Do you think Alonso would want to go to Mercedes?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Do you think Alonso wants to go to Mercedes?

Yes.
80%
No.
20%

Total votes: 84

Prema

Re: Do you think Alonso would want to go to Mercedes?

Post by Prema »

You just need to read the part of the first sentence, If Mercedes play fair and stop blowing up Hamilton's engines, and you shake your head. And then, shake your head one time more - after you have moved away from that post.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Peter McG. wrote:no cos mclaren gonna beast it next year

Thanks for the laugh m8. That was really something :-P

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Laz_T800 wrote:I'd say not a chance whilst Hamilton is still there.
Why would he want to run the risk of having 2007 all over again.

I'd love to see it though. :twisted:
What will happen again? Either wont win championship?
If that is the end result, HELL YES! Lot of people would want to see someone not in Mercedes win.

Henri Royce

Post by Henri Royce »

POBRatings wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:I agree that Alonso would probably take the Merc drive. Imo he is confident enough going against Hamilton (or anyone else) and would slightly shade Lewis (or anyone else) in wins if paired. But not so sure Lewis would be thrilled. He had to pull out all stops to beat Rosberg, but Alonso would be 'something else'.
Neither Hamilton nor Alonso would be afraid to go against anyone else on the grid (contrary to the musings of keyboard warriors on the internet). As far as your conclusion; the last time they were teammates things didn't work out that way. How do you think they compare to back then? Who do you think has improved more?
I think Alonso would be the more relentless, consistently fast driver of the two. Imo Hamilton has retained his great natural feel and talent, which has never needed much work. One of the fastest rookies in history. Alonso too did not need muhc work on his driving ability; but politically I think he's matured to cope better than he did in 2007.

Alonso is, like Stewart, Moss, Prost, Senna, Schumacher, more dedicated. I think if paired today with Hamilton, the win scores would be about like Senna's vs Prost' s at McLaren-Honda in 1988, 1989: close but Alonso slightly ahead and on season average.
You seriously overrate Alonso way too much, Massa was in many occasions faster then Alonso so how on earth do you think Alonso would be faster then Hamilton. Alonso is not that good as people like and media try to make out he is. TBH i'm so tired of people like posting this kind of sonsense about so called being fast while we all could see Alonso is slow.

Henri Royce

Post by Henri Royce »

ElevenTenths wrote:If Mercedes play fair and stop blowing up Hamilton's engines there is not a driver on the grid that can better Hamilton. If Alonso couldn't put Hamilton away as a rookie, I wonder what makes people think he can do so now. I woudn't even be close.

I see some already making excuses talking about it being "Lewis's team". Lewis has been competitive from day one of every team he has joined and just as Ricciardo proved against Vettel, it really does not matter how long your teammate has been with the team.
:thumbup: This. Well put mate

Henri Royce

Post by Henri Royce »

ElevenTenths wrote:If Mercedes play fair and stop blowing up Hamilton's engines there is not a driver on the grid that can better Hamilton. If Alonso couldn't put Hamilton away as a rookie, I wonder what makes people think he can do so now. I woudn't even be close.

I see some already making excuses talking about it being "Lewis's team". Lewis has been competitive from day one of every team he has joined and just as Ricciardo proved against Vettel, it really does not matter how long your teammate has been with the team.
:thumbup: This. Well put mate

Henri Royce

Post by Henri Royce »

trento wrote:

U can say the same for Max n Dan when the top teammates couldn't put them away.

Not saying Lewis is inferior but lots of people, perhaps yourself forget he did lose to someone n I'm not referring to Rosberg. Well, is Button better than Alonso?
You mean Button "outscoring" Hamilton ?. Had you actually seen the 2012 season ?, Hamilton decimated Button including lapping him in Canada, was it not for the mechanicsl issues Hamilton had then Button would not outscore Hamilton.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

I see you're already coming out with the playing fair excuses - works both ways.

