Massa signs €6 million deal to race for Williams in 2017

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Robot

Re: Massa offered €6 million to race for Williams in 2017

Post by Robot »

I rather hit myself with a hammer than watch Massa race again in F1.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Robot wrote:I rather hit myself with a hammer than watch Massa race again in F1.
That is one silly comment. If you really mean that then you've got a problem.

Invade

Post by Invade »

It could just be Timmy's mallet.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Robot wrote:I rather hit myself with a hammer than watch Massa race again in F1.
I have a nice 5lb hammer that I'd be quite delighted to bludgeon you with to spare you from having to watch one of the top drivers in the world do his thing.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Robot hitting himself with a hammer? This would not end well. ;)
The end is near

moby

Post by moby »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Robot hitting himself with a hammer? This would not end well. ;)
Sounds like a "do until" loop without a fall through :lol:

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

scotlandforever wrote:Massa is a waist of time, by mid-season we will hear rumors about another retirement party in Brazil?
Most likely seeing as it will be a one year deal and he just retired once, I don't see your problem, you make it sound like Massa was begging to come back. They are asking him, let's not forget.

Oh and it's waste. Not waist. That's what's between your belly and your pickle.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

As a viewer I would much rather see some new talent being brought through the ranks rather than an old driver being brought out of retirement. As for the team Williams would much more benefit from having an experienced driver developing their car, so it's more than likely what will happen
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Blackhander wrote:As a viewer I would much rather see some new talent being brought through the ranks rather than an old driver being brought out of retirement. As for the team Williams would much more benefit from having an experienced driver developing their car, so it's more than likely what will happen
Apart from Massa, do they have any other option when it comes to an experienced driver?

Massa's form really went downhill in 2016. Don't know if he felt he wasn't good enough or had a hunch much in advance he'll be replaced?

He's loved in the paddock & a title in 2008 would've not done him any harm.

Even if Massa returns, Williams lineup won't be that strong. Anyway what matters for Williams, is to get good technical feedback & get better if they would be languishing deep in the midfield.
Feel The Fourth

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Blackhander wrote:As a viewer I would much rather see some new talent being brought through the ranks rather than an old driver being brought out of retirement. As for the team Williams would much more benefit from having an experienced driver developing their car, so it's more than likely what will happen
Apart from Massa, do they have any other option when it comes to an experienced driver?

Massa's form really went downhill in 2016. Don't know if he felt he wasn't good enough or had a hunch much in advance he'll be replaced?

He's loved in the paddock & a title in 2008 would've not done him any harm.

Even if Massa returns, Williams lineup won't be that strong. Anyway what matters for Williams, is to get good technical feedback & get better if they would be languishing deep in the midfield.
Williams need a) good technical feedback, b) continuity in one of the cars, c) a name driver who will keep the sponsors on board until they can secure a better alternative. Sometimes you just have to work through a year to get where you want to be and that's what next year is going to be for Williams.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

red_baron

Post by red_baron »

With that level of stupidity, I imagine you'd miss.

I haven't found Massa particularly thrilling to watch lately, and I thought when he retired it was quite fitting. I'd love to see someone new and exciting in the Williams... and I will whatever happens with Stroll. But if Bottas goes and they need someone with experience, who provides reliable feedback and looks as if they might drink a Martini rather than follow-on milk, perhaps Massa's the right man for the job.
At Ferrari, there is always good cooperation.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win and when I don't, I get furious."

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

As if Williams hadn't been uninspiring enough lately. Now sponsors are deciding who goes in both of Frank's cars
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mcdo wrote:As if Williams hadn't been uninspiring enough lately. Now sponsors are deciding who goes in both of Frank's cars
That's the price a privateer team will have to pay very often!
Feel The Fourth

scotlandforever

Post by scotlandforever »

ALESI wrote:
scotlandforever wrote:Massa is a waist of time, by mid-season we will hear rumors about another retirement party in Brazil?
Most likely seeing as it will be a one year deal and he just retired once, I don't see your problem, you make it sound like Massa was begging to come back. They are asking him, let's not forget.

In fairness I support the Brits in F1, so I really couldn't careless about Massa, good luck if he accepts Williams offer a nice wee pension top up for racing with the Manor's and Sauber's next season.

Thanks for tips on spelling - Yawn

Blloydtbird

Post by Blloydtbird »

scotlandforever wrote:
ALESI wrote:

In fairness I support the Brits in F1, so I really couldn't careless about Massa, good luck if he accepts Williams offer a nice wee pension top up for racing with the Manor's and Sauber's next season.

Thanks for tips on spelling - Yawn
Grammar actually, as you spelled the word correctly, just chose the wrong one :).

Back on topic, while I'd like to see someone else at Williams, it seems the team would be more comfortable with a known factor going into 2017. Worse decisions have been made.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

So what happens if Massa decides not to come back? Williams keep Bottas and Pascal gets the Merc seat?

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

scotlandforever wrote:Thanks for tips on spelling - Yawn
Sorry, must be my wife's influence rubbing off on me. Just seemed an unusual one, unlike tire, dominate, etc...

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

ALESI wrote:
scotlandforever wrote:Thanks for tips on spelling - Yawn
Sorry, must be my wife's influence rubbing off on me. Just seemed an unusual one, unlike tire, dominate, etc...
Tire is correct if you're from North America. I get you on dominate, though - I can't count the number of times I've seen people say something about a 'less dominate car' for example - and that's even beside the fact that at least half the forumites use it as a substitute for 'competitive' anyway. Red Bull didn't have a less dominant car than Ferrari - neither had one at all!
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

say_hello_2_the_angels

Post by say_hello_2_the_angels »

I don't actually think this is a bad idea for 1 season. For a few reasons:

1. Massive rule change. An experienced driver who has been through several of these would be invaluable.

2. People say Massa hasn't been the same since his accident. But I think he's not been the same since the last major body work and tire overhaul changes. I think that these changes would actually suit massa - and that we might see car that suits the way he drives.

3. He'd be back with zero pressure. Knowing it's one year, in a new formula, just there to enjoy it. And when he enjoys his raving he is sublime on his day - turkey 2006, Valencia 2008, Brazil 2006, and that Singapore pole lap (although the race didn't go to plan) but that pole lap must be one of the most over looked in F1 history.

These are just my opinions. And I appreciate that not everyone will agree, if any infact. I just don't think it would be a bad idea.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

say_hello_2_the_angels wrote:I don't actually think this is a bad idea for 1 season. For a few reasons:

1. Massive rule change. An experienced driver who has been through several of these would be invaluable.

2. People say Massa hasn't been the same since his accident. But I think he's not been the same since the last major body work and tire overhaul changes. I think that these changes would actually suit massa - and that we might see car that suits the way he drives.

3. He'd be back with zero pressure. Knowing it's one year, in a new formula, just there to enjoy it. And when he enjoys his raving he is sublime on his day - turkey 2006, Valencia 2008, Brazil 2006, and that Singapore pole lap (although the race didn't go to plan) but that pole lap must be one of the most over looked in F1 history.

These are just my opinions. And I appreciate that not everyone will agree, if any infact. I just don't think it would be a bad idea.
I agree. Massa doesn't get the credit he deserves. I watched a 'tribute' video to him yesterday and on his day he was great. And even now, people give Bottas a lot of credit saying the Williams is horrible but they don't extend the same courtesy to Massa do they?

slide

Post by slide »

Williams have a young pupil driving next year and massa will be teacher , it does make perfect sense , you can't have 2 pupils with no teacher
next year at Williams is going to be pretty boring , unless pupil is a quick learner, then we might see some excitement at Williams - I hope they got a really big discount on 2017 engines cause they have thrown away a racy 2017 , and Williams will pale into significance for now

we won't see people saying in ten years " wow what about the year Williams had in 2017 , I remember it well"

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

ALESI wrote:
say_hello_2_the_angels wrote:I don't actually think this is a bad idea for 1 season. For a few reasons:

I agree. Massa doesn't get the credit he deserves. I watched a 'tribute' video to him yesterday and on his day he was great. And even now, people give Bottas a lot of credit saying the Williams is horrible but they don't extend the same courtesy to Massa do they?
Massa gets too much credit in terms of his driving.

Daniel Gallagher

Post by Daniel Gallagher »

Brazilian prominent motorsport site Grande Prêmio just confirmed Massa signed a contract with Williams yesterday, December 19th.

The contract is worth €6 million valid for 2017 and has a clause which invalidates the deal in case Mercedes doesn't go for Bottas. The official announcement will be made when Mercedes announces Bottas as Rosberg's replacement driver.

Source: http://grandepremio.uol.com.br/f1/notic ... to-rosberg

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Daniel Gallagher wrote:Brazilian prominent motorsport site Grande Prêmio just confirmed Massa signed a contract with Williams yesterday, December 19th.

The contract is worth €6 million valid for 2017 and has a clause which invalidates the deal in case Mercedes doesn't go for Bottas. The official announcement will be made when Mercedes announces Bottas as Rosberg's replacement driver.

Good to see Massa return.

This will also please Bernie as he wanted a Brazilian driver on the grid!
Feel The Fourth

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

mikeyg123 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. Apparently team strategy counts for nothing in your book but Williams has repeatedly made silly mistakes that cost both their drivers, and more importantly the team in the WCC and Massa has suffered the worst of it. Interesting how Massa detractors are quick to call him out on his crash at Brazil, saying it's evident he's lost it, yet Raikkonen, Grosjean, and even Verstappen who spun unaided CLEARLY telegraphed how terrible conditions were and they ALL lost their cars from out of nowhere due to conditions. Verstappen was merely [get this]… LUCKY AS FUDGE he didn't smack the armco, because as much people sang his praises for "keeping it off the wall" in Brazil 2016, he was just fortunate his car snapped back when and how it did. He was but a mere passenger and was at the mercy of whatever his car did while out of his control and wherever it would come to rest or end the spin. The one thing that wasn't is skill. I found it amusingly funny when Max was describing it as he watched the replay it after the race. The only thing missing was an "I meant to do that". And less we forget, he spun due to a mistake on his part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... t6G3Q#t=42
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

mikeyg123 wrote:Id rather take Di Resta.
So if you were running a team where driver continuity is critical, you would go for a driver who knows a heck of a lot less about the car? When a new car design comes out, if you do not have relevant feedback from the previous year you are almost guaranteed to slide back in development. Because if at the beginning of the season if progress is not forward, then the entire year will be one of woe and shame, probably driving off sponsors and surrendering the handsome payout at the end of the season.

So in detail,please describe exactly why you think di Resta would be a better choice than Massa?
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Lt. Drebin

Re: Massa signs €6 million deal to race for Williams in 2017

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Ohhhh! So he signed! :)
The end is near

scotlandforever

Post by scotlandforever »

Daniel Gallagher wrote:Brazilian prominent motorsport site Grande Prêmio just confirmed Massa signed a contract with Williams yesterday, December 19th.

Nothing in the UK media about this, I can't get over Williams over looking di Resta for a Massa, anyway good luck to Massa a nice pension top-up.

I hope Massa returns his retirement gifts?

I'm off to become a Monk after this news :frown:

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
So if you were running a team where driver continuity is critical, you would go for a driver who knows a heck of a lot less about the car? When a new car design comes out, if you do not have relevant feedback from the previous year you are almost guaranteed to slide back in development. Because if at the beginning of the season if progress is not forward, then the entire year will be one of woe and shame, probably driving off sponsors and surrendering the handsome payout at the end of the season.

So in detail,please describe exactly why you think di Resta would be a better choice than Massa?
For a start, Di Resta is test and reserve driver so is already inbeded in the team allowing them continuity.

But aside from that I would take a hungry Di Resta over a mentally checked out Massa all day. Especially as Di Resta would be about 5 million dollars cheaper. He also has links to Mercedes possibly keeping their engine partner sweet.

I think you overplay the need for continuity. Plenty of teams have changed both drivers and not -

"almost guaranteed to slide back in development. Because if at the beginning of the season if progress is not forward, then the entire year will be one of woe and shame, probably driving off sponsors and surrendering the handsome payout at the end of the season."

As you put it.

I can think of loads of examples where that hasn't happened.

So yes. if I was Claire Williams my first call would be to Di Resta.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Bigbazz wrote:Di Resta is at least as good as a well past his prime Massa, probably better. But Di Resta isn't a good reference for the team as he hasn't been driving the car for the last few years as Massa has. I don't see why Massa would take the offer though, he's not winning any races with Williams and he was already pretty happy to retire, the body-language and way he spoke after the end race.

Does Massa really need 6 million to spend another year working his balls off as a stand-in development driver for the team, who aren't going to be winning any races?
People work their balls off, as you put it, for a lot, lot less.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Banana Man wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:Oh, no, not Massa again. Cannot think of a more boring solution from a fan's point of view.
On the up side, he might finally be able to beat a team mate for the first time in about 12 years.

Then again...
Since 2008 to be precise. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

nixxxon wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
nixxxon wrote:From an entertainment point of view, I'd rather see Pastor Maldonado return to his debut team.
Although his relationship with Williams didn't end well, he has had a lot of experience with the team as well as a win in 2012. And I'll be honest, although he is well remembered for crashing, he really wasn't bad in 2015 at all. It is just his bad years that people remember him by. He had several very good races in 2015, especially Canada and Austria. It was mainly his awful luck that made him look bad. I mean he didn't finish any of the first 6 races and it was all due to mechanical problems. I would rather see Massa come back but Maldonado could possibly be another option and he may be better choice than Di Resta as he has at leased had 2 years experience in the hybrid era as well as the fact he's been racing with the team before. But I have no I dear how Maldonado's sponsors will affect his ability to get back into f1.
I dont think Maldonado is a great driver but he was at least a match for Bottas in 2013 and he should bring in more entertainment than Massa 8)
I don't think that Williams would ever entertain Maldonado again after his appalling attitude when he was at the team.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Looks like it may well be hit with hammer time for the robot now Massa is likely to be racing next year if Mercedes sign Bottas. Not a good thing to do to electronics! But seriously, if this is true, then the Robot must have a problem :lol: Just switch off your power each time Massa is on screen instead of using a hammer!

Daniel Gallagher

Post by Daniel Gallagher »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

For a start, Di Resta is test and reserve driver so is already inbeded in the team allowing them continuity.

But aside from that I would take a hungry Di Resta over a mentally checked out Massa all day. Especially as Di Resta would be about 5 million dollars cheaper. He also has links to Mercedes possibly keeping their engine partner sweet.

I think you overplay the need for continuity. Plenty of teams have changed both drivers and not -

"almost guaranteed to slide back in development. Because if at the beginning of the season if progress is not forward, then the entire year will be one of woe and shame, probably driving off sponsors and surrendering the handsome payout at the end of the season."

As you put it.

Yeah, because you, I and everyone else on this forum are really in the position to know exactly what to do and how if we were Claire Williams.

Laughable, really.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Daniel Gallagher wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

As you put it.

Yeah, because you, I and everyone else on this forum are really in the position to know exactly what to do and how if we were Claire Williams.

Laughable, really.
Then why do we bother discussing anything?

Blake

Post by Blake »

scotlandforever wrote:

Nothing in the UK media about this, I can't get over Williams over looking di Resta for a Massa, anyway good luck to Massa a nice pension top-up.

why not take Robot, who will be a vegetable after hitting himself in the head with a hammer, with you. it will give you something to do in your seclusion.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:Looks like it may well be hit with hammer time for the robot now Massa is likely to be racing next year if Mercedes sign Bottas. Not a good thing to do to electronics! But seriously, if this is true, then the Robot must have a problem :lol: Just switch off your power each time Massa is on screen instead of using a hammer!

Not a problem. Given the air time Massa gets, if Robot blinks in the right place that'll do the trick. Obviously have to do something else for Brazil as we have to allow extra time for Massa to have a good cry.

moby

Post by moby »

Blake wrote:
scotlandforever wrote:

why not take Robot, who will be a vegetable after hitting himself in the head with a hammer, with you. it will give you something to do in your seclusion.
Hitting a robot with a hammer is often called "reset"

mmi16

Post by mmi16 »

UnlikeUday wrote:Massa got $4.5 million a year whereas Bottas got $3.5 million a year in 2016.

No doubt, Massa is getting a pay hike but he should realise he was ousted to make way for the dollar kid. It could also be Williams saw a potential retirement in him much before he made an announcement & that's when they signed Stroll.

More than money, it matters if he still has the speed & the adrenalin running in his wins to score a podium!
Now, with Botas apparently moving on to MB, Stoll's contract REQUIRES Williams to have a established driver in the other seat. diResta doesn't fill that requirement.

Amazing how you think you have reality figured out - then it changes!

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. Apparently team strategy counts for nothing in your book but Williams has repeatedly made silly mistakes that cost both their drivers, and more importantly the team in the WCC and Massa has suffered the worst of it. Interesting how Massa detractors are quick to call him out on his crash at Brazil, saying it's evident he's lost it, yet Raikkonen, Grosjean, and even Verstappen who spun unaided CLEARLY telegraphed how terrible conditions were and they ALL lost their cars from out of nowhere due to conditions. Verstappen was merely [get this]… LUCKY AS FUDGE he didn't smack the armco, because as much people sang his praises for "keeping it off the wall" in Brazil 2016, he was just fortunate his car snapped back when and how it did. He was but a mere passenger and was at the mercy of whatever his car did while out of his control and wherever it would come to rest or end the spin. The one thing that wasn't is skill. I found it amusingly funny when Max was describing it as he watched the replay it after the race. The only thing missing was an "I meant to do that". And less we forget, he spun due to a mistake on his part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... t6G3Q#t=42
Yes but you see, F1 demands superstars and legends, and this is too good a story to let the truth get in the way. You know as well as I do that when Max is a 3x WDC this will be played again and again as PROOF of Max's awesome wet driving abilities. :lol: