The Official Michael Schumacher thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
rej1972

Re: The Official Michael Schumacher thread

Post by rej1972 »

rej1972 wrote:I do believe there is a final chapter at Ferrari for Michael. He's still popular within the team and he still has speed. There are so many assumptions that Alonso would constantly beat him. Maybe if you were to look at it from a betting angle you could say Alonso would be favourite, but it's not a dead certainty. And as for the number two label, that all depends on the results...

I want to hear that he's coming back.

I've worn out my F5 key whilst waiting for news...

ferrarirocks

Post by ferrarirocks »

WelshWayne1978 wrote:I'll start by saying I am not a Schumi fan and never have been but I'm disgusted by the treatment shown by Brawn towards his old friend

I know there is no place for sentiment in sport/business but if his dithering on whether to continue contributed to the signing of Hamilton they should still have given MS the chance to retire with dignity

I wonder if the announcement of LH as MS replacement and not just filling a vacant seat is more to do with massaging LH's ego.. As in he took a 7 times WDC seat away from him more than just there was a seat to fill

I think Schumi might have been surprised in how quick Lewis's management changed their mind from 'just enquiring' to 'yes, we will sign the deal rightaway'. He might also have been taken aback with how much interest Ross Brawn might have been showing in signing up Lewis. Both factors might have contributed heavily to his indecision. He might have felt, if Mercedes want to go after another driver, then let them do it.. and I guess one thing led to another and things ended up where they did..

I'm sure if Ross was as enthusiastic as he was in when he signed Michael up in 2009, Michael would have definitely signed it (if not in August, atleast in October as he promised!). But alas.

I want him to now sign up for a different team (preferably Ferrari, Sauber also will do) and show Ross Brawn what a dog of a car he (and his team) have been producing for the past 3 years. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Michael beat Merc, Hamilton and show everybody with a couple of victories (or even a WDC :)) that he has lost none of his midas touch.
Ferrari rockz, Schumster rulez

rej1972

Post by rej1972 »

ferrarirocks wrote:
WelshWayne1978 wrote:I'll start by saying I am not a Schumi fan and never have been but I'm disgusted by the treatment shown by Brawn towards his old friend

I know there is no place for sentiment in sport/business but if his dithering on whether to continue contributed to the signing of Hamilton they should still have given MS the chance to retire with dignity

I wonder if the announcement of LH as MS replacement and not just filling a vacant seat is more to do with massaging LH's ego.. As in he took a 7 times WDC seat away from him more than just there was a seat to fill

I think Schumi might have been surprised in how quick Lewis's management changed their mind from 'just enquiring' to 'yes, we will sign the deal rightaway'. He might also have been taken aback with how much interest Ross Brawn might have been showing in signing up Lewis. Both factors might have contributed heavily to his indecision. He might have felt, if Mercedes want to go after another driver, then let them do it.. and I guess one thing led to another and things ended up where they did..

I'm sure if Ross was as enthusiastic as he was in when he signed Michael up in 2009, Michael would have definitely signed it (if not in August, atleast in October as he promised!). But alas.

I want him to now sign up for a different team (preferably Ferrari, Sauber also will do) and show Ross Brawn what a dog of a car he (and his team) have been producing for the past 3 years. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Michael beat Merc, Hamilton and show everybody with a couple of victories (or even a WDC :)) that he has lost none of his midas touch.

:thumbup: (But Sauber would not do for me)

PT03

Post by PT03 »

rej1972 wrote:
ferrarirocks wrote:

i know what you mean, but at least in a Sauber he wouldn't have the acute Mercedes tyre issue that they've had forever.

wagshu

Post by wagshu »

PT03 wrote:
rej1972 wrote:
ferrarirocks wrote:

i know what you mean, but at least in a Sauber he wouldn't have the acute Mercedes tyre issue that they've had forever.

Also Alonso has said that if Michael were driving the Sauber this year he would of had 3 wins by now....

Retro-Virus

Post by Retro-Virus »

phyz wrote:All said and done, if Schumacher is retiring, he deserved to announce that first.

Announcing Hamilton's contract first is a humiliating way to do it. It is now obvious that Schumacher is being forced to leave. Kimi forced him to leave the last time but Ferrari handled it much better.

Where's your respect, Mercedes?

Not at all. At Ferrari in 2006, Schumacher was still the best driver in F1. The reason for his exit was a power struggle between LDM and MS/Todt, and that fiasco was far worse. In 2012, he has failed to beat his team mate, and has been average over three seasons, with may be one stand out drive (Canada last year).

Mercedes have not done anything wrong. They have hired a younger Schumacher in Hamilton.

