2017 Chinese Grand Prix Practice & Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

2017 Chinese Grand Prix Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

This weekend should shed better light on the pecking order. Nonetheless, am expecting a good weekend of action.

Source - http://www.sportskeeda.com

NUMBER OF LAPS: 56

CIRCUIT LENGTH: 5.451 KM

RACE DISTANCE: 305.066 KM

LAP RECORD: 1:32.238
BY MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (2004)

Tyres:
Red-marked supersoft tyre
Yellow-marked soft tyre
White-marked medium tyre

Press Conference:
Part 1 will have drivers:
Nico Hulkenberg (Renault), Max Verstappen (Red Bull), Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

Part 2 will have drivers:
Antonio Giovinazzi (Sauber), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)
Feel The Fourth

Lotus49

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by Lotus49 »

I like this track,good mix and the races are usually not bad. Weather looks poor, might help Red Bull if they get on top of their issues on the chassis side from Melbourne but will probably still be Ferrari vs Mercedes.

McLaren are bringing an ugly T-Wing and are said to be fearing running out of ers 2/3rd's of the way down the straight. This weekend is going to sting I fear.

Looking forward to seeing Gio get a full race weekend too so hopefully both drivers can run clean and freely without issues so we can see how they measure up.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

2fast

Post by 2fast »

Weather prediction in Shanghai this weekend:

Sat, Apr 8: Partly sunny and pleasant

Sun, Apr 9: Rain and drizzle

(I got it from accuweather.com, hope it's gonna be accurate)
too fast to slow down

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

I'm hoping Kimi can get into the mix with a front row start, he seems to enjoy the circuit. Bottas hasn't had many good results here so possibly there's a good opportunity for both Ferraris to take the fight to Hamilton again and make his life difficult.

The midfield teams must be praying for rain.
#KeepFightingMichael

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

It's raining now apparently. But then it always rains just BEFORE a Grand Prix...

Now, as I remember, if the race starts under the SC we get a grid when it's dried up - yes? What about mid race SC's, I know there was talk of a grid, but I think it was changed back again.... anyone remember?
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

ALESI wrote:It's raining now apparently. But then it always rains just BEFORE a Grand Prix...

Now, as I remember, if the race starts under the SC we get a grid when it's dried up - yes? What about mid race SC's, I know there was talk of a grid, but I think it was changed back again.... anyone remember?
Yep, definitely a standing start mid-race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127269
#KeepFightingMichael

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

MistaVega23 wrote:
ALESI wrote:It's raining now apparently. But then it always rains just BEFORE a Grand Prix...

Yep, definitely a standing start mid-race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127269
I'll believe it when I see it though... like all these things.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

As per Fox sports Asia, it will rain during practice sessions on Friday & before the race on Sunday:

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/motorsport ... p-weekend/
Feel The Fourth

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Fun fact: Hamilton was last time leader in championship standings 201 days ago. Will it change this weekend?
The end is near

cm97

Post by cm97 »

Ferrari are genuinely competitive for the first time since I got properly addicted to F1 and yet I nearly forgot there is a Grand Prix this weekend...what is wrong with me!
Hope it's a good one, enjoy everyone.
#Keep Fighting Michael

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:Fun fact: Hamilton was last time leader in championship standings 201 days ago. Will it change this weekend?
If Hamilton wins and Vettel comes second who would lead the championship?

They would both have 1 win, 1 second place and 43 points. Would it come down to qualifying/fastest lap or just alphabetical order?

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:Fun fact: Hamilton was last time leader in championship standings 201 days ago. Will it change this weekend?

They would both have 1 win, 1 second place and 43 points. Would it come down to qualifying/fastest lap or just alphabetical order?
I could be wrong but like qualifying it's normally who got it first, so in this instance i believe Vertel would retain the lead

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I could be wrong but like qualifying it's normally who got it first, so in this instance i believe Vertel would retain the lead
I think the same.

Mercedes should have upper hand on this track due to the long nature of that back straight. But if Ferrari can pull away in the twisty sector it may get tricky. The battle is down to Ferrari's balance and Mercedes power.
The end is near

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

Shanghai is a serious power track, with an incredibly long back straight and a good two places where passing very possible. I'm hoping that Hamilton doesnt feel as hapless as he did last race.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Herb Tarlik wrote:Shanghai is a serious power track, with an incredibly long back straight and a good two places where passing very possible. I'm hoping that Hamilton doesnt feel as hapless as he did last race.
I don't think Hamilton will have to do much in the way of overtaking, tbh. He'll be leading from the front and the Merc power means they'll have a bigger advantage than they did in Australia. Don't see Vettel being able to mount a significant challenge here

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Let's hope for a bad start for the Mercs then. Or rain.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:Shanghai is a serious power track, with an incredibly long back straight and a good two places where passing very possible. I'm hoping that Hamilton doesnt feel as hapless as he did last race.
I don't think Hamilton will have to do much in the way of overtaking, tbh. He'll be leading from the front and the Merc power means they'll have a bigger advantage than they did in Australia. Don't see Vettel being able to mount a significant challenge here
I like Your presumption!

But if Ferrari has better handling, then Vettel should have edge in the 1st 2 sectors & Hamilton would in the 3rd sector. Ferrari aren't that behind when it comes to engine power. But yeah, this race will give us a more definite answer regarding the pecking order & to be more specific, the difference between Mercedes & Ferrari (teams)!

If it rains, You could also bring the Red Bull duo in the frame for a podium.
Feel The Fourth

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Before Melbourne, Vettel last led the standings 1219 days ago. I think he'll want to keep this one going!
#KeepFightingMichael

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

MistaVega23 wrote:
Before Melbourne, Vettel last led the standings 1219 days ago. I think he'll want to keep this one going!
I second that!
Feel The Fourth

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Zoue wrote:
I think there's a solid argument to be made that Ferrari have caught Mercedes in power terms after what we saw in Melbourne. Maybe a bit early yet but they ran a larger rear wing but still matched Mercedes speed through the traps so there is some serious grunt there.

They're now getting 50s of ERS support as well which must be getting close to Mercedes (I've no idea what they are getting, could even be less for all I know) and Seb was told very early that fuel was no longer a problem which is encouraging.

I'd still like to see a few more races before being confident either way and it will be interesting to see their relative performance here on that straight to see if Mercedes still hold an advantage in terms of top end performance. That really showed up more in Baku though so will be interesting when we get there too.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:
I like Your presumption!

But if Ferrari has better handling, then Vettel should have edge in the 1st 2 sectors & Hamilton would in the 3rd sector. Ferrari aren't that behind when it comes to engine power. But yeah, this race will give us a more definite answer regarding the pecking order & to be more specific, the difference between Mercedes & Ferrari (teams)!

If it rains, You could also bring the Red Bull duo in the frame for a podium.
It's certainly possible that Ferrari were running more downforce in Australia than Mercedes. This race is a good data point and I think it will probably take a couple of more races to really get a sense for how the two cars stack up to each other.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Lotus49 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
I think there's a solid argument to be made that Ferrari have caught Mercedes in power terms after what we saw in Melbourne. Maybe a bit early yet but they ran a larger rear wing but still matched Mercedes speed through the traps so there is some serious grunt there.

They're now getting 50s of ERS support as well which must be getting close to Mercedes (I've no idea what they are getting, could even be less for all I know) and Seb was told very early that fuel was no longer a problem which is encouraging.

I'd still like to see a few more races before being confident either way and it will be interesting to see their relative performance here on that straight to see if Mercedes still hold an advantage in terms of top end performance. That really showed up more in Baku though so will be interesting when we get there too.
The ferrari engine has improved a lot. No doubt. Even the Haas car has looked faster than any of the mercedes customer teams in qualifying.

I also think the ferrari is the better car overall so i expect that to be clearer in China.

Bentrovato

Post by Bentrovato »

It's done wonders for the sport that Ferrari won the first race. If Mercedes won in Australia, good bye to a large portion of viewers.

