Massa
2%
Other
4%

Total votes: 167

Jezza13

Rightio. Who's it gunna be??

Post by Jezza13 »

So who's getting the drive in 2017 then ?

Taking bets now.

Put the whole field down plus a couple of ring ins at the end.
Last edited by Jezza13 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

funkymonkey

Re: Rightio. Who's it gunna be??

Post by funkymonkey »

Alonso FTW! with his exit clause, they might not even have to buy out his contract.

Second preference to Wehrlin. 3rd Button. Nobody else is good enough or available.

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

I've gone for Bottas. Rock Solid No 2. One of Toto's proteges. Easily bought out of his contract with cheaper engines for Williams.

Think Wehrlein will be considered too raw. Alonso too fiery (as much as i'd like to see it) Button too British.
Last edited by AFCTUJacko on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leave me alone.....I know what I'm doing

Herb

Post by Herb »

Who I think it'll be: Werhlein.
Who I want it to be: Alonso.

I get the feeling Merc will go for the easy option. I suspect Ham/Alonso would make Ham/Rosberg look peaceful.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

I hope its going to be: Alonso

Realistically I think its going to be: Wehrlein
Mercedes driver and also german so it makes a lot of sense.

Bottas could also be a possibility given the Merc-Williams links.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

I'd love it to be Alonso or Vettel but I can't see it being either. I don't see either being released from their contracts simply because there isn't a good replacement readily available, particularly for Ferrari. I also don't think they would risk now alienating Lewis by bringing in such a competitive driver, and may see this as the perfect opportunity to adopt more of a #1/#2 approach to try and avoid any of the issues they've had the past two seasons.

Realistically I'd expect Wehrlein to get promoted. He's German, Mercedes have supported him for a long time and - in spite of Ocon getting the FI seat while Pascal remains unsigned - I still think he is above Esteban on the Mercedes food-chain, so to speak. Of course, if I'm wrong about that then Ocon would be the guy. It just depends who Mercedes perceive to be the better option in-house, and I think that's Wehrlein. If they go outside of their own young drivers, the guy I'd most realistically expect is Bottas. Toto Wolff is on his management team. Mercedes (and Toto) have a good relationship with Williams and could offer them not just an immediate replacement in Pascal Wehrlein, but also perhaps a financial incentive (in addition to buying out his contract) through their engine deal.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

shay550

Post by shay550 »

If Alonso, I can see him retiring if he gets the championship at the first shot. He may retire if he loses. Would be epic 10 years later same team.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Bottas is managed by Wolff and they may be able to cut a deal with Williams for Mercedes engines next year. He's also (IMO) a virtual clone of Nico, in that he's fast but unspectacular, so would fit in quite nicely.

Failing that, I don't see any big name moves as they are all locked in. Will probably be Wehrlein if they think he's capable

Grizzly B

Post by Grizzly B »

Probably going to be Wehrlein, this may be the reason he didn't get the Force India drive.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

I really want it to be Alonso, but I think it'll be Bottas.

Disappointed there's no Maldonado option.
IV

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Wehrlein is Wolff's top protegé, so really a no-brainer.

moby

Post by moby »

I posted on the other thread, intending it as a starter, but Di Resta is still on their books and would save a lot of musical chairs. I can not see it happening, but who knows?

I can not really see any Merc covered drivers on the grid being ready yet. Yes they have a good car, and assume it will be top 3 next year, but they cannot afford to take next year in particular to develop a driver.

If it was my call, I would have Button. One year, no ties and sort things from there.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

It will be Wehrlein.

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

It will come down to whether they think Wehrlein is ready or not.

If the answer is yes, they put him in.

If it's no, they park him somewhere else for a year and sign a solid placeholder (most likely Bottas IMO)
Leave me alone.....I know what I'm doing

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

AngusWolfe wrote:
Disappointed there's no Maldonado option.
Thats why I put "other".

My 2 cents? I think ideally Merc would be looking for a RB 2011/12/13 type scenario. A #1 with a #2 good enough to get them the WCC and pick up a win here and there but not that good that he's going to really worry the #1 too much.

In that case Bottas is the obvious choice with is link to Toto and Williams link with Merc. I also think Sainze could do a decent job as well but no way would RB let him go. And if Bottas goes to Merc, who goes to Williams? Button? Massa ?

The cleanest, and most boring choice all round would be Wehrlein but I'm not convinced Merc will go that way.

