone by an ill-timed SC that meant Ferrari had to stack there cars at the pit stop and Alonso jumped Schumacher, relegating him to 3rd on a track with no overtaking.

2005, Michaels didn't compete in qualifying and started last. Not sure why. Did he break down?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:32 pm 

Spa has been a bit of a bogey track for Alonso too. Never won there anyway.

Schumacher was never that good (by his standards) in German speaking countries, ironically.

At Hockenheim he won in 1995 but only after Hill span off with a driveshaft failure. He won again in 02, 04 and 06 but that coincided largely with the Ferrari being utterly dominant in those races. In 96, 97, 98 and 05 he was well off the pace, in 00 and 01 he crashed before the first corner. 03 he was about a minute off the lead, when he got a puncture trying an impossible strategy.

Won Austria just twice, once when Rubens moved over for him at the last corner.

Can't remember his record at Nurburg, other than losing a shootout with Hakkinen in 98.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:41 pm 

lamo wrote:

He was so much quicker than Massa in qualifying for the 2006 race that he qualified with +7 laps worth of fuel (literally 1 second time penalty) and still would have got pole if not for an error in turn 1. It was one of the biggest gaps between Massa and Schumacher all season that race. Ferrari needed Massa to start getting P2's to help win Michael the title and tried to manipulate the race so Massa could beat Alonso, Schumacher had the pace to win the race easily. The plan was completely undone by an ill-timed SC that meant Ferrari had to stack there cars at the pit stop and Alonso jumped Schumacher, relegating him to 3rd on a track with no overtaking.

2005, Michaels didn't compete in qualifying and started last. Not sure why. Did he break down?

Most likely, I just remember one podium from him, a distant third.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:57 pm 

In terms of results, USA's Indy street circuit is Alonso's worst track, worse than Canada.
In Canada he won in 2006 and should have won in 2005 too but he made a tiny mistake (kissed a wall) and that made him retire, plus the magnificent performance in 2003 with an inferior car, 4seconds off the race winner...
On the other hand, zero wins for him in Indy, 3 retirements, one DNS and one 5th place in 2005, that year when he almost always was on the podium.
Brazil's Interlagos is another track that has never been one of his favorites, he never won there.
In Spa he never won in F1 either, but he did a fantastic job in F3000, absolutely dominating the race. That performance was the one that made Flavio sign him.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 pm 

Don't forget Melbourne for Perez - prior to this year, he had literally never beaten a teammate there - and I think never out-qualified a teammate there either. There were several races where Hulk was well inside the points and Perez ran a clean race but missed the top ten entirely.

On the subject, what does Max need to achieve this weekend for Monaco to not be classified this way for him?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 am 

Exediron wrote:
On the subject, what does Max need to achieve this weekend for Monaco to not be classified this way for him?

He needs to keep it just a tad little bit tighter and he could shine there actually. His performances the past two years ended in tears but both times he was simply mega before exiting.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:57 am 

Schumacher gave Vettel 2 free points in Brazil

I don't really think this one is fair, to be honest. Vettel was surging past everyone in those conditions, and it's unlikely Schumacher would have been able to keep Vettel behind for more than a few corners even if he had really tried.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 am 

mds wrote:
Exediron wrote:

He needs to keep it just a tad little bit tighter and he could shine there actually. His performances the past two years ended in tears but both times he was simply mega before exiting.

Yeah, he was quick, but quite frankly it's easy to be quick when you're driving over your limit. I agree with you that 2015 was actually quite good and the crash wasn't really his fault, but last year was just bad. It doesn't matter how quick you are when you crash in every session.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:15 am 

Exediron wrote:
mds wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Yeah, he was quick, but quite frankly it's easy to be quick when you're driving over your limit. I agree with you that 2015 was actually quite good and the crash wasn't really his fault, but last year was just bad. It doesn't matter how quick you are when you crash in every session.

You have a good point of course. But I think the past year he's been evolving from overdriving at times to just being quick and dependable at the same time. If he gets that right, I see no reason for him not to ace Monaco.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 am 

None of the drivers, except Sebastian Vettel, didn't do well on Buddh Circuit for Indian GP. Some barely managed to the podium, and that's all.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:27 am 

mds wrote:
You have a good point of course. But I think the past year he's been evolving from overdriving at times to just being quick and dependable at the same time. If he gets that right, I see no reason for him not to ace Monaco.

I think you're right, and I expect him to do a lot better this year. We also have to remember the huge emotional load he was under this time last year, having suddenly been promoted to Red Bull and then winning his debut race. I think he came into the weekend too hot, and it showed. I don't expect that this time; it's been a while since we've seen that out of Max, so hopefully he's got it out of his system.

... which might have something to do with his increased maturity? 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:17 am 

Oh quiet you :-P

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:25 am 

Banana Man wrote:

Schumacher was never that good (by his standards) in German speaking countries, ironically.

At Hockenheim he won in 1995 but only after Hill span off with a driveshaft failure. He won again in 02, 04 and 06 but that coincided largely with the Ferrari being utterly dominant in those races. In 96, 97, 98 and 05 he was well off the pace, in 00 and 01 he crashed before the first corner. 03 he was about a minute off the lead, when he got a puncture trying an impossible strategy.

Can't remember his record at Nurburg, other than losing a shootout with Hakkinen in 98.
I don't know the year by heart, but I remember him beached on the high kerb stones. He was pushed back onto the track and scored points. But I would hesitate to say he had a real "worst" track. Definitely not the Nürburgring, anyway.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:31 pm 
More coincidental than anything, but Schumacher only won 1 of his last 10 Monaco GPs, still 1 in 7 from the last 7 Ferrari seasons. He still had the same gap to his team mates there it just didn't suit the Ferrari package as well as other tracks. His worst strike rate at any track over his dominant Ferrari period.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 pm 

lamo wrote:
More coincidental than anything, but Schumacher only won 1 of his last 10 Monaco GPs, still 1 in 7 from the last 7 Ferrari seasons. He still had the same gap to his team mates there it just didn't suit the Ferrari package as well as other tracks. His worst strike rate at any track over his dominant Ferrari period.

True, in his last 7 Ferrari seasons he won once, but he finished second and third, hardly bad results.

He also was leading the 2000 race when his exhaust broke and the 2004 race when he had the incident with Montoya, while the 2005 season I'd put down to the cr@p tyres. As for 2006, he had an otherwise great pace, without his quali brainfart he could have contested the win.

So I can't put it as his worst circuit by any means. Maybe a tad unlucky

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:04 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
lamo wrote:

Most likely, I just remember one podium from him, a distant third.

2005, he was not in it due to some problem with the car in qualifying.

In 2006, he was easily the fastest, and would've won if not for an ill-timed SC. He wasn't a distant third, either. He hounded Alonso all the way till the last corner.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:06 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
In terms of results, USA's Indy street circuit is Alonso's worst track, worse than Canada.
In Canada he won in 2006 and should have won in 2005 too but he made a tiny mistake (kissed a wall) and that made him retire, plus the magnificent performance in 2003 with an inferior car, 4seconds off the race winner...
On the other hand, zero wins for him in Indy, 3 retirements, one DNS and one 5th place in 2005, that year when he almost always was on the podium.
Brazil's Interlagos is another track that has never been one of his favorites, he never won there.
In Spa he never won in F1 either, but he did a fantastic job in F3000, absolutely dominating the race. That performance was the one that made Flavio sign him.

In 2007, he was fastest in the race, and hounded Hamilton all the way till then end. Came second. Don't you remember him gesturing at the pit wall, asking the team to let him through?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm 

Also, I just remembered, Raikkonen and the German tracks. I remember a lot of bad luck, insane coincidences and bad reliability affecting him there.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:12 pm 

And for Hamilton- probably India. Isn't he lucky it didn't stay on for long :lol:

Vettel - I struggle to think of one particular one. Maybe Spain? Webber usually beat him there, and he admits he's never got the last sector right, which is amazing for a track they drive the most at, and a driver of his calibre, whose strength always has been slow corners.

Even in the video games, I've always hated the last chicane. Never, ever could I find a smooth, satisfying line through it.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 pm 

In 2007, he was fastest in the race, and hounded Hamilton all the way till then end. Came second. Don't you remember him gesturing at the pit wall, asking the team to let him through?

True, but still its arguably his worst track overall.

As for Vettel, it probably should be Austria (Red Bull Ring) - best result is 4th, retired in the other two.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:03 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
As for Vettel, it probably should be Austria (Red Bull Ring) - best result is 4th, retired in the other two.

He was very strong in 2015 and 2016. Would've been third in 2015 without a delayed pit stop and had a tyre blowout while in front last year. 2014 not the best qualifying (albeit "only" .170 slower dan Dan) and then problems starting from lap 1.

Maybe his most unlucky track but not his worst?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 pm 

mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

He was very strong in 2015 and 2016. Would've been third in 2015 without a delayed pit stop and had a tyre blowout while in front last year. 2014 not the best qualifying (albeit "only" .170 slower dan Dan) and then problems starting from lap 1.

Maybe his most unlucky track but not his worst?

Yeah maybe, Along with Mexico

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:04 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

I don't know the year by heart, but I remember him beached on the high kerb stones. He was pushed back onto the track and scored points. But I would hesitate to say he had a real "worst" track. Definitely not the Nürburgring, anyway.

Was that when he collided with Montoya at the hairpin? Probably not among his worst circuits, although his brother nearly took his head off in '97.

Silverstone was another less successful circuit for him, even if he won there 3 times.

98 he was nearly a minute behind Mika when the safety car came out. All things considered DC would probably have won if they put wet tires on.
02 he was behind Montoya but in changeable conditions Bridgestone were far superior to Michelin.
04 well, he won everything that year, so meh. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:44 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mds wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Yes, the race may have been good, But I don't see how the crash wasn't his fault in the slightest. Lotus had evidence that Grosjean braked 5 metres later than he did the lap before. ANd Verstappen had managed to avoid contact over the past 3 or more laps. Ss even when Grosjean braked late, he Verstappen carried far too much speed and braked much too late. I can't see how this isn't him fully to blame.

His pace does look good when in the races on a lot of laps but the fact that he crashed in practice, qualifying and the race all by himself somehow makes it look like he hasn't got the hang of this circuit. He needs to work out where the limits are. Since he was clearly worse this weekend last year than in 2015, I have a feeling this could be a track that he may always struggle at.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:17 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
His pace does look good when in the races on a lot of laps but the fact that he crashed in practice, qualifying and the race all by himself somehow makes it look like he hasn't got the hang of this circuit.

He got the hang just fine in 2015 - as Exediron indicates there might have been more to the disastrous 2016 weekend, possibly the pressure of coming off the back of a race win and wanting to confirm that.

But we don't need to debate it now, he has plenty of Monaco races to go in order to show us whether he can master it or not. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 pm 
As a Hamilton fan, the race I attended were his worst up until last year -

Britain 2007, qualified on pole, finished 3rd. His joint worst result up until that point and about the only race he hadn't challenged to win up until then too.

Spain 2009, qualified 14th and finished 9th and out the points 1 lap down

Spa 2011, qualified 2nd on the grid, DNF after colliding with Kobayashi whilst over taking him

Germany 2012, qualified 8th after shower right at the start of q3 (looked good for pole before that), got a puncture and damage on debris on lap 2 and went a lap down. Later retired the car

Hungary 2014, qualified 20th due to engine blowing up in qualifying. After 3 none points scores an 1 podium beforehand, finally here the luck changed on race day, stormed through the field and finished 3rd ahead of Rosberg crucially for the WDC battle. An engine issue costs him the win.

Britain 2016, pole, lights to flag win.

Anybody else had a bad run when attending races with their favourite driver?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 am 

lamo wrote:
As a Hamilton fan, the race I attended were his worst up until last year -

Britain 2007, qualified on pole, finished 3rd. His joint worst result up until that point and about the only race he hadn't challenged to win up until then too.

Spain 2009, qualified 14th and finished 9th and out the points 1 lap down

Spa 2011, qualified 2nd on the grid, DNF after colliding with Kobayashi whilst over taking him

Germany 2012, qualified 8th after shower right at the start of q3 (looked good for pole before that), got a puncture and damage on debris on lap 2 and went a lap down. Later retired the car

Hungary 2014, qualified 20th due to engine blowing up in qualifying. After 3 none points scores an 1 podium beforehand, finally here the luck changed on race day, stormed through the field and finished 3rd ahead of Rosberg crucially for the WDC battle. An engine issue costs him the win.

Britain 2016, pole, lights to flag win.

Anybody else had a bad run when attending races with their favourite driver?

India 2011, Vettel gets his first Grand Chelem, Alonso on the podium.
The driver I don't like, Hamilton, collides with Massa. :D

India 2012, Vettel on pole, wins, leads every lap.Alonso second.
The driver I don't like, Hamilton, is off the podium. :D

India 2013, Vettel on pole and wins, wins championshi no.4, but Alonso has bad luck.
The driver I don't like, Hamilton, is far from the podium. :D

Overall, the three races I've attended have worked extremely well for the two drivers I support and very badly for the driver I don't like.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 pm 

I'm sure that Martin Brundle said (a couple of years back I think) that at that point, Vettel had never won a race in either June or July (can't remember which of the two it was).

That has since changed, but at the time it was a stat that surprised me.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:41 pm 

Could we add Verstappen in Monaco?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:11 pm 

Surprisingly enough Vettel has only ever won once in China... in the wet in 2009

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Surprisingly enough Vettel has only ever won once in China... in the wet in 2009

Only once in Hungary too. Think it's the only race he never won for Red Bull.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Was that when he collided with Montoya at the hairpin? Probably not among his worst circuits, although his brother nearly took his head off in '97.
I had to look it up, but you're right! I had completely forgotten what got him to beach his car, I only remembered that he was pushed back into the race. Very creative with outside assistance, those Germans. A few years later they even brought in a crane for an even sillier case of outside assistence.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:53 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Only once in Hungary too. Think it's the only race he never won for Red Bull.

I should have known that, I was at it! That was a good day

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:55 pm 

Schumacher and Singapore!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:22 am 

I always got the impression Webber needed a circuit to be as old or older than him for him to be any good at.

He seemed to excel, starts excluded obviously, at places like, Silverstone, Monaco, Spa, Rio, Hungary, Nurburgring etc while he struggled at the newer circuits like Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, China, Melbourne (yeah he finished 5th in his first race there but that was about it), Malasyia etc.
Rockie wrote:
Schumacher and Singapore!

Nelson Piquet Jr and Singapore perhaps?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)