I would not be surprised at all if Mercedes kept a bit of performance in the bag but were also a bit caught out by how difficult it is to pass cars this year. I look for them to turn it up and go 1-2 in China barring any mechanical failures.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

kleefton wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

The ferrari engine has improved a lot. No doubt. Even the Haas car has looked faster than any of the mercedes customer teams in qualifying.

I also think the ferrari is the better car overall so i expect that to be clearer in China.
Yeah Guenther Steiner has been praising the PU quite a bit since testing. They've really had a great winter in that department and the car seems to be working beautifully as well. The whole package looks spot on.

Melbourne can be a strange place so I'm still a bit cautious over calling it the best yet over Mercedes but it's certainly hard to argue against if someone does.

Caserole of Nonsense

Post by Caserole of Nonsense »

good test to see how good the ferrari engine is. My guess is its the new engine that has enabled them to catch up mercedes. More power and economy and you can run more downforce. which is one of the main reasons merc have been so good. obviously they have a good car in general but it is a massive advantage when you can run the amount of downforce they have in the past 3 seasons and not lose out down the straights.

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

I think if Ferrari won in Aus, they should be faster here, although that long straight.
This track requires more mechanical grip than Aus, and Ferrari has plenty of that.

I don't know if you guys really want rain, Mercedes is ace in the rain. Merc's main asset is the handling, the balance.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

The track is wet. Not raining though.

Wet tyres to be used initially.
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Is this the new, diplomatic excuse for not running in wet conditions? Helicopter was managing fine in much wetter conditions last year.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Also, is it somewhat undermined when we have the heli camera flying about and can see at least two other helicopters in the distance?

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

mikeyg123 wrote:Also, is it somewhat undermined when we have the heli camera flying about and can see at least two other helicopters in the distance?
It looks like more of a fog issue than a storm issue, the medical helicopter has to be able to travel to the hospital whereas the camera helicopters can stay within a closed airspace.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mikeyg123 wrote:Also, is it somewhat undermined when we have the heli camera flying about and can see at least two other helicopters in the distance?
I'm worried about the weekend, weather wise and also by running wise if both practice sessions get scrapped.

Such a nuisance the weather excuse can be for the average F1 fan.
Feel The Fourth

LBET

Post by LBET »

Bloody Shame. Don't they have IFR capabilities on the medical helos over there? What happens if it rains during the race or, God forbid, during an emergency medical transport? Doe's one land on a roadway and wait for an ambulance.

Edit: I forgot, it's 2017 so we're talking about dual engine Helos with IFR with GPS support. If the camera copter can fly the medi-copter should be good no?

TheBlackFlag

Post by TheBlackFlag »

LBET wrote:Bloody Shame. Don't they have IFR capabilities on the medical helos over there? What happens if it rains during the race or, God forbid, during an emergency medical transport? Doe's one land on a roadway and wait for an ambulance.

Edit: I forgot, it's 2017 so we're talking about dual engine Helos with IFR with GPS support. If the camera copter can fly the medi-copter should be good no?

Apparently the flight conditions at the hospital end of the journey are the problem.

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

Nice touch by Mercedes and Hamilton

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

Practice 2 cancelled

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Did Mercedes and Hamilton cancel practice 2?

Caserole of Nonsense

Post by Caserole of Nonsense »

Formula 1 meets the industrial revolution (and a bit of drizzle)

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... chinese-gp
Formula 1 teams will meet with the FIA today to discuss bringing the Chinese Grand Prix forward to Saturday to avoid the risk of it being cancelled because of bad weather.

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

Covalent wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... chinese-gp
Formula 1 teams will meet with the FIA today to discuss bringing the Chinese Grand Prix forward to Saturday to avoid the risk of it being cancelled because of bad weather.
This seems sensible seeing as they cannot really delay the race until Monday because that won't leave enough time for the freight to get to Bahrain.

JamWalsh

Post by JamWalsh »

What did Mercedes and Lewis do?