What can MS do now ? He could drive for Sauber, or if KR goes back to Macca, then he could take his seat at Lotus.

Going back to Ferrari ? Somehow, I don't see that happening. Alonso/LDM are both way too shrewd to ever let that happen.
Clark, Senna, Hamilton

XploZiV

Post by XploZiV »

Retro-Virus wrote:
phyz wrote:All said and done, if Schumacher is retiring, he deserved to announce that first.

Announcing Hamilton's contract first is a humiliating way to do it. It is now obvious that Schumacher is being forced to leave. Kimi forced him to leave the last time but Ferrari handled it much better.

Where's your respect, Mercedes?

Not at all. At Ferrari in 2006, Schumacher was still the best driver in F1. The reason for his exit was a power struggle between LDM and MS/Todt, and that fiasco was far worse. In 2012, he has failed to beat his team mate, and has been average over three seasons, with may be one stand out drive (Canada last year).

Mercedes have not done anything wrong. They have hired a younger Schumacher in Hamilton.

What can MS do now ? He could drive for Sauber, or if KR goes back to Macca, then he could take his seat at Lotus.

Going back to Ferrari ? Somehow, I don't see that happening. Alonso/LDM are both way too shrewd to ever let that happen.

Have you actually seen how many races he retired because his care broke down when he was miles in front of Nico?? Technically he didn't beat Nico, but why? As far as I know only 2 incidents were because of his own doing, all the others were retirements because his car broke down...
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

I take heart with David crofts words from Canada. Without the dnfs in the first 6 gps. Schumi could of been of been leading the championship going into canada.

Schumacher still is.as competative than 95% of the grid and i have to feel that given any car that doesnt chew Its tyres up. Has zero downforce. And spent too much Time on a ddrs system that is useless and is not needed as it spends much of the race going back. Look at him in roc. Consistent and always up there. And that's equal machinery.

So the alternatives

A move to Ferrari. (unlikely due to 06 and the massa friendship and not want a repeat)
sauber. (a return to where he.made a name of himself in sportscars.) Will be intresting and could help koby out to.be more.consistent and mentor him.
Lotus I don't think will happen as I don't think anyone is going anywhere.
Force India maybe a good drive as they do produce a nice car. If Ferrari take di resta or hulk. Di resta more than hulk for the Ferrari move (unlikely though) and mentor hulk.
Williams. If they produce a good car. Michael could fight for wins. Maldonado is consistently in the top 10 in quali. Maybe Michael goes again to tame maldo and focus him. Give bottas another year in reserve and again Michaels experience to learn from. And get him some race time in gp2. (he hasn't raced this year as farbas I know.)

d_dingbat

Post by d_dingbat »

Retro-Virus wrote:Not at all. At Ferrari in 2006, Schumacher was still the best driver in F1. The reason for his exit was a power struggle between LDM and MS/Todt, and that fiasco was far worse. In 2012, he has failed to beat his team mate, and has been average over three seasons, with may be one stand out drive (Canada last year).

You couldn't be more wrong.

Lewis is no young Schumi, not even close to him. The young Schumi apart from skills had the ability to build a team around him no matter where he went. Had a strong desire and ability to win and inspired everyone in his team and worked closely with the team to get the results that he and the team wanted.

When he went to Ferrari he took upon himself the challenge to make Ferrari a front running team again. Lewis joined Mercedes because of the way he was being treated at McLaren (some would say) but then he brought it upon himself when he started lambasting the team publicly in 2009 and McLaren returned that favor this year. In short Lewis is doing can be described as - 'Jumping Ship'.

Sure Lewis is a skilled driver but so was Schumi and still is and Mercedes has done everything wrong. They built a horrible car that ate up tyres, was built with only Qualifying in mind (didn't set the world on fire in Qualifying), couldn't develop the car as the season progressed or fix the problems that were there.

The only reason Nico looks good is because of Schumi's DNFs most of which were not his fault.

In the last 3 years Schumi might not have won races but he has definitely won himself a few fans like me who used to hate him because he made the sport so boring at one point and a few dodgy incidents.

virus

Post by virus »

Mercedes had to keep MS onboard and dump useless Rosberg. He is slower than 43 year old MS.

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

If he did end up at Ferrari, that would surely go down in history as the finest driver pairing the sport has ever seen.

It's frustrating following him this season, seeing so clearly how much he has outperformed Rosberg, but having it not show in the stats because of retirements, and not show to the casual viewer because the Mercedes is so poor that it's rarely on screen.

He's nowhere near the driver he once was, and I can't see him beating Alonso in equal machinery over a season, but he'd run him closer than just about anyone else on the grid and certainly win a couple of races.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Ok, so I'll chip in my thoughts now that we have a clearer view.

Today I read this:

"Responding to a barrage of criticism in the German press, Norbert Haug says Mercedes decided to oust Michael Schumacher after the seven time world champion’s “long period of reflection” while the manufacturer’s big boss admitted that expectations were perhaps too high".

http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/10/03/merce ... aF1.com%29

This comes from a team that went publicly to apologise for letting down one of the drivers. How much has the situation changed these few last months? This year, the best year of his comeback, Schumacher is being let down constantly by the team/car (add a couple of brain farts there if we want to be objective). Yet, the team apologises and vows to work better. Roll on a couple of months and they kick him out of the team saying that they were aiming too high in the first place.

Well p*ss off Mercedes. Seriously. I give them one thing and one thing only; when a driver of Hamilton's calibre becomes not only available, but is actually knocking on your door, you'd be foolish to turn him down. Hell, I'd fire myself to hire him if I was a driver; Hamilton is as fast as they come, and with some proper management from Niki he'll maybe sort out his few issues as a driver to become a truly great and unstoppable force in F1.

But the way they managed Schumacher - and more importantly the way they are coming out now painting him as a failure - is horrible. I am sorry, but they knew the risks. There was no guarantee that Michael would perform as good as he did in 2006, no guarantee that they would have a good car and on the flip side, they rode that cash-making name all nice and well as it suited them. Plus the fact that he has now arguably the upper hand of Nico (racing-wise). Getting Hamilton on board is a no-brainer, but treating Schumacher this way is a bit upsetting.

I am annoyed with that brain fart in Singapore; without the penalty, I'd love it if he would produce a winning performance in Suzuka, a track he loves and performs good usually, just to gherkin them off...

Rant over and have a nice day!

Schuttelberg

Post by Schuttelberg »

I'm a little surprised McLaren didn't consider Schumacher for the drive. It would have made a very interesting team. I also think, Schumacher has all the qualities to be a McLaren driver including the temperamental side of things which clearly Alonso and Hamilton lacked.

I just don't see him or any other world champion going to Ferrari with Alonso there.

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

ferrarirocks

Post by ferrarirocks »

SchumieRules wrote:Ok, so I'll chip in my thoughts now that we have a clearer view.

Today I read this:

"Responding to a barrage of criticism in the German press, Norbert Haug says Mercedes decided to oust Michael Schumacher after the seven time world champion’s “long period of reflection” while the manufacturer’s big boss admitted that expectations were perhaps too high".

http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/10/03/merce ... aF1.com%29

This comes from a team that went publicly to apologise for letting down one of the drivers. How much has the situation changed these few last months? This year, the best year of his comeback, Schumacher is being let down constantly by the team/car (add a couple of brain farts there if we want to be objective). Yet, the team apologises and vows to work better. Roll on a couple of months and they kick him out of the team saying that they were aiming too high in the first place.

Well p*ss off Mercedes. Seriously. I give them one thing and one thing only; when a driver of Hamilton's calibre becomes not only available, but is actually knocking on your door, you'd be foolish to turn him down. Hell, I'd fire myself to hire him if I was a driver; Hamilton is as fast as they come, and with some proper management from Niki he'll maybe sort out his few issues as a driver to become a truly great and unstoppable force in F1.

But the way they managed Schumacher - and more importantly the way they are coming out now painting him as a failure - is horrible. I am sorry, but they knew the risks. There was no guarantee that Michael would perform as good as he did in 2006, no guarantee that they would have a good car and on the flip side, they rode that cash-making name all nice and well as it suited them. Plus the fact that he has now arguably the upper hand of Nico (racing-wise). Getting Hamilton on board is a no-brainer, but treating Schumacher this way is a bit upsetting.

I am annoyed with that brain fart in Singapore; without the penalty, I'd love it if he would produce a winning performance in Suzuka, a track he loves and performs good usually, just to gherkin them off...

Rant over and have a nice day!

I'd be having a laugh next year, when they produce yet another stupid dog of a car. And Hamilton loses his cool mid-season. Hammy unlike Schumacher is a drama queen. He can't develop a car for nuts. He wants to sit in it and drive fast. And if Schumacher, the master at developing a car couldn't do much to develop the dog, there is very little that Hamilton can do anything.
Ferrari rockz, Schumster rulez

hk77

Post by hk77 »

i fail to see how he can be labelled as a failure. in his 1st career he recorded wins in every season, except with with Jordan(obviously).

Its clear that the Mercedes team are the failure. they do produce good engines, but that is about it.
infact if MS was subject to any kind of negative critisism, its was purely because of the machinery Mercedes were providing for with.
Even R.Brawn lost his touch, with so many race strategies going bad, let alone the amount of technichal retirments MS had this season.

unless R.Brawn & Mercedes develop a proper competitive car for next season, we will probably see Hamilton career end.
:thumbdown:

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

hk77 wrote:i fail to see how he can be labelled as a failure. in his 1st career he recorded wins in every season, except with with Jordan(obviously).

Its clear that the Mercedes team are the failure. they do produce good engines, but that is about it.
infact if MS was subject to any kind of negative critisism, its was purely because of the machinery Mercedes were providing for with.
Even R.Brawn lost his touch, with so many race strategies going bad, let alone the amount of technichal retirments MS had this season.

unless R.Brawn & Mercedes develop a proper competitive car for next season, we will probably see Hamilton career end.
:thumbdown:

Ross is not a strategist anymore. This explained a lot about the strategies in Mercedes

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

ferrarirocks wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Rant!

I'd be having a laugh next year, when they produce yet another stupid dog of a car. And Hamilton loses his cool mid-season. Hammy unlike Schumacher is a drama queen. He can't develop a car for nuts. He wants to sit in it and drive fast. And if Schumacher, the master at developing a car couldn't do much to develop the dog, there is very little that Hamilton can do anything.

Nah, I don't them to fail, I wish them all the luck. I just find disappointing the shifting of the blame to one person, when clearly the car is not a championship challenger.

BrazilLastCorner2008

Post by BrazilLastCorner2008 »

rej1972 wrote:I do believe there is a final chapter at Ferrari for Michael. He's still popular within the team and he still has speed. There are so many assumptions that Alonso would constantly beat him. Maybe if you were to look at it from a betting angle you could say Alonso would be favourite, but it's not a dead certainty. And as for the number two label, that all depends on the results...

Exactly and because it's not a dead certainty Alonso would easily beat him, that is why MS to Ferrari won't happen :(

We all know Alonso can't handle a challenge from a team-mate. Michael would certainly give him that

Keep Fighting Michael

XploZiV

Post by XploZiV »

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:

Exactly and because it's not a dead certainty Alonso would easily beat him, that is why MS to Ferrari won't happen :(

We all know Alonso can't handle a challenge from a team-mate. Michael would certainly give him that

We might then also dismiss the rumour that Vettel is going to race there...
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

Schuttelberg

Post by Schuttelberg »

I think, Alonso is too settled into Ferrari for Schumacher to challenge. Look at what Msc has been doing the past three years to get a car to work for him. Alonso, would beat Michael at Ferrari. That whole team absolutely worships him. It's not possible for Michael @ 43 to go there and build a team around him. He wasted that time at Mercedes already.

I feel his best shot was to have two seasons with McLaren. They are regular race winners and have an excellent development program and allow their drivers to race. However, that's not going to happen and if someone asked me I think he'll retire. If he really has to race, I'd like to see him at Williams.

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

Bentrovato

Post by Bentrovato »

Kushal Msc-3 wrote:

I think, Alonso is too settled into Ferrari for Schumacher to challenge. Look at what Msc has been doing the past three years to get a car to work for him. Alonso, would beat Michael at Ferrari. That whole team absolutely worships him. It's not possible for Michael @ 43 to go there and build a team around him. He wasted that time at Mercedes already.

I feel his best shot was to have two seasons with McLaren. They are regular race winners and have an excellent development program and allow their drivers to race. However, that's not going to happen and if someone asked me I think he'll retire. If he really has to race, I'd like to see him at Williams.

Although seeing MSC going to a great team would be nice, he would not work at McLaren. He needs a reliable car, something he hasn't had during these 3 seasons at Merc and looking at Lewis throwing away the championship due to unreliability, what would be the point? At Ferrari he could post his 92nd career win, go 1-2 supporting Alonso and if for some crazy reason Alonso has terrible luck, at least they would have someone who could challenge for wins unlike Massa who seriously is not going to win a race this year or the rest of his career.

Kynes

Post by Kynes »

It seems it's official that he retires.

XploZiV

Post by XploZiV »

Kynes wrote:It seems it's official that he retires.

Yes it is official

http://www.michael-schumacher.de/sites/en/news/news.html
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

vikram

Post by vikram »

Sad to hear this, he was really unlucky in his second stint. Wish he had won some races. The fact that nico got only one victory (wet) shows that the car just wasn't quite there. But great effort for coming back and entertaining us fans.

XploZiV

Post by XploZiV »

It's a shame he had so many retirements this year. It would have perhaps motivated for a year extra. But it is what it is,
and we can only hope he can have some good races before the season ends.
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Farewell Michael.