Bottas for me.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

pendulumeffect

Post by pendulumeffect »

I want Massa!!!!!

Imagine the crashes between Felipe and Lewis!!

No seriously, it ought to be Alonso or Button. The best qualified driver ought to be put against Lewis or 2017 might be a snoozefest.

matzy

Post by matzy »

I assumed Werlein would get the seat the moment I heard - only because it offers Mercedes the opportunity to try out fresh talent. I think it would be the boldest of the options, if you are only looking at those currently in F1 at least. The rest, as I see it, are more secure/safe options - Bottas, Perez, Alonso, Vettel, Button, et al - you know what you are getting with all of them - and it comes at a price too.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

People seem to be forgetting that it would be hugely expensive to buy Alonso out of Mclaren. A top driver hasn't broken contract with a team to move for years.

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

mikeyg123 wrote:People seem to be forgetting that it would be hugely expensive to buy Alonso out of Mclaren. A top driver hasn't broken contract with a team to move for years.
Yes your right Vettel isn't a top driver (sarcasm)

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

mikeyg123 wrote:People seem to be forgetting that it would be hugely expensive to buy Alonso out of Mclaren. A top driver hasn't broken contract with a team to move for years.
The thing is I'd reckon Alonso would be at that point where he'd be so desperate of a competitive drive again that he'd drive for Merc for virtually nothing (like Senna's offer to Williams in 1993) so there's potentially a bit of saving with not having to pay Rosberg and potentially getting Alonso on the cheap.

Same would apply to Massa and Button. Top shelf drivers at bargain basement prices.

Grizzly B

Post by Grizzly B »

He more than likely has performance based clauses which he can trigger.

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

I'd love to see Alonso in that other car, although I suspect it won't happen.

If they could rely on continuing the competitive advantage they've had for the past three years, you'd have to imagine they'd take the less stressful option and get a compliant and fast but not too fast number two, who can follow Hamilton home in a comfortable second place. However with a potentially resurgent Red Bull (and maybe others) next year they need to get the strongest pairing possible.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

moby wrote:I posted on the other thread, intending it as a starter, but Di Resta is still on their books and would save a lot of musical chairs. I can not see it happening, but who knows?

I can not really see any Merc covered drivers on the grid being ready yet. Yes they have a good car, and assume it will be top 3 next year, but they cannot afford to take next year in particular to develop a driver.

If it was my call, I would have Button. One year, no ties and sort things from there.
Di Resta hasn't raced in F1 since 2013, he has no experience of the hybrid formula and with the added downforce as well he'd be out of his league. might as well get Nick Hiedfeld in, at least he doesn't complain about the team. Button has a contract with McLaren, just not to race.

if it's not Wehrlien, Alonso (with Button taking his place), or Bottas (with most likely Nasr or possibly Giovinazzi/Frijns/Da Costa replacing him at Williams) then the only other person I can see getting it is Perez.
IV

Bigbazz

Post by Bigbazz »

I don't think an unproven talent makes sense, I'd like to see Alonso in the seat but otherwise Bottas is a likely candidate given his connections to Toto. Outside chance of Jenson coming back but I don't think that is likely, he seems happily retired just as surely as Rosberg is.

Alonso is the best choice for us the fans and for Mercedes as a team, it's such a shame he's chained to Mclaren Honda who are just a mess.

Prema

Post by Prema »

owenmahamilton wrote:
Yes, and his contracts were small too (sarcasm too)
(though, he definitely had the exit clause)

BAR-JB3

Post by BAR-JB3 »

Its going to be Wehrlein, there is no doubt about it. Makes way to much sense on every single level

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Number 2 for Hamilton - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

This is like MotoGP when a big seat becomes available the youngster will always get first look in this day and age

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

owenmahamilton wrote:
Ferrari didn't have to buy Vettel out of Red Bull.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

BAR-JB3 wrote:Its going to be Wehrlein, there is no doubt about it. Makes way to much sense on every single level

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

This is like MotoGP when a big seat becomes available the youngster will always get first look in this day and age
but Wehrlien isn't a Vinales, who's obviously the most talented guy of his generation. He's not really proven at all and if there is competition for the constructors championship Mercedes will want someone who can keep up with the Red Bull and Ferrari drivers, who are all world class
IV

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

BAR-JB3 wrote:Its going to be Wehrlein, there is no doubt about it. Makes way to much sense on every single level

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

The problem is, he's had just one season's experience in a car he hasn't been able to show his potential. It would be better if he moved up a step by taking a seat and Williams and Bottas moving up to Mercedes. Wherlien should then be able to show how good he is more easily and Mercedes will be keeping a close eye on his performance. I think Mercedes may want someone who has more experience and had been good throughout each season. I know Wherlein is very close within Mercedes but I think it is probably more likely they will go for Bottas. He's a very solid and consistent driver and he's also closely related to Mercedes.

BAR-JB3

Post by BAR-JB3 »

AngusWolfe wrote:

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

but Wehrlien isn't a Vinales, who's obviously the most talented guy of his generation. He's not really proven at all and if there is competition for the constructors championship Mercedes will want someone who can keep up with the Red Bull and Ferrari drivers, who are all world class
I did not say he was Vinales, to me he is more of a Ben Spies, the general point is the way the motorsport world is at the moment there seems to be a move to have youth especially if the other driver in the team is world class, you can take that gamble and see if it works out sometimes it doesn't e.g. spies and sometimes it does.

To me this is like when Hamiton left McLaren and they had Button and they put in a Perez who had the talent but was not ready yet when there were much more experienced drivers out there and probably quicker at that moment to give the ride to. Or when Alonso left McLaren and they put in Hieki. Sometimes youth and connections pay off.

moby

Post by moby »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

The problem is, he's had just one season's experience in a car he hasn't been able to show his potential. It would be better if he moved up a step by taking a seat and Williams and Bottas moving up to Mercedes. Wherlien should then be able to show how good he is more easily and Mercedes will be keeping a close eye on his performance. I think Mercedes may want someone who has more experience and had been good throughout each season. I know Wherlein is very close within Mercedes but I think it is probably more likely they will go for Bottas. He's a very solid and consistent driver and he's also closely related to Mercedes.

Not sure about the team harmony part either

BAR-JB3

Post by BAR-JB3 »

moby wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

Not sure about the team harmony part either
I think it would be harmonious to begin with. My thinking is Hamilton would not see him as a threat and also Werhlein would probably just be very very grateful to find himself in that situation consedring he was recently not deemed good enough yet for force india, I'm not saying it will last but to begin with I think it would suit both drivers and it would let Hamiltons feel like he is number 1

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

BAR-JB3 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

I did not say he was Vinales, to me he is more of a Ben Spies, the general point is the way the motorsport world is at the moment there seems to be a move to have youth especially if the other driver in the team is world class, you can take that gamble and see if it works out sometimes it doesn't e.g. spies and sometimes it does.

To me this is like when Hamiton left McLaren and they had Button and they put in a Perez who had the talent but was not ready yet when there were much more experienced drivers out there and probably quicker at that moment to give the ride to. Or when Alonso left McLaren and they put in Hieki. Sometimes youth and connections pay off.
I don't think Mercedes can afford to do that if they want the title next year though. Especially when other drivers like Bottas have the same connections and is proven to be at least as good if not better than a multiple race winner.
IV

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

So want it to be Alonso

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

i would think werhlein for one year and then some of the bigger names are out of contract after next season. unless one of the bigger names are on the phone now, trying to get out of their current contract.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Whoever it is, I'm quite looking forward to it. It's pretty much been proven beyond reasonable doubt that Lewis is easily the better of the two Merc drivers, so it will be good to see someone else step up the challenge and take him on next year. I so wish it would be Alonso, or Vettel, but I think sadly that won't happen

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

So Bottas will agree to be the no. 2 driver?
Feel The Fourth

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

I would love it to be Alonso, but...complicated.

I would also love it to be Verstappen (that would be a 'fire' team :)) ), but first he must beat Ricciardo convincingly.

froze

Post by froze »

Enter Hectopascal.
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

AngusWolfe wrote:
BAR-JB3 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Mercedes Backed - Tick
Age - Tick
Pace - Tick
Future Sorted - Tick
Team Harmony - Tick
Available - Tick

I don't think Mercedes can afford to do that if they want the title next year though. Especially when other drivers like Bottas have the same connections and is proven to be at least as good if not better than a multiple race winner.
Bottas is a contracted driver though so it wouldn't be as straight forward. Plus, I'm not convinced Bottas would do a lot better than Wehrlein. If Mercedes think Wehrlein is currently almost as good as Bottas then they may as well put him in the car.