Do you think Alonso would want to go to Mercedes?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Do you think Alonso wants to go to Mercedes?

Yes.
80%
No.
20%

Total votes: 84

thermal

Do you think Alonso would want to go to Mercedes?

Post by thermal »

Simple question: do you think Alonso would want to go to Mercedes for 2017?

flyboy10

Re: Do you think Alonso would want to go to Mercedes?

Post by flyboy10 »

Who wouldn't? Apart from Nico? What if Hamilton retires tomorrow?
Last edited by flyboy10 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter McG.

Post by Peter McG. »

no cos mclaren gonna beast it next year

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

In a heart beat and as I said in another thread, I reckon he'd go virtually for a fee free contract for 2017.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Peter McG. wrote:no cos mclaren gonna beast it next year
I'm hearing this since 2 years.
Feel The Fourth

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

I've given up guessing as I didn't think for one second that Kimi would go back to Ferrari, or Alonso to Mclaren.

Having been very wrong twice, it would be foolish to make it three times!

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

I'd say not a chance whilst Hamilton is still there.
Why would he want to run the risk of having 2007 all over again.

I'd love to see it though. :twisted:

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

The clock resets to a certain extent, so it's a bigger gamble than it would have been the last few years. It depends on how confident he is that McHonda have resolved their issues and will produce a car capable of challenging again. Honda's building an entirely new power unit, don't forget, so it depends on how good a selling job they've done to him that it will be a monster next year. I don't think Lewis being at Mercedes will give him any pause for thought at all. He's confident he's the best and probably just wants the best machinery

James14

Post by James14 »

Yes I think he would jump at the chance. At his stage in his career you would take proven over potential any day of the week. I'm sure he is sick of being sold potential every year with McLaren and Ferrari before that.

Merc have done everything so well you cant imagine they would slip too far and at this point if they do you would not put money on McLaren being the ones to beat them.

trento

Post by trento »

Mclaren at best 3rd or 4th next year. Alonso has to gamble as time isn't on his side. He should go if he's wanted

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

100% yes. 2017 could very well be his last year in F1 regardless of how good or bad the car he's got is. I think he's fallen out of love with the sport and has said to himself he'll see out his contract then leave. Maybe a car capable of winning races would reignite his passion for F1, but let's be honest: 2017 will still be about fuel saving, tyre saving, engine saving, gearbox saving, and so on. And that is everything he hates about F1.

So if he has the chance to go to Mercedes for a year, potentially have the best car on the grid, and fight for that elusive third WDC, he would bend over backwards to do so. I honestly wonder if he would just walk away from F1 should Mercedes approach McLaren for his services and McLaren refuse to let him leave. Perhaps not immediately, but certainly if the McLaren looks average at best once testing begins.

He'll probably prove me completely wrong now!
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Warheart01

Post by Warheart01 »

Do bears s*it in the woods?

Yes.

jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

Yes, he wants to prove he is the best up against Hammy. And I bet he feels he is pizzing away his last years in F1 at a second rate team. Watching Jensen retire would make that all the more poignant. Wouldn't it be great if it happened!!!

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Yes, without a single doubt. As a fan I know him quite well, he wishes to be there right now even if he has a very tough team mate like Hamilton.

When a you get a seat like that available, you automatically forget about your current midfield team, no matter the prospects for next year for both teams.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

No, I think McLaren/Honda will be a proper team in 2017, Honda must have targeted year 3 as the breakthrough year, plus there is no guarantee Mercedes will dominate again, Alonso would prefer to be in a Newey car, who is done with the Americas cup project now. That won't happen though obviously. Watch out for Red Bull. 2 great drivers, revised Renault PU and Newey, very nice package.

Underviewer

Post by Underviewer »

Alonso will try, I'm sure. Even if it doesn't happen next year he'll be poised to move to Mercedes in 2018, surely.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Current age 35yrs so in 2018 37 years old, is that likely?

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

I'm sure that right now Alonso is doing everything in his power to get into that car. Time is running out in his career and the chance to get into a top seat is something he will pounce on with all of his might. Unfortunately, with his luck, McLaren would likely end up having the best car next year if he left the team.

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

sandman1347 wrote:Unfortunately, with his luck, McLaren would likely end up having the best car next year if he left the team.
Doubtful. Honda still has a huge deficit to makeup on Mercedes, and McLaren is losing their fuel supplier for next year. Not to mention, there is a civil war going on among the higher ups. This would be the perfect time for Alonso to split if he could.

moby

Post by moby »

The only thing that may put him off is that he would be going to Hamiltons team. He is established there and Alonso would be the new boy and have to make his own networks. Thoughts of how things were in Mclaren v how he perceived them may still be in his mind.

That being said, Even if the considered himself finishing second in every race ( which he would not consider for a moment ) that would put him second on current form, it would still be 8 places above where he is now.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

If he joins Mercedes that will be confirmation that he really has no hope for his current team to move up the grid. It would be the same for Vettel, Verstappen and Ricciardo, if that seat were offered to them. There is a major change of regulations next year, this decision is not a straight forward one for anyone in the top three teams. For guys like Bottas, Werlhein, Perez, the decision is a whole lot easier.

Henri Royce

Post by Henri Royce »

Who say's Mercedes wants him ?. When Alonso black mailed McLaren who do you think paid for the fine ? lol, Mercedes did. And the fact that he rejected Mercedes when they asked if he wanted to race for them, RBR he rejected too. So i bet my house it won't be Alonso and i wouldn't seeing him at Mercedes aswel.

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

I agree that Alonso would probably take the Merc drive. Imo he is confident enough going against Hamilton (or anyone else) and would slightly shade Lewis (or anyone else) in wins if paired. But not so sure Lewis would be thrilled. He had to pull out all stops to beat Rosberg, but Alonso would be 'something else'.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Unless he is privy to some ridonkulous information regarding the progress of McLaren, should the option be there I imagine that Alonso will fight for the seat. He's in it to win it and he wants to also match Senna's 3 titles (no source at hand but I recall him saying that).

I believe he deserves at least one more realistic crack at the WDC, whether it be with Mercedes or McLaren.

The best and most dreamy scenario would be relative parity next year between the four juggernaut teams, with Alonso staying and a further genuine contender joining Mercedes so that we can have a huge battle royale for the title. I think we COULD get something close to parity between three teams next season, and don't imagine McLaren joining them. Realistically though I'm tipping Mercedes and Redbull to be the strongest teams and for there to be a 3-way battle for the WDC unless Mercedes replace Rosberg with some real quality. Also, if the gaps between teams are greatly diminished and Ferrari are only slightly behind, they can put their full force behind Vettel and add a contender to that battle royale.

Hey, I think we're due after the events of recent seasons. Fingers crossed, eh.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

POBRatings wrote:I agree that Alonso would probably take the Merc drive. Imo he is confident enough going against Hamilton (or anyone else) and would slightly shade Lewis (or anyone else) in wins if paired. But not so sure Lewis would be thrilled. He had to pull out all stops to beat Rosberg, but Alonso would be 'something else'.
Neither Hamilton nor Alonso would be afraid to go against anyone else on the grid (contrary to the musings of keyboard warriors on the internet). As far as your conclusion; the last time they were teammates things didn't work out that way. How do you think they compare to back then? Who do you think has improved more?

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

sandman1347 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:I agree that Alonso would probably take the Merc drive. Imo he is confident enough going against Hamilton (or anyone else) and would slightly shade Lewis (or anyone else) in wins if paired. But not so sure Lewis would be thrilled. He had to pull out all stops to beat Rosberg, but Alonso would be 'something else'.
Neither Hamilton nor Alonso would be afraid to go against anyone else on the grid (contrary to the musings of keyboard warriors on the internet). As far as your conclusion; the last time they were teammates things didn't work out that way. How do you think they compare to back then? Who do you think has improved more?
I think Alonso would be the more relentless, consistently fast driver of the two. Imo Hamilton has retained his great natural feel and talent, which has never needed much work. One of the fastest rookies in history. Alonso too did not need muhc work on his driving ability; but politically I think he's matured to cope better than he did in 2007.