I do agree about the "Lewis team" thing, though. Teams won't pay millions to get a driver of Alonso's calibre on board then try to relegate him to 2nd place in team effort.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Henri Royce wrote:
POBRatings wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:I agree that Alonso would probably take the Merc drive. Imo he is confident enough going against Hamilton (or anyone else) and would slightly shade Lewis (or anyone else) in wins if paired. But not so sure Lewis would be thrilled. He had to pull out all stops to beat Rosberg, but Alonso would be 'something else'.
Neither Hamilton nor Alonso would be afraid to go against anyone else on the grid (contrary to the musings of keyboard warriors on the internet). As far as your conclusion; the last time they were teammates things didn't work out that way. How do you think they compare to back then? Who do you think has improved more?
I think Alonso would be the more relentless, consistently fast driver of the two. Imo Hamilton has retained his great natural feel and talent, which has never needed much work. One of the fastest rookies in history. Alonso too did not need muhc work on his driving ability; but politically I think he's matured to cope better than he did in 2007.

Alonso is, like Stewart, Moss, Prost, Senna, Schumacher, more dedicated. I think if paired today with Hamilton, the win scores would be about like Senna's vs Prost' s at McLaren-Honda in 1988, 1989: close but Alonso slightly ahead and on season average.
You seriously overrate Alonso way too much, Massa was in many occasions faster then Alonso so how on earth do you think Alonso would be faster then Hamilton. Alonso is not that good as people like and media try to make out he is. TBH i'm so tired of people like posting this kind of sonsense about so called being fast while we all could see Alonso is slow.
When were these 'many occasions?'

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

pendulumeffect wrote:Alonso has had to swallow a lot of pride in recent years. Lewis has been a bit petulant at times, but let's remember Nico made some really really bad errors like Spa 2014 (tapping out Lewis) and Spain 2016 (trying to defend in wrong engine mode) and Lewis has some justification.
I agree there have been times when Rosberg made mistakes, but those two are among the worst examples to quote. No matter how loud the team showed their anger, and penalized Rosberg for the first one, in neither case was there an official stewards' verdict against him. Barcelona was well explained, but Francorchamps wasn't (was it even investigated, or left as the racing incident it really was?) Compare the Francorchamps incident to the start at Webber's first win, and you see that Hamilton simply turned in too soon. You have to expect a hit if you turn in without clearing somebody's front.

I'm not sure what you mean by Alonso swallowing his pride; these last few difficult years have shown his many qualities many times. But your remark has got me thinking Mercedes getting him on board would mean quite an alternative kind of punishment for ignoring team orders... :D Still, I think he has more of an understanding where McLaren will be than where Mercedes are likely to be next year.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

trento

Post by trento »

Henri Royce wrote:
trento wrote:

Not saying Lewis is inferior but lots of people, perhaps yourself forget he did lose to someone n I'm not referring to Rosberg. Well, is Button better than Alonso?
You mean Button "outscoring" Hamilton ?. Had you actually seen the 2012 season ?, Hamilton decimated Button including lapping him in Canada, was it not for the mechanicsl issues Hamilton had then Button would not outscore Hamilton.
One race is not one season.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Fiki wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:Alonso has had to swallow a lot of pride in recent years. Lewis has been a bit petulant at times, but let's remember Nico made some really really bad errors like Spa 2014 (tapping out Lewis) and Spain 2016 (trying to defend in wrong engine mode) and Lewis has some justification.
I agree there have been times when Rosberg made mistakes, but those two are among the worst examples to quote. No matter how loud the team showed their anger, and penalized Rosberg for the first one, in neither case was there an official stewards' verdict against him. Barcelona was well explained, but Francorchamps wasn't (was it even investigated, or left as the racing incident it really was?) Compare the Francorchamps incident to the start at Webber's first win, and you see that Hamilton simply turned in too soon. You have to expect a hit if you turn in without clearing somebody's front.

I'm not sure what you mean by Alonso swallowing his pride; these last few difficult years have shown his many qualities many times. But your remark has got me thinking Mercedes getting him on board would mean quite an alternative kind of punishment for ignoring team orders... :D Still, I think he has more of an understanding where McLaren will be than where Mercedes are likely to be next year.
Mercedes were hardly going to complain about Rosberg to the stewards at Spa, although that collision was one that Rosberg definitely got away with.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Just on your last paragraph there, I disagree. I think we've seen quite a few times that a driver takes some time to get up to speed in a new team. Rosberg was closest to Hamilton in 2013 IMO, and Button was quite close to Alonso last year (from what little we could make out) whereas this year Alonso has comfortably had the upper hand.

It doesn't always happen, Vettel/Kimi at Ferrari is pretty much the reverse of it for example, but IMO it's not uncommon for a driver to perform better in his second year with a team than the first.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Not sure. But Mercedes should definitely not get him.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

GingerFurball wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Mercedes were hardly going to complain about Rosberg to the stewards at Spa, although that collision was one that Rosberg definitely got away with.
It's not because a team gets in touch with race control, that an incident is investigated. And I agree Mercedes could hardly be expected to complain about Rosberg to them, because it was a simple racing incident. If their real problem was indeed that Rosberg attacked on the first lap, then they were not exactly consistent themselves in the following years.
Rosberg got away with it because there was nothing to blame him for, according to the rules.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Henri Royce wrote:You seriously overrate Alonso way too much, Massa was in many occasions faster then Alonso so how on earth do you think Alonso would be faster then Hamilton. Alonso is not that good as people like and media try to make out he is. TBH i'm so tired of people like posting this kind of sonsense about so called being fast while we all could see Alonso is slow.
Massa in many occasions faster than Alonso... Yeah sure... Please check again the results in the four years in Ferrari. Alonso completely destroyed massa and Felipe himself said he is "more perfect than Schumacher".

Henri Royce

Post by Henri Royce »

nixxxon wrote:
Henri Royce wrote:You seriously overrate Alonso way too much, Massa was in many occasions faster then Alonso so how on earth do you think Alonso would be faster then Hamilton. Alonso is not that good as people like and media try to make out he is. TBH i'm so tired of people like posting this kind of sonsense about so called being fast while we all could see Alonso is slow.
Massa in many occasions faster than Alonso... Yeah sure... Please check again the results in the four years in Ferrari. Alonso completely destroyed massa and Felipe himself said he is "more perfect than Schumacher".
Only because of his No1 status. IMO Alonso is overrated, if you ask people who claim Alonso is the most complete they can't give you a proper answer.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Henri Royce wrote:Only because of his No1 status. IMO Alonso is overrated, if you ask people who claim Alonso is the most complete they can't give you a proper answer.
Really? Because I think it's pretty easy. Alonso is considered the most complete because he has no weaknesses; he's quick in qualifying (much quicker than he's usually given credit for), quick in the race, good at managing his tyres, good in the wet, good at defending, good at overtaking, clean, good at setting up his car (we saw that demonstrated this year a few times when Button had to copy his setup), not easily rattled by pressure, doesn't have season-long slumps, is able to extract the maximum from difficult cars...

The other top drivers - with the possible exception of Lewis - don't tick all those boxes. Ricciardo is ferocious in qualifying, but he's weak in wet conditions and his race pace has been matched by his teammates at times. Verstappen is incredible in the rain and formidable when battling other cars, but his qualifying is a weak point and he gets involved in too many incidents. Vettel has now had serious slumps in 2 of the last 3 years, and clearly lets pressure get to him. Kimi is absurdly sensitive to his car.

Now, can you give a proper answer in return as to why Alonso is overrated? What sort of proof do you have that he isn't one of the equal-best drivers on the grid, which is how he's rated?
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Blake

Post by Blake »

Now, can you give a proper answer in return as to why Alonso is overrated?
you are wasting your time, Exediron.

It ain't likely to happen
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

Henri Royce wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Only because of his No1 status. IMO Alonso is overrated, if you ask people who claim Alonso is the most complete they can't give you a proper answer.
They will bully you away.. Better stay quiet, but you are not alone ;)

I really want Toto to put Alonso in the 2nd Mercedes to see the most complete driver at work.. So Toto please, make it happen..

ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

To be fair to Alonso, he deserves another chance for a title shot. If he can win it the third time as he wishes, he may consider to retire, or to continue if he still wants it. With McLaren-Honda his chance will come 2-3 years from now, not sure he'll still be there or not. I just can't see such a talent retires not from a high position.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Yes. I'm certain his lawyers have been combing through every detail of his McLaren contract
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Henri Royce wrote:
trento wrote:

Did you see 2011?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Blake wrote:
Now, can you give a proper answer in return as to why Alonso is overrated?
you are wasting your time, Exediron.

It ain't likely to happen
Exactly, because there aren't any reasons. Really, the reasons Mercedes wouldn't sign him are circumstantial and in no way related to Alonso's talent. Those being the cost involved with getting him out of his McLaren contract, and concerns they might have about his and Lewis' ability to work as a team, or at least for the team.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

mcdo wrote:Yes. I'm certain his lawyers have been combing through every detail of his McLaren contract
:thumbup:

Its also likely that Merc. and Lewis would block the idea - 2007 gave a few warning clues about teaming prima donnas!

Edit - Having said this, it seems likely that unless Alonso is sure that Merc. will be better than Mclaren next season - he wouldn't take the chance.

slide

Post by slide »

lauda saying a driver will be chosen before Christmas and will be given an early Christmas present, but who ?

Donington93

Post by Donington93 »

No because he knows he would be broken into a million pieces by a focused Hamilton. I expect Lewis would out qualify him by a large margin, have about double his total of wins and 1.5x or so his total points. Lewis will be screaming for vengeance next year and adding an over the hill Alonso as a teammate would make it doubly do.

Alonso's best and really only hope is for McLaren to produce a masterpiece.

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

Yes he wants, but this is not the right circumstance.

So he won't.

Robot

Post by Robot »

mcdo wrote:Yes. I'm certain his lawyers have been combing through every detail of his McLaren contract

Knowing he was going to McLaren again... with Dennis, I think is safe to say he put some escape clausules in his contract.

Migen

Post by Migen »

I believe Alonso is itching to jump in a front of the grid car like Mercedes.
Alonso and Hamilton were the best drivers of the season for me, and I`d love to see them battle it out on the same car, once again.

But even though its very unlikely to happen, more than anything I`d love to see my favorite driver, Vettel, paired with Hamilton. The decline of Vettel's reputation from 2014 - 2016, can only be regained by beating Hamilton... difficult task yes, but not impossible.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

What will I like?

I'd really like for Alonso to be in a dominant car, as so far it's easier to receive praises in a car that is in the midfield.

Cue Hamilton crapping all over Vettel in one, till he got in to one and realising winning race after race isn't as easy as it seems!

breathemyexhaust

Post by breathemyexhaust »

Exediron wrote:
Henri Royce wrote:Only because of his No1 status. IMO Alonso is overrated, if you ask people who claim Alonso is the most complete they can't give you a proper answer.
Really? Because I think it's pretty easy. Alonso is considered the most complete because he has no weaknesses; he's quick in qualifying (much quicker than he's usually given credit for), quick in the race, good at managing his tyres, good in the wet, good at defending, good at overtaking, clean, good at setting up his car (we saw that demonstrated this year a few times when Button had to copy his setup), not easily rattled by pressure, doesn't have season-long slumps, is able to extract the maximum from difficult cars...

The other top drivers - with the possible exception of Lewis - don't tick all those boxes. Ricciardo is ferocious in qualifying, but he's weak in wet conditions and his race pace has been matched by his teammates at times. Verstappen is incredible in the rain and formidable when battling other cars, but his qualifying is a weak point and he gets involved in too many incidents. Vettel has now had serious slumps in 2 of the last 3 years, and clearly lets pressure get to him. Kimi is absurdly sensitive to his car.

Now, can you give a proper answer in return as to why Alonso is overrated? What sort of proof do you have that he isn't one of the equal-best drivers on the grid, which is how he's rated?
That was a pretty good summa of the top tier's individual strengths and foibles. How I see it is that Lewis would have to adjust to the fact again of the race not being over once he is leading, as it always is with Rosberg. It would make the in and out laps for two and three stoppers way more important than they are now. Expect lots of races like Germany 2011 (which Alonso could well have won). Also, we would finally have to acknowledge how good at qualifying Nico was because I'm quite certain Lewis would have an easier time of it in Q with Fernando. Lewis would have to have his starting procedures absolutely nailed as Alonso would almost be effectively in the first grid slot even if he was in the second, he is so unerring in that area. I do agree with those voices saying we would see an especially dialed in Hamilton were this scenario to occur. Everything is different subconciously when you know you are competing with a PEER, and not someone you really don't rate on your level. When you know you are to be pitted in a legacy-defining matchup, all systems are on go.

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

breathemyexhaust wrote:
Exediron wrote:

That was a pretty good summa of the top tier's individual strengths and foibles. How I see it is that Lewis would have to adjust to the fact again of the race not being over once he is leading, as it always is with Rosberg. It would make the in and out laps for two and three stoppers way more important than they are now. Expect lots of races like Germany 2011 (which Alonso could well have won). Also, we would finally have to acknowledge how good at qualifying Nico was because I'm quite certain Lewis would have an easier time of it in Q with Fernando. Lewis would have to have his starting procedures absolutely nailed as Alonso would almost be effectively in the first grid slot even if he was in the second, he is so unerring in that area. I do agree with those voices saying we would see an especially dialed in Hamilton were this scenario to occur. Everything is different subconciously when you know you are competing with a PEER, and not someone you really don't rate on your level. When you know you are to be pitted in a legacy-defining matchup, all systems are on go.
Both accurate and informative asessments :thumbup:

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Donington93 wrote:No because he knows he would be broken into a million pieces by a focused Hamilton. I expect Lewis would out qualify him by a large margin, have about double his total of wins and 1.5x or so his total points. Lewis will be screaming for vengeance next year and adding an over the hill Alonso as a teammate would make it doubly do.
Donington... If Hamilton will be screaming for vengeance (on whom, I wonder?), then how focused is he going to be? Wasn't he focused this year? If he wasn't, why wasn't he? His assumed lack of focus allowed a slower team-mate to win the title. Why would the driver, considered by many to be the best in the world, be unable to trouble him?

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Looks like he is a strong candidate, so far it looks like the Redbull drivers and Vettel are out. I can't see them picking Raikonnen. Werhlein has a good shot, but so does Alonso, if he wants it. The only thing is if Alonso quits on Mclaren Honda it will be confirmation that he wasn't really pleased with their "progress" after all.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Fiki wrote:
Donington93 wrote:No because he knows he would be broken into a million pieces by a focused Hamilton. I expect Lewis would out qualify him by a large margin, have about double his total of wins and 1.5x or so his total points. Lewis will be screaming for vengeance next year and adding an over the hill Alonso as a teammate would make it doubly do.
Donington... If Hamilton will be screaming for vengeance (on whom, I wonder?), then how focused is he going to be? Wasn't he focused this year? If he wasn't, why wasn't he? His assumed lack of focus allowed a slower team-mate to win the title. Why would the driver, considered by many to be the best in the world, be unable to trouble him?
It would have been quite a feat to beat a teammate with a dominant car that had 100% reliability. When is the last time a world champion had 100% reliability anyway? Hamilton came close to pull it off though. It is getting awfully hard to accept when people are starting to focus on talking about how Rosberg beat Hamilton. Just saying outscore Hamilton is a lot fairer imo.

slide

Post by slide »

Alonso has zero loyalty to any team , all he wants is a championship winning car , but merc are not interested in paying huge sums to get drivers out of contracts

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Laz_T800 wrote:I'd say not a chance whilst Hamilton is still there.
Why would he want to run the risk of having 2007 all over again.

I'd love to see it though. :twisted:
Exactly and people shouldn't forget this, when Alonso offered his services to Mercedes in 2014 that was to replace Hamilton.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

trento wrote:

Button beat Alonso on points in 2015 and was only 6 points behind Alonso this year when he announced his retirement, there wasn't any big performance difference between them at that point, but of course is he better than Alonso then the answer is no, but is Button better than Hamilton then the answer is also no.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

trento wrote:
Henri Royce wrote:
trento wrote:

One race is not one season.
What season did you actually watch in 2012.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition