Who can win races this year?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
flyboy10

Who can win races this year?

Post by flyboy10 »

If you had to put money on any number of drivers winning at least one race this year, who would you bet on and where would the cut off be to the last driver you'd have confidence that he could win one and who would you completely write off as having no chance of winning this year?

lamo

Re: Who can win races this year?

Post by lamo »

Both Ferrari's and both Mercedes for me. Even if Bottas and Kimi aren't on the ultimate pace of the other two they will likely get a win when their team mate messes up and their car is the better that weekend. Kimi being the weakest link in that, but I am sure the other 3 will win races. I don't see any other car winning a race this year.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Mercedes drivers
Ferrari drivers

I don't see anybody else, frankly.
The end is near

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

You both writing Red Bull off?

lamo

Post by lamo »

flyboy10 wrote:You both writing Red Bull off?
I could be wrong, they made a great comeback last year after initial poor form.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

In terms of who would have the opportunity, barring (mis)fortune, obviously the Ferrari and Mercedes drivers. But if it turns out that Australia wasn't a one-off and Ferrari and Mercedes are indeed neck and neck, then the WDC fight might decide things.

By that I mean if it looks like the WDC fight might be close, then both teams might decide very early on to back one horse and the other driver will have to play a supporting role. So, unless Kimi or Bottas get a win early in the season, they might find they are not allowed to later on.

Oh, and I think Red Bull might sneak a win or two in somewhere down the line. Difficult to see anyone else doing it, though

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Mercedes and Ferrari drivers are a given. Hamilton and Vettel just showed that those 2 cars can win races.

Red Bull have the drivers to be able to take advantage of a crazy race and bring it home to win. A driver such as Alonso in the Williams would too IMO, but I doubt Massa/Stroll would be able to put it in the position to take advantage.

Anyone further back would have to rely on 8 cars having a race out of the ordinary, so I can't see it happening.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Mercedes and ferrari drivers obviously. It would be nice for kimi to get at least one more, as i think this will be his last season. When redbull gets their engine upgrade in canada they will surely join the party too. That car is not that far behind the top 2.

DanF

Post by DanF »

Massa. (Stop laughing!)

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

DanF wrote:Massa. (Stop laughing!)
I would love to see him win a couple of races, Monaco especially!

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Writing off Red Bull is foolish, particularly given the design philosophy they've embraced this season.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

DanF wrote:Massa. (Stop laughing!)
He could barely get on the podium in a Ferrari whilst Alonso was battling for titles.

I would say Hamilton and Vettel takes the lions share and Bottas and Ric get 1 each. Can see Kimi beating Seb occasionally but he would have to be very fortunate for one of those occasions to coincide with Ferrari being faster than Mercedes.

Basically I see this as being a lot like '98 and the battle between MS, Mika, DC and Eddie generally 4th best.

Ric to get a sneaky win in Singa.
I remember when this website was all fields.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

After the 1st race I see 3 drivers - Vettel, Hamilton Bottas

Kimi just isnt on pace and the redbulls aren't either (at least yet)

Blake

Post by Blake »

The only one that we know beyond a doubt.... Sebastien Vettel.
:)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

moby

Post by moby »

I bet I am the only one here to say McHonda :blush:

But I believe it. Not too sure of Alonso will be driving though

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

moby wrote:I bet I am the only one here to say McHonda :blush:

A true Suzuka Special PU later in the year made to only last one race*?. :nod:

We were supposed to get a SS last year but they shelved the introduction of their lean burn solution. Just as well though considering McLaren's own performance chassis wise there I guess.

*(No jokes about that's the only ones they make anyway please).
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

moby

Post by moby »

Lotus49 wrote:

We were supposed to get a SS last year but they shelved the introduction of their lean burn solution. Just as well though considering McLaren's own performance chassis wise there I guess.

TBH, the more I read about the Honda engine the more I believe it is a single problem they have. Once they solve that, I think the engine is good and the energy part is supposed to be as good as any, but we have not seen it due to engine deficit.

If/when they sort their ignition out, the car will leap to the back of the top 3, then momentum will be in their favour.

(ref your brackets, no thats the lemans unit :D )

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

moby wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

TBH, the more I read about the Honda engine the more I believe it is a single problem they have. Once they solve that, I think the engine is good and the energy part is supposed to be as good as any, but we have not seen it due to engine deficit.

If/when they sort their ignition out, the car will leap to the back of the top 3, then momentum will be in their favour.

I admire your optimism and hope you're right. :thumbup:
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

moby

Post by moby »

Lotus49 wrote:
moby wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

I admire your optimism and hope you're right. :thumbup:
I should add, I will not be putting any money on it :D

mds

Post by mds »

moby wrote: TBH, the more I read about the Honda engine the more I believe it is a single problem they have. Once they solve that, I think the engine is good and the energy part is supposed to be as good as any, but we have not seen it due to engine deficit.

I feel like this pretty much goes against all statements of all involved parties. Going by what's available I believe they don't even understand what is happening themselves, let alone they know that it's just one problem.

AFAIK they'll be going at least 5-6 races before they hope to introduce a new spec that they hope will solve things, but the power won't be on par just yet.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

mds

Post by mds »

Blake wrote:The only one that we know beyond a doubt.... Sebastien Vettel.
:)
There's no Sebastien Vettel driving in F1 ;)

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

We'll have to keep an eye on Kimi and Bottas. I think they'll both get at least one but Kimi certainly did look a spent force on Sunday. He has weekends like that where he's nowhere sometimes so hopefully it's just that and not a sign of things to come.

So I think both Ferrari and both Mercedes drivers will win races this season. Aside from that, I predict that Max will take at least one win this season and I'm tempted to say Dan too. Other than that, I don't really see it for anyone else. Maybe a fluke win or two by a midfield team is possible but I somehow doubt it. I think the Merc and Ferrari drivers will take at least 17-18 out of the 20 races this year and possibly all 20 (like McLaren and Ferrari back in the day).

paul85

Post by paul85 »

Both Mercedes drivers and both Ferrari drivers, if the 2 cars remain pretty equal throughout the season. The RBR drivers might win one or two, if Red Bull can catch up (which one will win, will depend on the circumstances). Other than that, none. The last car that wasn't lapped in AUS was Massa's Williams (and he was about to be lapped, which means he was ~ 1.4 seconds/lap slower than the leader), while the others were a lap down, so I don't think anyone else will win a race. In order for someone else to win, the first 6 cars should get in some sort of trouble (which is possible, of course, but very unlikely). Honda might solve their problems, but even then, I don't see them being any better than 4th (team, after Mercedes, Ferrari & RBR).

moby

Post by moby »

mds wrote:
moby wrote: TBH, the more I read about the Honda engine the more I believe it is a single problem they have. Once they solve that, I think the engine is good and the energy part is supposed to be as good as any, but we have not seen it due to engine deficit.

I feel like this pretty much goes against all statements of all involved parties. Going by what's available I believe they don't even understand what is happening themselves, let alone they know that it's just one problem.

AFAIK they'll be going at least 5-6 races before they hope to introduce a new spec that they hope will solve things, but the power won't be on par just yet.

They know whats happing, its vibration. They are not sure of the cause though. One section think it is crank related and anothe think it is due to the TJI. They are running the engine down on Revs to compensate and dropping power before the gear shift, which is what is costing them.

Hasegawa is confident the engine is on par with the others ( same as he was last year :twisted: ) but it needs sorting

As you say though, I am not holding my breath. But I do have confidence in Honda

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

If Hamilton and Vettel are as close as they were in Australia for the majority of the season then I feel we'll get at least one race where they have a coming together, leaving whichever Finn is closest to pick up the pieces and win a race. I also wonder if we might get weekends where either the Mercedes or the Ferrari is clearly the better car, giving both Bottas and Raikkonen the opportunity to win a race should their stronger teammate have an off weekend/run into some kind of mechanical issue.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:If Hamilton and Vettel are as close as they were in Australia for the majority of the season then I feel we'll get at least one race where they have a coming together, leaving whichever Finn is closest to pick up the pieces and win a race. I also wonder if we might get weekends where either the Mercedes or the Ferrari is clearly the better car, giving both Bottas and Raikkonen the opportunity to win a race should their stronger teammate have an off weekend/run into some kind of mechanical issue.
I still think if not for the tyre issue the Mercedes is the faster car. Vettel said he struggled to match Lewis' pace in the beginning, but then Lewis compromised his tyres so he had to slow a bit. It remains to be seen whether other circuits will cause as much wear for Mercedes and, if not, we may see normal service resume with Mercedes at the top.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the only reason Lewis lost was because he was held up by Verstappen, not because Lewis was slow (on the contrary, he was quicker than Vettel immediately after the pit stop). If Merc can get a handle on their (or, rather, to judge from this race, Lewis') tyre degradation, then they'll still be the team to beat.

Having said that, they still look less composed than the Ferraris when following another car, so on a circuit where overtaking is more possible this could hand Ferrari some advantage. But for pace, I think it's still advantage Mercedes

Herb Tarlik

Post by Herb Tarlik »

mds wrote:

This. Absolutely this.

Honda showed up at the final practice with an engine that could not last more than 11 laps. Repeat, 11 laps! That shows that they have no idea at all what the problem is with their engine. Whatever defect exists passed through all their R & D and testing. It should be impossible that they turn up at a full scale team test with an engine that can't last more than 11 laps.

moby

Post by moby »

Herb Tarlik wrote:
mds wrote:

This. Absolutely this.

Honda showed up at the final practice with an engine that could not last more than 11 laps. Repeat, 11 laps! That shows that they have no idea at all what the problem is with their engine. Whatever defect exists passed through all their R & D and testing. It should be impossible that they turn up at a full scale team test with an engine that can't last more than 11 laps.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... led-winter

But knowing what the cause is, and fixing it are poles apart

" Hasegawa appears confident the speed will come, the time-frame is not clear " from GP just about sums it up

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

moby wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
mds wrote:

This. Absolutely this.

" Hasegawa appears confident the speed will come, the time-frame is not clear " from GP just about sums it up
But according to that article they don't know what the problem is, they only know the effect.

There's a big difference between knowing that vibrations are what's causing the electrical failures, and knowing what is causing the vibrations. Until the source of the vibrations can be identified and solved they're going nowhere.

It took until this year for them to get on par with Chevy in IndyCar and those regs came into play in 2012.
{Insert clever sig line here}

moby

Post by moby »

RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
mds wrote:

This. Absolutely this.

But according to that article they don't know what the problem is, they only know the effect.

There's a big difference between knowing that vibrations are what's causing the electrical failures, and knowing what is causing the vibrations. Until the source of the vibrations can be identified and solved they're going nowhere.

It took until this year for them to get on par with Chevy in IndyCar and those regs came into play in 2012.
That is more or less what I am saying (badly)
IF they fix the cause, they fix all the problems (they know of :D ) in one go.

They will then not have to run at reduced power,or cut power for gear changes, which in its self probably costs half a second a lap in places.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

moby wrote:
Raggedman wrote:But according to that article they don't know what the problem is, they only know the effect.

That is more or less what I am saying (badly)
IF they fix the cause, they fix all the problems (they know of :D ) in one go.
The "that they know of" bit is important. Who knows what gremlins still lurk inside that lump that would've broken in another 10 laps if the electronics hadn't suffered shaken baby syndrome so soon.
{Insert clever sig line here}

TypingChicane

Post by TypingChicane »

If someone held a pistol to my head to predict the race wins now, I would take this guess:
Hamilton 8 / Vettel 7 / Bottas 3 / Raikkonen 1 / Ricciardo or Verstappen 1.

But I do hope Red Bull will get close enough over the course of the season to get something like this:
Hamilton 7 / Vettel 6 / Bottas 2 / Ricciardo 2 / Verstappen 2 / Raikkonen 1.
PF1 forum games
Pick 10 2016: 2nd [3 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win].
F1 Oracle 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [6 wins].
Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 1st [5 wins] + Cup.
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 1st [6 wins].

mas

Post by mas »

Seven drivers. All the Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull drivers and Massa if all the others have off days. The 2017 Williams suits him and it is not much slower than the front runners. Red Bull has engine upgrades to come and they are good at improving the car during the season. Kimi has his optimum tracks and Bottas is quick enough to capitalise if other front runners are off key.

mds

Post by mds »

mas wrote:Seven drivers. All the Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull drivers and Massa if all the others have off days. The 2017 Williams suits him and it is not much slower than the front runners.
Sorry mas but the FW40 is MUCH slower than the front-runners. 2 seconds in qualifying and 1.5 seconds pretty consistently in the race. Massa was almost lapped.

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

nixxxon wrote:After the 1st race I see 3 drivers - Vettel, Hamilton Bottas

I don't think Kimi is as bad as his pace in last race suggests, clearly he had some setup issues.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Ocon wrote:

I don't think Kimi is as bad as his pace in last race suggests, clearly he had some setup issues.
Sure, or maybe its yet another car that doesnt suit him :nod:

Ocon

Post by Ocon »

nixxxon wrote:
Ocon wrote:

This Kimi imo is nowhere near prime Kimi but I do believe he has more difficulties than other top drivers in finding the right car/setup. It has clearly been a massive disadvantage for him in his career.

mas

Post by mas »

nixxxon wrote:
Ocon wrote:

The car he's fine​ with, pirelli's ultrasoft not so much this time. He was fine on the softs. The ultrasoft also caught Hamilton out in the race as it appears to have a narrow performance window.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mas wrote:The car he's fine​ with, pirelli's ultrasoft not so much this time. He was fine on the softs. The ultrasoft also caught Hamilton out in the race as it appears to have a narrow performance window.
Either that, or not being able to pull away from the Ferrari caught Hamilton out in the race, and he started getting flustered and blamed the tyres. His lap times weren't falling off like you'd expect for someone with dead tyres.

As far as the thread, right now I'd say the Ferrari and Merc drivers. In the future RBR may join that group, but they're certainly not there yet. Williams or Force India may be quick enough to win a really crazy mixed-up race, but not if any of the top six are still running in a reasonable position.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

Well - Vettel obviously. Hamilton I'd be very surprised if he didn't win races. Bottas is probably going to get a win. I figure he has a great car and over 20ish races he's likely to get the upper hand at least once. Kimi is not a guy I'd write off so I'd include him.

I think Red Bull have a shot. I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't come together but I could see it happening. I like both their drivers so could be either. I'd prefer Danny Ric but I don't think his chance is much higher than Max.

Anyone else winning I think it going to require some real shenanigans of some kind. Big pile up, Ferrari and Mercedes screw up qualy with all 4 of their guys, failures etc. Only other team I could see beating them on pace is RBR.

I'd like to see Massa win in Brazil for purely sentimental reasons but that doesn't seem all that likely. Then again he'll probably get another shot in 2018!