Alonso is, like Stewart, Moss, Prost, Senna, Schumacher, more dedicated. I think if paired today with Hamilton, the win scores would be about like Senna's vs Prost' s at McLaren-Honda in 1988, 1989: close but Alonso slightly ahead and on season average.

Invade

Post by Invade »

I think Hamilton is pretty incensed at the 2016 season though and will have fury and form on the race track in 2017 that will rival any other season from his career. As such, if paired with Alonso it could be 2007 all over again, but actually with a higher level displayed by both.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

sandman1347 wrote:
Fear and preference are two different things. I'm sure that neither Lewis nor Alonso would be afraid of facing each other, but equally both would undoubtedly prefer the teams to be focusing their resources on them. Both are highly temperamental and high maintenance. Driver protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, I would bet the farm on fireworks and immense management headaches should they pair up again. It would IMO make the Lewis-Nico dynamic look like child's play. Interesting for the fans, not so much for the team.

I think Lewis took Alonso (and everyone else!) by surprise in 2007 and it really rattled him. This time he would be fully prepared and wouldn't take things for granted.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

POBRatings wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
I think Alonso would be the more relentless, consistently fast driver of the two. Imo Hamilton has retained his great natural feel and talent, which has never needed much work. One of the fastest rookies in history. Alonso too did not need muhc work on his driving ability; but politically I think he's matured to cope better than he did in 2007.

Alonso is, like Stewart, Moss, Prost, Senna, Schumacher, more dedicated. I think if paired today with Hamilton, the win scores would be about like Senna's vs Prost' s at McLaren-Honda in 1988, 1989: close but Alonso slightly ahead and on season average.
:thumbup:

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

I believe he would like to get into that Mercedes. Just about every competitive drivers wants a competitive car. McLaren are not, while Mercedes are. While it is not impossible for McLaren to suddenly become the best in 2017, the odds are much better that Mercedes will be competitive.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

POBRatings wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I think teaming with Alonso would bring the very best out of Hamilton. It's quite clear that his performance is influenced by the level of competition that he faces. I think he would be at his best with Alonso or Vettel in the other car.

It also fascinates me the way that a subset of people seem to want to cling to Lewis's rookie season as though it was the height of his career. He has improved dramatically since then. Yes, he had the best rookie year the sport has ever seen but he has matured and evolved since then and is a much better all arounder now (despite the fact that flimsy tires and other rules changes have gone against his greatest strengths).

It would be interesting to see what the bookies think if this matchup actually comes together.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

lewis: "I'm interested to see who would want to be my team-mate - and respect anyone that would want to."

Sounds like he is daring anyone to get in that seat. Im 100% sure it wont be vettel.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

kleefton wrote:lewis: "I'm interested to see who would want to be my team-mate - and respect anyone that would want to."

Sounds like he is daring anyone to get in that seat. Im 100% sure it wont be vettel.
Toto has pretty much ruled out Vettel, Ricciardo & Verstappen.
Toto Wolff: There are a few candidates who are clearly not available: Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo of Red Bull, Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari. Everyone else, we have to analyze.
I'm sure I saw this quote on an article earlier today/yesterday but now I can only find it on this Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNj0VwRA2A4/

Far from a legit source but I definitely saw it elsewhere earlier as well.

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

Don't agree that Lewis would have any issues facing Fernando. I actually think he'd relish it.

pendulumeffect

Post by pendulumeffect »

I am quite sure Lewis and Fernando would get on better than they did at McLaren. Ron Dennis and the team orders ban and spygate was the problem, the actual racing between Lewis and Fernando was pretty clean compared to all the crashes LH and NR had.

Alonso has had to swallow a lot of pride in recent years. Lewis has been a bit petulant at times, but let's remember Nico made some really really bad errors like Spa 2014 (tapping out Lewis) and Spain 2016 (trying to defend in wrong engine mode) and Lewis has some justification.

I think Fernando respects Lewis more now that he has succeeded away from Ron's protection but whoever Lewis' partner is they aren't going to have an easy time of it!

ElevenTenths

Post by ElevenTenths »

If Mercedes play fair and stop blowing up Hamilton's engines there is not a driver on the grid that can better Hamilton. If Alonso couldn't put Hamilton away as a rookie, I wonder what makes people think he can do so now. I woudn't even be close.

I see some already making excuses talking about it being "Lewis's team". Lewis has been competitive from day one of every team he has joined and just as Ricciardo proved against Vettel, it really does not matter how long your teammate has been with the team.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

pendulumeffect wrote:I am quite sure Lewis and Fernando would get on better than they did at McLaren. Ron Dennis and the team orders ban and spygate was the problem, the actual racing between Lewis and Fernando was pretty clean compared to all the crashes LH and NR had.

Alonso has had to swallow a lot of pride in recent years. Lewis has been a bit petulant at times, but let's remember Nico made some really really bad errors like Spa 2014 (tapping out Lewis) and Spain 2016 (trying to defend in wrong engine mode) and Lewis has some justification.

I think Fernando respects Lewis more now that he has succeeded away from Ron's protection but whoever Lewis' partner is they aren't going to have an easy time of it!
I agree with You but inevitably, things will flare up once again. Childhood friendship of Nico & Lewis couldn't stop them from ignoring each other as title fight always brings about ego's in the picture.

If the 2nd seat were to be fixated as a no. 2 driver status, then only things between Lewis & the other team mate will be sweet & not sour as there will be clear goals & responsibilities assigned to the no. 1 & no.2 driver.
Feel The Fourth

trento

Post by trento »

ElevenTenths wrote:If Mercedes play fair and stop blowing up Hamilton's engines there is not a driver on the grid that can better Hamilton. If Alonso couldn't put Hamilton away as a rookie, I wonder what makes people think he can do so now. I woudn't even be close.

I see some already making excuses talking about it being "Lewis's team". Lewis has been competitive from day one of every team he has joined and just as Ricciardo proved against Vettel, it really does not matter how long your teammate has been with the team.
U can say the same for Max n Dan when the top teammates couldn't put them away.

Not saying Lewis is inferior but lots of people, perhaps yourself forget he did lose to someone n I'm not referring to Rosberg. Well, is Button better than Alonso?

trento

Post by trento »

UnlikeUday wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:I am quite sure Lewis and Fernando would get on better than they did at McLaren. Ron Dennis and the team orders ban and spygate was the problem, the actual racing between Lewis and Fernando was pretty clean compared to all the crashes LH and NR had.

I agree with You but inevitably, things will flare up once again. Childhood friendship of Nico & Lewis couldn't stop them from ignoring each other as title fight always brings about ego's in the picture.

If the 2nd seat were to be fixated as a no. 2 driver status, then only things between Lewis & the other team mate will be sweet & not sour as there will be clear goals & responsibilities assigned to the no. 1 & no.2 driver.
It will flare up as long as there's a just as quick driver partnering him. He clashed with almost any teammate he's been with except the slow ones

Blake

Post by Blake »

ElevenTenths wrote:If Mercedes play fair and stop blowing up Hamilton's engines there is not a driver on the grid that can better Hamilton. If Alonso couldn't put Hamilton away as a rookie, I wonder what makes people think he can do so now. I woudn't even be close.

Woud you just get over it, please. Mercedes played fair, someting that seems bother some of the more rabid of Hamilton fans. The played the last race just like they did the first 19... to have played differently to satisfy Lewis would have been unfair. They didn't blow up Hamilton's engines and it is stupid to suggest otherwise.

To answer the "what makes people think he (Alonso) beat Hamilton now??? My answer would be that I think Fernando Alonso is the best driver on the grid over the past several years. That is but my opinion of course, but I suspect there are a few who would agree with me.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15