Hope you'll have fun in the future.

Ad1210

Post by Ad1210 »

Sad as it is, I thinks the 2nd retirement is for the best.
I cant help but wonder whether exactly things would have been different had Merc no let him down with the car problems early this year.
Nobody can take away his achievements 1991-2006 and the grace which he has handled the last 3 years.
Heres hoping we can see something special in the remaining races of 2012.

PT03

Post by PT03 »

:( it had to come sometime, i just wish that he hadn't wasted the last 3 years at a team that couldn't produce a consistant top level car, and to be honest i think Mercedes got the best end of the deal (PR wise) without Schumacher and a lackluster car season after season Mercedes would be firmly in the mid pack teams.

Usman

Post by Usman »

What might be interesting IMO is the way schumi will drive now... He knows its his last few races....I hope he is exceptional in these races.... showing the stuff legends are made of...
KIMI: Yeah,Winning feels good.But I am not the type of guy to jump up and down and rub it in everyone's face.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

SchumieRules wrote:
ferrarirocks wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Rant!

Nah, I don't them to fail, I wish them all the luck. I just find disappointing the shifting of the blame to one person, when clearly the car is not a championship challenger.

And now the arse-licking...

http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorspor ... MP=OTC-RSS

Pffffft

Schumi4ever

Post by Schumi4ever »

Usman wrote:What might be interesting IMO is the way schumi will drive now... He knows its his last few races....I hope he is exceptional in these races.... showing the stuff legends are made of...

Would be a fairytale if he can still get a win out of this car. Maybe the Exhausts will finally start to work and deliver?

XploZiV

Post by XploZiV »

Schumi4ever wrote:
Usman wrote:What might be interesting IMO is the way schumi will drive now... He knows its his last few races....I hope he is exceptional in these races.... showing the stuff legends are made of...

Would be a fairytale if he can still get a win out of this car. Maybe the Exhausts will finally start to work and deliver?

A podium would also satisfy me
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

becker

Post by becker »

He will be back in 2014 :lol:

XploZiV

Post by XploZiV »

becker wrote:He will be back in 2014 :lol:

In the Formula E class driving for Ferrari in a V12 wheelchair?
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

XploZiV

Post by XploZiV »

Pirelli have said they are open to an offer to have Michael as a Pirelli testdriver for next year, if Alguersuari will leave.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103093
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

Anupam

Post by Anupam »

Outqualifies Rosberg, yet again.

Good move Mercedes. And good luck Lewis, moving to the team that's gone from P1-2 in China to P13-15 in Japan...

NickPriest

Post by NickPriest »

Had he not had so much poor luck this season with reliability I believe he would have signed a deal much quicker. All those retirements must have really knocked his morale.

SnakeSVT2003

Post by SnakeSVT2003 »

NickPriest wrote:Had he not had so much poor luck this season with reliability I believe he would have signed a deal much quicker. All those retirements must have really knocked his morale.

You're probably right, but then again, Ross Brawn said that they needed him to commit to more than just one season. Michael may not have been willing to commit to F1 that long, even if his reliability was great this year.
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti

randorr

Post by randorr »

just a quick one - when did Merc sign Rosbore?

Reason I ask is - If Merc were actively interested in pursuing Whinilton with Michael being fully informed as they say he was, By signing Rosbore, and then going after Hamilton, are you not telling Michael its him or you??

Its my personal opinion that the dynamics at Mercedes HQ has been changing dramatically (read Lauda - who was instrumental in getting Whinie to sign for Merc - pretty much the entire F1 community agrees). And that is what made Michael hesitant to sign.

Why else would a man who has been consistently out qualifying and outracing his team mate (when they finished the same race) suddenly feel that the "time to stop" has come?? Especially considering that in his 3 years back, this year has been the best he has driven and his form is getting better?
It simply just does not compute!

Schuttelberg

Post by Schuttelberg »

randorr wrote:just a quick one - when did Merc sign Rosbore?

Reason I ask is - If Merc were actively interested in pursuing Whinilton with Michael being fully informed as they say he was, By signing Rosbore, and then going after Hamilton, are you not telling Michael its him or you??

Its my personal opinion that the dynamics at Mercedes HQ has been changing dramatically (read Lauda - who was instrumental in getting Whinie to sign for Merc - pretty much the entire F1 community agrees). And that is what made Michael hesitant to sign.

Why else would a man who has been consistently out qualifying and outracing his team mate (when they finished the same race) suddenly feel that the "time to stop" has come?? Especially considering that in his 3 years back, this year has been the best he has driven and his form is getting better?
It simply just does not compute!

You would understand a lot more mate, if you gave the other drivers some respect.

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion