Massa signs €6 million deal to race for Williams in 2017

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Daniel Gallagher

Massa signs €6 million deal to race for Williams in 2017

Post by Daniel Gallagher »

Well, Massa is retired, but think again.

According to Brazilian site Grande Prêmio, the offer is already upon Massa's table pending his signature.

It seems the biggest motivator is Martini because they can't really promote their brand with youngsters due to law restrictions including in the U.K.

It seems the Cinderella tale strikes again in Brazil after Barrichello answered a last call from Ross Brawn in the start of the 2009 season.

This is gonna be interesting.

Source: http://grandepremio.uol.com.br/mobile/f ... -principal

Edit:

Brazilian prominent motorsport site Grande Prêmio just confirmed Massa signed a contract with Williams yesterday, December 19th.

The contract is worth €6 million valid for 2017 and has a clause which invalidates the deal in case Mercedes doesn't go for Bottas. The official announcement will be made when Mercedes announces Bottas as Rosberg's replacement driver.

http://grandepremio.uol.com.br/f1/notic ... to-rosberg

Edit:

As I've informed last year with inside info from Brazilian site Grande Prêmio, Williams confirmed today that Felipe Massa will race for the Grove team to a one-year-deal in 2017.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... o-williams
Last edited by Daniel Gallagher on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikeyg123

Re: Massa offered €6 million to race for Williams in 2017

Post by mikeyg123 »

Id rather take Di Resta.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

So I suppose that answers the question of who's going to get the 2nd seat at Merc then.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

scotlandforever

Post by scotlandforever »

Daniel Gallagher wrote:Well, Massa is retired, but think again.

According to Brazilian site Grande Prêmio, the offer is already upon Massa's table pending his signature.

It seems the biggest motivator is Martini because they can't really promote their brand with youngsters due to law restrictions including in the U.K.

It seems the Cinderella tale strikes again in Brazil after Barrichello answered a last call from Ross Brawn in the start of the 2009 season.

This is gonna be interesting.

Source: http://grandepremio.uol.com.br/mobile/f ... -principal
If Martini are worried about law restrictions in the UK, Williams do have Paul di Resta on their books who is British.

Massa is a waste of time, by mid-season we will hear rumors about another retirement party in Brazil?

di Resta has something to prove in F1 and would be 100% pent committed to Williams and F1 that's what you need from a driver.
Last edited by scotlandforever on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

Di Resta is boring though and not really that good, then again if it gets him off Sky F1 then that would be a good thing.

scotlandforever

owenmahamilton wrote:Di Resta is boring though and not really that good, then again if it gets him off Sky F1 then that would be a good thing.
Yeah and the likes of Bottas - Massa etc have a brilliant sense of humor don't they?

Great we will have to put up with Mr Personality himself Damon Hill on SKY F1.

I would rather see di Resta in Williams than Massa, he was in retirement mode most of season, that's why Force India finished above Williams, Force India even had a smaller budget than Williams.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Di Resta is boring... so now F1 is a personality contest.

Massa is a funny guy usually, but any f1 boss would take a faster driver over a funnier driver obviously

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

owenmahamilton wrote:Di Resta is boring though and not really that good, then again if it gets him off Sky F1 then that would be a good thing.
I don't think anyone being "boring" should be a factor in whether they drive the car.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Obviously, I have no idea whatsoever. My hunch though is that Massa will decline and stick with his decision to retire, and that, if he would take up the offer, it would be as much for Bottas as it would be for himself. How close is Massa to Bottas?

mas

Post by mas »

I suspect he will accept. Another chance at the wdc with a brand new car which may by some fluke turn out to be the best and with a very tough teammate removed ? No-brainer, Xmas is going to come twice for Felipe this year 😉.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

So a driver should've some sling like Hamilton & be dating some singer as well?
Feel The Fourth

slide

Post by slide »

diresta over massa plz

Invade

Post by Invade »

Anyone know what salary Massa has been on over the last two years?

Lentulus

Post by Lentulus »

Invade wrote:Obviously, I have no idea whatsoever. My hunch though is that Massa will decline and stick with his decision to retire, and that, if he would take up the offer, it would be as much for Bottas as it would be for himself. How close is Massa to Bottas?
I wouldn't bet on that, seeing as his decision to retire was due to him not getting an offer he liked ;)

StanB123

Post by StanB123 »

I see some suggest Di Resta, but does he qualify for a super license at the moment? Or is this ine of these things that doesn't really matter anymore once you have raced in F1 before? I can't really figure it out from looking at Wikipedia ;).

scotlandforever

StanB123 wrote:I see some suggest Di Resta, but does he qualify for a super license at the moment? Or is this ine of these things that doesn't really matter anymore once you have raced in
F1 before? I can't really figure it out from looking at Wikipedia ;).
di Resta was Williams reserve driver last season so if something happened to one the drivers he could have to drive the car in question.

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

Invade wrote:Anyone know what salary Massa has been on over the last two years?
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/04/25/ ... -salaries/ gives it as $4.5 million. I doubt Massa needs the cash, but it is a huge big wad of cash. Not sure how much it matters but he would also move up in the all-time starts slightly too. From 8th to 6th probably.

I think I'd rather see Di Resta than Massa. I feel like the chance of Di Resta still having gas in the tank and something to show us is higher than Felipe.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

scotlandforever wrote:
StanB123 wrote:I see some suggest Di Resta, but does he qualify for a super license at the moment? Or is this ine of these things that doesn't really matter anymore once you have raced in
F1 before? I can't really figure it out from looking at Wikipedia ;).
di Resta was Williams reserve driver last season so if something happened to one the drivers he could have to drive the car in question.
But the rules have changed since then.

mas

Post by mas »

Williams are primarily interested in being profitable and Massa is far more marketable world wide than dour DiResta whose best performances only came when the pirellis were very fragile and that is the opposite direction they are taking next year. I also feel he killed his f1 career when he publicly slagged off his FI team one weekend.
I was surprised he was not fired for that but he was let go at the end of season.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

I think Massa would jump at the chance. Didn't he only retire because he had no options? He seems like someone who enjoys racing so I'd guess he'd be back like a shot if given the opportunity

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Oh, no, not Massa again. Cannot think of a more boring solution from a fan's point of view.

Bigbazz

Post by Bigbazz »

Di Resta is at least as good as a well past his prime Massa, probably better. But Di Resta isn't a good reference for the team as he hasn't been driving the car for the last few years as Massa has. I don't see why Massa would take the offer though, he's not winning any races with Williams and he was already pretty happy to retire, the body-language and way he spoke after the end race.

Does Massa really need 6 million to spend another year working his balls off as a stand-in development driver for the team, who aren't going to be winning any races?

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:Oh, no, not Massa again. Cannot think of a more boring solution from a fan's point of view.
On the up side, he might finally be able to beat a team mate for the first time in about 12 years.

Then again...
I remember when this website was all fields.

paulsf1fix

Post by paulsf1fix »

Williams could sign Di Resta for less than that and would still get good results, if he gets the Williams drive at least he won't be commentating next year!

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Strangely, Di Resta hasn't been in any news regarding a return. I wonder if we all are hoping a little too far as of now? Also would Di Resta be an appropriate replacement for Bottas according to Williams?

Massa's form had been on the down sling much earlier in the season. This probably points that he was more inclined towards retiring. It's not that much early in the season he was notified that Williams will be replacing him with Stroll.

Massa may or may not accept the offer by Williams. It could depend on many factors. If he was really lost his mojjo, then Williams better look towards some other driver.
Feel The Fourth

Daniel Gallagher

Post by Daniel Gallagher »

Felipe Massa has just ended his career. In Brazil and Abu Dhabi the Brazilian celebrated for 14 years in Formula 1 extensively. But the parting was short-lived. As AUTO BILD MOTORSPORT learned from the Williams team, it is clear that Massa will again be in the running for the British team in 2017.

This makes the statement of Claire Williams sense. The Vice-Teamchef had just said, "If we were to let Valtteri move, then only if we had an experienced and credible alternative available - such as Felipe Massa, for example."

The deal is to be announced however only at the beginning of the new year. Just like the successor of Nico Rosberg at Mercedes. Despite all this, Williams's development suggests that Valtteri Bottas will be driving the second silver arrow - and not Mercedes Junior Pascal Wehrlein.

The fact that the German did not get the bid, should also lie to world champion Lewis Hamilton. The Briton is not supposed to be a big fan of weirs - because he is too fast for him! "It's important to me who's sitting in the second car." And "As soon as a closer selection exists, our contract is bound to talk to me." Hamilton had also suggested: "Bring Fernando, Brings Sebastian. I drive against everyone. But when it comes to what's best for the team, it's probably not a good idea. "

Whom Hamilton really means is Pascal Wehrlein. With the DTM champion at his side, the Briton is reminded of the duel Alonso-Hamilton 2007 at McLaren. The boys' pound - then Hamilton - the world champion - then Alonso - made the hell hot. In the end Ferrari won the title because the McLaren riders made each other's life difficult. Ergo is the care of the Mercedes Junior as an order. Because the Swabian is internally actually already now as faster than Bottas. Especially after the last tire tests in Abu Dhabi, Hamilton is said to have pulled the fear-pulling line. With the new tires, Wehrlein drove two race distances at an absolute top level.
Hamilton can breathe a sigh of relief: Wolff sees mistakes

The German can, however, cope with the probable cancellation. He has good chances to drive the Sauber team after the change of ownership and team restructuring.

Source: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 49571.html
Bild has just confirmed that Massa is racing in 2017.

(sorry about the Google translate. I have no idea how to read German)

froze

Post by froze »

Wasn't Jenson saying something like he might've made the decision to retire a little too soon? Williams should really try to get Button.
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

froze wrote:Wasn't Jenson saying something like he might've made the decision to retire a little too soon? Williams should really try to get Button.
But wasn't Button too happy when he retired early in Abu Dhabi?

I don't think he'll return for 2017.
Feel The Fourth

slide

Post by slide »

is massa the best that Williams can do ?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

froze wrote:Wasn't Jenson saying something like he might've made the decision to retire a little too soon? Williams should really try to get Button.
Williams did really try to get Button but he turned them down earlier in the year. What Button meant by that statement was that he made the decision to retire to soon because he mentally checked out.

Ruste13

Post by Ruste13 »

Kinda takes some of the anticipation out of the Merc announcement.

Next stop....livery reveals.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Massa got $4.5 million a year whereas Bottas got $3.5 million a year in 2016.

No doubt, Massa is getting a pay hike but he should realise he was ousted to make way for the dollar kid. It could also be Williams saw a potential retirement in him much before he made an announcement & that's when they signed Stroll.

More than money, it matters if he still has the speed & the adrenalin running in his wins to score a podium!
Feel The Fourth

scotlandforever

Daniel Gallagher wrote:
Felipe Massa has just ended his career. In Brazil and Abu Dhabi the Brazilian celebrated for 14 years in Formula 1 extensively. But the parting was short-lived. As AUTO BILD MOTORSPORT learned from the Williams team, it is clear that Massa will again be in the running for the British team in 2017.

This makes the statement of Claire Williams sense. The Vice-Teamchef had just said, "If we were to let Valtteri move, then only if we had an experienced and credible alternative available - such as Felipe Massa, for example."

The deal is to be announced however only at the beginning of the new year. Just like the successor of Nico Rosberg at Mercedes. Despite all this, Williams's development suggests that Valtteri Bottas will be driving the second silver arrow - and not Mercedes Junior Pascal Wehrlein.

The fact that the German did not get the bid, should also lie to world champion Lewis Hamilton. The Briton is not supposed to be a big fan of weirs - because he is too fast for him! "It's important to me who's sitting in the second car." And "As soon as a closer selection exists, our contract is bound to talk to me." Hamilton had also suggested: "Bring Fernando, Brings Sebastian. I drive against everyone. But when it comes to what's best for the team, it's probably not a good idea. "

Whom Hamilton really means is Pascal Wehrlein. With the DTM champion at his side, the Briton is reminded of the duel Alonso-Hamilton 2007 at McLaren. The boys' pound - then Hamilton - the world champion - then Alonso - made the hell hot. In the end Ferrari won the title because the McLaren riders made each other's life difficult. Ergo is the care of the Mercedes Junior as an order. Because the Swabian is internally actually already now as faster than Bottas. Especially after the last tire tests in Abu Dhabi, Hamilton is said to have pulled the fear-pulling line. With the new tires, Wehrlein drove two race distances at an absolute top level.

The German can, however, cope with the probable cancellation. He has good chances to drive the Sauber team after the change of ownership and team restructuring.

If that's the case I hope Massa returns his retirement presents or maybe he will hold onto then for another retirement party in Interlagos 2017?

I fear that Williams will be fighting it out with Manor and Sauber next year other midfield teams have stronger driver line-ups for next season?

Your car does not get much sponsor tv coverage at the back of the grid.

As a Nigel Mansell fan Williams is the team that I have always liked even when Mansell left the team I kept on supporting them.
Last edited by scotlandforever on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

From an entertainment point of view, I'd rather see Pastor Maldonado return to his debut team.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Daniel Gallagher wrote:

I think all Bild has confirmed is that they took a part interview from C4 with Hamilton, a press statement from Williams, and concocted a nice little story.

Its what most of us expect will happen; but if you believe the story, Wehrlein is the next Max, already frightening Lewis, putting manners on Bottas, and at the very top level after two tyre tests. At this very moment Wehrlein must be fighting off Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren to get that ellusive Sauber drive that everyone in the pit lane is chasing. :uhoh:

slide

Post by slide »

massa actually said he has some thinking to do and mentioned a decision was needed in the new year

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

nixxxon wrote:From an entertainment point of view, I'd rather see Pastor Maldonado return to his debut team.
Although his relationship with Williams didn't end well, he has had a lot of experience with the team as well as a win in 2012. And I'll be honest, although he is well remembered for crashing, he really wasn't bad in 2015 at all. It is just his bad years that people remember him by. He had several very good races in 2015, especially Canada and Austria. It was mainly his awful luck that made him look bad. I mean he didn't finish any of the first 6 races and it was all due to mechanical problems. I would rather see Massa come back but Maldonado could possibly be another option and he may be better choice than Di Resta as he has at leased had 2 years experience in the hybrid era as well as the fact he's been racing with the team before. But I have no I dear how Maldonado's sponsors will affect his ability to get back into f1.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
nixxxon wrote:From an entertainment point of view, I'd rather see Pastor Maldonado return to his debut team.
Although his relationship with Williams didn't end well, he has had a lot of experience with the team as well as a win in 2012. And I'll be honest, although he is well remembered for crashing, he really wasn't bad in 2015 at all. It is just his bad years that people remember him by. He had several very good races in 2015, especially Canada and Austria. It was mainly his awful luck that made him look bad. I mean he didn't finish any of the first 6 races and it was all due to mechanical problems. I would rather see Massa come back but Maldonado could possibly be another option and he may be better choice than Di Resta as he has at leased had 2 years experience in the hybrid era as well as the fact he's been racing with the team before. But I have no I dear how Maldonado's sponsors will affect his ability to get back into f1.
I dont think Maldonado is a great driver but he was at least a match for Bottas in 2013 and he should bring in more entertainment than Massa 8)

mas

Post by mas »

Maldonado is a crash magnet and he publicly slagged off Williams for holding him back. His ship has sailed, if it's not going to be Massa it will be Button/DiResta etc, i.e. someone SANE and relatively normal !

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Let us examine this conundrum from the viewpoint of Williams. Mercedes must be offering someone's first-born to get the services of Bottas, and it appears the deal is close to being consummated. But in Formula One, it is right and proper to retain at least one driver to be able to provide relevant feedback on car development. If you do not have that reliable source of information, the team could wander off into wasted time and money developing the car down a cul-de-sac.

Although I see many championing di Resta, he does not fit that job description. It is possible he may be faster than Massa, but in terms of car development and the team going in the right direction, Massa is the sole candidate.

Williams are presently in a precarious and advantageous position. No doubt Mercedes will now provide full support to them. In the last few years they have climbed back out of the basement, but are still standing with their toes over the precipice. Yes, the 2017 car will be a completely new design, with new challenges. But even then, many systems and design philosophy will carry over. For the team's future, it is imperative they do not slide back, they must at least retain their position within the manufacturer's standings. 2017 will be a transition year for Williams, they must not slide backwards, because 2018 has the possibility of being much better. By then Lance Stroll will be seasoned and able to properly contribute to the car and team's forward progress. A new driver will be found, and IF, and this is the very important part, IF the team has a good car to work with, 2018 has the potential to be very rosy.

And it is possible the team will not realize these aspirations without the valuable feedback with either Massa or Bottas.

Formula one is so interesting, just a few moths ago Massa was being politely being shown the door. It is no secret Bottas was desired, and the new kid Stroll being parachuted into the team. Massa, although still a good driver, was looking at no ride from anyone, and the only honrorable way was to retire with grace. But as soon as Rosberg dropped his bombshell, suddenly Massa became Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, everyone suddenly loved him. Santa (Williams) suddenly needed his red nose (experience within the team) to get the job done.

Merry Christmas everyone, I wish each and all of you joy, happiness, and prosperity for you and your loved ones.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.